Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband Option Sandycove / Dun Laoghaire

• 04-10-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All

I'm looking for my best option for broadband in the Sandycove/ Dun Laoghaire area. Unfortunately UPC will not service my address (we were with them previously). I do not have a top of the range machine, but a laptop (not a net book) and intend to purchase a wetab; I also have an xbox 360 and do use xbox live. I was used to unlimited downloads and a 15mb line. I do transfer and download a lot of files, due to a hobby.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

UPC bb could be available in your area by the end of 2010.
    http://www.upc.ie/media/2010/1/20/map_dublin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Upc started laying lines in Sandycove about 5 months ago.
    The usual signs and false promises of BB being available in 3 months but still no sign of it.
    Eircom is your only option really

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

Hmm that map looks awful vague, as we were previously a customer of UPC broadband in Monkstown, which doesn't seem to have coverage. It was a great service, which we were happy with.

I don't think in good conscience use eircom who "monitor or block subscriber traffic based on allegations of a private body."

But I will need to give them money for line rental if I have to go with another ISP. I was looking a Magnet, anyone have any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

UPC is available in Sandycove. I live there and recently went from Eircom 7mb line to UPC 30mb line with tv and phone. I live near the spar

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

I'm off the Glasthule road from Dun Laoghaire. My adress is however sandycove. From the map provided above I should be in Glenagery, tis all very confusing. Anyway I've spoken to UPCs house move people and they have said no service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ugly_Child wrote: »
    Anyway I've spoken to UPCs house move people and they have said no service.

That pretty much ends that option then, and you'll have no way to know when (if) it would be available. Next best options are probably DSL from Magnet or Smart, again availability is the issue. Digiweb Metro wireless would be another good option, but the cap will be low when compared to Magnet, Smart and UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

redman85 wrote: »
    UPC is available in Sandycove. I live there and recently went from Eircom 7mb line to UPC 30mb line with tv and phone. I live near the spar
    I live in Dundela Haven and can't get it:confused:

Advertisement