Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Training Mats for MMA/Martial Arts classes

• 04-10-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone could help me with some suggestions.

We're looking at bringing in a few martial arts and self-defence classes here at SanoVitae. I wondering what is the best option in terms of training mats.

This would be a long-term investment so cost would not be the most important factor. I'm most interested in mats which will last a long time and most importantly, are easy to clean.

Does the mat used depend on the martial art itself - i.e. should you use a different mat for BJJ as opposed to a striking art etc.

Any opinions on Puzzle Mats?

Would greatly appreciate any help or feedback.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you're talking about long-term investments, then the type of floor you put the mats on is important as well. Check this out http://judoinfo.com/tatami.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Thanks for the reply Doug.

The classes would take place in our fitness studio so we couldn't change the floors as suggested in that article.

Other than a self-defence course which we'll be running, I haven't decided on which other martial art classes to introduce at the gym. I'll be contacting some martial arts clubs this week to invite them down so we can see if they would like to teach a class here.

Cheers,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

zebra mats are excellent. Smooth surface but as tough as judo tatamis. PM me if you want a contact for bulk order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If cost wasn't an issue I'd go with Judo mats.

They're tough, durable, 'grippy & fast' - you'll appreciate what I mean if you compare attacking from a judo mat compared to the jig-saw mats.

Good to see hygene is an important issue too.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Judo mats is best i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Zebra MMA mats are the best in my opinion, great quality and easy to clean as they have a smooth surface.... you can come and have a look at ours if you want, we have judo mats too so you can see the difference. We can also get them in for you....

If you're taking them up and down get 1x1s, they'll last much longer than 2x1s as they won't get dragged or bent. The thickness of the mat depends on what you're going to use them for, they go from 20mm up to 50mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If you are rolling No gi judo matts will end up with a lot of blood on them with abrasions

I would go with a smooth surface like zebra or Dollumar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

We have zebras and they're the business. Pricey though. If money is no option Dollamur have a roll up system that's the business they have it in Kokoro, or at least they had them a couple of years back. Not sure what they're like when they're not fixed permanently.

Jigsaws are actually grand for most low impact work especially if storage is a concern.

Advertisement