Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was joking. Do you really think that amount of people would listen to her pontificating and pc agenda . I would say maybe she has 89 listeners.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if she had that many listeners in the slightest. She caters to a niche audience, yes, but it's an audience that exists. So I think to dismiss the show like you do just because; a) it's not targeted to you and b) you don't like the host's agenda, is a very blinkered view.

Maybe her listenership is negligible, maybe it's massive relative to the timeslot, point is we don't know. Only thing that comes up about her listenership is about 6 years old.
    The one thing I dont understand about this wan, is that she left Sri Lanka and her family because they wouldnt accept that she was gay. So she moves to Ireland, one of the most liberal countries in the world where she can marry her female partner and have a child. Ireland affords her these liberties and all she ever does is give out about the place.

And I dont get this whole narrative about her, how she is brave and a champion of rights of the minorities. Surely if she was such, she would have stayed in Sri Lanka and fought for her rights there, instead of moving to a country where the "rules" most suited with her personally.

One of the most liberal countries in the world? Sorry now, what Ireland did you grow up in? Because I was born into a country where it was still illegal to be gay. I grew up in a country where people were (and still are in places) ostracised for being gay. I grew up in a country where seeing someone who was black or Asian was almost a landmark event, and I grew up in a country where migrant workers coming over here perfectly legally in order to make a better life for themselves were ridiculed and despised. And I was born in 1992, so these aren't the bygone days of priests keeping people apart at crossroad dances I'm talking about.

Just because we've come on in leaps and bounds over the past number of years, largely due to the work of people like Dil who shine a spotlight on these issues, doesn't mean that Ireland was or is some bastion of free thinking or some utopia where we all get and dance around together in the meadows making daisy chains.

As for "why didn't she just stay in Sri Lanka?", I think that's her business tbh. Fact is, she's here now, working, paying taxes (I assume) and building a family. More power to her.

Now, if you feel that she's making mountains out of molehills on her show or whatever, that's perfectly fine. I find the show tedious at times and rarely listen. But, IMO at least, I think it's important that these issues are discussed. The attitude that seems to prevail among most people is "Ah shur, shouldn't they just be happy with what we're giving them at the moment?" is complete and utter bollox.

TL;DR, I don't like the show, but I think it serves an audience and is, at the very least, one of those "alternative voices" on radio that people seem to cry out for. Or are they only alternative when they're conservative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

^^
    Exactly.

I wonder about this thread sometimes.

Do people deliberately listen to a show they despise in order to get worked up about it?

Or do people just hear fragments of it and jump to conclusions?

I only heard a fragment of it there the other day, but she was interviewing an Irish Luas (I think) worker about something. Wonder what conclusions I can jump to about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

There doesn't seem to be any listenership figures as far as I can see. She talks in terms of percentages
    I was joking about the listening figures. I have no idea what they are. I did listen to her pathetic pc me me me poor me programme once and it annoyed me. When she is on tv3 I usually change the channel. I find her the most annoying person I have ever encountered on UK or irish radio /tv. All imo.

^^
    Exactly.

I wonder about this thread sometimes.

Do people deliberately listen to a show they despise in order to get worked up about it?

Or do people just hear fragments of it and jump to conclusions?

I only heard a fragment of it there the other day, but she was interviewing an Irish Luas (I think) worker about something. Wonder what conclusions I can jump to about that?
    She would have been better off interviewing a bus driver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Its not that for me. I never 'choose' to listen to her ..... but I have found that if I happen across her on Tv / radio she can't seem to go 3 minutes without mentioning 1) shes a lesbian or 2) shes been prejudiced against in some way for her race / sexuality / gender. Its actually got to a point were if I do accidentally see her I time it to see how long it takes to mention one or other! It never takes long! The topic could be cheese and onion crisps and she'd manage to find a link back to how it's offensive to her!

• Advertisement

Its not that for me. I never 'choose' to listen to her ..... but I have found that if I happen across her on Tv / radio she can't seem to go 3 minutes without mentioning 1) shes a lesbian or 2) shes been prejudiced against in some way for her race / sexuality / gender. Its actually got to a point were if I do accidentally see her I time it to see how long it takes to mention one or other! It never takes long! The topic could be cheese and onion crisps and she'd manage to find a link back to how it's offensive to her!
    Brilliant post. My sentiments entirely. I agree 100%.

