Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel de Jong dumped from Dutch squad.

• 04-10-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭

Dutch manager Bert van Marwijk has taken Nigel de Jong from the Dutch quad.
    Reasons are obvious but no further comment from Van Marwijk other than he will talk to De jong in due time after the next 2 EC qualifiers.

Van Marwijk has in the past warned De Jong 2x. First time after injuring Stuart Holden in a friendly, 2x time after a friendly against Japan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Good enough for the clown.

Maybe now he will re-evaluate how he plays the game, and show some responsibility and respect for his fellow pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

inforfun wrote: »
    Van Marwijk has in the past warned De Jong 2x. First time after injuring Stuart Holden in a friendly, 2x time after a friendly against Japan.

Not to mention his wild lunge at Alonso in the WC final.

Had to laugh at Brian Kidd trying to defend him by saying he's "not that sort of lad". Sure Brian, whatever you say, though his history of wild tackles and this being his second leg-breaker in 6 months would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Proper order. Fair play van Marwijk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah good so... take the rough stuff out of his game and then you're left with... what, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fantastic to see a manager take a stance like this with one of his players.

Also, reckless is just as bad as malicious IMO, so the "he's not that kind of lad" argument should mean nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

During a 3 March 2010 friendly, de Jong broke the leg of American international Stuart Holden in a reckless challenge, for which de Jong received a yellow card. De Jong showed no remorse, stating that "Such offenses are part of football. I went for the ball and got the opponent at the end. I had no evil intent.

But hes not that kind of lad.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

whatever about the tackle, i find it strange that he's dropped him.

will he touch his son in law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ah good so... take the rough stuff out of his game and then you're left with... what, exactly?

There's rough and then there's assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Fair play to the manager he's done the right thing!!

There are so many players in the league who are physical and get stuck into tackles without ever seriously injuring anyone!!

De Jong is a dirty player who seriously needs to cop on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

event wrote: »
    whatever about the tackle, i find it strange that he's dropped him.

will he touch his son in law?

I was waiting for that one....

Whatever you say about Van Bommel, he is annoying as **** at the best of times but i can not remember seeing him breaking legs. Certainly not 2x in 1 year.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

van Bommel more than meets their dirty player requirements anyway!

Odd if admirable move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good news for City really if he gets a week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I highly rate De Jong his intensity and commitment throughout matches is fantastic but you cannot defend what he did against Ben Arfa.

I have no doubt that he set out to "shake up" Ben Arfa from the get go to try and set the tone and let him know who is in charge. Since the incident went unpunished I think further action can be taken and if I've ever seen a challenge that warranted a violent conduct charge that would be one of them.

Fair play to the Holland boss aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Neil3030 wrote: »

Players who can walk perhaps?

De Jong, while a very good player imo, is reckless and a danger to his fellow professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The Dutch midfield is now far clearner without this reckless scumbag! Good riddance!

Marc van Bomnel and two others likes this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good response from the Dutch, he is getting out of hand and time to send him to the mental doctor :D
    Speaking to Algemeen Dagblad, Van Marwik said: "I've seen it on TV. It was a wild and unnecessary challenge.

"I don't think he did it on purpose, but he goes in way too hard in this challenge. That's
    a pity, because he doesn't need tackles like this.

"The strange thing is that the referee doesn't give a card. Apparently there are other standards over there.

"I have a problem with the way Nigel unnecessarily searches for the limit. I'm going to talk about that with him these days."

Leading pundit Hugo Borst added to the criticism of De Jong on the Studio Voetbal tv-show and labelled him a "criminal" and "shame" to Dutch football.

He said: "I have devoted many columns about this, but Nigel de Jong is a repeat offender, a criminal. I dare say this.

"Criminals can not help it because of the genetic influences," continued Borst. "But apparently de Jong, despite warnings, cannot control himself.

"Coach Bert van Marwijk has said that, Frank de Boer has said that, but the boy does not realise. That has to do with intelligence.

"It is unbelievable. Nigel de Jong is a shame for Dutch football."

Sparta Rotterdam head coach Jan Everse also stated to ESPN: "He needs to see a mental doctor."

Leading pundit Hugo Borst added to the criticism of De Jong on the Studio Voetbal tv-show and labelled him a "criminal" and "shame" to Dutch football.

:rolleyes:

Must be the Dutch equivalent of a Sun journo looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Reminds me of when Essien joined us. He had a few dodgy tackles and a stamp as well iirc. But he got it out of his game and his become a world class player, yes he had a risky ankle tackle on Diaby, but it was a 50-50 that both went for and Diaby continued on.

