Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 archyrich

chances are they thought they were signing up to get a discount from their current supplier. you need a correct current bank account number and sort code to process the sale. a few people do turn around during the sale and say wait.. were doing this today? esp when it comes to the bank details. why would you give somebody your bank details when youre just signing up to "get more information"?

im sure there might be an isolated case or two but if youre talking about a few hundred customers then theres no way that thats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sendit wrote: »
    The moderators see what they want too see and nothing ealse.....

If you have a problem with a post or a poster, use the Report button (small triangle in the left-hand column beside the post).

We don't even pretend to read all the threads on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

dudara wrote: »
    @archyrich - if you look under Delancey's name, you will see that they are a moderator of the PSNI Recruitment forum. They are not a moderator of the Work & Jobs forum, and therefore are no different to any other poster here.

dudara

He still made a clame without getting the facts right. As he says ''apparently''. I also find it interesting that the comment he made saying that someone ealse brought Airtricity into it is deleted. I wounder why that is? Could it maybe be because there the one who said Airtricity?

''The energy regulator here has also had complaints about people being moved over to airtricity without their consent - apparently all an unscrupulous rep has to do it get the number off your meter ( easy to do on a modern house with meters outside ) and fill in a form purporting to be from the customer and bingo ! - the ' customer ' has been signed up and the first they know is when they get a bill from the new supplier.''

JustMary wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a post or a poster, use the Report button (small triangle in the left-hand column beside the post).

We don't even pretend to read all the threads on here.

I already did but clearly nothing was done about it if your saying to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I already did but clearly nothing was done about it if your saying to do it again

Perhaps your complaint was read, and based on assessment, no action was required.

If you have a persistent problem with moderators and moderating, then please use the Feedback forum, rather than adding to the noise here.

dudara

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Perhaps your complaint was read, and based on assessment, no action was required.

If you have a persistent problem with moderators and moderating, then please use the Feedback forum, rather than adding to the noise here.

dudara

I already did and nothing was done eather just moderators sticking up for each other

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I already did and nothing was done eather just moderators sticking up for each other

For everyone's information, sendit is taking a short holiday from this forum.

I hope he does come back, because he's made some useful posts in this thread, at least. But arguing on forum with a moderator isn't on.

If you disagree with what a moderator has done, use the Disputes Resolution forum and process - found here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397 Don't complain about it elsewhere.

Do NOT argue with mods on thread, or you too will go on "Garden Leave" from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i agree with delancey,

i have seen it with my own three eyes on a couple of occasoions where by the facts were held from the "target" until the last min, things like the account has to be paid direct debit. we had a good few "targets" who were told all along that the bills didnt have to be paid direct debit up until they had actual given bank details and then asked why they needed to give them only to be told the bills were direct debit and you could use a little card to top up payments.

we had a few people who changed thier mind at last min as they didnt like the whole cloak and dagger approach to getting information. the account was still registered by the rep.

i also agree with sendit and the arch guy that not all reps do it, and to say so is a bit bad. still i hate these companies and would like to see them taken apart.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hi

I got a call for an interview this week? But Im reading everywhere its commission based?! I dont like or want to do door to door crap?

I suppose I should of known about it but I threw CVs everywhere on jobs.ie so.... wasnt banking on it.....

Anyone work for them before???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BlubberyGiraffe

Just got a call off them for an interview. Thanks guys, because I would have gone there and done the interview. Seems like a giant waste of time.

I had an interview scheduled with Impala Direct LTD. Cancelled it after calling up a friend who works in Obair and she said its a scam.

The job is 100% commission based. She was saying one of the guys was working selling make up in the Illac Centre. Sounds like a nightmare.

I am glad I am not alone and had a chance to sift through the comments giving feedback. Regardless of how I feel now, I felt really dodgy when I checked the job application on jobs.ie and didnt see one detail about the job description.

