Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training with a cold

• 04-10-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Bad idea, or should I power through? I could suck it up, but don't want to get mucous all over the mats.

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

POWER THROUGH, ITS NOT EXACTLY A BROKEN LEG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Are you going to be doing a lot of grappling/close up stuff? You don't want to give everyone else in the room your cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NaoiseC

Sign in a gym in the states where I did a few sessions:
    If you have a cold/flu go home, we don't want it.
    If you want to sweat it out go for a run.

Says it all if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Actually, it only occurred to me after I'd left the computer there that since it's Judo, going in with a cold is a pretty dick thing to do as everyone would get it. Only starting up, so hopefully I don't miss much. Fingers crossed I'm better by Thursday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I trained through a cold for a fortnight back in August. By the time September rolled around I was too wrecked to even go for a jog. Relax for three or four days until you're over the worst and you'll be able to train again at your best a lot sooner :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

OP if you have a bath,get it as hot as you can bear and sweat it out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

4g of Vit C throughout your day with 15mg of zinc and 5g of garlic - goodbye cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

+1 on the garlic, worked perfectly insted of antibiotics recently altho reccomend chopping up and knocking back with water like pills instead of chewing.

5 cloves a day for 4-5 days

http://www.ehow.com/how_2183736_use-garlic-as-antibiotic.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why would anyone be on antibiotics for a cold? :confused:

To get better as fast as possible.

Was for a cyst under a wisdom tooth in my case, worked a treat

• Advertisement

The stress of judo will inhibit your recovery. You're better off taking a day or two off, looking after yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Peetrik wrote: »
    To get better as fast as possible.
    Antibiotics won't make you recover form a cold any quicker. It's not what they are designed for.

Taking antibiotics for your cold would be like using a shovel to paint your house.

True but usually if your body is taking its time getting rid of a cold its because you picked up some bad bacteria while your immune system was busy dealing with your cold... or so I was told, plus as its natural its effective on resistant strains of bacteria.

Im a bit of a hippy for the natural remedies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Peetrik wrote: »
    +1 on the garlic, worked perfectly insted of antibiotics recently altho reccomend chopping up and knocking back with water like pills instead of chewing.

5 cloves a day for 4-5 days

http://www.ehow.com/how_2183736_use-garlic-as-antibiotic.html

Even better. No garlic what so ever for 4-5 days = good bye cold.

Colds just need to run their course, there is nothing you can take that will clear them up faster. You only can treat the symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

before you go training put vicks in a bowl with kettle water (boiled:P) put a towel over your and bowl breath through your nose and mouth and then head training works a charm P.S. KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED WHEN DOING THIS OTHER WISE YOU'LL HAVE MINT EYE SIGHT :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Keep your cold to yourself ol' skin ;)

Esp now with lads preparing for a national grading next Sunday and The Irish Open on the 23rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Antibiotics won't make you recover form a cold any quicker. It's not what they are designed for.

Taking antibiotics for your cold would be like using a shovel to paint your house.

You've seen my house?

;)

Advertisement