Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options
  • 04-10-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerryabu

Did anyone hear global village on Newstalk last Saturday?

The link is here:

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/schedule/?day=saturday

Basically at the start of the show the presenter "Dill" went on a rant about how she got a Dublin Taxi and was offended when asked where was she from???

This woman is always using the show to an extreme if you ask me!

Then she went on to say how she is Irish and listed a number of thing she does which included "Drinking Guiness"

Later in the show the border was mentioned and she said "The irish looking for the cheap drink" which they wernt talking about??

Why do newstalk let her use the station for her own poitical view??

I did text to say that the comment wasn't fair to which she commented on "Typical irish racist remark"

I'm so sick of it!!

Am i in a crazy world of my own where only i see this as wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerryabu

That's true!
    But what if it was reversed and i made those comments about her?
    Would the same be said then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

kerryabu wrote: »
    Basically at the start of the show the presenter "Dill" went on a rant about how she got a Dublin Taxi and was offended when asked where was she from???

This woman is always using the show to an extreme if you ask me!?

Here is the correct answer to the question "Where are you from?" according to the Diversity and Equality Works (she's the Managing Director) website:
    Dil moved to Ireland 9 years ago, she was born in Italy and is a Sri Lankan national. Prior to arriving in Ireland Dil lived in Bahrain for 5 years working for an international airline as In-Flight Services Manger.

"Where are you from?" does not mean "What is your current nationality?" when asked of a person who clearly did not grow up here, and does not imply any lack of respect for civil rights.

I agree that trolly-dolly Dil doth protest too much.

Thanks for that Donkey Oatey!

It's a Global Village run by Dill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

kerryabu wrote: »
    Thanks for that Donkey Oatey!

It's a Global Village run by Dill!

Dillyland indeed. I quite like her style of presenting, but she has an agenda straight out of a 1980s Students' Union and the world really has moved on from that.

She could do with a non-PC co-presenter to make the show a bit more entertaining.

Also, I'd love to know what she's like after a few Guinnesses - Dil pickled?

I agree she is a great presenter but she is starting to get more and more comfortable with the show and using it more to her own agenda!!

Newstalk are you hearing us!!
    It's my favourite station but this is putting me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Dillyland indeed. I quite like her style of presenting, but she has an agenda straight out of a 1980s Students' Union and the world really has moved on from that.

She could do with a non-PC co-presenter to make the show a bit more entertaining.

Also, I'd love to know what she's like after a few Guinnesses - Dil pickled?

perfectly put.

i used to listen to it while driving on saturday evenings but there's only so many times i'm bothered to be informed that she's a lesbian from another country. it's gotten to the stage where i wish they'd stretch out the moncrieff interviews a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Never heard heard the show but it sounds like a load of politically correct nonsense.I wont bother listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

i know its an old thread but this one makes be mad.
    In fact she is probably one of ireland s biggest racists, i mean all she ever goes on about is race, nationality, ethnic origins and so forth. About 80% of her show is consumed with this theme. She talks more about race and ethnicity than feckin hitler did i'd say.
    She's quite happy to slag irish drinking but if anyone even says or thinks or asks anyone where they're from she cries racism. What a plonker. I think most folk couldn't give two sh|ts where someone is from as long as they work hard and not make a nuisance of themselves.

all that uber PC crap she goes on about is vomit inducing. Newstalk should cut her, but i suppose if they did she'll haul 'em up on some spurious racial discrimination ticket becasue we all know, you can't sack someone if they are not Irish cos thats what the PC crowd call facist extremists right wing racism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Yeah, she is a bit crap.

She goes on about how she's not Irish and the fact that she's a lesbian constantly yet if anyone else points it out they are racist and homophobic. The usual PC hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Apart from her overly PC stichk, she's really not worthy of a job on community radio given her presenting skills.

"I'm a lesbian immigrant...but I'm now Irish, so here's my opinion - regardless how poorly informed I am - on everything"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

God I can't stand her. She was on the "victim of sexual abuse" bandwagon a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I think her presenting style is very amateurish, as far as i know the show itself was under threat of getting the chop recently. But its still on because they found a new sponsor.

ON a side note Dill's website says she's MC-ing an alcohol free stand up comedy event next month.

If there was ever a need to have a drink...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

giftgrub wrote: »

ON a side note Dill's website says she's MC-ing an alcohol free stand up comedy event next month.

If there was ever a need to have a drink...

I was listening to the show once when she played audio of herself doing a spot at an open-mic. She seems to think she's funny.

Her first joke was about being an immigrant lesbian. She bombed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I posted about this show on the Newstalk thread a while back.. I was waiting in the car on a Sat evening .. (no Off The Ball. . :( ) .. and happened to have the radio switched on ... It's not even that the show is so left wing or politically correct, it's her defending her own private agenda and all her own little personal gripes about Ireland..

Spinkled with her own racist remarks, which she's allowed to do of course, because she's part of every minority group available and it would not be politically correct to criticise her..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This programme is so bad. I was really hoping that they wouldn't find another sponsor for it. I find it hilarious whenever somebody texts into the show with a differing point of view to the show's ridiculous agenda and they're almost immediately branded as cranks and racists. :D

Again was on the way to work this evening, so sitting in the car for two hours I decided to listen in again....

I'm nearly sure that it's Paradise City that they have as the guitar theme intro... And it hit me how ironic this is.. "Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty".. It struck me that Dil must not be aware of the lyrics of this song, because she no doubt would have had a tirade of abuse for Axl Rose for not visiting the cities where the girls were not pretty..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

It is indeed Paradise City.

The irony of Dil choosing a Guns and Roses song is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I wish I could start all my points with 'well as a lesbian immigrant.....', it just simply can't be defeated no matter what comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I like her show: she speaks clearly and is genuine - unlike a lot of radio presenters who mumble their way through whatever contrarian view they think is attention grabbing.

It's called Global Village - there's a clue there in the title as to the kind of foreign-local framework the show is working with. What 'agenda' do you expect from a one day show at an out of the way time about immigration? It would be different if this 'agenda' was being pushed at lunch time news.

At least, she is a counterpoint to Coleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I caught this show once. I came to the opinion that is was a load of shíte, turned it off, and haven't listened to it since.

• Advertisement

RubyRoss wrote: »
    It's called Global Village

The name of the show would lead you to believe that the show would try to be inclusive and about bringing people together.. But all she does is recite anecdotes of perceived episodes of racism and discrimination that poor Dil has been subjected to by the Nazi Irish...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I only heard the show once... at the time of the IMF bailout, so the regular presenter was sidelined for news coverage. I'll have to give a listen to see what the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i wonder how her stand up career is going?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Evaex

It's without doubt the worst show on Irish national radio. I cant believe she has her own show, and I'd agree with the comments that she is nothing but a glorified racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

the "any minority is briiliant and better if its gay " radio show..

AN UTTER CLUSTERFCUK OF A SHOW..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd listen to Coleman over Global Village.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'd listen to Coleman over Global Village.......

These are dark times, the end of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I know, at least I can just about bear coleman and his cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

BX 19 wrote: »
    I know, at least I can just about bear coleman and his cough

AND LETS FACE IT ...AT LEAST THE WHOLE STUDIO ISNT FULL OF GAYS THE WHOLE TIME..everything in moderation..thats all i ask

• Advertisement

Did anybody hear the promo for the show last week... Paraphrasing here, it went "Sepp Blatter said that racism on the pitch is okay as long as you shake hands afterwards".... This strawman sort of stuff would not be allowed if the presenter was right wing.. but because Dil is about 15 minorities she can say whatever she likes..

Certainly Sepp Blatter is an idiot and should have been removed from that organisation long ago.. but misrepresenting him achieves nothing productive.. I mean she could have just tackled him on what he ACTUALLY said..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement