Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BlubberyGiraffe

Im trying to keep up with this but its very confusing. Someone needs to learn how to bleedin quote right. What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

allibastor wrote: »
    Sorry if you feel its a personal vendetta against you, its not, its the whole business your in.

i was more asking about why you have three different job roles for the different jobs. if they are all direct sales, with all people having to come in at entry level and progress through the ranks as you say, how do you have three different job titles, Jnr sales and marketing manager, full time promotions staff and sales and marketing rep. all of these would indicate a particular role, but you then state that each job starts at entry level and has to progress the same. surley that would mean they are all the same job then.

also face to face sales is different from cold calling, which is what people end up doing. face to face would be where you have a scheduled meeting with a client and meet them in person. does this reflect what your staff do or is it more on the cold calling side.?

i will give you the point that yes i was made aware it was commisions only. but this was after the initial interview. this should be made clear before you get people in to interview as many would not bother going. but as said i will give you that, once the interview was underway you did say it was commision only, until you reached assistant manager.

and i was not asking questions in an aggressive manner, just pointing out consistancy in my posts, which you may have interpreted incorrectly. i suppose i will post more articulatly next time. :)

To answer the questions there are 3 types of campaigns, events which is in shopping centers etc, which is face to face, Buiness to Business which is both lead generated from the client and lead appointment generated from the Agent, you could call it field sales or face to face, and then good old fashioned D2D which is cold calling field sales, because i run all 3 i have to have 3 different types of ad, which determines which campaign a person is looking to work in or determines the exact role.

When you worked in the office we worked in 1 division D2D, and yes everyone gets the same sort of progression opportunity, but the divisions are different, and the people we look for in the divisions are different, also when you were in the office aprox 2 years ago i was manager of the office running it for someone else, and i was new to the industry, so only did what i was insrtucted to do, i am now MD, big difference, every decision that is made is made by me, good and bad, so i run my company very differently to others as i am striving to make changes in the industry.
    I am also going to point out that there are very few people who comment about MkM simply because i am open about what it is that we do exactly.
    I am also going to point out that i am the only owner that posts on these threads, and i do it openly and listen to and exchange comments based on the experiences of others so i can run my comapny differently.
    Hope that answeres your question.

I won a pretty good competition run by MKM direct. The prize was never received despite numerous attempts to attain what I was owed whilst there.

Funny thing is, when I won another competition with the electricity company that we represented, I received my prize the minute my name was drawn from the hat.

that prize is still there for you by the way !!
    i just didnt have your new contact details, call me about it and we will get it sorted.
    P.S you know why it was delayed at the time, you moved to the uk, and then it was only valid for the off peak travel times i did explain.
    hope all is well by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

ladder wrote: »
    To answer the questions there are 3 types of campaigns, events which is in shopping centers etc, which is face to face, Buiness to Business which is both lead generated from the client and lead appointment generated from the Agent, you could call it field sales or face to face, and then good old fashioned D2D which is cold calling field sales, because i run all 3 i have to have 3 different types of ad, which determines which campaign a person is looking to work in or determines the exact role.

When you worked in the office we worked in 1 division D2D, and yes everyone gets the same sort of progression opportunity, but the divisions are different, and the people we look for in the divisions are different, also when you were in the office aprox 2 years ago i was manager of the office running it for someone else, and i was new to the industry, so only did what i was insrtucted to do, i am now MD, big difference, every decision that is made is made by me, good and bad, so i run my company very differently to others as i am striving to make changes in the industry.
    I am also going to point out that there are very few people who comment about MkM simply because i am open about what it is that we do exactly.
    I am also going to point out that i am the only owner that posts on these threads, and i do it openly and listen to and exchange comments based on the experiences of others so i can run my comapny differently.
    Hope that answeres your question.

I do Hope there are three differnt types of roles. i just find it suspicious that all jobs require the same entry level requirement and will more than likely require the same team building that the normal door to door requires. correct me if i am wrong.

i will also give you the benifit here that as you say you are trying to change the industry. i sincerly hope you do as it has been plunged into a very bad name by very un-professional people with very poor standards in how to conduct business.

despite what you may say that there is a vendetta, if you genuinly are trying to improve the working conditions of staff etc,and are activly trying to make a better business case, ie, not calling on existing customers, which is VERY annoying. then i wish you success.

also just to point out when i was there it was b2b and d2d, both of which required un-solicitated cold calling, which was very annoying to the customer.