Brilliant post. My sentiments entirely. I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The one thing I dont understand about this wan, is that she left Sri Lanka and her family because they wouldnt accept that she was gay. So she moves to Ireland, one of the most liberal countries in the world where she can marry her female partner and have a child. Ireland affords her these liberties and all she ever does is give out about the place.

And I dont get this whole narrative about her, how she is brave and a champion of rights of the minorities. Surely if she was such, she would have stayed in Sri Lanka and fought for her rights there, instead of moving to a country where the "rules" most suited with her personally.

Freedom. That's why she's here. But she forget that there are people who are free to dislike what she is and what she stands for. She'll be at the front of the march to ban the freedoms that don't fit in with her warm and fluffy view of the world.

For years dill was going on about how badly she was treated by her family. Especially her father. Since she has had her baby boy Apparantly her father now talks to her. So that's one less thing for her to moan about at least. So for mote publicity she breast fed her baby on afternoon tv3. Big reaction again. Her and her aging partner had never heard of a breast pump. She wears mens clothing and wonders why people look weirdly at her. Imo she is the most attention seeking individual I have ever encountered. And for the sake of her baby. She should cop on and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I think being a perceived victim is her raison d'être in life - a reason for getting out of bed in the morning, in a "How many people are going to offend me today?" sort of way.

• Advertisement

I think being a perceived victim is her raison d' tre in life - a reason for getting out of bed in the morning, in a "How many people are going to offend me today?" sort of way.
    Yeah. Dead on
    .you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

For years dill was going on about how badly she was treated by her family. Especially her father. Since she has had her baby boy Apparantly her father now talks to her. So that's one less thing for her to moan about at least. So for mote publicity she breast fed her baby on afternoon tv3. Big reaction again. Her and her aging partner had never heard of a breast pump. She wears mens clothing and wonders why people look weirdly at her. Imo she is the most attention seeking individual I have ever encountered. And for the sake of her baby. She should cop on and grow up.

is it her baby?

neris wrote: »

is it her baby?
    Yeah . Her and her partner used some donor sperm. Her partner will have her baby in a couple of years. So dill said numerous times. ?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Let her know how you feel! Text in costs 30 cents.

kidneyfan wrote: »

Let her know how you feel! Text in costs 30 cents.
    No because she would only get off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I wonder would she go out for a pint with me? Maybe watch a match or something? Could have a chat about how great it is to live here. I hope she likes a pint, I'm buying.

emo72 wrote: »
    I wonder would she go out for a pint with me? Maybe watch a match or something? Could have a chat about how great it is to live here. I hope she likes a pint, I'm buying.
    Her baby and partner will be there as well. Don't forget. But at least you won't have to fork out for a pint for the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Used to listen to the start of the show driving home from work on saturdays (never stuck with it for long)
    Always though it was a bit "ethnic minority gay whales against the bomb"
    Looking to be outraged... now you don't have to look hard to be outraged... and there is a serious point in not just sweeping stuff under the carpet..actually can you be outraged on someone elses behalf ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Used to listen to the start of the show driving home from work on saturdays (never stuck with it for long)
    Always though it was a bit "ethnic minority gay whales against the bomb"
    Looking to be outraged... now you don't have to look hard to be outraged... and there is a serious point in not just sweeping stuff under the carpet..actually can you be outraged on someone elses behalf ?
    Are you saying then that her show was "crap "?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't seek out her show, but if it's on when I'm listening to the radio I'll leave it on.
    I think there is a lot of issue taken here with the topics on the show often being ones of the non Irish, or non hetero white Irish persons experience of living here, and many seem to express displeasure when Dil uses her own experiences to empathise with her guests.
    I might suggest that there is much common ground for many immigrants here, so this is hardly surprising.
    And, given how many shows on air, in particular on Newstalk, that are presented by white, heterosexual men, it shouldn't be so offensive to have an alternative voice on the air, once a week.
    You don't have to listen to it.
    Many seem to be expressing outrage at Dil's apparent forced outrage, but then they are no better, listening to a radio show and a presenter you don't like and posting here how annoyed you are, rather than pressing that button or turning that dial and listening to something else.