The main difference between De Jong and Essien in his early days in the EPL is De Jong has shwon enough to suggest its just part of his game to be a bruiser, but there is a fine line between going for the ball and breaking a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Delighted for him. Still can't believe we got €20m for the thug.

Pity the FA can't take action against him but well done Van Marwik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shameful, shameful tackle. If shocking premiership referees wont punish him then maybe his national team manager dropping him might make him learn. As for this "part of the game" nonsense, ask Holden and Ben Arfa if it's part of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Still a legend for this goal though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6DYwmpdfWM#t=04m45s

That draw away from home was HUGE, I hate Arsenal so so much and the equaliser from de Jong meant we got the point, and eventually put Arsenal out and went to the quarter-final ahead of them by a point. Get In!!! I was like a madman when that went in.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Must be the Dutch equivalent of a Sun journo looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Not really. Borst has several weekly columns and this newspaper (Algemeen Dagblad) is not a tabloid.
    He is also an analyst on a weekly footballshow on sunday evening, reviewing the Dutch league.
    Borst doesnt need his 15 minutes of fame at the expense of a football player who went repeatedly over the limit.

A case for the defence -

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/10/football-blogs/de-jong-should-be-drummed-out-of-the-game-apparently?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    De Jong should be ‘drummed out of the game’…apparently

Yesterday, Hatem Ben Arfa suffered a double break of his leg.

As a result of this, Nigel De Jong should be drummed out of the game. Not my words, but those of incisive analyst and shock-jock Stanley Collymore.

After City’s 2-1 over Newcastle, Collymore took it upon himself to launch into a personal hatchet job on De Jong. He even resorted to a photo of the tackle to try and prove his point. Yeah, that will tell us all we need to know Stan.

The problem with his approach was that it was a clean tackle. No one around me in the crowd thought it was a foul at the time. He clearly wins the ball, without showing any studs or raising a leg. The referee was fine with it. No Newcastle players complained (the most telling fact of all). And it took over 10 seconds and a foul on a City player before anyone realised Ben Arfa was injured. David Pleat thought he had dislocated his shoulder. Even Match of The Day barely mentioned it. And, for the record, Collymore saw nothing wrong with it at the time either-fancy that eh?

I’ve heard a few say that there was no need for the challenge. What? There’s no need for tackling, or to challenge for a loose ball? Let’s just ban tackling altogether, and be done with it.

Of course, we are talking about a player with a “reputation”. The simple fact is, if that challenge had been done by, for example, Gareth Barry, there’d be less uproar in the media, and Collymore et al would probably have had little to say. But it wasn’t – but what De Jong did in the World Cup Final is irrelevant, he may throw cats off bridges to wind down after matches, it doesn’t matter, he should be judged on the tackle, and the tackle alone. And it seems only those with an agenda have a problem with it.

You see, it’s the ignorance of pundits who decide on consequence not actions that annoys me. When discussing De Jong’s tackle, the broken leg is irrelevant. That is down to pure bad luck. Either it was a bad tackle or it wasn’t. As I have said before, a crude tackle can result in no injury, an innocuous challenge can rupture cruciate ligaments – that is the lottery of life. But the fact is, if Ben Arfa had sprung up uninjured, none of us would have been talking about this now. No one would be criticising De Jong. Lee Dixon would probably have used the tackle in a montage to show how he broke up play effectively. But because of a freak injury, suddenly it is decided that the tackle is now upgraded to some sort of assault. What absolute drivel.

Of course the repugnant Alan Green had to get involved and agreed with Collymore – he said the FA could now ban De Jong as he wasn’t booked at the time. Sorry to disappoint you Alan, but there will be no ban – you see the reason he wasn’t booked at the time is that he won the ball fairly, and I don’t think the FA ban players for that. I know you’re hurting at Liverpool’s spiral into oblivion, but please don’t take it out on City. And due to Sky Sports News 24-hour coverage of a waterlogged golf course in Wales, we may be spared them replaying the incident on a constant loop until the FA feel inclined to act.