Had more of these bloody direct marketers call to the house last night from UPC. lad called to the door asking if i had a telly contract. i do and it is with UPC. when told of this he acted paniced for a min then tried to sell me phone and broadband.

i rang UPC after this and told them if they cannot give these marketers simple info like who actually has thier product what are they doing sending them out to estates at half eight at night. then the lady on the phone asked if i wanted internent and phone!!!!

why in gods name are companies going like this, constantly selling you rubbish. if i wanted it i would ring you up and ask. and sending guys to my door is just not on, these lads are very rude and get annoyed easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This your only hope I'm afraid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-DOOR-SIGNS-NO-LEAFLETS-CANVASSERS-SALESPEOPLE-etc-/360225819214

The main thing is.... it works!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I was due to have an interview this afternoon at around 2pm. I got all excited about it yesterday; bought myself a new €300 suit and everything. Then this morning I started reading this thread and realised what a waste of time these door-to-door commission based sales jobs are, so I cancelled the interview. On the plus side, I have a nice new suit to wear for a future interview.

I was due to have an interview this afternoon at around 2pm. I got all excited about it yesterday; bought myself a new €300 suit and everything. Then this morning I started reading this thread and realised what a waste of time these door-to-door commission based sales jobs are, so I cancelled the interview. On the plus side, I have a nice new suit to wear for a future interview.

It wasnt by chance the same crowd I was going for one with, Impala Direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It wasnt by chance the same crowd I was going for one with, Impala Direct?

No, it was Flogas Natural Gas. It was solely commissions based. They wanted me to go around and try to get people to switch from Bord Gáis.

No, it was Flogas Natural Gas. It was solely commissions based. They wanted me to go around and try to get people to switch from Bord Gáis.

Yeah the one I was going for was 100% commission based too. I was gutted but better off, those door to door jobs are soul crushing. Havent met a single person who said they enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I note with interest the decision today in the UK by British Gas to terminate door step sales with immediate effect.
    It seems the British regulator has launched a major investigation into the whole area of door to door energy sales and it looks that heavy fines are imminent - wish the Irish regulator would do the same here.
    Apparently 40% of people signing up on the doorstep in the UK are actually getting worse deals than what they already have plus there is a blizzard of complaints about unethical behaviour by sales people......how profoundly shocking ( not ) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tippsaver

i wouldnt trust door to door sales poeple in general but i do find there are the few who are genuine. But i have found in my own experience that the reps are sometimes lied to about what they can offer so they continue on selling a certain rate and then the customer is put on a different rate. The rep is blamed fired and the cycle starts again

• Advertisement

<snip>

Hey lad,

has the same problem myself. i actually did a bit of work before for PMD but left cause it was rubbish. i, much to my own being stuck for work, went for an interview with MkM which promised a completly different job. can you imagine my surprise when i met sean again in the same office, with the same suit on as before!!!!!! he didnt know who i was and kept on talking. i just sat there for a few mins leaving him go on.

i then told him my past and he just looked funny. he is also on this site and goes by the name ladder, in case you get a post by him, and was cought out by the mods before for pretending to be an ordinary punter. god that place was fun to work for, with the morning rituals and the kiss and kill method. what a load of rubbish, i wonder is he much closer to his 5million yaught yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is the last time I'm going to say this.

If people continue to use libellous terms to describe businesses, then we'll have no choice but to immediately delete all threads.

There's no problem with discussing them, just be careful of the language you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

allibastor wrote: »
    <snip>

Hey lad,

has the same problem myself. i actually did a bit of work before for PMD but left cause it was rubbish. i, much to my own being stuck for work, went for an interview with MkM which promised a completly different job. can you imagine my surprise when i met sean again in the same office, with the same suit on as before!!!!!! he didnt know who i was and kept on talking. i just sat there for a few mins leaving him go on.

i then told him my past and he just looked funny. he is also on this site and goes by the name ladder, in case you get a post by him, and was cought out by the mods before for pretending to be an ordinary punter. god that place was fun to work for, with the morning rituals and the kiss and kill method. what a load of rubbish, i wonder is he much closer to his 5million yaught yet.
    Originally Posted by allibastor
    MkM MArketing, Ladder, sean, what ever you want to call yourself.

