Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a mod....... help please

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

I have an issue with a mod....
    whats the best way of resolving it?

i believe the mod in question has tried to bully me by threatening to ban me if i respond to any poster asking them not to criticise but rather to contribute.

I've reported two of this mods posts but have received no feedback.(probably to themselves)

i know i might not be everyone's cup of tea but i feel free speech and the ability to defend oneself on boards is a basic right, no?

here's the thread in question.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...y#post68332498
    Last edited by thebullkf; Today at 15:15. Reason: spelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

No need for a cmod to step in on this.

thebullkf : I've read that thread you linked to. you havent been banned, you havent been infracted. the so this is a helpdesk matter and not a Dispute Resolution matter.

moving to heldpesk.

now:

From that thread, you posted to offer your opinion on a matter and when others didnt agree with you you started to argue. thats fine. You have every right to disagree. However, if you wish to post on boards.ie I would suggest that you do so politely and less of the rolleye smileys.

KHANNIE, as moderator of the forum, had every right to ask you to tone it down. You however, decided to get indignant and go on the offensive with a quite argumentative response.

As far as your claim of bullying: Khannie advosed you what would happen if you continued in the same fashion you had started. he was well within the rules and was not applyignthem in an unfair or prejudiced way.

right to free speech: not on boards you dont. boards.ie is a privately owned internet forum managed and maintained by volunteers. You dont get charged to use it. You may feel that you are "entitled" to say anythign you want but I can assure you that is not the case. Please read the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you signed up

http:/www.boards.ie/terms/

and then be sure to read the forum charters before you post in future.

If freedom of speech is so important to you that you cannot, or feel you should not, limit your outburst to what is considered acceptable in polite society then I would suggest that you search the itnernet for somewhere that shares your opinions. I can assure you though that freedom of speech is not something you will find on the internet as long as solicitors know how to use google.

now, I apologise if this seems unfair or draconian to you but boards.ie is a community and the moderators are tasked with making the community as pleasant and useful as possible for the majority of users. this does mean that certain liberties are removed (just as in real life society I suppose) but not without just cause or prior experience.

on a compeltely seperate note:
    care to add a mature comment?...thought not...

can you explain to me how that actually works? you post both parts of the sentence at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

LoLth wrote: »
    now:

From that thread, you posted to offer your opinion on a matter and when others didnt agree with you you started to argue. thats fine. You have every right to disagree. However, if you wish to post on boards.ie I would suggest that you do so politely and less of the rolleye smileys

Fair enough.
    KHANNIE, as moderator of the forum, had every right to ask you to tone it down. You however, decided to get indignant and go on the offensive with a quite arguemantaive response

As far as your claim of bullying: Khannie advosed you what would happen if you continued in the same fashion you had started. he was well within the rules and was not applyignthem in an unfair or prejudiced way.

not so fair enough as the thread shows,but i accept your response.
    right to free speech: not on boards you dont. boards.ie is a privately owned internet forum managed and maintained by volunteers. You dont get charged to use it. You may feel that you are "entitled" to say anythign you want but I can assure you that is not the case. Please read the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you signed up

http:/www.boards.ie/terms/

and then be sure to read the forum charters before you post in future.

thats not what i meant. i think you know this- i wasn't being offensive.
    If freedom of speech is so important to you that you cannot, or feel you should not, limit your outburst to what is considered acceptable in polite society then I would suggest that you search the itnernet for somewhere that shares your opinions. I can assure you though that freedom of speech is not something you will find on the internet as long as solicitors know how to use google.

eh wtf is the highlighted part about?? outburst?. i simply responded to a comment made by a fellow mod which intimated that i bought 'dodgy'
    stuff@ markets.
    when i retorted i was told to tone it down:confused:
    now, I apologise if this seems unfair or draconian to you but boards.ie is a community and the moderators are tasked with making the community as pleasant and useful as possible for the majority of users. this does mean that certain liberties are removed (just as in real life society I suppose) but not without just cause or prior experience.

no need to apologise.;) i accept i can be confrontational @ times but i get quite indignant @ certain things-buying baby formula from a stall in a farmers field (with no idea of storage/transport conditions etc ) is one of them.
    I would however like an apology from Khannie as i feel i was threatend on thread in bold and i felt i had to go via this route.

on a compeltely seperate note:
    can you explain to me how that actually works? you post both parts of the sentence at the same time....

rhetorical question, i replied to thaedydal within 40 mins- i was remonstrated with by khannie outof the blue who made absolutley no contribution but rather something to the effect of 'ffs its monday morning-stop arguing'.

etc

.........you read the thgread.

all in all a measured response from yourself,:)has has been generally the case since i and friends of mine joined boards.
    its just sometimes i feel mods overstep the mark. i feel khannie
    did today-i felt intimidated and felt i couldn't post for fear of banning when i hadn't even been infracted.
    I reported Khannie's post (prob to himself) but received no reply PM.

hence the reason for the escalation.

i have since received a PM which i've replied to,but no offer of an apology which i feel is warranted. i feel khannie was plexing his muscles asamod and should apologise-on thread in the same one we were discussing in.

Anyways.
    kind regards and m,any thanks for your efforts.;)

Khannie is moderator of the Parenting forum. It is his job to ensure that discussion continues on topic and politely, or at least civilly. The moderator does not need to make a contribution to a thread in order to comment on it or post a mod warning if he thinks it is justified.

From reading the thread, Khannie intervened with a light hearted comment about it being monday morning in an attempt to get you to step back from the discussion and calm down. Your posts were becoming increasingly aggressive , at least that is how they read, you may have intended them to be passionate or to convey a depth of emotion on the subject but in this case they were at the higher end of confrontational.

We'll never know but I suspect that had you toned it down a bit the discussion could have continued after the moderator request.

As it is, you seem to have mistaken Khannie for a user or not realised he was a moderator and taken his intervention as an affront instead of the neutral moderation it was. Your reaction was to turn your attention to him and post in a confrontational manner.

Khannie informed you of teh consequences of a repeat breach of the forum charter:

you can read the full charter here but the relevant bits are copied below:
    There is no free speech!
    -Boards is a privately owned website. You do not have the right to say whatever you want on here.Using common sense is a must

this is in keeping with boards.ie policy. I only quote it as one of your original complaints was based on this issue.
    Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offense if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post.

I believe that Khannie was concerned that your level of confrontation could easily spill over into this territory , in my opinion, telling someone that you feel sorry for their children is already getting very close to that , and felt he needed to intervene before this rule was broken and a ban resulted.
    Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

and this is why he posted in bold and informed you that if you continued to argue you would be banned.

If anything Khannie was being lenient and giving you a chance to continue your discussion.

As such, I do not believe Khannie owes you an apology public or otherwise nor will I request such of him. If anything, an apology for the mistaken accusation of bullying would be owed by you. I'm not going to ask you to though. thats entirely up to you. I however do not feel Khannie in any way overstepped the mark, I think he stood right where he was supposed to be and acted in a proper manner as befitting his interpretation of the situation, which , I have to say was my initial interpretation as well.

To the parenting mods:
    @Khannie: I hope this matter is settled and you continue to treat thebullkf the same as you would any other user of the parenting forum.

@Thaedydal: you need ot update the Pregnancy forum charter to reflect recent changes :p

@thebullkf: reported posts go to all mods of a forum, in this case: embee, Khannie, nesf, Thaedydal . Also, Khannie did respond to your PM, maybe not in the timeframe you were expecting but mods being volunteers and having pesky real life intrude on their modding time can lead to the perception of a delay in response time. If he responded within 24 hours then , to me, thats pretty good going. I can get timestamps from Khannie to verify but I suspect that Khannie's response was a lot quicker than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LoLth wrote: »
    To the parenting mods:
    @Khannie: I hope this matter is settled and you continue to treat thebullkf the same as you would any other user of the parenting forum.

Yep. Thanks LoLth. I consider the matter closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

matter is closed imo.

thanks anyway.

thebullkf

Advertisement