Collymore’s stance is slightly more understandable. In his role on Talksport, like every other DJ on there, his job is to say something controversial or usually just plain stupid, to get calls coming in, to raise revenue. And he had a show on after the match, so he thought this would be a good way to get the lines buzzing. And he has the nerve to criticise how others do their job- you really do have to laugh sometimes. But thankfully most City fans had better things to do than listen to his pathetic rants, and his cunning plan failed. It’s funny how Stan thought he could criticise the Match of The Day pundits when clearly so incapable of incisive analysis himself. Let’s not forget that after England’s World Cup exit, one of Stan’s solutions was that every Premiership club should have to play five attacking players every game BY LAW. And as Martin Samuel kindly pointed out, Stan’s suggestions for replacements on the Match of The Day panel just happened to consist of a group of his mates. How very convenient.

De Jong is no saint. He plays hard, very hard, and is open to criticism, and man enough to take it. He has made some bad tackles, most notably an appalling foul on Stuart Holden a few months ago, he has made some mistakes, he has set his stall out as a certain type of player, and he will rise or fall by that. But please let’s not allow pre-conceived ideas of a person to cloud analysis of individual incidents on the football field. Leave that to Talksport.

Pick holes at will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Fair play to van Marwijk, proper order.

Breaking opponents legs is not "part of the game". imo its impossible to defend two horrific leg breaks, (and that f*cking ridiculous assault on Xabi Alonso in the World Cup final), especially when it all happens in such a short space of time, no matter what way you twist it. These are happening with too much regularly for them to be "accidents".

All this "sure lets just ban tackling" defense is utter bollocks imo. Major difference between being physical, and being an absolute danger to others, robbing 6/9/12 months of another professionals career.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    These are happening with too much regularly for them to be "accidents".

So De Jong broke the leg on purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a bit late for Marwijk to be getting concerned by the dirty nature of his players when he oversaw one of the dirtiest and most cynical teams in the World Cup.

De Jong is a thug though and not a relation to a footballer.

Its a sad reflection on the way the game is going that holding midfielders / destructive players are becoming so common ,some teams are employing two and others 3 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Dutch loss is City's gain. It does like mentioned of shocking double standard when no action was taken against Van Bommel. DJ might play hard but there is no way he sets out to intentionally hurt someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So De Jong broke the leg on purpose?

No, but he meant to make contact, rough up the player, make his presence felt etc. Word it however you like, but there was an intention there that shouldn't have been, and the leg break is a direct result of that intention.

karma_ wrote: »
    Dutch loss is City's gain. It does like mentioned of shocking double standard when no action was taken against Van Bommel. DJ might play hard but there is no way he sets out to intentionally hurt someone.

He may not set out to break legs but he certainly sets out to hurt people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I've watched the tackle numerous times & my opinion is the same as the first time i saw it.

nothing too wrong with it, a tough tackle, but that's about it.

the hysteria is purely as a result of the injury suffered, which is obviously unfortunate, but people need to quit the hysteria that arises every time a player breaks his leg......guess what? professional footballers breaking their legs a few times a season is to be expecte and is no big deal.

This publicity stunt from the Dutch manager is entirely to try & garner a bit of good publicity after the embarrasment his side were in the WC final in regards to seemingly want to kick players instead of the ball.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    No, but he meant to make contact, rough up the player, make his presence felt etc.

so?
    meant to make contact? football is a contact sport is it not?
    rough up the player? midfield general in wanting to rough up an opposition player shocker! :rolleyes: nothing wrong with hard man players, the likes of Keane & Souness are as much part of the game as the likes of Torres or Ronaldo.
    Make his presence felt? midfield player making his presence felt? god forbid!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I've watched the tackle numerous times & my opinion is the same as the first time i saw it.

nothing too wrong with it, a tough tackle, but that's about it.

the hysteria is purely as a result of the injury suffered, which is obviously unfortunate, but people need to quit the hysteria that arises every time a player breaks his leg......guess what? professional footballers breaking their legs a few times a season is to be expecte and is no big deal.

This publicity stunt from the Dutch manager is entirely to try & garner a bit of good publicity after the embarrasment his side were in the WC final in regards to seeming want to kick players instead of the ball.

De Jong is known to be too reckless and dangerous to his fellow pros, it's not like it was John O'Shea or someone like that, who don't have a history of it. He deserves a 5 match ban, imo, because the most harmless of red cards would give you a 3 match ban.

but he didn't deserve red card fot the tackle? why should he get a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Players may not get a red card in a match, but there is no such thing as retrospective red cards (perhaps there should be) so dropping him from the squad is a way to make it known that those types of tackles are not welcome in football

the tackle was for City, i presumed when Baz was referring to a retrospective ban, he meant one imposed by the PL.