You really should have a read back over some of your earlier posts, you have been cought out each and every time. i do agree that in this thread you are trying to be more honest, but as someone who has worked in PMD before you do fill people with a lot of sh1t. if you earned well over 100k a year, how coem you were never able to pick up the friday breakfast tab?

also even business to business sales require going from door to door, why dont you say that instead of business to business? also you should highlight that all expenses have to come from the operative and that you also offer very little in the way of helping with income tax allocation and have no way to show a worker how much tax they should pay, just tell them to get an accountant, which you should have as a credible employer.

i have also noted you avoid any direct answers to my questions in the thread and try to defend your company webpage.

also, yes moyross is a hole in the ground, but limerick on general isnt too bad

cheers.
    Quote:
    Hi All,

I just wanted to write in an explain about a company called MkM Direct. i have read the previous threads about them and must agree totally. i had gone for an interview with PMD marketing around a year or so ago. needless to say it didnt go very far.

i had looked into MkM marketing before any threads were posted and went in just to Drop a CV in. Funny that the same guy who ran PMD is also running this place from the exact same office, wearing the same suit he had on last year. he didnt remember me and asked if i wanted a chat as i was there so i said ok for the hell of it.

what a load of non-sense, it was the exact same speil as last time, when i said i was on the dole and asked what to do about comming off it i was told that as i would be down as self employed he had no concern about if i came off it or not. what kind of employer would neglect to say that you must come off the dole???

anyway i just wanted to put the word out there, the website make look nice and official but it is the EXACT same company as before, even has a few familiar faces in the office who are still doing the same job a year later, even though we were told we should be running an office inside a year.

thanks all
    Quote:
    Tis a true post, if these companies were so proud of how they do business why do they hide behind lies and promises. company owners telling you how they earn well over a hundred grand or more a year.

another dodgy company is XL marketing from kilkenny. i have had loads of people from this call to my door looking to sell airtricity, even though i had signed up a year ago. they just seem to decend on an estate an call to everyone, i must get 3 calls a month. if they were such a professional company surely they should have a data monitoring system which would show exisiting customers at the least.

thanks
    Quote:
    Hi Guys, and especially scooby.

i have also had experiance both working for these types of companies and seeing how they operate. when i did my interviews you were told half truths,and a good few lies. yes there were upfront about the fact you would be on commision, but as to how that works eg tax and welfare and such you were not told at any stage. also the commisions only works if the entire sale goes through, a customer can still cancel and order days after and you get nothing for your trouble.
    there is also a lot of information left unanswered in when you are given your product. you could not leave any info with customers or could not give any factual answers as you are told to avoid them with side leading questions and very hard line sales designed to really push consumers.

also from the other side of the fence we have employed in my current role a direct marketing company for a product launch, but removed them very quickley due to complaints from customers. these mainly centered on very young and in-experianced staff who knew little to nothing about the product and were very evasive to answering questions. there were other issues regarding employee insurance and tax that i will not go into.

all in all some companies may have genuine jobs, and listen up scooby, but they do hide a lot of information from you in the hopes that you will come on board with half notions of what to expect and how much you can earn. many people who said they would make 500+ a week were often signing on and were always asking for petrol money etc fro the new commers.

regards
    Quote:
    hi MkM direct, or ladder as you are also know.

you do realsie that i doubt you have ever had anyone who has actually failed the first round interview. as said above would it not be better to advertise the precise role from the outset? surely that would make more sense than bringing people into an office and talking about how managers can be made in 6 months and earn over 100k? it is well knwo that the only way to make a manager is to have a city which has a large enough population to credit a door to door marketing team. alos why dont you name clients? it would seem that only airtricity seem to employ companies like you.

to GOK-blue, if you read previous threads about PMD marketing and MkM marketing you will this user, also called ladder was exposed as a down and out lie in his posts, trying to deny he had ever worked for PMD and didnt know why he was listed with the same number, its the same guy who runs both. so all in all unless you have rich parents or a partner who can support you while you work 10-12 hours a day six days a week or are willing to live a very meager existance look somewhere else.

cheers.

Can you please make up your mind for the benifit of all posters, you say you did work there, then you didnt work there, you had an interview then you dropped a cv in.
    If you had worked in my office and left and came back for another interview with me, im pretty sure i would have remembered you, as for me wearing the same suit all i can say is, i like most other normal people wear a suit more than once and if it was the case that you did come in the second time, even though i highly doubt you would have remembered what suit i was wearing, as you seem a little confused and misinforming with your posts, i would have told you it was exactly the same as it was before, the only things that change for us in this business is the clients.
    so my suggestion to you is if you are going to post comments about my company on this thread just make sure you have some information that is actually worth sharing instead of wasting peoples time who have to filter through posts like yours to read actual and factual posts which are true and worth reading.
    As the owner of MkM Direct i would like to apologise to the REAL posters on this thread who have taken the time to share their experiences and inform all of the positives and negitives of this industry.
    Thanks

Not really,

Post have been consistant. worked for you when it was PMD. Brought in CV for MkM. HAd a chat with you and didnt take job offer. Whats to not understand.

If you have a problem beleiving that i worked there i could PM you with some of the names of staff i Had worked with.

and no, with the high staff turnover you have i doubt you remember most people for long since you only see them for a bit in the morning, most job training, as you say, is out in the field.

also if it is such a good company, why do you have numerous posts here about your particular company, not just from me.?

you should realise at some stage that trying to defend yourself when still posting totally bogus jobs adverts doesnt help either. look at all the different job adverts you have placed on job.ie in the last few months. all with different names or roles, but all the same i am sure.

Not really,

Post have been consistant. worked for you when it was PMD. Brought in CV for MkM. HAd a chat with you and didnt take job offer. Whats to not understand.

Quote:
    Hi All,

I just wanted to write in an explain about a company called MkM Direct. i have read the previous threads about them and must agree totally. i had gone for an interview with PMD marketing around a year or so ago. needless to say it didnt go very far.

i had looked into MkM marketing before any threads were posted and went in just to Drop a CV in.

thanks all

to be fair about it you talk about pmd marketing, which was not my company you did not work for MkM Direct, i was the manager of PMD Marketing but someone else was Managing Director at PMD, and you say you had an interview for PMD but it didnt go far, then you say you worked there, then you say you dropped in a CV, not very likely that you would have had an interview as we keep a data base of all past applicants and independant sales agents, of which we do not re contact, if you want to keep lying about my company feel free, but you did not have any dealings with MkM Direct Ltd.
    As in all my posts on this thread i am up-front about what my company does, it is driect sales, commission only, which is always made clear to every single person that has an interview.

Sorry if my post was a small bit hard to understand, my career in PMD never went far. i was working there for a while, got 2 sales in that time, both of which were cancelled by customer at last min.

i can give you my full name if required to check.

i went into MkM after dropping in CV. Met you. didnt take job. though to be fair to you i had lost about 2 stone since working for PMD. maybe not that easy to regocnise?

mate, there are no lies about it, you, your comapny, the whole way your business works has been highlighted by both previous staff of your company and similar companies. if it was such a respectable method of business why are they thinking of shutting it down oin the U.K., with Ireland soon to follow no doubt. why have you such a huge staff turnover?
    why do people, besides me, take time to write a post about your company in specific?

also, why dont you keep in contact with any previous sales staff? that was an interesteing comment.

also in PMD i do remember you saying you were the manager, but that the manager owned the company, you had to move to a new region, set up shop in your living room etc. Might be a bit different now to be fair, but as i recall once you made manager you got to open your own office somewhere else and it was effectivly your company. please correct me if i am wrong, not sure how the inner working operate so i will leave it to your knowledge.

Junior sales and management opportunity

We are looking for a Junior Marketing Rep who is able to fit in to a close knit company of dedicated people, maintaining a strong work ethic whilst having fun!
    MkM Direct Ltd is a leading direct marketing company, with a proven record of being on the cutting edge of what our consumers need. At MkM Direct, our focus is on using innovative marketing strategies to create and build a name for our clients.
    Our success has been a direct result of our ability to reach the people. When it comes to growing our business, it begins with the individuals that represent our clients. Rather than demographically targeting markets, we research those areas where our clients lack exposure. Our goal is to saturate those markets, building on the existing client base.
    We have an opportunity open for career minded men and women that are looking for unlimited potential. Our clients are both Nationally and Internationally renowned, and we need people that can bridge the gap between our clients and their consumers by meeting people on a face to face level. While the initial role would be heavily sales based, we are looking for candidate who can begin at the entry level and work towards a leadership and management role in the future.
    Previous experience in customer service, sales, telesales, or management will be considered an asset, but, as our clients require training to be provided, all backgrounds and experience levels will be considered.

