Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally getting my license sorted- recommend a starter gun?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Spend most of my time on boards over in the angling forum- but hopefully more time over here in the future!
    Finally getting my license sorted (have land owners permission) and will
    be looking to join a club in Dublin / Wicklow (have two in mind).

My only concern is one is rifle only and the other is shotgun and rifle.
    I have experience with shotguns only and would prefer to get a shotgun first,
    but i have always liked the idea of target shooting with a rifle.

One big question;

Is it easier to get a shotgun license over a rifle license or is that a rumour?

also, would anyone care to recommend a good started shotgun (for clays + some pheasant) or rifle (target) or would I be better off using a few different ones and seeing which suits me best?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

zacmorris wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

Spend most of my time on boards over in the angling forum- but hopefully more time over here in the future!

Welcome aboard.
    Is it easier to get a shotgun license over a rifle license or is that a rumour?

Honestly it is down to the Super of your district. I have heard of Supers that grant shotguns quicker/easier than rifles, but its not a question anyone here can answer with any degree of accuracy simply because under the law you should be judged on your ability to hold any firearm regardless of make and model. I can say this though that under the current SI for home security the minimum level required for a shotgun only is for a trigger lock and to be disassembled and each piece stored seperately. A rifle will require a gun safe.

I have said on several occassion i believe a safe to be a vital piece of equipement and anyone considering a firearm (shotgun or rifle) should look to getting a sfe regardless. Again though these are MINIMUM requirements and your Super will have the last say as to what he wants installed.
    ...........also, would anyone care to recommend a good started shotgun (for clays + some pheasant)................

For about €1,000 you would a great selection of both new and second hand shotguns. Two big questions would be how much have you to spend and which do you prefer, over/under or semi-auto? If its clays with some game shooting i would suggest an Over/Under. Bettinsoli are a good, reliable and decent shotgun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwhtN0FPBfNrZ4c_z7br5lk0nigQ1YTJHs1-mdKEt4RFsYCIA&t=1&usg=__7x5Y3VXfHGaFBqUfq7gmQfQoMDk=

Owned by Beretta they have the pedigree without the larger price tag. The Diamond line comes in around €1,000, but as with all shotguns you can get them for €800 up to €1,400. There is quite a good market for second hand shotguns at the moment also. With Beretta, Browning and other makes of a "higher" quality shotgun going for up to €1,400 max. Best advice is to look around. A good shotgun will pick you rather than vice versa so do not let the brand draw you to a gun. Fit is all important regardless of name. Shotguns such as Baikal ..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoAWMcUrgHjQGUosS1WM6_6zpkkYeBlU_JwTZ3-GmI7GWBmLI&t=1&usg=__TB0aKruIWR0ZgyWv6dE07eXmWr8=

..............are popular with some while others would not touch them, and at around €500 - €700 new the price really cannot be beaten. If its semi-auot you are looking for my own preference is the Beretta AL 391, standard model, €1,000.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVcVmW_NfjufGNe5GTeGeELpXteM1ZtY3-7ADhOBYlrLKGrPs&t=1&usg=__3XTdHzuhyWp_cw4vA9YAH6z5x4Q=

.............. or rifle (target).............

A CZ .22lr ...........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXzt2fAsYXyUy6nlYULCcm8nZ2cVnl9-CdgVt-fhXW9xM-P84&t=1&usg=__Lm7J6YxsN3_cQ0vsZNsThgCbR_s=

...............is about the cheapest to buy and run. They are quite an accurate rifle for the price and would (in the right hands) keep up with alot of the upper priced rifles. They start at €400, but factor into that the mounts, rings, scope, equipement for target shooting, gun safe and you are looking at €1,000 - €1,200 depending on selection of extras.

Your other options include Anschutz. They are pretty much one of the most accurate rifles in any category you can buy. The 1710 D..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgo04CDFVVGtLYc8mqqQ6OBN8sz9mL5H5QN0iSgc613D09IoA&t=1&usg=__VTXz7SSTYEQJUZqMwFKa77uni0w=

........... springs to mind. It is a hunting style rifle that is well capable of winning most competitions you wish to enter as well as doing some game shooting if that is you bag. As with the shotgun money is the issue. The 1710 goes for about €1,500. Again with mounts, scope, etc, etc you are looking at €2,000 - €2,200. If its a pure target rifle any game shooting is of no interest to you with it then i would look out for an Anschutz match 54.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPdp7_EsbHKGI11MPLPt10fXv-6YL7Oh1J8H3RSE5BjMo3FMg&t=1&usg=__Omtz9UfhUOtyZGV3uvuk_HcmdiA=

These rifle are up to 40 years old, but are so accurate they are still used today. They cost around €400 - €500 so with gear you have a dedicated target rifle for the same price as the CZ hunter.

.............or would I be better off using a few different ones and seeing which suits me best?

Absolutely. Go out to ranges and look around. When you narrow down a few firearms you would like go to different dealers and see whats available and which model suits you best. Do not buy until you are 100% comfortable and happy with it. Its a costly mistake if you change your mind soon after buying. So if something doesn't feel quite right, leave it.

If you have it narowed down and cannot make a decision come back here and ask and the lads will give you first hand info on the pros and cons of each gun.

Best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Wow, thanks for the reply.
    Some great info there.

I suppose I would probe be looking to start off shooting clays first to be honest. If anyone can reccommend a good club in the Dublin area (south / wicklow) or down in Carlow Kilkenny as I spend a good bit of time down there too- please pm me ;) i have found one, but not sure about it...

My bidget for a starter shotgun would be around 300-500 hopefully includin ammo + case. Will prob just buy a gunsafe too as recommended- better safe than sorry i suppose.

Another question- I suppose applying for a shotgun + rifle license starting out would be wishful thinkning? Am I better off going for one and then applying for another down the line.
    Or, again, is it just down to the supe rin question!?

Thanks again for all yuor help.

Look forward to finally getting going!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If anyone can reccommend a good club in the Dublin area (south / wicklow) or down in Carlow Kilkenny as I spend a good bit of time down there too- please pm me ;) i have found one, but not sure about it...

The ICPSA are the NGB for clay shooting in Ireland. Here is their website and a list of clubs. All contact info and such is also on this website. If you are only interested in clays this is best. For gun clubs try the NARGC website or here is a list (somewhat) of ranges/clubs for some target shooting, rifle or shotgun.
    My budget for a starter shotgun would be around 300-500 hopefully includin ammo + case. Will prob just buy a gunsafe too as recommended- better safe than sorry i suppose.

There are options regardless of budget. For €500 you could look at many shotguns. If clays are your choice i would strongly suggest an O/U. There is some dislike for semi-autos on a firing line. For less than €500 you could get a second hand Baikal or Yildiz possibly even Bettinsoli or Lanber. For €500 to €900 you are looking at new Bettinsoli, Lanber and good second hand Beretta, Browning, Miroku. Don't sacrifice quality for price. If it doesn't feel right no matter the price don't go for it.

If your budget is the same for a rifle then you are definitely looking at CZ. Thats not a compromise by any means. €500 - €600 will get you a good quality second hand one with scope and possibly bipod. They are a fantastic rifle and will last as long as you if properly cared for.

Gun safes can be got for as little as €100. Enough for 2-4 guns and you'll get a better one second hand for the same money.
    Another question- I suppose applying for a shotgun + rifle license starting out would be wishful thinkning? Am I better off going for one and then applying for another down the line.
    Or, again, is it just down to the supe rin question!?

It is really down to your Super,but from a "legal" point of view your application is based on its merits. Do you have a valid reason for wanting the firearms? Can you securely store them? Are you a member of an authorised range, gun club or have the necessary land permissions to use the firearms? If this is your first time to apply for these firearms do you have the necessary competency courses done?

These are a few of the questions. Some lads i know went from having no firearms to owning 3 within 6 months. Some applied for each one seperately others applied all at once. Its your decision on that. As each application has 3 months to be processed you could in fact be waiting 6+ months to get both firearms. Why not drop into your FO (Frearms Officer) and talking to him/her. See what they think ad what they will be looking for. This will give you better and more accurate info than any guess work i could do.

Why not take a scroll down or search through the "For Sale/Wanted" section. Lots of different types of firearms for sale with pictures and some at great prices.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks again for the info- very helpful.
    Spoke to my local Firearms Officer last night and he was very helpful I have to say!
    Just have to join a club and put a deposit on a gun now!

All I need is a trigger guard to the time-being

Looks like my gun budget will be slightly less now due to the reg + subs fees of most clubs.

Look forward to getting setup (but not looking forward to the cost :) )

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Thanks again for the info- very helpful.
    Spoke to my local Firearms Officer last night and he was very helpful I have to say!
    Just have to join a club and put a deposit on a gun now!

All I need is a trigger guard to the time-being

Looks like my gun budget will be slightly less now due to the reg + subs fees of most clubs.

Look forward to getting setup (but not looking forward to the cost :) )

Thanks again

If you want a good shotty on a budget the Baikal are hard to beat.

I bought mine for £200punts and sold it for €200 several years later.

• Advertisement

If you want a good shotty on a budget the Baikal are hard to beat.

I bought mine for £200punts and sold it for €200 several years later.

Thanks Tack, was looking at the Yildiz as well- seem slike a similar price range for used guns.

Will have a search for a few.

Cheers.

Advertisement