Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel de Jong dumped from Dutch squad.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And were you?

Nice deflection

I will answer though. If Keane made the same challenge De Jong did I would have no problem with it. Why? Because I don't see a problem with it right across the board. It's blown out of proportion because of an unfotunate leg break. If that accident didn't happen we would have heard nothing about it on Monday morning.

So, will you answer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice deflection

I will answer though. If Keane made the same challenge De Jong did I would have no problem with it. Why? Because I don't see a problem with it right across the board. It's blown out of proportion because of an unfotunate leg break. If that accident didn't happen we would have heard nothing about it on Monday morning.

So, will you answer now?

:cool:

You can tackle without needing to take a player's standing leg, and take out the player as well as the ball you know.

I would have the same opinion of his tackles yes, but Keane had far more to his game than hurting players. As has been said, De Jong without hard tackles is not a city quality player.

I can almost guarantee that you'll be complaining about a similar tackle on a city player before the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I can almost guarantee that you'll be complaining about a similar tackle on a city player before the end of the season.

Be funny if it was De Jong.:pac:

:cool:

You can tackle without needing to take a player's standing leg, and take out the player as well as the ball you know.

I would have the same opinion of his tackles yes, but Keane had far more to his game than hurting players. As has been said, De Jong without hard tackles is not a city quality player.

De Jong also has far more to his game than hurting players.

You can't almost guarantee anything but we'll see.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Be funny if it was De Jong.:pac:

No, no it wouldn't. It wouldn't be funny if it happened to any player but nice to know the mentality we're dealing with.

No, no it wouldn't. It wouldn't be funny if it happened to any player but nice to know the mentality we're dealing with.

:pac:
    Someone's a bit of a moany Michael.
    If you can't see that that comment was in jest, then just go sit in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzWRtkB8xc

6 secs into this vid. A tackle from a Newcastle centre half on a Chelsea player. Picture is too blurry to make out the players for me.

Anyways, going by everyone's logic here I assume that tackle should be a red card? He flipped the player :eek: which was completely needless and he could have just won the ball. The tackle was unnecessary so I guess everyone agrees that this should be a red card too yes?

EDIT: Better video of it here. It's Scott Parker on Joe Cole. 40 seconds in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

SantryRed wrote: »

6 secs into this vid. A tackle from a Newcastle centre half on a Chelsea player. Picture is too blurry to make out the players for me.

Anyways, going by everyone's logic here I assume that tackle should be a red card? He flipped the player :eek: which was completely needless and he could have just won the ball. The tackle was unnecessary so I guess everyone agrees that this should be a red card too yes?

EDIT: Better video of it here. It's Scott Parker on Joe Cole. 40 seconds in.

Joe cole and scott parker.

From 0:40 on.

Yet another pointless arguement. That was nothing like the De Jong tackle.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Lets just post all the videos we have of people being tackled, that means De Jongs a nice guy!

Well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Lets just post all the videos we have of people being tackled, that means De Jongs a nice guy!

Well played.

Yes there's a new law don't you know. 300 wrongs make a right.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Yet another pointless arguement. That was nothing like the De Jong tackle.:confused:

That was worse. Parker went in faster than De Jong. The only difference being the fact that Cole was off the ground and therefore didn't get his leg trapped. De Jong went in slower than Parker did but unfortunately ben Arfa's leg got trapped and therefore broke. People are letting the injury to Ben Arfa and the tackle in the World Cup Final cloud their judgement on this issue.

Well played.

Did you even read my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Did you even read my post?

Oh I'm sorry, i've obviously misread it,

Could you re-quote the part about how after using one leg to win the ball, Scott Parker used his other leg to smash into Joe Coles standing leg breaking it in two places?

Oh I'm sorry, i've obviously misread it,

Could you re-quote the part about how after using one leg to win the ball, Scott Parker used his other leg to smash into Joe Coles standing leg breaking it in two places?

There you go!

You are using the injury to say De Jong's tackle was bad! The reason Scott Parker didn't catch Cole with his trailing leg is due to the fact that Cole ended up airborne. The exact same thing could have happened Ben Arfa but it was just unfortunate that ben Arfa's leg stayed on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Actually just saw De jongs tackle there for the first time.

Couldnt believe the amount of uproar post game. Tackle looked intense, but won the ball.

If there wasnt any enforcers in the game we would have a world of jockying and Nani's, I'm sorry but tackling needs to be there and as we have ALL seen thanks to Jose mourinho who we can thank, defensive bruisers are a necessity if you want to do well in pretty much any league.

Another completely blown out of proportion case, so sorry, I'm not congratulating the Holland coach, who just absolutely buckled under media pressure and drop a player.