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that cold calling and tele marketers are the biggest pains in the arse.

• Advertisement

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that cold calling and tele marketers are the biggest pains in the arse.

Yeah, especially when you already subscribe to the service. have been with airtricity for over a year now yet every 2 weeks or so someone calls to the house, maybe more. its very annoying they dont have some form or register to say who has what. also upc call a lot, when you say you have it they then try and sell you calls packages.

though its not as bad as when the rep doesnt know what they are trying to sell. had a girl from a marketing company, dont want to name names in case a vendetta question pops up, who didnt know there was a standing charge on airtricity. i actually had to point it out to her on the pricing sheet. i wonder how many people bought off her thinking they didnt have to pay standing charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

One of the biggest disincentives to getting a land line is the fact that it just acts as a magnet to telemarketers :)

Delancey wrote: »
    One of the biggest disincentives to getting a land line is the fact that it just acts as a magnet to telemarketers :)

Haha very true.

I generally use them as a way of venting frustration. Had one of them gob****es from "microsoft" telling me I had a virus on my computer and she could remove it for 80 euro... so I had a field day with her until she hung up!

its not just a landline they get you on anymore, ive had calls to my mobile pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks.
    point being i got a call from an electricity company the other day (telesales)
    but this is a door to door thread so........heres what im going to say
    As for the calling by the electricity companies they have a pda now that tells them who you are with, if your an exsisting customer for electricity, it tells them if you are a gas customer not exsisting, if you are exsisting for electricity and not gas it comes up as a call and also if you are entitled to a new deal if you are a customer, it will also tell them on the pda to call if you are exsisting for both as they have a service pack they can sell/offer as well, i would like to point out that this is a directive from the companies we represent.

allibastor wrote: »
    Yeah, especially when you already subscribe to the service. have been with airtricity for over a year now yet every 2 weeks or so someone calls to the house, maybe more. its very annoying they dont have some form or register to say who has what. also upc call a lot, when you say you have it they then try and sell you calls packages.

though its not as bad as when the rep doesnt know what they are trying to sell. had a girl from a marketing company, dont want to name names in case a vendetta question pops up, who didnt know there was a standing charge on airtricity. i actually had to point it out to her on the pricing sheet. i wonder how many people bought off her thinking they didnt have to pay standing charges.

i agree with you it is annoying to have people calling every 2 weeks or so, but its not the fault of the lads calling to the doors, its a directive from the electricity company, calls comes up on the Agents PDA it tells them its a call or not, but i will admit it sometimes is not updated properly, not 100% about that client anymore as i dont deal with that campaign directly my self.
    also you dont live in limerick anymore ?? noticed from one of your posts, the area you were saying you live in is worked by a different company, not anything to do with MkM. i cant name the company either, but for arguement sake you could say it was an independant company that is close to the electricity company.

• Advertisement

i agree with you it is annoying to have people calling every 2 weeks or so, but its not the fault of the lads calling to the doors, its a directive from the electricity company, calls comes up on the Agents PDA it tells them its a call or not, but i will admit it sometimes is not updated properly, not 100% about that client anymore as i dont deal with that campaign directly my self.
    also you dont live in limerick anymore ?? noticed from one of your posts, the area you were saying you live in is worked by a different company, not anything to do with MkM. i cant name the company either, but for arguement sake you could say it was an independant company that is close to the electricity company.

Hi,

No dont live in limerick anymore, still have a residence down there though. and this girl was from said company, young girl, about 20, from Galway i think, not sure though. as said the girl was trying to tell me that no standing charge was applied to the Airtricity charges. i had to point it out to her that on the priceing sheet it is there, its is also more than the charges from other companies.

and yes in my new place where i live we get lads calling all the time, the onyl lads i have seen with these PDA's are guys who are direct with airtricity, the rest dont seem to have it, as i get a called around 2-3 a month just with airtricity. this company comes from kilkenny so not sure if you know them, i would sy so though.
    again if you are looking to make better use of the business model you have, a good exercise would be to ensure that these lists are updated on a very regular basis to ensure that people are no multi called. just a pointer. you could also do a spread sheet on your own calls to areas just to keep updated. you would be surprised how well it works, i left one of these there when i worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I like how the door to door managers dont tell you that there are call centres full with people ringing people. Only difference is the call centre people have leads, they know there name and what company and plan they client is with. The people that run the D2D companies are IMO scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frecklesgalore

that prize is still there for you by the way !!
    i just didnt have your new contact details, call me about it and we will get it sorted.
    P.S you know why it was delayed at the time, you moved to the uk, and then it was only valid for the off peak travel times i did explain.
    hope all is well by the way.

Can I just point out to all boards.ie readers that I provided my personal details to Ladder last Saturday, as they haven't changed, and he is aware that I no longer live in the UK as I visited him in his office on numerous occassions seeking what is owed to me. I'm still waiting for the call Ladder - and like I said, I will post here reciprication of the prize when you have shown for once and all that you are a man of your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you just settle it between yourselves offline - it's got very little to do with work/jobs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Eoin wrote: »

If people continue to use libellous terms to describe businesses, then we'll have no choice but to immediately delete all threads.

There's no problem with discussing them, just be careful of the language you use.

last post deleted - please read above, before this thread has to be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

Guys I just want to thank you so much. Seems like I have had a lucky escape.

Joyce88 wrote: »
    Guys I just want to thank you so much. Seems like I have had a lucky escape.

Delighted to learn you were saved from a life of penance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Haha very true.

I generally use them as a way of venting frustration. Had one of them gob****es from "microsoft" telling me I had a virus on my computer and she could remove it for 80 euro... so I had a field day with her until she hung up!

That's not telemarketing that's an actual scam.

I've had to cold call people in the past. It's not the most enjoyable job but it pays the rent and honestly people that "vent" they're frustration at people on the phone instead of just hanging up or saying a polite no usually are not very nice people.

I'm going to presume that you've never held a job where a client or member of the public has vented at you for something that wasn't your fault or over something that was completely out of your control.

Only a disgusting person would belittle and waste their own time belittleing someone over the phone who's only trying to do their job.

It's even worse at the moment when you have highly educated and intelligent people who can only get jobs in cold calling/telemarketing areas due to the down turn and they are being abused over the phone by people with anger issues and what seem like intellectual disabilities.

wild_cat wrote: »
    That's not telemarketing that's an actual scam.

I've had to cold call people in the past. It's not the most enjoyable job but it pays the rent and honestly people that "vent" they're frustration at people on the phone instead of just hanging up or saying a polite no usually are not very nice people.

I'm going to presume that you've never held a job where a client or member of the public has vented at you for something that wasn't your fault or over something that was completely out of your control.

Only a disgusting person would belittle and waste their own time belittleing someone over the phone who's only trying to do their job.

It's even worse at the moment when you have highly educated and intelligent people who can only get jobs in cold calling/telemarketing areas due to the down turn and they are being abused over the phone by people with anger issues and what seem like intellectual disabilities.

And you're basing your assumption of me on an encounter with someone who was trying to rob me of 80 euro by lying to me? Thats not me dealing with a cold call, son... thats me dealing with an absolute asshat and you better believe I will share my opinion with that person. I truly couldnt care less if she was on a wage or it was her job, it was her job to scam me and it didnt work.

I have worked in retail most of my life and I know exactly how it feels to be screamed at when something is wrong and absolutely none of the responsibility belongs to you. I've been there for the christmas rush when everyone wants everything their way.. so dont lecture me on the appropriate way to behave. When someone cold calls me, I simply say no thanks. When someone tries to rob me of 80 euro because they're scamming me and trying to rip me off.... I will absolutely eat their head off for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Has anyone noticed a lot of these jobs now have commission only in the advert?

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed a lot of these jobs now have commission only in the advert?

For the one I applied to I actually sent in a complaint to the ASAI about the company because of how they advertised the job, putting down an average wage of between 400 - 700 a month despite the fact that it was totally commission based. I imagine many others have done the same tbh.

For the one I applied to I actually sent in a complaint to the ASAI about the company because of how they advertised the job, putting down an average wage of between 400 - 700 a month despite the fact that it was totally commission based. I imagine many others have done the same tbh.

What did the ASAI say ? I know that complaints to the likes of Jobs.ie are a waste of time.

What did the ASAI say ? I know that complaints to the likes of Jobs.ie are a waste of time.

They sent me a letter telling me I won the dispute and that the company had to change its advertisement. They told me I was completely right and they sent me a copy of the letter they sent them, it was pretty funny... they pretty much ripped the company to shreds stating how they were unethical and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

They sent me a letter telling me I won the dispute and that the company had to change its advertisement. They told me I was completely right and they sent me a copy of the letter they sent them, it was pretty funny... they pretty much ripped the company to shreds stating how they were unethical and so forth.

Fair play for following it up with a complaint.
    The only problem is that every time a complaint is received the company just changes their ad slightly and its a 'new' ad. This is why they keep changing the wording ever so slightly. I know others have also complained, ad taken down and within a week another similar ad put up in its place.

We all need to complain really...it's apathy that is the biggest enemy here when dealing with these lads. I'll put my hands up to it myself - my hubby applied to one of these and quickly realised what was going on. We intended to write a letter, but when looking for a job is your main focus and where you place your energy, its understandable when people don't follow up.
    Fair play to you for not letting it go

Little Ted wrote: »
    Fair play for following it up with a complaint.
    The only problem is that every time a complaint is received the company just changes their ad slightly and its a 'new' ad. This is why they keep changing the wording ever so slightly. I know others have also complained, ad taken down and within a week another similar ad put up in its place.

We all need to complain really...it's apathy that is the biggest enemy here when dealing with these lads. I'll put my hands up to it myself - my hubby applied to one of these and quickly realised what was going on. We intended to write a letter, but when looking for a job is your main focus and where you place your energy, its understandable when people don't follow up.
    Fair play to you for not letting it go

Thanks, I first thought it was me just having a chip on my shoulder. But I thought to myself they would have been happy with me making peanuts all a week, it would have made no difference to them.

I understand you completely, I myself am feeling the burn of constant applying to the point where its becoming a pain.. but I checked just there and now they have all their payrate as "Discussed on interview" which is a lot better than 400 - 700 a week. I encourage anyone to do it, to be honest.. I did very little, I just sent in the complain to them and they dealt with it really well. I got 2 mails back detailing what they were doing and in the end the conclusion was:
    The Secretariat recommends to the Complaints Committee that they adopt the following action as the required action(s) arising from their consideration of this case.

“The advertisement should not run in its current format again.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I checked just there and now they have all their payrate as "Discussed on interview" which is a lot better than 400 - 700 a week.

I still have a problem with that. Mainly because, as many people have realised, even at interview they are VERY evasive.

I would much rather see it advertised as a self-employment opportunity, that way it is ABSOLUTELY clear that you will be responsible for your own tax and PRSI, and that all income is self generated, commission based. Discussed at interview is just code for - when we get you in the door we will waffle and evade direct questions, faff around about a second 'interview' (which involves you acting as a pack mule for a day) and not give you any straight answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Hi all,

When looking on jobs websites such as jobs.ie, be weary of catchy slogans listed not only under sales jobs but in other job categories, even sciencee/pharmaceutical and restaurant jobs too!!! They are those marketing companies trying to grab your attention!!! Some of the slogans that I found were:

"Bar work not for you?"
    "Unemployed in Ireland? Earn 500 euro per week"
    "College not for you"
    Outgoing and bubbly people required for a busy Dublin company"
    Exciting sales jobs

These are just a few that caught my eye. Also look out for marketing companies who say that their "client" is a well known brand etc. They do not mention who or what the brand or service is. It looks very dodgy when they speak in terms of "the client" or use catchy slogans. The whole thing os a scam!!

Peace and Love xxx

What amazes me is how many fall for this nonsense , how many times do we get someone posting saying '' Hi , I have an interview with XYZ Marketing in Talbot Street tomorrow , anyone know what they're like to work for ? ''
    FFS.... I don't want to sound harsh but some people are so blind to the obvious that I think they deserve to be misled.

What amazes me is how many fall for this nonsense , how many times do we get someone posting saying '' Hi , I have an interview with XYZ Marketing in Talbot Street tomorrow , anyone know what they're like to work for ? ''
    FFS.... I don't want to sound harsh but some people are so blind to the obvious that I think they deserve to be misled.

I know what you're saying but tbh, I didnt really cop it straight away either. I had agreed to the interview and it was only after I researched the company I found out.

Speaking for myself being someone who has been unemployed a year, generally when I apply to things, I wont research every company.. I will send my CV and leave it at that. I'm applying to 10/20 places a day so it would drive me insane having to research every single company I apply to. I dunno, maybe I just put too much trust in jobs.ie advertising a safe job but sometimes when reading the descriptions, its hard to see through the BS they have written.

• Advertisement

I hear you alright.... one thing that the nonsense these marketing/promotions outfits has driven home to me is that the various sites like Jobs.ie do not give a sh1t who or what advertise - they have the ethics of a pimp !

Advertisement