Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My LED TV smashed

Options
  • 04-10-2010 4:17pm

I bought a 40 inch Samsung LED TV in January. Paid alot for it. This TV has been my baby !!

Yesderday the TV was on and i was doing a few things in the room, i heard a Crack!! Suddenly the TV fell forward and literall flipped on the table that it was on and landed on the floor.

I was completely shocked , i wasnt near the TV at the time , it literally did this itself . It actually came away from the acrilic stand it was screwed into . I thought i might have gotten away with it and tried to clean the screen from some scratches .
    I mounted the TV back onto its stand but noticed that the screw's would no longer stay in. When i turned on the TV the damage was evident with a crack running right through the centre.

I am in complete shock by this . I am the type of person that gives out if somebody even touches the screen. So this was not due to negligence.

I contacted DID in which i bought it. They told me that they have never heard of this. But will contact Samsung. They Got back to me today saying Samsung need photographic evidence that this has happened. Not sure what i can send them ?? I can give them the TV so they can see for themselves.
    Anybody know what my next move would be for this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Photographic evidence of the crack in the supporting stand is I assume what they want, as that was the root cause (from your description).

You seem to be a careful owner, but if a fault is not obvious it may be hard to prove that you didn't knock the screen over - or even that the TV was not corrected attached to the stand using the supplied screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

If its the same TV as mine, and I think it is, they are very wobbly on the stand. Ive a feeing the screws at the back may have just broke throught the plastic.

Have a look around the net and see if its a known problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

That's odd, it must be a different stand to what I have... Mine has a very low centre of gravity and is quite sturdy.

Just found this .......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/samsung/forum?cdThread=Tx14UIG3TVNAKEJ

Seems to be a few people with the same problem. The stand itself shows no sign of a break. Just the screws tored out of it and pretty much catapulted the screws in the air. The TV landed about a meter from were it was standing. Im gutted .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In any case Op you can make a claim off your house insurance for the damage but you'll need your parish priest to deal with the poltergeist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Is there plastic in the screw threads?
    sign of torn threads in the mount?

Sounds like the manufacture are being reasonable enough about it.

Yeah , i have not had any problems with Samsung or DID yet. They do want photographic evidence though . I really dont think a photograph will show anything.
    I have offered them the TV though.

There is no plastic on the threads of the screws but there is dust on the post itself . The Screw's will no longer stay in the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say they'd want photos, as if it comes to them cracked via post, it could have been cracked enroute, esp as the TV is very big, and you may not still have the box.

I can send the pictures but they will not sho anything . They will just look like a TV and a stand. But they will not show were the problem is . If you see the TV up close you can see the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Surely those Amazon reviews should suffice as backup of it being a manufacturers fault?

• Advertisement

Im hoping so. Im still gutted about it. Hopfully they can repair it for me. I have emailed them the pictures, so i am hoping to hear back soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Im hoping so. Im still gutted about it. Hopfully they can repair it for me. I have emailed them the pictures, so i am hoping to hear back soon.

Go back to the first post and EDIT the subject to something like

"Samsung Model XPJxx29n-B LED TV Stand Design or Manufacturing Fault Locking Screws Pulled Through Plastic"

And post close up photos of the screwholes (with without screws) in that first post ( see attachments below) after the weight of the unit pulled the screws through this plastic that was not able to take the weight.

Make sure the pics are nice and small , not giant jpegs or nuthin

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

:eek:Jeesee Drey,sorry to hear this i have a 46" and am going to be more carefull when swiveling a different direction..........Dam!

(am already a little worried now about it falling off its stand:eek:)

I've got the 2008 model (LE40A686) and the stand is similar but visibly different.. Yours is thinner and taller and looks, at least, to be less sturdy. I'd say you could definitely have a case. They also appear to be around the same weight

Samsung-LE-40A686-40-Widescreen-1080P-Full-HD-LCD-TV-With-Freeview-0.jpg

vs

samsung-series-7-ue40b7020-lcd-hdtv.jpg

Its not that i want to have a case , i like Samsung , my other TV is samsung , i would just be disappointed in them if they didnt help me out with it .Im still waiting to find out whats happening .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Yeah , i have not had any problems with Samsung or DID yet. They do want photographic evidence though . I really dont think a photograph will show anything.

There is no plastic on the threads of the screws but there is dust on the post itself . The Screw's will no longer stay in the holes.

Maybe you should also emailing them a short video of trying to put the screws back in to show that there is more damage than may be evident in photos alone. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

i don't think you'll get much satisfaction from DID or from Samsung. They'll probably say you must have knocked the TV over by mistake.

I'd say best to contact your house insurer and try to make a claim there.

Slasher wrote: »
    i don't think you'll get much satisfaction from DID or from Samsung. They'll probably say you must have knocked the TV over by mistake.

I can't agree with this.

A TV like this shouldn't be able to be knocked over easily. As I already said, the model I have is extremely sturdy and has a very low centre of gravity and is virtually impossible to knock over without lunging at it or pulling it from the top with some force. If I bought another of the same size and weight, I would expect the same sturdiness etc.

This is obviously the result of a design fault in the newer model and I wouldn't go for anything less than a replacement from DID or Samsung but with an alternate stand if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Any update on this OP?

The screws that came out, are they something you had to screw in when installing the TV in the first place? If yes, the danger is that Samsung might say that you overtightened them and stripped the threads. Really bad design though if they're fully plastic on such a large and heavy screen. Should be a metal plate inside there with metal nuts welded to it to receive the screws.

Sounds like a cost-cutting measure to me if it is. Have seen a slew of relatively cheap Samsung TVs in recent months, I wonder they're all made to the same standard.

Did DID set it up for you in your home perhaps? Could blame them for stripping the threads if they did and you get no joy from any other avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

polyfusion wrote: »
    Any update on this OP?

Sounds like a cost-cutting measure to me if it is. Have seen a slew of relatively cheap Samsung TVs in recent months, I wonder they're all made to the same standard.

+1
    Worked in Dixons a few years ago, and Samsung's were always well made.
    Recently started working for an independent electrical retailer after a period in another industry and the new crop of Samsung's seem to have very flimsy stands. They're probably assuming that most people now wall mount and chuck the stand in a corner never to be used again.

OP when you go to DID to sort it out, take printouts of the various threads, reviews etc. on the net that describe the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i too was going to in with the over tightening explanation. I reckon you threade them when putting then on and weakened the plastic. Not your fault. Just bad design. If you have the manual see if it mentions anything about tightening the screws. If not then they can't put the blame back on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

It sounds like samsung are aware of a problem with this particular model's stand. How old is the TV?. Under the "Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980" DID have a responsibility to you. They are obliged to provide goods that are of a merchantable quality, therefore, fit for purpose, as described, and as durable as is reasonable to expect. A TV that can't stand up on it's own stand doesn't seem to fit that description.

At the end of the day, your contract is with DID, so if samsung don't play ball with you on this, it is up to DID to repare, replace or refund you for your TV. (Providing it is not to old) Another point is, the TV does not have to be under the manufacturers warranty to be covered by the "sale of goods act", which is something a retailer often uses as an excuse to do nothing for you.

Edit: sorry should have read the OP properly re: age of TV, DID should sort this out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Did DID set it up for you in your home perhaps? Could blame them for stripping the threads if they did and you get no joy from any other avenue.

Disgraceful advice. Trying blame somebody else without any evidence whatsoever, you should withdraw/re-phrase that advice.

Advertisement