Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router, !!!!

• 04-10-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

I don't often post on this forum however after having used the Cisco EPC2425 I just had to have a rant!!! I can't remember the last time I've ever had such a bad experience with broadband!!!

I moved into my girlfriends apartment about three weeks after and was happy to hear she had broadband with UPC. I moved from Dublin 11 to Dublin 15 btw. I noticed that the modem/router she was using was a Cisco EPC2425 and I thought to myself "nice one" I work in IT and do a bit of admin on the Cisco Switches so I shouldn't have any problems.

Problem 1. I tried downloading using bittorrent the connection just drops!!

Problem 2. I was unable to bridge my Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router to the Cisco EPC2425 http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/routers/Linksys-WRT610N-Wireless-N-Router-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53779501VVcatId552009VVviewprod.htm . I spent hours configuring the settings on the Cisco EPC2425 such as enabling and disabling firewall settings, wireless, bridging. In the end I managed to get one computer working and connected to my Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router but my other two laptops connected to the internet for a while then the connection dropped! I checked the event viewer and noticed that I was getting loads of DNS error messages. Yep I also opened as many ports as I could on both the Cisco EPC2425, Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router, no joy

Problem 3. I called UPC a number of times about this crappy Cisco EPC2425 and was told that I would have to put up with it! However Friday I called UPC and they informed me they could send me out a Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem however I would have to fit this myself! I'm waiting for a call from the disconnection or connection department. Another agent told me today that there was no way I was getting the Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem because there was one left! I called back again spoke to a different agent and was told that the disconnection or connection department would be calling me and arranging a date that I can pick up the Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem by courier!

Problem 4. I noticed alot of network drops in the Dublin 15 area not related to me downloading large files is there some upgrading going on?

Is UPC aware that this Cisco EPC2425 is crap and that it's really annoying alot of people? I feel like putting a complaint into Comreg at this stage! Is there new routers getting released soon? Will UPC bother to post out an Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem to me? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

nightowl wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I don't often post on this forum however after having used the Cisco EPC2425 I just had to have a rant!!! I can't remember the last time I've ever had such a bad experience with broadband!!!

I moved into my girlfriends apartment about three weeks after and was happy to hear she had broadband with UPC. I moved from Dublin 11 to Dublin 15 btw. I noticed that the modem/router she was using was a Cisco EPC2425 and I thought to myself "nice one" I work in IT and do a bit of admin on the Cisco Switches so I shouldn't have any problems.

Problem 1. I tried downloading using bittorrent the connection just drops!!

Problem 2. I was unable to bridge my Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router to the Cisco EPC2425 http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/routers/Linksys-WRT610N-Wireless-N-Router-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53779501VVcatId552009VVviewprod.htm . I spent hours configuring the settings on the Cisco EPC2425 such as enabling and disabling firewall settings, wireless, bridging. In the end I managed to get one computer working and connected to my Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router but my other two laptops connected to the internet for a while then the connection dropped! I checked the event viewer and noticed that I was getting loads of DNS error messages. Yep I also opened as many ports as I could on both the Cisco EPC2425, Cisco Linksys WRT610N Router, no joy

Problem 3. I called UPC a number of times about this crappy Cisco EPC2425 and was told that I would have to put up with it! However Friday I called UPC and they informed me they could send me out a Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem however I would have to fit this myself! I'm waiting for a call from the disconnection or connection department. Another agent told me today that there was no way I was getting the Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem because there was one left! I called back again spoke to a different agent and was told that the disconnection or connection department would be calling me and arranging a date that I can pick up the Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem by courier!

Problem 4. I noticed alot of network drops in the Dublin 15 area not related to me downloading large files is there some upgrading going on?

Is UPC aware that this Cisco EPC2425 is crap and that it's really annoying alot of people? I feel like putting a complaint into Comreg at this stage! Is there new routers getting released soon? Will UPC bother to post out an Scientific Atlanta emta 2203 modem to me? :mad:

Did you try disabling 'IP Flood Detection' - worked a treat for me.

In firewall options, the only thing I have enabled is Firewall Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

bestie wrote: »
    Did you try disabling 'IP Flood Detection' - worked a treat for me.

In firewall options, the only thing I have enabled is Firewall Protection.

Yep I did I noticed that fix on this forum I'm guessing it only works for some people! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

Hidden menu option, There's a radio button for gateway or router mode.

If you have your phone with UPC I think the gateway mode stops the phone working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I got the same piece of crap. Got my Linksys WRT-54g in my storage but I can't use it as I'll lose my internet (cannot get it to work with this stupid cisco). I'm fed up with it too mainly as it lacks port forwarding and instead of having a public FTP server I know pay €99.00/mo for maintenance of one I bought online.

bricks wrote: »

If you have your phone with UPC I think the gateway mode stops the phone working.

Good Man that worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I'm testing away here with large downloads and it hasn't crashed once :-) All other computers seem fine and are accessing the internet with no problems sofar. I think I owe you a drink sir ;-) Mind you if the menu wasn't hidden I'm sure I would have worked it out sooner or later!

Okay going forward I'm still abit worred about this, what happens when NTL decided to do another firmware upgrade and another menu gets hidden? Come to think of it why did they hide the menu in the first place was it just to make sure that bloody VOIP function was still working?

My girlfriend told me that UPC are shipping out the Scientific modem in the next three to five working days. I now have to decided whether or not I want to risk keeping this Cisco thing it's very very flakey! I might test both for a month and make a decision and UPC need to get their act together an important function menu like that shouldn't be hidden and I do hope they start to replace the Cisco Router with an updated version as soon as they start rolling out 100mb broadband

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    I got the same piece of crap. Got my Linksys WRT-54g in my storage but I can't use it as I'll lose my internet (cannot get it to work with this stupid cisco). I'm fed up with it too mainly as it lacks port forwarding and instead of having a public FTP server I know pay €99.00/mo for maintenance of one I bought online.
    bricks wrote: »

Sobanek try the method that bricks mentioned it worked for me sofar

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cga

I just got the EPC2425 modem from UPC last week, they replaced my old modem for this one
    EPC2425 was up and running but I couldn't see any of my shared folders when connecting from my Cyclon MKV media player to my network, also I couldn't see my Asset UPNP which I use to play radiotime on my Cyclone so I decided to go back to my linksys

Finally after being all day trying to get the bridge connection to work on the EPC2425 modem/router and Linksys WRT610N

I just enabled my EPC2425 wireless network again which I had disabled because I thught it had to be disabled and I follow this link http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp, then tick the radio button for bridge and my bridge connection if up and running and I can use either my linksys or my EPC2425 wireless connection to connect to the internet wirelessly

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

if you get the 2203 modem take it...
    As well as enabling the phone sockets properly it means you're current setup will be rock solid no matter what firmware they throw at it - no menus to get rid of :)

I got my hands on one, and never looked back. The 2425 is sitting in a box upstairs in case UPC demand it back.

For some reason getting your hands on one is so varied depending on who you get on the phone. Many are told there are none left, only to be told by another person that there's 1 left, etc... Am guessing it's when people move away from UPC that they go back into the pool.
    As I said - grab one if you can and hand back the 2425 if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

DemoniK wrote: »
    if you get the 2203 modem take it...
    As well as enabling the phone sockets properly it means you're current setup will be rock solid no matter what firmware they throw at it - no menus to get rid of :)
    ditto.

i'm a heavy user with the sci. atl. modem and a linksys wrt54gs and never have any real problems. i had an uptime on the modem & router of 64 days at one stage with almost 500gb of data transferred and it didn't skip a beat.

i was lucky if i could get two days without having to reboot my old DSL router before i moved to upc. :)

Advertisement