Unfortunate for Ben Arfa who I wanted to see more off.

but at the end of the day, sliding tackle, one footed, on the ground, won the ball and the two players momentums took Arfa into De jongs pulled back leg and the damage is done.

De jogn might have had every intention of roughing someone up, but the tackle didnt look an intentional leg breaker.

People need to get a grip on themselves. The game is taking such a nosedive if tackles like that are causing so much uproar : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

TheDoc wrote: »

Couldnt believe the amount of uproar post game. Tackle looked intense, but won the ball.

Competely irrevalent...people still trotting this BS line.

This issue here is the the unneeded force which some players are jumping into tackles with. Why did DeJong need to follow through with his trailing leg? Its negligence on his part and a lack of respect for fellow prefessionals.

Nobody is trying to outlaw tackling.

An article from Danny Murphy talking about this issue....glad to see a professional coming out and telling it like it is.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Danny-Murphy-launched-an-Arsene-Wenger-style-attack-on-brainless-Wolves-Stoke-and-Blackburn-Rovers-over-their-aggressive-approach-to-football-article596131.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

TheDoc wrote: »

but at the end of the day, sliding tackle, one footed, on the ground, won the ball and the two players momentums took Arfa into De jongs pulled back leg and the damage is done.

De jogn might have had every intention of roughing someone up, but the tackle didnt look an intentional leg breaker.

People need to get a grip on themselves. The game is taking such a nosedive if tackles like that are causing so much uproar : /

His tackle wasn't on the ground, he lunged in at Ben Arfa with both feet off the ground. His trailing leg caught Ben Arfa on the knee ffs.

I don't think anybody would call for tackling to be knocked on the head or restricted but this mentality of trying to win the ball while attempting to do the player as well isn't on, it's causing player's serious injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just as regards the thread, it was turned into a United v City thing, on purpose! Few people fell right into it by judging Scholes by a different standard because his tackles have resulted in less broken legs apparently, which is ridiculous.

Anyway, I haven't seen the tackle by De Jong but there is a sad tradition and mindset in my opinion in the UK and Irish football where winning the ball is the king. No matter the outcome after, winning the ball is all that matters and I think it's pretty sad. I see it with certain players and things and they believe because of this they have carte blanche to fly into wild tackles. If they get the ball, it was a great tackle. If they don't, it was a "50-50".

The likes of Henry for Wolves didn't just suddenly start flying into people like that one day, he was encouraged by the culture of acceptance. Bit off topic but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Piece from Fifa medical chief on the same thing too.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2010/10/08/2156034/fifa-medical-chief-slates-the-netherlands-punishment-of

Everyone is getting in on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

MaxPower89 wrote: »

I hope for Murphy's sake the playing schedule doesnt read Stoke (A), Wolves (H), Blackburn(A) for the next few weeks.
    He is brave.
    And right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

First time I've actually bothered to look at the tackle.

There's just no need for De Jong to go to ground there, and do that scissor motion, and to do it with such force. No ****ing need at all.

Horrible horrible player.

Marseille are now going to sue De Jong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

el dude wrote: »
    First time I've actually bothered to look at the tackle.

There's just no need for De Jong to go to ground there, and do that scissor motion, and to do it with such force. No ****ing need at all.

Horrible horrible player.

Yeah I agree with this. He doesn't need to go to ground and throw himself into the tackle like that. The reason he does it is to try and harm the player. He does this type of thing so often it's obvious that he means it.

The manager's real convictions on the issue are a bit questionable seeing as he hasn't dropped van Bommel.

I do like my tough tackling midfielders but there has to be a limit and I'm glad de Jong is getting some punishment at least.

Also, for the record, imo Scholes should have received way more bans in his career. The amount of shíte he gets away with is a joke.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in court. The tackle didn't look particularly reckless so the problem is that only De Jong knows what his intention was and he'll never admit to having intended to cause harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jaysus. Pathetic tbh.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jaysus. Pathetic tbh.

Pathetic?? To see whether De Jong is responsible for causing serious damage to another player. Perfectly reasonable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This should and will be thrown out of court. If anything happens De Jong in court it will be the end of football as we know it. No chance of that happening though and it is pathetic of Marseille even trying it. Bit rich coming from a club that was found guilty of match-fixing not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seeming Marseille are saying they will sue if Newcastle don't buy Ben Arfa at the agreed price (5million) as it is unlikely Ben Arfa will hit the number of games to trigger the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Seeming Marseille are saying they will sue if Newcastle don't buy Ben Arfa at the agreed price (5million) as it is unlikely Ben Arfa will hit the number of games to trigger the purchase.

Win - win situation then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement