Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

DeadHand wrote:
    Even here, on a site often hostile to any conservative opinion.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I've never come across as much right-wing thought in real life as I have on Boards.

Apart from some guy up the pub in Stoneybatter going on about "the Jews", and even then the local regulars told him to cop himself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I wonder in what context is Dil appearing tonight. She's obviously going to be giving out about something, that's sort of implied, but is she going on RTE to give out about Denis O'Brien? Was any further information given about what she will be discussing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Benildus wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DilW/status/894948766876413953

Any person who believes that milk causes cancer does not deserve to be given a voice on national radio.

Cannot decide whether this is the greatest piece of sarcasm ever, given George and the HPV Vaccine stance, or just one-sided hypocrisy. Well played sir/madam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Morgans wrote: »
    Cannot decide whether this is the greatest piece of sarcasm ever, given George and the HPV Vaccine stance, or just one-sided hypocrisy. Well played sir/madam.

It is neither as I have not offered an opinion on George Hook. This is the Dil thread not the George one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

DeadHand wrote: »
    More to do with the ramshackle nature of those parties and the strictly local, practical focus of the Irish electorate than the public mood on the issue.

The overwhelming majority of Irish people are not "anti-immigrant" per se but they would be deeply sceptical of submitting to immigration of the scale and character which has transformed many European countries into societies that require the army deployed on the streets on a full time basis.

For example, if the issue was isolated, I firmly believe that any plebiscite asking if we should participate in the "refugee" crisis would be soundly defeated without any campaigning. This is why we are not asked and why much of Europe was not asked.

Even here, on a site often hostile to any conservative opinion, any poll on immigration sees the anti side winning comprehensively.

As it is, immigration does not yet register as a general election issue among the multitude of other problems the country has, especially when advanced by amateurish, shoestring parties.

It also doesn't help that much of our media (among whom Dil was a particular fervent witch hunter) is rabidly censorious and keen to suppress any thought crime by destroying anyone who defies the prevailing pro-immigration/multi-cultural narrative.

When we start encountering the horrors other European nations have, it will become a general election issue.

I've never come across as much right-wing thought in real life as I have on Boards.

Apart from some guy up the pub in Stoneybatter going on about "the Jews", and even then the local regulars told him to cop himself on.

So you take a considered and well thought out post,reduce it to one line, laugh at it and equate conservatism with anti-semitism? Being right wing or having right wing views is not a crime and is as valid as having a left wing view. Those on the left don't get that. They do not get that it's a difference of opinion, no more than that. Those on the left view conservatism and those on the right as not just being wrong but being bad people.
    Our media IS dominated by left wing opinion, there is no real doubt about that. George Hook was an exception and you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dave! wrote: »

If she goes on a rant about Newstalk, it could be worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

If she goes on a rant about Newstalk, it could be worth watching.

I'd almost guarantee it. What else is it going to be? Probably painting her stance towards the GH situation as "holier than thou". Gonna tune in just to see if it's hand grenades or nukes she is dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd almost guarantee it. What else is it going to be? Probably painting her stance towards the GH situation as "holier than thou". Gonna tune in just to see if it's hand grenades or nukes she is dropping.

Claire better be on her guard as well. Dil is looking for a replacement gig and RTÉ would do nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I'd say Newstalk got rid of her just to preempt another one of her incident when hook starts his weekend show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Your mastery of economic, political and philosophical theory coming to the fore here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

So what were the numbers like for her show? Were they declining?

Regards...jmcc

DeadHand wrote: »
    Your mastery of economic, political and philosophical theory coming to the fore here.
    OK guys, enough of the carping.

Keep this thread civil, please.

jmcc wrote: »
    So what were the numbers like for her show? Were they declining?

Regards...jmcc

they were never released. I would take that as a sign that they were very low. low 4 figures imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

glasso wrote: »
    they were never released. I would take that as a sign that they were very low. low 4 figures imo.
    It looked like a power play that went wrong. However, in advertising terms, it doesn't seem like the programme will be any great loss to Newstalk.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Good riddance to a blinkered whiner. She'll not be missed. Great to see peoples bubbles of delusion and grandeur being burst.

Hopefully CoD takes note...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I'd only ever heard of this show on boards, and now I'll never hear it :(

there is a list of podcasts here:

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/global-village-highlights/id438926604?mt=2#

the podcasts appear to be no longer available to listen back to, on the newstalk podcast page

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Hearing either her or Paul Williams meant I was turning the dial

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is the show cancelled or will there be a new host?

Might be good to have a Tom Dunne style bunch of tunes on Sat night.

That fella Ritchie off OTB stood in a for Tom a bunch of times, did a very good job.

Might be worth a go.

jmcc wrote: »
    It looked like a power play that went wrong. However, in advertising terms, it doesn't seem like the programme will be any great loss to Newstalk.

Regards...jmcc

I'm guessing that some sort of diversity programming is required under the radio licence terms so it was not about ad revenue. that's not a bad idea. they just picked the wrong presenter imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Our media IS dominated by left wing opinion, there is no real doubt about that.

Except it isn't. You are trying to shoehorn american political terminology into an Irish context and it doesn't work. The Irish media is predominantly socially liberal yes, but it is also predominantly center right on economic matter i.e. conservative. I mean, "the Sindo" is left wing...come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭applehunter

Socially liberal policies ultimately result in more reliance on the state.

Even Leo believes the government has a role social issues such as welfare, health care and education, but that doesn't make him left wing.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Except it isn't. You are trying to shoehorn american political terminology into an Irish context and it doesn't work. The Irish media is predominantly socially liberal yes, but it is also predominantly center right on economic matter i.e. conservative. I mean, "the Sindo" is left wing...come on.

Economically? I disagree. What is the prevailing narrative across media on social welfare? Or health? Our biggest budget outlays.

Economically? I disagree. What is the prevailing narrative across media on social welfare? Or health? Our biggest budget outlays.

There is a world of difference between the policies that the left wing politicians are advocating to fund social welfare or health and the prevailing narrative across media. On the whole the Irish media is not left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

foxtrot101 wrote:

This is regularly pointed out on boards and posters still confuse, perhaps deliberately, the meanings of left and right wing. Many Fine Gael TDs have socially liberal values but support centre right economic policies.

The prevailing narrative in the media is to have income taxes reduced and that's what's going to happen in the budget this week. The 'squeezed middle' is paying too much tax. This is a right wing policy.

These posts are really interesting guys, & it's true that conversations can evolve to other topics, but I think these posts belong in the politics forum?

Go on, they need the traffic:pac:

These posts are really interesting guys, & it's true that conversations can evolve to other topics, but I think these posts belong in the politics forum?

Go on, they need the traffic

The politics of the media is surely relevant.

The politics of the media is surely relevant.
    Of course, and such topics are fair enough in response to a specific broadcast item.

But general political discussion, however interesting, is a tangent that really does not belong here. The politics forum is open for business.

We don't discuss moderation on thread, so please direct any other queries via PM. Thanks.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    There is a world of difference between the policies that the left wing politicians are advocating to fund social welfare or health and the prevailing narrative across media. On the whole the Irish media is not left wing.

I can't believe any fair minded person would think this. You see and hear what you want to see and hear.
    The intolerant left/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement