Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to become a cad technician?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey, Im just about to finish a 3d autocad city and guilds course and was just wondering what steps i would need take in order to gain the qualifications needed to be an autocad technician. I don't have much interest in the civil side of it but I've a huge interest in the mechanical.
    Do i need to start a mechanical eng. course or are there other courses suited more towards working just with cad?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Years ago, you could apply for a job as a entry level cad draftsman with the C&G or FAS Certs and get a start that way. I saw many come in to the company I worked for like that and work their way up through the ranks with the company helping to send them through college.

I would imagine that it is quite different due to the economic climate of the last few years. There are many highly skilled unemployed CAD Techs. out there at the moment all looking for a few jobs.

If you had the financial backing and have a place on a good engineering course, I would go for that and get the best education I can at the moment. You may get lucky and pick up some drafting work on the side off local architects or engineers. If someone wants you to do Mech, Elec, Arch, whatever, if you feel you can do it, then do it. It is all experience.

Good luck with the job search if that's what you end up doing. I don't want to put a downer on it, but it will be hard going.

Advertisement