Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

reg114 wrote: »
    A bit petty of newstalk to fire her. Hardly anyone would be listening at that time and station bosses had no problem for a decade. Surely the ceo has bigger problems to worry about ie breakfast
    I think they had to act in order to maintain discipline and management control. You can't openly say you're not showing up to work until one of your colleagues is sacked, that wouldnt fly in any organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I liked the music off Global Village. I'll miss that.

I dunno, as mentioned earlier it wasn't the absolute best radio ever, but it was better than more repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What type of programme would posters here put on, in Dill's time slot, if they could commission a show?

I think the concept of the how was OK. Minorities describing their experiences settling / working in this country.
    This kind of vox pop is generally interesting. Made stars over the years of Paddy O Gorman, Paschall Sheehy/Marian Finucane/ Joe Duffy / Henry McKean.

I put in a fair few Saturdays working in splendid isolation listening to the radio. Newstalk had a decent mix and I could leave it on all dayOff the Ball / Movie Show then Global Village.
    Problem is it - Gobal Village - was unlistenable due to presentation style, so I would switch off and listen to music.

I wouldn't have thought I was hard to please, but could not listen to the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He might be able to claim constructive dismissal if he walked after becoming Hook's gopher.
    Doubt he would succeed taking his preceeding behavior into account. Author of his own misfortunes.
    His employment prospects wouldn't be great in the industry if he left voluntarily.
    Denigrating senior colleagues in public is not appreciated in any organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

quintana76 wrote: »
    He might be able to claim constructive dismissal if he walked after becoming Hook's gopher.
    Doubt he would succeed taking his preceeding behavior into account. Author of his own misfortunes.
    His employment prospects wouldn't be great in the industry if he left voluntarily.
    Denigrating senior colleagues in public is not appreciated in any organisation.

He?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theyll probably keep him on as Gopher on Hook's new show. What other media outlet would employ him in all honesty?

He's writing for the SBP now

The SBP are up for sale with the Irish Times as the most likely buyer. Which would be difficult :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

The 'he' I refer to is Chris Donoghue. See comments above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

That was a very gracious statement by DW, for such a sudden end to a person's career. I say this as a regular user like everyone else, not as a radio mod, but there's a special place in hell for anyone dancing on the grave of someone who's just lost their job and has young children to raise.

I occasionally listened to the show, although I wasn't the biggest fan of how its content was handled. At its worst, Global Village was an echo chamber, devoid of all serious debate. But at its best, it was a genuinely interesting series that shone a spotlight on a more diverse, outward-looking society that we should strive for.

I might try track down some listeners hip figures tonight. I can't have been the only one, nor among the only handful, who tuned in.

Notwithstanding my reservations about how the show handled its content, I think the Irish radio landscape is all the duller without this weekly show. It did no harm, certainly not enough to merit the berating it got. This country would be a far more positive place if we had a few more Dill Wickramesinghes about.

Are you personally connected to Dil?

This is a serious question btw. There seems to be a 'Dil mafia' within the boards.ie moderators...maybe she organised a media workshop for certain mods in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Problem with Dil is she never had a representative of the contrary opinion on her show.
    It all came over a bit self-congratulatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd only ever heard of this show on boards, and now I'll never hear it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What type of programme would posters here put on, in Dill's time slot, if they could commission a show?
    I wouldn't mind the history show. I always enjoyed on a sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd only ever heard of this show on boards, and now I'll never hear it :(

Count your blessings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This is a serious question btw. There seems to be a 'Dil mafia' within the boards.ie moderators...maybe she organised a media workshop for certain mods in the past.

One mod defends her from the gaggle of poster gleefully dancing on her grave and suddenly there's a 'Dil Mafia'? Bloody hell…

I didn't enjoy her show but I don't understand the celebrating that's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

She says in this video that she was "reaching" 300,000 people on this video (from 2012).

