Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BlubberyGiraffe

Delancey wrote: »
    I hear you alright.... one thing that the nonsense these marketing/promotions outfits has driven home to me is that the various sites like Jobs.ie do not give a sh1t who or what advertise - they have the ethics of a pimp !

I completely agree. The selection of jobs they have seem to cater for foreign nationals too. I mean no discrimination by that at all, but its shocking. I do be looking for anything computer/IT related and almost everything required fluency in French, German, Swedish, Hungarian etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I completely agree. The selection of jobs they have seem to cater for foreign nationals too. I mean no discrimination by that at all, but its shocking. I do be looking for anything computer/IT related and almost everything required fluency in French, German, Swedish, Hungarian etc.

:rolleyes: you can hardly blame the job websites for advertising for jobs you are not qualified for! 'Foreign' nationals as you call them have the advantage, because culturally, unlike the Irish, being multi-lingual in encouraged from a young age. There is nothing stopping irish people from learning a second or third language ... my mate speaks German, she's Irish, so its not in any way postive discrimination for non Irish for her job.

Many younger people are now looking towards learning Nordic or Asian languages, because it is a huge advantage to gaining employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Delancey wrote: »
    I note with interest the decision today in the UK by British Gas to terminate door step sales with immediate effect.
    It seems the British regulator has launched a major investigation into the whole area of door to door energy sales and it looks that heavy fines are imminent - wish the Irish regulator would do the same here.
    Apparently 40% of people signing up on the doorstep in the UK are actually getting worse deals than what they already have plus there is a blizzard of complaints about unethical behaviour by sales people......how profoundly shocking ( not ) :rolleyes:

I personally think that the way the Airtricity/Sky/Bord Gais reps make their way into your house is disgraceful. They have to read the number on your meter and get your bank details off you as the bill is paid by direct debit. You would never be asked your bank details at the door. That is an agreement between you and your bank. A garda would not have the right to ask for information about that and you wouldn't even be asked your bank details in court.

bods22 wrote: »
    I'm still unemployed since I last posted, and feel like a COMPLETE idiot for believing the garbage these people told me! This particular office is located on Capel st and I hope everyone knows what kind of scam they are conducting and stays away from them. I almost thinking about contacting their clients, who are actually well-established brands and telling them that these companies promoting them are probably doing them more harm in the long run by getting a bad name!!!!

I agree with you. I've been out of work since June and all because I fell for the shoite that they told me. It was the same place, that office on 27 Capel Street. I think that contacting the clients is a good idea but on the other hand, these particular clients may have no scruples and are only concerned about making money. Apparently they do Warner Brother's marketing! lol
    I don't know how many times i have heard people say they that they wouldn't be surprised if Victoria Jackson wasn't real. The all-american make-up artist who isn't ever going to retail in Ireland but she's done all of the SATC and Desperate Housewives ladies! HA! I'd love to contact them and ask who does their make-up!!!

Keeb wrote: »
    Orange 2 and Liamgunner need to get a life. What use is it "lol"ing at people's comments? We're trying to have a discussion on these jobs and you're valuable input of lol is just wonderful. Especially cause you too are the experts on these jobs having experienced them yourselves yeah??? didn't think so. If you don't have something worthwhile to say, don't bother. At least we're making an effort to work and not go on the dole. Do you even have a job??

**** you Keeb. Just because you're on the dole, it doesn't mean that you're not looking for a job. How dare you. 54% of the country are unemployed because of the poor economy. These companies are pyramid schemes and no one wants to be treated like a slave and pay the master at the top of the pyramid each night so that they can boast about how filthy rich they are. The only reason that you're commended in these places for high rolling is because of all of the dosh that you're putting into the boss' pocket! And yes I am speaking from experience. You'll never be entitled to any benefits because your self-employed and what'd happen if the place went bust? HUH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cool it please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

@ Keeb

yes i do have a job -

also i have done direct sales previously for a charity and i can tell you these jobs pay poorly short term and have no future long term either.

Also you're doing this for commission only - i work in a business park where call centres are full of eircom, bord gais and others sales people - these sales people are paid roughly 23k a year plus commission and these people have leads, names and addresses. Door to door don't stand a chance really. Id rather be on the dole then do that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

tis true,

and for people who have experience working in these places your only hope of making a sale is to kind of ambush the person so they dont really have time to think about what is on offer. you just attack them with words and hope nothing sticks so they will sign your form.

i remember going on my training day, the lad i was with would get annoyed if people started to ask too many questions. he more than once walked away from someone when they started to ask educated questions, like why is the standing charge so much more.

in the morning training at these places you are activly given the "tools" to make a "succesful" sale. these being slick ways to keep the conversation going in your favour and to keep the mind of the person busy on what you are saying now rather than what you have said. all this kiss and kill the conversation rubbish and the seven steps to make a sale and all that crap.

god if i made 10 sales in a day, i would know what around 6 would cancel after the end of it, as they had time to think once i was gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Door to door must be a hard job to do more over when its commission only! Its sick that companys know people need work and are exploiting them. Alot of these jobs seem to be on jobs.ie or FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 REDWEB

A friend of mine started working for one of these companies based in the city centre approximately 10 weeks ago. I won't mention the name but they have been mentioned numerous times already.