• Advertisement

But at least you won't have to fork out for a pint for the baby.

Are you saying the baby doesn't deserve a pint? Why not? Is it cause its a baby borne to a gay couple? Is it cause you don't like babies? Babies born in a bath in her sitting room. Pls tick which discrimation you're putting forth as topic for next weeks show.

Are you saying the baby doesn't deserve a pint? Why not? Is it cause its a baby borne to a gay couple? Is it cause you don't like babies? Babies born in a bath in her sitting room. Pls tick which discrimation you're putting forth as topic for next weeks show.
    At least 4 pc shows. Yeah

Aaah. No. Why did you remind me about the birthing pool in the front room. I had erased that from my mind.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Many seem to be expressing outrage at Dil's apparent forced outrage, but then they are no better, listening to a radio show and a presenter you don't like and posting here how annoyed you are, rather than pressing that button or turning that dial and listening to something else.
    I was with you up until you said this.

I happen to think Dill has a lovely personality. I'd say she is one of those wonderful people who sees the best in everybody, and has genuinely large capacity to sympathise & empathise with people who are vulnerable and treated badly by society.

However, I don't think these wonderful characteristics make her a good radio host. I think she lacks an important journalistic inclination towards self-criticism and dispassionate analysis.

All of us are entitled to express and exchange opinions on radio broadcasting. That's what this subforum is here for. If you reduce everything down to, "well, if you don't like it, then tune out", you might as well shut-down the entire radio subforum (one of the more active forums on this website).

Anybody who disagrees with our criticisms of Dill's broadcasting style is more than welcome to come here and debate that with us. But I suspect a lot of people share these criticisms, and although some criticism of Dill is way O.T.T, this discussion is a perfectly legitimate one, in my humble opinion.

I like Dill, and I share many of her opinions, I just think she ought to make a more meaningful effort to understand and respect those well-meaning people who don't share her personal worldview. That's a fundamental principle of the tolerance she claims to espouse.

I happen to think Dill has a lovely personality. I'd say she is one of those wonderful people who sees the best in everybody, and has genuinely large capacity to sympathise & empathise with people who are vulnerable and treated badly by society.

To be fair I agree to a point despite my annoyance with her. I imagine shes a good/nice person.

She just never 'stops' . She can't just 'be'! For me personally, its the gay thing that I have a problem with. Ok you re gay! Be gay ! But its not the only thing you are! You don't need to have it define your very existence. She brings it into every single topic discussed........ ' well as a gay woman......'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

She may be a nice person in her personal life. The attachment parenting stuff irritates me. Just another way for women to judge each other.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    She may be a nice person in her personal life. The attachment parenting stuff irritates me. Just another way for women to judge each other.
    What does attachment parenting stuff mean?

kidneyfan wrote:
    The attachment parenting stuff irritates me.

Ah here ...... she's not one of them is she????? That's so typical.

Donkeykong, its when u literally don't let ur baby outta ur sight, you sleep with it, you feed on demand, if it cries, you jump, and if you are an attachment parent and you get told by an non attachment parent that they don't 'attachment parent ' ..... you know they just don't love their kids as much as you do!!!! (Imo and just from those ive met )

kidneyfan wrote:
    The attachment parenting stuff irritates me.

Ah here ...... she's not one of them is she????? That's so typical.

Donkeykong, its when u literally don't let ur baby outta ur sight, you sleep with it, you feed on demand, if it cries, you jump, and if you are an attachment parent and you get told by an non attachment parent that they don't 'attachment parent ' ..... you know they just don't love their kids as much as you do!!!! (Imo and just from those ive met )
    Thanks. She is obviously one then. Seeing as she had to take the baby on tv3 show and feed it on live TV. Couldn't express milk and give it to her partner to feed said baby. Don't know how my kids survived. Waiting with a soother in their little mouths while I made up their bottles. Often had to wait at least 20 minutes. Oh what a bad mother I was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

I personally don't consider people with such a negative outlook and attitude to life to be nice people.

I'd be inclined to have quite the opposite opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement