Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish setter question...

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

My Irish Setter is mad about the water and loves her daily sea walks but she heads straight for the water as soon as I let her off the lead. Just wondering is it safe for her to be in the sea-water during the winter months? Obviously don't want her to catch hypothermia - I know that Labradors are generally ok but they have very different coats...anyone have any idea on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

She should be fine- just make sure she can be warm and dry when you get home. Setters tend to have less body fat than Labradors, so it's true they may get a bit colder, but I really wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Wisco wrote: »
    She should be fine- just make sure she can be warm and dry when you get home. Setters tend to have less body fat than Labradors, so it's true they may get a bit colder, but I really wouldn't worry too much.
    Thanks wisco..she does shiver like hell when she comes out of the sea but she was doing that even at the height of summer...I suspect it might be as much down to excitement as cold.

Advertisement