I will start off by saying that the change in my "friend" since then is quite remarkable and disturbing. As far as I can make out he works at least 65 hours a week for very little reward. He apparently gets paid on a Thursday but every Sun/Mon without fail he is asking me to lend him money, 20-30 Euros that he "will pay back on Thursday when paid". The amount owed to me is now about 200 Euro. I can live with this but what annoys me is his sheer blindness when I point out to him the lunacy of working so many hours for <200 Euro (if even that!) a week. It is literally as if he has been brainwashed...I had warned him prior to starting as I had read up on these boards and other fora about these types of businesses - multi-level marketing, I guess. The way things have played out with him is uncanny, as if to a pre-written script...

Everything he spoke about was "the company this, the company that", about how much money he was making/going to make. How this week wasn't great but the next week was going to be brilliant. About how quickly he is progressing in the company and had been earmarked for a managerial position.

When he spoke about the days he had "high-rolled(!)" and how, as a reward, he would be allowed to start training in his own team he was genuinely shock when I pointed out that this might not be such a good thing. Surely, I mentioned, this would slow him down selling. Blank stare. I also pointed out that it was strange that the "company" expected him to pay transport costs for the trainee for the day. "That's the way it's done. My trainer paid for me(!)"

Anyway next year he will, apparently, be running his own office somewhere and earning 100,000 Euro a year, 3 times what I, who am stuck in a "dead-end job, will be earning. The funny thing is when he described the career progression to this point I couldn't help but think of Joey in Friends explaining the rules of a new gameshow, "BAMBOOZLED", to Chandler and Ross. It was pure gobbledygook! Dazzle them with BS, I suppose.

Anyway I haven't been responding to his free "Please Call Me" texts for the last couple of weeks and won't be again. Sad to see a friend be turned like this, as if initiated into a cult, but there is no talking to him now. Strangely enough he is highly-educated with numerous qualifications but I guess there is no telling which candidates these companies' recruiting techniques will work on.

Just my personal experience of these companies. Take what you will from it.

• Advertisement

REDWEB wrote: »
    A friend of mine started working for one of these companies based in the city centre approximately 10 weeks ago. I won't mention the name but they have been mentioned numerous times already.

I will start off by saying that the change in my "friend" since then is quite remarkable and disturbing. As far as I can make out he works at least 65 hours a week for very little reward. He apparently gets paid on a Thursday but every Sun/Mon without fail he is asking me to lend him money, 20-30 Euros that he "will pay back on Thursday when paid". The amount owed to me is now about 200 Euro. I can live with this but what annoys me is his sheer blindness when I point out to him the lunacy of working so many hours for <200 Euro (if even that!) a week. It is literally as if he has been brainwashed...I had warned him prior to starting as I had read up on these boards and other fora about these types of businesses - multi-level marketing, I guess. The way things have played out with him is uncanny, as if to a pre-written script...

Everything he spoke about was "the company this, the company that", about how much money he was making/going to make. How this week wasn't great but the next week was going to be brilliant. About how quickly he is progressing in the company and had been earmarked for a managerial position.

When he spoke about the days he had "high-rolled(!)" and how, as a reward, he would be allowed to start training in his own team he was genuinely shock when I pointed out that this might not be such a good thing. Surely, I mentioned, this would slow him down selling. Blank stare. I also pointed out that it was strange that the "company" expected him to pay transport costs for the trainee for the day. "That's the way it's done. My trainer paid for me(!)"

Anyway next year he will, apparently, be running his own office somewhere and earning 100,000 Euro a year, 3 times what I, who am stuck in a "dead-end job, will be earning. The funny thing is when he described the career progression to this point I couldn't help but think of Joey in Friends explaining the rules of a new gameshow, "BAMBOOZLED", to Chandler and Ross. It was pure gobbledygook! Dazzle them with BS, I suppose.

Anyway I haven't been responding to his free "Please Call Me" texts for the last couple of weeks and won't be again. Sad to see a friend be turned like this, as if initiated into a cult, but there is no talking to him now. Strangely enough he is highly-educated with numerous qualifications but I guess there is no telling which candidates these companies' recruiting techniques will work on.

Just my personal experience of these companies. Take what you will from it.

That is actually terrifying. I cant believe they have managed to wrap him around their finger like that. Tbh, you're better off distancing yourself for him. He's probably using you as an excuse since when he needs the money you're there and that means he'll never really be "broke" while working there. Once he feels the brunt of how little he actually earns, then that'll hopefully wake him up because he is going down a dodgy road. Has anyone else tried to talk to him about it? What does his family feel about him working for this company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 REDWEB

@BlubberyGiraffe

Yeah, scary situation he is in now. Don't know how it will play out. Quite sure he is behind on rent/bills too.

Unfortunately he is from the South West so no other friends/family would be aware of what his situation. I'm sure he's telling them he's doing great though.

I can only imagine it is a similar situation to someone you know being indoctrinated into a religious cult! Also he is quite stubborn so I think he really believes that he will "be the one" who will prove all the naysayers wrong. The longer you are in then I guess the harder it is to admit to yourself you have been deluded. Personally I wouldn't see any shame in this as many others have been duped and I don't see the benefit in wasting good time after bad.

I only hope he gets out before he ends up on the streets and I truly don't know how the people who run these "businesses" sleep at night. Misery loves company I suppose...

REDWEB wrote: »
    @BlubberyGiraffe

Yeah, scary situation he is in now. Don't know how it will play out. Quite sure he is behind on rent/bills too.

Unfortunately he is from the South West so no other friends/family would be aware of what his situation. I'm sure he's telling them he's doing great though.

I can only imagine it is a similar situation to someone you know being indoctrinated into a religious cult! Also he is quite stubborn so I think he really believes that he will "be the one" who will prove all the naysayers wrong. The longer you are in then I guess the harder it is to admit to yourself you have been deluded. Personally I wouldn't see any shame in this as many others have been duped and I don't see the benefit in wasting good time after bad.

I only hope he gets out before he ends up on the streets and I truly don't know how the people who run these "businesses" sleep at night. Misery loves company I suppose...

I know, that seems to be the saddest part. The company truly do not care if it means he ends up on the streets as long as he continues to sell. Hopefully he realizes soon enough because an intervention doesnt seem to be enough.

The fact that he's so stubborn also contributes to this as well, many will say he brought it all on himself but the fact is, he's fully convinced this is the right decision. This is why I am so glad I turned down that interview... because I knew that eventually this would happen, I would end up not earning enough to cover rent, altho I could never imagine myself being so manipulated by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

This is by no means the first time these outfits have been likened to a ' cult '.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Hi guys after some years of being unemployed and applying for loads of jobs i finally got a job..some weeks back..yes it turned out to be door to door trying to get people to convert to airtricity ..commisssion only...
    its tough...start at 11am and listen to crap for 3 hours in the office on how to deal with people at the door..then onto the door to door until 8.30pm then back to the office until 10.30 for debriefing and more brain washing...you would be wrecked from it..its a great way to loose weight as you walk for miles all day long regardless of the weather..
    anyway after almost 2 weeks i jacked it as a waste of time..
    did notice some pure unfortunates especially young people who were totally brainwashed into thinking that they would have their own office after a few months..if you were a good seller you got targeted by the biz for extra brainwashing..
    now for a couple of weeks the marketing tactics and experience that you get in meeting people is great..
    but i can see how people get sucked into the system..
    the manager never leaves you alone and even on saturday and sunday call you up to quiz you on how your training is coming along and whats your plan for next week..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Theres a compnay who do door-to-door sales awile back called JM Energy Savers i think it was called are they one of these companys?. There jobs were always on job.ie.

Also theres jobs are always on jobs.ie why is that?

lala88 wrote: »
    Theres a compnay who do door-to-door sales awile back called JM Energy Savers i think it was called are they one of these companys?. There jobs were always on job.ie.

Also theres jobs are always on jobs.ie why is that?

Because they're crap jobs and most people leave after realising that so the turnover rate is staggeringly high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lanathan

Hey all,

I have an interview with Impala Direct tomorrow for what appears to be an Instore Cosmetic Sales Assistant Job.
    Do you think it is also just going to be a commission only basis?

lanathan wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have an interview with Impala Direct tomorrow for what appears to be an Instore Cosmetic Sales Assistant Job.

Absolutely, under no circumstances take a job with them chancers. They will advertise the job however they want. I bet they didnt even put a salary in.. "negotiated in interview"?

I sent them a mail the day after I accepted the interview, saying no thanks. I was polite about it, but still... they're chancers. Once you get there, they'll say its commission only. They wanted me to make my own way out to Maynooth (I live in tallaght) and expected me to walk around from 10am to 6pm selling things from door to door.

lanathan wrote: »
    Hey all,

Regardless of what you may be told at interview be assured it will be commission only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Yeah,

It will be for commission only, based on how many sales you make in the day. its a bit better than walking around on the streets for hours at a time, as you will have a toilet near you in the store.

Also, on the points of the brainwashing that goes on, i would love to hear ladders views on this, i have also seen a few lads going in who were convinced they would be a manager in the next few months, even though they were stuck as a team leader for 7-9 months, well longer than you are told you should be at that level before moving to assistant manager.

peace out ya`ll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brankzini

Hey all,

Do you think it is also just going to be a commission only basis????

Brankzini wrote: »
    Hey all,

Do you think it is also just going to be a commission only basis????

Have you read the threads honey? Seriously don't go. You'll be ****ed over, all you're doing is funding the managers expensive shopping bills. This is a pyramid scheme. Don't make the same mistake I did. They tell you at last minute that you're self-employed but you do not choose your working hours and you must obey the slave driver at the top. Plus if the place ever went bust or you wanted to quit, and believe me you will, you won't ever be able to go on the dole. They go on about how amazing VJ is and the stuff is made in China. Darling trust me, its a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brankzini

reali???? so where does the instore sales assistant come frm then??????? they could jst go ahead and say its a marketing and commison based job!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

i recently finished working with mkm and they really do seem to brainwash people,they target younger people and give them the whole management in 5 months crap(they tell them that they want people with a student mentality but its really because they are more impressionable) they seem to fall for it.they promote you training leader after a few weeks and expect you to work even longer hours (in at 9.30 and finished between 9.30 and 10.30 at night) for **** all extra.60 to 70 hours a week and you could ended making no money at all.they dont give a **** about you,i heard of one fella actually living in the office in dublin because he couldnt afford his rent.they send people on road trips and tell them they have accomadation arranged and when you get there they find that they have to get there own accomadation.i know of 4 people who went to the uk and had no place to stay and were told to stay quiet about it(1 of them is still working there,completely brainwashed).i have also heard one of guy travelling to limerick from dublin and ended up sleeping in a park that junkies hang around at night.the reason i couldnt make the expected sales is because i couldnt bring myself to tell the lies that other people were.

i have meat people who sell victoria jackson who said that if they take 10 sets to sell they have to pay for 10 sets that night even if they only sold 1.the girls selling them also advised some other people in the office eho were interested to get make up else where because it would be better quality.

Brankzini wrote: »
    reali???? so where does the instore sales assistant come frm then??????? they could jst go ahead and say its a marketing and commison based job!!!!!!

It is not a marketing company as these people do not deal directly with the companies that they represent. The whole thing is extremely dodgy. The instore sales assistant position was probably advertised under this title to make it seem more attractive as there are many people who would not like to do door-to-door sales. This was one of the things that I could not understand, the managers/slave drivers kept on saying that we were not to think of ourselves as door-to-door sales people!! WTF?? I think that the instore sales assistant was for a stall in a shopping centre, apparently these people set up shop as it were in shopping centres for the Christmas period. But you will have to go d2d too.

As for the commission based job issue, all I can say is that 9 times out of 10 they don't put this in their advertisments because they would never get as many people applying for the job. Some of these companies put this in and fair enough. However, these places tend to leave out a vital amount of information and you will get screwed over one way or another. Be very wary of these places. I know many people who are trying really hard to get a job and off the dole these days and these places are just playing on their vulnerabilities.

You are not self-employed
    This is a pyramid scheme
    You spend all your money on the job
    You will never be entitled to any social welfare payments
    Stay the hell away

Take it from me, as I posted in my last thread, I was funding my high-maintainence manager's expensive suits and holidays.

i was working there to fund my managers obsession with tropical fish.even when i was on my observation day i wasnt told it was 100% commission,my mentor told me i could earn between 200 and 400 a week depending on sales.i know quiet a few people that fell for this thinking they would at least be getting 200 a week.and you definetly spend all your money on the job,some lads look for extra petrol money just to top up your wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curlydevil

Tomorrow I have a job with The Vision Organization after reading the post's here, I know that I will be prepared for the "interview" and although people say that it’s a tough job and not a scam, I know people who have worked for them in the past and as a result of it ended out owing people money rather than earning money from the job. That said if you enjoy door to door sales and getting paid on commission then by all means go for these jobs.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ChrisR1

After reading most of these threads. I want to make some things clear!!! I have worked within a group like this in waterford for 2 months.

100% commission job is not a wage. You work under the fact that you meet 300 people per day and 30 of those will say yes so hence you sell an item for 10 you make 300. You pay for the item then and then you pay a certain amount to your "manager" this shows a triangle company. ILLEGAL!!!! Also I done well for the first month is this made over 100 per day but when I had bad days I made no money!!!
    I lost a grandparent and all I got we're phones calls to when I was coming back and expectedly I was not in good form when I returned so hence didn't make money and hence I went stone cold broke.
    The only thing I can say is thank god for good friends.

I will NEVER EVER return to one of these so called company's!!!

Advertisement