Successful applicants will be contacted within a few days to schedule an interview with management, and be screened for our full interview process.

Location Dublin / LimerickPaymentDiscussed on InterviewCategorySales - Up to €35k, Managers / Supervisors, Marketing / Market Research.TermsPermanent, Full-timeLast updated15/08/2011

Could you also point out here where it says what you will be doing in the role? or also where it says it is commision based. also you have three different jobs advertised with three different roles specified and three different job specs. have you actually got three DISTINCT roles to offer or are they all the same.

before you say someone is lying make sure you read what they say, unlike yourself who was cought out by the mods before about saying you had nothing to do with PMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frecklesgalore

I won a pretty good competition run by MKM direct. The prize was never received despite numerous attempts to attain what I was owed whilst there.

Funny thing is, when I won another competition with the electricity company that we represented, I received my prize the minute my name was drawn from the hat.

We are looking for a Junior Marketing Rep who is able to fit in to a close knit company of dedicated people, maintaining a strong work ethic whilst having fun!
    MkM Direct Ltd is a leading direct marketing company, with a proven record of being on the cutting edge of what our consumers need. At MkM Direct, our focus is on using innovative marketing strategies to create and build a name for our clients.
    Our success has been a direct result of our ability to reach the people. When it comes to growing our business, it begins with the individuals that represent our clients. Rather than demographically targeting markets, we research those areas where our clients lack exposure. Our goal is to saturate those markets, building on the existing client base.
    We have an opportunity open for career minded men and women that are looking for unlimited potential. Our clients are both Nationally and Internationally renowned, and we need people that can bridge the gap between our clients and their consumers by meeting people on a face to face level. While the initial role would be heavily sales based, we are looking for candidate who can begin at the entry level and work towards a leadership and management role in the future.
    Previous experience in customer service, sales, telesales, or management will be considered an asset, but, as our clients require training to be provided, all backgrounds and experience levels will be considered.

Successful applicants will be contacted within a few days to schedule an interview with management, and be screened for our full interview process.

Location Dublin / LimerickPaymentDiscussed on InterviewCategorySales - Up to €35k, Managers / Supervisors, Marketing / Market Research.TermsPermanent, Full-timeLast updated15/08/2011

Could you also point out here where it says what you will be doing in the role? or also where it says it is commision based. also you have three different jobs advertised with three different roles specified and three different job specs. have you actually got three DISTINCT roles to offer or are they all the same.

please see highlighted portion of the job ad
    Number 1. We work with more than 1 client, hense 3 different types of ad, (client requirements) for 3 different Divisions B2B, Events and Res D2D.

Number 2. all of the job ads say it is direct sales, face to face, or field sales sepending on the divison we are working with.

Number 3. Were you made aware that it was a commission only role during the interview stages before you were offered an opportunity with the company.

I have said this before i have no problem answering questions but i will not answer questions that are asked in an aggrissive manner or engauge in conflict conversations, if you have something constructive to say then say it, all you are doing on this thread is showing that you have a personal vendetta against me personaly.

• Advertisement

Sorry if you feel its a personal vendetta against you, its not, its the whole business your in.

i was more asking about why you have three different job roles for the different jobs. if they are all direct sales, with all people having to come in at entry level and progress through the ranks as you say, how do you have three different job titles, Jnr sales and marketing manager, full time promotions staff and sales and marketing rep. all of these would indicate a particular role, but you then state that each job starts at entry level and has to progress the same. surley that would mean they are all the same job then.

also face to face sales is different from cold calling, which is what people end up doing. face to face would be where you have a scheduled meeting with a client and meet them in person. does this reflect what your staff do or is it more on the cold calling side.?

i will give you the point that yes i was made aware it was commisions only. but this was after the initial interview. this should be made clear before you get people in to interview as many would not bother going. but as said i will give you that, once the interview was underway you did say it was commision only, until you reached assistant manager.

and i was not asking questions in an aggressive manner, just pointing out consistancy in my posts, which you may have interpreted incorrectly. i suppose i will post more articulatly next time. :)

Advertisement