She said NewsTalk was reaching 300,000, later she said her show had 25,000 listeners and that she was just told the figures increased by, I think she said, 30%, making it a bit over 32,000 listeners.

I'd have Newstalk on in my car most of the time but like other I almost always turned it off when Global village came on, but that might have been more so that I usually want to listen to music on a Saturday evening.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

One mod defends her from the gaggle of poster gleefully dancing on her grave and suddenly there's a 'Dil Mafia'? Bloody hell…
    I didn't enjoy her show but I don't understand the celebrating that's going on here.
    The general consensus is that it was an appalling show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha, a Dil mafia, indeed.

"Hey, Tony. Come on, get in the car so we can go whack this Vercetti bozo, like the boss said. Hey! Tony come on."

"I dunno Vito. I'm having second thoughts about this. I mean, do you ever think about how unfair this all is? I mean there's you, me, Tommy, Vincenzo, Vinny, Marco, the other Tony and then Salvatore. Ever think the proportion non Italian-American members is below what it should be? Plenty of other immigrants waiting to be employed as a hitman, but we never embrace them. Is that something we need to talk about?"

"Can we just go please? Let's make this guy dead."

"There's another thing. Who said Vercetti was a guy? You just presumed that. What does that say about you? And also, have you ever noticed we whack a disproportionately high number of males over females? And why is it a hitman, not a hitperson?"

"Get the f*ck out of my car, Tony."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Are you personally connected to Denis O'Brien? There seems to be a Denis O'Brien mafia within certain contributors*.

*Just wanted to give you some context for how annoying that question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Two annoying attention seekers removed from their regular Newstalk slots in the space of a month. Now that's a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

If she lost her job due to poor ratings fair enough, i tried listening to the show i didn't like it, simple as that, so i switched off.

I hope it was for poor ratings and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

best thing to happen to Saturday evenings on Newstalk, lets hope they replace it with something interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Count your blessings.

That could be the name of a new show.
    Count Your Blessings with Fr. Brian Darcy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

geraardo wrote: »

Yeah but I think that that is what makes it serendipitous for Newstalk. I'd say that they were looking for an opportunity to get rid of her, and then she walked of her own volition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

geraardo wrote: »
    If she lost her job due to poor ratings fair enough, i tried listening to the show i didn't like it, simple as that, so i switched off.

She made it very clear that it either herself or Hook had to go.

Hook apologised, and was demoted to a weekend slot. They took adequate action against him. He put his hand up and accepted his punishment. For some people that's not enough, fair enough, but Newstalk chose the more rational approach.

After that, they were left with an employee who refused to do her job, and one who accepted his punishment. It's not up to her to determine what disciplinary action should be taken against other employees, Newstalk made the correct call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Late to the party, going to spew some thoughts:
    • Didn't particularly care for the show. Thought she wa a poor presenter overall, and as others have said, probably over divisive for the type of message she was trying to impart (a valid and worthwhile message IMO).
    • I haven't been following the NT saga closely, but if she was refusing to do her show following the George Hook incident, I would not blame management for stepping in. As is said over and over again, "Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.", Dil would have been within her rights to protest, NT well within their rights to show her the door for slating the station in public and refusing to work.
    • I would be interested in seeing her listenership figures. IIRC, the last ones available were actually quite high for that timeslot, so I'm sure there will be a lot of people disappointed by this news.
    • In terms of what's going to replace it, I would hope that NT would keep the format and keep it as a show dedicating to highlighting minority issues. One of the oft cited complaints about radio in this country is that it's overly homogenised. I think it would be a great shame if this were to be replaced with another standard talking head show, or by just adding another hour of repeats or placeholder productions from the Sound and Vision fund to the Saturday schedule.

For the record, I have no connection to Dil. All the money she pays me to write positive things about her comes through a series of middle men, so you just go right ahead and prove my connection!

She made it very clear that it either herself or Hook had to go.

