Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Radio at that time of the night is a black hole anyway, people don't listen to radio in any great number in the evenings. The only show that bucks that trend is OTB.

That's true but I'd say she really ensured nobody would be tuning in. I'd love to see the audience figures for all the Newstalk shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

That's true but I'd say she really ensured nobody would be tuning in. I'd love to see the audience figures for all the Newstalk shows.

Didn't someone post on the old "High Noon" thread that she had 20,000 listeners? If that is the case, then that is decent for that time of night. It's the same kind of figures that Arena, Game on...etc get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I miss her already........
    But I am crazy like a coconut :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't care all that much that her show was cancelled as I never listened to it. But just wait for her to appear on whatever show will have her, acting the martyr with the victim narrative of how she stood up for her beliefs against a rape apologist, and she was the one to lose her job :rolleyes:
    Be gas if George got her slot. Although I doubt he'd take it.
    She'd take his though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Whenever I inadvertently chanced upon her show of late, it seemed to be a constant theme that as a member of Irish Society, I was partly to blame for the high levels of Traveller suicide, low school attendance, low 3rd level participation etc, etc.
    Got so that I couldn't bear to listen go the show.

• Advertisement

Mod: Various users have been banned, infracted, and warned about their posting behaviour tonight.

Please think before you type. Personal abuse is not welcome here. Discussing moderation does not belong in this thread. A preoccupation with another person's gender is perfectly normal in the confines of your own home. There is no need to express it here. Please do not do that.

This forum welcomes robust debate on the content, and the production, of radio programs. This will inevitably result in political debates. But please do not descend to personal insults or hurtful innuendo based on a person's gender, or other aspects of their personal identity.

Global Village with DV coming to an end is fine with me.

I'd listen to just about any presenter and any show on Newstalk. I find the station a great aul buddy when on I'm on the road; night, noon or morning. However, tipping off of a Saturday evening on my journey, I just couldn't listen to Global Village no matter how poor the alternative was on other stations. I'd try to listen, but within minutes I'd be reaching for the dial.

That's not to say that everything else on Newstalk is perfect listening for me. Just, the gulf between Global Village and the station's other output was too big. I'm looking forward to seeing what GV is replaced with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

That was a very gracious statement by DW, for such a sudden end to a person's career. I say this as a regular user like everyone else, not as a radio mod, but there's a special place in hell for anyone dancing on the grave of someone who's just lost their job and has young children to raise.

Jesus, calm down like, for starters, she’s not bloody well dead, there’s nobody dancing on her grave.

“Special place in hell”?? Ask yourself for one second why she seems so unpopular as is very evident by this thread? Maybe, just maybe, despite what she herself would probably think, the problem is actually her, and not everyone else? Maybe she’s just not all that good at her job? Having young children does not exempt one from being stood down if their employer has grounds to do so, and you can be sure Newstalk had fair grounds to do so.

Murderers, rapists, pedophiles, people happy Dil was sacked, thieves, sexual abusers, emotional abusers. (Hopefully that adds context to your special place in hell comment...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Eh, Dil announced the situation herself.

Quite the opposite of curtailed free speech...

I dont think there was an issue with free speech on her show. There was a lack of any sort of mitigation to the outrageous things that she was saying. She would get texts contradicting her on the mistruths that she was broadcast as truths, and in fairness she did read out quite a few negative texts, but she just dismissed anybody that did not agree with her as being racist.

tbh, I'm kind of shocked with the volume of the responses on the thread. I only used to listen to her cos I was on the way to work on Saturday nights in my old job. I never knew that many people were even aware of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

She committed career suicide.

Try going in to work today and issuing an ultimatum to your employer that you’re going on strike until a colleague you don’t like who said something you didn’t like is fired. She majorly undermined her position when she did that.

That was bad enough, but at that stage it can still be kept in house and dealt with internally. However the second she went public with her ultimatum she was not only undermining herself but she was now publicly undermining Newstalk. She threw a petrol can right in to the heart of the public fire Newstalk were trying to get a handle on. There was no coming back for her once she did that.

There are procedures to be followed if you have an issue with a fellow employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The cynic in me thinks she knew this was coming a while ago and she used the hook scandal to try to create a situation where they wouldn’t sack her because of how it would look given the stand she took.

That hasn’t worked and the show was one of the worst things I have heard in radio so I’m personally glad that it won’t be on any more

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She wrote her own epitaph

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

I've never listened to her show so won't comment on that. Does anyone know if she withdrew from her show on the Saturday, the day after George Hook made the controversial comments? I know she withdrew from her Saturday show 8 days after Georges comment. Did she help start up the Bandwagon or jump on it when it was going at full speed?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,472 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cheekypup wrote: »
    I've never listened to her show so won't comment on that. Does anyone know if she withdrew from her show on the Saturday, the day after George Hook made the controversial comments? I know she withdrew from her Saturday show 8 days after Georges comment. Did she help start up the Bandwagon or jump on it when it was going at full speed?

She hit the turbo button.

It didn't help that she criticised NT management publicly, accusing them of sexism.

And then, of course, withdrawing her labour alone would have been a sackable offence.

I can't see what other option NT management had, she created this herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Didn't someone post on the old "High Noon" thread that she had 20,000 listeners? If that is the case, then that is decent for that time of night. It's the same kind of figures that Arena, Game on...etc get.

There was someone on politics.ie purporting to be a newstalk insider during the whole hook affair that put her figures at 12000.

Can't say I'm surprised she's gone if that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

She says in this video that she was "reaching" 300,000 people on this video (from 2012).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Complete attention seeker and it was nauseating how she used her platform on radio to lecture paddy on how we should live and about how racist & homophobic we were. In her own country I suspect she could not live openly in a lesbian relationship and kids without there being a genuine threat to her safety?

Deciding to breastfeed on live tv was a typical Dil stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Aidan Cuddly Palm

cheekypup wrote: »
    She didn't - she waited the following Thursday (Hook made the comments on the Friday before)

She says in this video that she was "reaching" 300,000 people on this video (from 2012).

In that video presentation Dill says "The great thing about Newstalk, you can say anything you like, nobody tells you what to say" 3m50s.
    Seems things have changed in the intervening five years, on both the management and the presenters side!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

I've heard about 10 minutes of the show ever and it was simply awful. How did Newstalk decide to have such a show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I think she meant retching. Her programme had 300,000 retching. That's has to be it.

What type of programme would posters here put on, in Dill's time slot, if they could commission a show?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

thats her comedy routine

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What type of programme would posters here put on, in Dill's time slot, if they could commission a show?

documentaries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Phone-in show with Dennis O'Brien

Herself and Chris saw it as an opportunity to raise their profiles, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Herself and Chris saw it as an opportunity to raise their profiles, simple as that

I wonder is Chris next in line for the chop now. He also behaved appallingly during the Hook controversy

I wonder is Chris next in line for the chop now. He also behaved appallingly during the Hook controversy
    Theyll probably keep him on as Gopher on Hook's new show. What other media outlet would employ him in all honesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Theyll probably keep him on as Gopher on Hook's new show. What other media outlet would employ him in all honesty?

That's a very machiavellian suggestion, I like it. I also used to like CD more or less too, but I agree, he behaved disgracefully around the GH controversy. From a Newstalk perspective it could be an ideal solution, don't let him go in the same way as DW, but put him in an invidious position and let him walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

A bit petty of newstalk to fire her. Hardly anyone would be listening at that time and station bosses had no problem for a decade. Surely the ceo has bigger problems to worry about ie breakfast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement