Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying by the boss?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

when i started my current job a little over 3 years ago everything was fine, things changed though when one of our managers left about 2 years ago and things have became very hard in the work place since, the current finacial climate has not helped either. Our boss has now developed a very short temper and will stress out about anything. Its got so bad that his attitude is now starting to affect the atmosphere in the job.

I dread going into work now as every morning he is usually in a mood, if he isnt in a mood its pretty guaranteed that he will be in one before lunchtime. Also, he does be constantly telling us that he is not our mother and we should be doing jobs by ourselves and making decisions by ourselves- when we do make our own decisions he disagrees and tells us that first we are either useless or retarded then tells us how we should do the job. Everything has to be his way, reguardless if it is even the wrong way, its impossible to argue with him as he will just personally abuse you to the point where you know theres no point trying to argue back to him. We are in no way busy or snowed under with work but its still a problem should we decide to take our time to do a job as he says hes not being paid for the job to take longer to do, strange though because when he makes us rush jobs mistakes are made and agin this is a problem as he says he isnt getting paid to do the job twice!

When he is in one of his full blown moods he acts like a 7yro child in that he starts throwing stuff on the floor, slamming doors closed and ignores everyone!!

Furthermore we had a ban on overtime put in place about 18months ago, hasnt stopped him expecting overtime from us, im now doing more evertime per week than what id do when we got paid overtime, plus i normally get into work 30mins early each day and thats when im expected to start work, do you think i get any thanks for it though........... There does even be issues getting our statuary days off, we were told to have a discusion between ourselves about what to do about our summer hols, we decided we should close for 2 weeks so that everyone was off at the same time, this wasnt what the boss wanted so he decided what we should do, myself and another guy had already booked something so we had to cancel/ rearrange, i ended up with just 4 days off and this was still a problem, ive managed a about a week and a half off this year and the hope of getting the days off im due is slim to none!!!!!!!

I can sorta understand it from my bosses point of view that if we are getting no work in then that means there is no money coming in, thus meaning he stresses out, however the way he treats his staff is inexcusable, we are a small company (myself and 4 others), his constant talking us down and mood swings are really starting to affect everyones moral, certainly im now at the stage where id rather just stay in bed than face another day in work!!

I should also say that my boss is also my cousin so im at a bit of a loss as to what i can do, i really enjoy my job but i cant go on with the ways things are just now,

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bullied wrote: »
    I should also say that my boss is also my cousin so im at a bit of a loss as to what i can do, i really enjoy my job but i cant go on with the ways things are just now
    If he tries to play that card, tell him to go f**k himself. I do hope you have been looking for another job? You owe this man nothing, in fact it is he who owes you.

May I ask what sector you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im working in the sign and print sector, things probs wouldnt be as bad if my boss would just drop the attitude that everything we print has to be 200% perfect so that he can charge that little bit more for it, i dont think he gets it that customers just now are more interested in paying a cheaper price for a product that has a lower quality.

Ive had a look around for new jobs but there doesnt seem to be that much out there that would fit me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,507 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As I read your first post I was thinking...printing... there must be something about print shops that turns bosses into irrational weasels. I agree with you he would be better off going with the trends but printers tend to be perfectionists ;) and drive themselves mad in the process.

I really can't suggest anything other than make sure your skills are as up to date as possible, make sure you know about new processes and large scale operation, so you will be ready to respond if another job does come up.

Do you have anything to lose by using the family connection and asking him out for a pint so you can a bit of gentle probing to see if there is anything that you could offer suggestions about, away from the stress of the business?

Advertisement