Hook apologised, and was demoted to a weekend slot. They took adequate action against him. He put his hand up and accepted his punishment. For some people that's not enough, fair enough, but Newstalk chose the more rational approach.

After that, they were left with an employee who refused to do her job, and one who accepted his punishment. It's not up to her to determine what disciplinary action should be taken against other employees, Newstalk made the correct call.

It appears that she has been fired.

Thats hows she is pitching it. Its almost academic what actually happened here - its what people think happened that matters; and her supporterss of which there are many (she has twice as many twitter followers as Ivan Yates) will think she has been shafted and treated badly; which is a continuation of the wider theme of Newstalk being a radio station with a major gender imbalance that it has made no effort to address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Regardless of her gender, she deserved a P45. Not just for her behaviour but for that radio show she presented. It was a poor product and she wasn't up to scratch as a presenter. DJs and presenters get the bullet all the time - it's part and parcel of the business we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    It appears that she has been fired.

Thats hows she is pitching it. Its almost academic what actually happened here - its what people think happened that matters; and her supporterss of which there are many (she has twice as many twitter followers as Ivan Yates) will think she has been shafted and treated badly; which is a continuation of the wider theme of Newstalk being a radio station with a major gender imbalance that it has made no effort to address.

Twitter followers aren't really anything to go by and i wouldn;t think they would be reflective of the wider audience. I recently saw a visual ( i think it was on boards) of twitter followers and groups and how they interact and for the most part its an echo chamber people with similar beliefs gather around each other and occasionally will spar with people from other political beliefs.

I do agree however she will milk this narrative for all its worth, at the end of the day though Newstalk is a privately owned business and will make the right commercial decision for itself regardless of sex of the presenter.

If they are to diversify its presenting staff i hope they will pay for a decent presenter and not give it to someone just off the street, which i think is Newstalks primary problem because they don't hire the right kind of people or train them it leads allot of bad presenters to suffer with ratings. I think they got lucky through trial and error with some of their male presenters, Ivan was an ex politician and a perquisite for that job is a bit of mojo and media savy, Sean has allot of past presenting experience ect ect. Then you have the good doctor who is double jobing and playing the role of the authoritative doctor which rubs people up the wrong way.

Compare this with RTE, i know i have said this on here before but look at Claire Byrne. During her time at newstalk she was a really bad presenter and probably why Chris is so bad at times because she was a mentor to him in some ways ( by this i mean the uncontrolled bias and position of outrage on issues/not letting your interviewee speak). Since moving to RTE however she must have been taken under the wing of a more seasoned presenter or had some internal training as its hard to recognize the old Newstalk Claire Byrne.

Regardless of her gender, she deserved a P45. Not just for her behaviour but for that radio show she presented. It was a poor product and she wasn't up to scratch as a presenter. DJs and presenters get the bullet all the time - it's part and parcel of the business we're in.

Thats completely subjective, I would say the same about Paul Williams, Ivan Yates, George Hook and Ger Gilroy. As mentioned she got good listenership for time of week.

Calhoun wrote: »
    If they are to diversify its presenting staff i hope they will pay for a decent presenter and not give it to someone just off the street, which i think is Newstalk's primary problem because they don't hire the right kind of people or train them it leads a lot of bad presenters to suffer with ratings.

This ^^
    The mind boggles that they gave people like Paul Williams, Alan Quinlan, Woolly Parkinson, Ciara Kelly and Bobby Kerr presenting jobs. Ivan Yates just about gets away with it I think. It's as if they favour quasi famous people over presenters who are good at what they do. Are there no presenters on local radio who could make the step up, for example? Journalism graduates? Outcasts from RTÉ?

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats completely subjective, I would say the same about Paul Williams, Ivan Yates, George Hook and Ger Gilroy. As mentioned she got good listenership for time of week.

I don't disagree that they're not great either. We don't knew what her ratings were. I've heard a figure of 12k. If that's true, that's an appalling figure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement