Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which "treat myself" whisk(e)y?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I'm far from being a whiskey connoisseur, but am finding myself getting more and more into it. Day to day, I drink Johnnie Walker Black Label, and have limited experience with the better stuff.

I like Midleton a lot, and have tried JW Blue Label which I thought was ok, but not worth the price.

As regards single malts, I'm partial to the Balvenie 15 year single barrel, but find Knappogue Castle too thin.

I mention the above as examples of my tastes. Not sure if they are consistent, but anyway, I would like to get a top quality whisk(e)y to keep me warm during these autumn evenings. I am considering the following:

Bushmills 21 year madeira finish
    Bushmills Millenium malt
    Jameson 18 year old
    Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve

Which should I go for? Am leaning towards the Bushmills Millenium, but not for any particularly valid reason.

Or would a Connemara or Kilbeggan be worth trying? And what about Japanese?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

whats your budget!?

in my opinion you really are nameing 4 tottally different drinks there!
    How bout a bottle of the johnny Blue or green?

but from those 4, I would go wqith the Bushmills millenium anyway,but i have a thing sfor that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Yes, I'm sure they're very different. As I said, I don't know much about whisk(e)y. I don't even know what I like apart from being able to name a few that I enjoyed. I'm happy to keep experimenting in the up to 50 quid range, but would want a bit of advice before jumping in any deeper.

I don't really have a number in mind, but I would want some serious convincing to spend over 200, so the Jameson Rarest Reserve is an unlikely buy, unless I can get it from US duty free.

I have JW Blue, Green, and Gold at home (in a 4 x 20cl selection pack). Haven't tried the green yet, and I prefer the Gold to the Blue. Will have a drop tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Bruce7 wrote: »

Bushmills 21 year madeira finish
    Bushmills Millenium malt
    Jameson 18 year old
    Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve

Which should I go for? Am leaning towards the Bushmills Millenium, but not for any particularly valid reason.

Or would a Connemara or Kilbeggan be worth trying? And what about Japanese?

The 4 you've named are all great whiskies in their own way.

Bushmills 21yo is probably the lightest of the four.

Most Bushmills Millenium are great too but be aware that they are all different so peoples recomendations/reviews may be in relation to a different bottling. Basically it was a batch of 365 single casks sold individually.

Jameson 18yo is a wonderful whiskey too but the price is sometimes hard to justify for an 18yo. Think of the 12yo but slight more velvety and luxurious.

Jameson RVR is one of the best whiskies I've tasted in a long time but the Price of it here in Ireland is frightening and even if you can get it for under 250Euro still a large investment so the price to value rational goes out the window. Currently in Edinburgh Airport for £200. Wonderfully rich basically pure luxury in a Jameson.

If your in Dublin you should pop into the Celtic WHiskey shop and they would be only delighted to chat to you.

May I also suggest

You could also try and seach out a Bushmills Sherry Single Cask. Fabulous stuff and cask strength so you can easily water to you level.

Redbreast 15yo ... stellar stuff of legend which was originally a once off release in 2005 but now on general but limited release and available for €75 as opposed €120 previously.

Tyrconnell 10yo Maderia ... a wonderful flavoursome whiskey that is very approachable at the same time and has won a bucket load of awards and admirers from far and near.

In regard to Japanese I notice the Celtic WHiskey SHop has

Hibiki 17yo ... a beautifully smooth & sweet whiskey and very quafable.

both relaxation whiskies that are smooth and easily approachable whiskies but again with plenty of flavour.

Duplicate Post sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

All very good advice.

Others to consider...

Jameson Gold
    Yamazaki Sherry finish
    Lagavulin 16 (if you like peaty stuff)
    Highland Park 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

actually, look at the yamazaki, amazing japanesse whiskey and I was at the whiskey shop in london last week and he was telling me that they are stopping production of it!?!?

But hands down the best whiskey outside of uk and ireland in my opinion..

I actually class it nicer than the 12 and 18 yamazaki aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A whiskey can be a treat drink at any price, I'd start with redbreast 12yo or something similar if you haven't already tried it. The 15 yo is now on my list of drinks to try thanks to IWC.

I tasted the Johnnie Walker green label last night. It's good stuff, very fresh, but a bit raw in my opinion. It made me think of an early morning hill walk, and would be just the thing to bring with you in a hip flask, or to a match. What I am looking for here, though, is something to sip by the fire at the end of the day.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've had Redbreast 12 y.o. and liked it. Think I'll start with the 15 y.o. but next on the list will be the Tyrconnell 10 y.o. Madeira and one of the Japanese.

I was born in 75, so think I'll also get the Bushmills Millenium, but might wait until closer to Christmas.

actually, look at the yamazaki, amazing japanesse whiskey and I was at the whiskey shop in london last week and he was telling me that they are stopping production of it!?!?

But hands down the best whiskey outside of uk and ireland in my opinion..

I actually class it nicer than the 12 and 18 yamazaki aswell

Cracking whisky and available here

I tasted the Johnnie Walker green label last night. It's good stuff, very fresh, but a bit raw in my opinion. It made me think of an early morning hill walk, and would be just the thing to bring with you in a hip flask, or to a match. What I am looking for here, though, is something to sip by the fire at the end of the day.
    That could be the Talisker in the blend (It's a blend of malts) coming through. Talisker has a wonderful peppery-ness and some people find it a bit firey.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've had Redbreast 12 y.o. and liked it. Think I'll start with the 15 y.o. but next on the list will be the Tyrconnell 10 y.o. Madeira and one of the Japanese.

The RB 15yo will be a lovely step up. The Tyrconnell is a worthy one to try also but quite different not having the usual sherry influence of the others we've mentioned. But from the Japanese stock available in the Celtic Whiskey Shop they have the Hibiki 17yo which is a real smooth and quite sweet and an excellent after dinner whiskey as is the Tyrconnell Madiera.
    I was born in 75, so think I'll also get the Bushmills Millenium, but might wait until closer to Christmas.

Definiately a worthy reason to purchase a Milliennium Bushmills ... and you won't be dissappointed when you eventually do decide to get one. However keep your eyes peeled and you may come across a bargain ... especially on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

I'm gonna throw Greenspot into the mix-one of my fav value for money whiskeys at about €35. Hard enough to find though.

But I'd be interested to hear what the regular whiskey drinkers here think about it or whether they have tried it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's my favourite. Didn't think it was especially hard to find, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I like greenspot myself, very smooth pot still whiskey.

I'd recommend you pick up pot-still like greenspot. A single malt like tyrconnell or one of the bushmills. A single grain like greenore and a blended whiskey like the 12yo Jameson or a Kilbeggan.

You'll get all of the above under budget.

Do a bit of research while you're enjoying them and educate yourself as you go. You could try the scotch whiskys after that or try them first if that's your preference.

What's tyrconnell like? For some reason I associate it with peat but I'm not sure I've even tasted it, it might be the pictures on the bottles/boxes influencing me.

Tyrconnell is not peated, only the Connemara and the Locke's (to a lesser extent).

There are some very nice Tyrconnell finishes. The Madeira one gets most of teh acclaim. And the Celtic Whiskey Shop have their own one now that's really good - http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Irish_Whiskey/Cooley_Distillery/Tyrconnell_Whiskey/Tyrconnell_10yo_AN_Mallorcan_Wine_Cask_Finish-z-product-recordid-772-context-brand-category-1-country-0-brand-2-distillery-2-page-1.htm.

I think the Redbreast 15 might be the best suggestion. It's fantastic. The earlier batches are supposed to be the best, although I haven't tasted the new ones. Or you might be able to pick up a Jameson 15 Millennium on eBay. It's brilliant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Glenmorangie the only whisky for me

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

If I was going to treat myself I'd go for one of:

Edradour - lovely little highland distillery, gorgeous warmth, like a Christmas cake in a bottle.

Springbank 15YO - If Edradour is like a cake in a bottle, this like a fishing village. Brine, smoke, sweetness and light.

Bowmore 15YO "Darkest" - Moves from sweet vanilla and malted toffee through to brine, salted butter and leather.

What's tyrconnell like? For some reason I associate it with peat but I'm not sure I've even tasted it, it might be the pictures on the bottles/boxes influencing me.

The regular Tyrconnell is fruity and light, Apples and pears on the nose

A single cask version or one of the Finishes, as Brockagh mentions, would have more flavours and be more rewarding though.

Greenspot is a cracker and pretty much constantly available in Mitchels & Son and The Celtic Whiskey Shop. I think it's over 40 euro at this stage though in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

BeerNut wrote: »
    DrinkStore has it too, €44.95.

Only about 1000 bottles made a year. Hard enough to find IMO outside of mid/high end offies.

Can still get it down in Galway for around €36 :D

didn't realise greenspot was so expensive, must pick up a bottle when I get some cash! always some in harvest.

didn't realise greenspot was so expensive, must pick up a bottle when I get some cash! always some in harvest.

It went up in price recently, but it might come down again.

You can get small bottles now from Mitchells at the moment. Got a few tonight.

Brockagh wrote: »
    It went up in price recently, but it might come down again.

You can get small bottles now from Mitchells at the moment. Got a few tonight.

What size are the small Bottles ... ??? Interesting.

Harvest in Galway has always had it fairly cheap ... I was in the Oranmore branch and I think it was €33. :D

200ml.

I have one for you, if you want one. I bought two at the book launch the other day, but then was given a goody bag with another one in it on the way out...

They were made especially for some event, a once-off, I think they said.

Redbreast 15 year old it is. I picked it up at lunchtime and it's sitting under my desk, whispering to me to take a few sneaky nips out of it, nobody will know, etc...

If only the Mad Men / JR Ewing corporate philosophy still applied!

But I'll be strong, and wait until I get home.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will report back on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I think I might treat myself to the yamazaki for christmas anyone know where I can get it for a low price?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    200ml.

I have one for you, if you want one. I bought two at the book launch the other day, but then was given a goody bag with another one in it on the way out...

They were made especially for some event, a once-off, I think they said.

A naggin of greenspot. For the true connisieur of underage drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The whisky that has most caught my attention lately has been Bowmore 18YO.
    All the assertiveness of younger Bowmores but velvety smooth!

In a completely different style, I've also liked Knappogue Castle for its fineness and lightness.

• Advertisement

Advertisement