He got the ball, so the ref obviously saw it as a clean tackle, just unlucky. But because of that, I think I'm right in thinking, the FA review panel or whatever they're called can look over it and decide whether it deserves a ban or not. Which, imo, it clearly does because it's unbelievably reckless.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the same tackle was made by the ginger aul fella in Utds midfield would you think the tackle was deserving of a retrospective ban?

I'm guessing not, cause we see tackles like that on an almost weekly basis from him.

The injury suffered, is regrettable, but when judging the tackle, entirely irrelevant.

baz2009 wrote: »
    He got the ball, so the ref obviously saw it as a clean tackle, just unlucky. But because of that, I think I'm right in thinking, the FA review panel or whatever they're called can look over it and decide whether it deserves a ban or not. Which, imo, it clearly does because it's unbelievably reckless.

Sweet, well maybe this panel can have a look at Tiote's wild lunge on Milner that went unpunished. Or the 50 other similar tackles that go in on your average Premier League weekend.

And then let's hit up the lower tiers as well. There'll be bans all over the shop.

This publicity stunt from the Dutch manager is entirely to try & garner a bit of good publicity after the embarrasment his side were in the WC final in regards to seemingly want to kick players instead of the ball.

Publicity stunt it is not.
    De Jong has been warned in the past by Van Marwijk that action might follow if he doesnt cut this kind of nonsense out of his game.
    Both times the news probably didnt blow over the North Sea because it was after friendlies with the Dutch team.

Now he stepped over the limit again and the spotlights are more than ever on De Jong.
    Holland is playing Sweden and can not run the risc to have him sent off against the only serious opposition in the group.

Van Marwijk is just smart not to select him.
    Of course it will give him quite a lot of praise, just read this thread alone. But ultimately he wants to avoid a situation where some referee wants to make a name for himself and sent off De Jong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I wonder if the same tackle was made by the ginger aul fella in Utds midfield would you think the tackle was deserving of a retrospective ban?

I'm guessing not, cause we see tackles like that on an almost weekly basis from him.

The injury suffered, is regrettable, but when judging the tackle, entirely irrelevant.
    How many leg's had paul scholes broke in his many many many years of playing?

While he does frequent the late tackle, he has never been as malicious in his tackling as De Jong.

You are talking out your hole on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought this was an example of a much worse tackle over the weekend.

tackle.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

but yet he will start Van Bommell most likely a player who was highlighted more in the world cup, is nastier and nowhere near as good.

doesn't seem like great management to me tbh.

Horgan wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Haven't you been reading?

They were all accidents, De Jong is a saint

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How many leg's had paul scholes broke in his many many many years of playing?

While he does frequent the late tackle, he has never been as malicious in his tackling as De Jong.

You are talking out your hole on that one.

the amount of leg breaks is irrelevant Scholes has caused is irrelevant, simple fact is Scholes does the kinda tackles De Jong did at the weekend, week in week out.

i'll repeat this, the broken leg is irrelevant.

the amount of leg breaks is irrelevant Scholes has caused is irrelevant, simple fact is Scholes does the kinda tackles De Jong did at the weekend, week in week out.

i'll repeat this, the broken leg is irrelevant.
    If you think paul scholes makes those tackles week in, and week out, you are an idiot.

There is a difference between a late tackle, and an attempt to take the player out and hurt him.

Paul scholes, while not the best tackler ever, is in the former.

De Jong is in the latter.

Haven't you been reading?

They were all accidents, De Jong is a saint

Well yeah, if he didn't break the leg intentionally then they were accidents.

(excessive use of rolleyes to add some emphasis - :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Horgan wrote: »

The first one is a thundering disgrace & its strange the dutch manager didn't see fit to ban him after that one. but yet is so incensed after this latest innocuous one.

The other two are meh, the one against the US is a definate foul & yellow card, but thats it.

The other one ain't even a foul.

Its thats your "proof" he is a dirty player, i'm afraid you're failing in your intention.

If you think paul scholes makes those tackles week in, and week out, you are an idiot.

And if you think Nigel De Jong makes those tackles week in, week out, you are an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The ginger lad usually get's his red cards during the game anyway. How many legs has he broken in his career? And if he got away with a nasty tackle on the field, I'd have no problem in a subsequent suspension.

Another from the De Jong highlight reel:
    1se6jd.jpg

And if you think Nigel De Jong makes those tackles week in, week out, you are an idiot.
    I never said he did?

If I did feel free to point it out.

I know you are a city fan, but he is a tad over-aggressive at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement