Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with owner occupier - would it put you off?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Although I don't agree with padma, an owner occupiers mortgage is for their home... a landlord's mortgage is for their investment property. So if we're talking about who you'd rather help pay a mortgage (which, for the record, I think is a ridiculous reason to rent with one or the other) then I'd surely pick the owner occupier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well personally I know of people who have moved out of their homes for work or personal reasons, who rent them out and they in turn rent elsewhere themselves, it's more common now these days. Their owned house is not an investment, it used to be their home which isn't suited to live in currently leaving them little choice but to rent it out or pay a mortgage plus rent. There's so many different scenarios to why a house is being rented out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

True, but for all intents and purposes you are not helping someone pay the mortgage on their home if they are not living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

There are also people who would prefer an owner occupied house, as they might think the place will be kept in a better shape, and any problems (broken washing machines etc) will be easier to deal with.

I don't really agree, but I've heard some people say this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Thanks a million for all the advice. I've the ad up on daft now and got ten people interested within the first 24 hours, so looks like honest paid off! Showing the room next week, so hopefully at least some of them will be normal and interested. :)

• Advertisement

• Equally though, that does demonstrate that you don't necessarily have to live with an owner occupier to encounter that kind of attitude towards you.

It was a long term lease, something like 9 years. She might not have owned the bricks, but she owned absolutely everything in the place, from the carpets to the beds. This was the main issue. It was all HER stuff. And she freaked out about any normal wear and tear. I've lived in other owner occupied places in the short term and it was a similar story then.
    solovely wrote: »
    Thanks Izzy Wizzy....nice to lump all owner occupiers in with one bad experience you had with someone who wasn't even an owner occupier, and try to turn the whole world against us all!! Maybe I am nice person?! ;)

You asked, I gave you my point of view. I see no reason to live with an owner occupier, especially in this climate. The few possible benefits (things being repaired quickly) wouldn't be enough to compensate for being a very long term guest in someone else's house. I could get a studio or a room in a flatshare for a similar price. This is my view, I'm sure there are people who wouldn't mind the whole owner thing. I'm sure you're lovely, but I wouldn't be able to live with you without feeling paranoid. The only advice I have is to be overly friendly and insistent that everything is shared and not to expect things of your tenant you don't do yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Im an owner occupier and to be honest over time people have totally taken the utter piss out of me for the sipmle reason I didnt want to be a nag about things, but i do thinks some owners can be the total opposit and be way over the top,

If I was lookin for somewhere to rent Id rather it was with an owner occupier

Advertisement