Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - A3 envelope

Options
  • 04-10-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

I posted some forms to Cork on Wednesday evening in an A3 envelope. I asked the man in the shop, not a Post Office, what stamp I would need and he said 55 cent. Could anyone confirm if this is the case?

I'm a bit concerned as the An Post website specifies 95 cent for a "large envelope." Does anyone know what would would happen to the envelope if the postage is insufficient? Really wish I'd included a return address now .. hindsight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

An Post will probably open probably opened the envelope to find out out your address and return it to you, or they might just deliver have delivered it anyway. There used to be "Postage Due" labels for letters with insufficient postage, and the amount would be collected from the addressee, but I don't know if they still do that.

If the envelope was big enough to hold an unfolded A3 page (twice the size of A4), then it was a large envelope and 55c was not enough.
    If you meant A5 (half the size of A4) then 55c was enough.

Edit:
    Just noticed that it was posted last Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Thanks, really helpful.

EDIT: Yes, I meant A5 .. A3 would have been huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭lau1247

my guess is that it'll get there..

I posted an A5 envelope with some letters and 10 lapel pins to china recently..

Can't remember how much exactly how much the lady at the post office charged me but I remember it was less than a euro.. Didn't think of much until I post it through the letterbox.. Once I got home I checked online at an post website and it should have been a bit more which got me worried.. It eventually arrived, three weeks late instead of a few days..

So going to cork shouldn't be an issue..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Cheers, I got confirmation that it did indeed arrive. Good ol' An Post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

A4 needs 95c. I think anything smaller than that is 55c - the a4 doesn't fit in the machines or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Look at the Rates Information here and then look at Shape and Size, tells you all you need to know. Envelopes come in C sizes eg C4, C5.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/PostalRatesHome.htm?gclid=CPD9zYHQvKQCFQz-2AodPGCbiw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

A5 envelope & smaller and less than 5mm in depth = 55c
    Larger than A5 and up to 400mm length & 300 width and less than 25mm in depth = from 95c (100g)

Advertisement