Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for chilli, no kidney beans please!

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I would love a nice recipe for chilli without the kidney beans, anyone have one for me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

a bean in the shape of a kidney... whats not to like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

steve22 wrote: »
    a bean in the shape of a kidney... whats not to like??
    Everything!! Nothing right with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Would you use chickpeas instead? I think they are lovely in chillis

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

i didnt like them for years either... well i thought i didnt until i tasted them! they're actually really nice! Chickpeas also! they're good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I put mine up in the cooking club forum for week 24. It doesn't have kidney beans, but I do like adding pinto or black beans to my chilli (and it's more authentic - beans are poor people food and chilli is a poor people dish):
    The beans are a religious thing. Some people love them in chilli, some hate them. Some will cook the beans and serve them seperately so that the lovers won't have a punchup with the haters. And then there's the types of beans. Personally, I love black beans and pinto beans in my chilli, texas be damned. Ordinary haricot or navy beans (the kind Heinz use in tins) are too flavourless, red kidney beans aren't much better despite the tradition of using them, broad beans just fall apart to mush, and aduki beans get lost. I have done chillis with up to seven different kinds of beans in the past, but mostly these days I just stick to black and pinto beans. There should be about as many beans as mince, by weight, so about a pound of black or pinto beans in this recipe (it's black beans in the photos).

If you even think of putting sweetcorn in this dish, by the way, you're an abomination unto dog and man alike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you want to make a quick chilli, or "cheat's chilli" then the following will make you happy. (For a proper chilli, see Sparks' recipe above.)

Serves 3-4

500g lean beef mince
    1 onion, minced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1-2 small fresh chillies, minced (choose your own heat)
    1 jar tomato salsa (choose your own heat)
    2 tablespoons of tomato puree
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp curry powder (choose your own heat)
    2 tsp paprika (not smoked)
    1 tsp chilli powder
    2 tsp sugar (or mango chutney)
    Plenty of salt and pepper
    Good splash of boiling water from the kettle, or if you have it handy, some leftover red wine (make sure you like the taste of it)

Brown mince, draining most of the fat. Add in onions, garlic and chopped fresh chillies. Stir around the pan until the vegetables are softened.

Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Judge for yourself how much water to add. Allow to simmer for 10-15 mins. Taste it for seasoning - if something is lacking it may be more salt needed - and then eat with nachos, cheddar, sour cream, guacamole, rice, tortillas, sweetcorn and all that good stuff. :)

Btw, if you pour this over good bread, you've got yourself a sloppy joe. :)

Advertisement