Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 curlydevil

I am sorry to hear about your loss, and I know how it feels. I know that it is a scam but to call you up and ask when your coming back and not to ask how you are doing, I didn't think that they would be that bad to you at all, but I was in for the second interview today and when I told them I wasn't interested they told me that I could earn up to 350 euro a day. It was almost like I wasn't allowed to leave. If that is how bad it is with them for interviews I don't want to even imagine what it is like working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChrisR1

Thank you!!

Fair enough it was a few years ago given but I still found it extremely bad. The people that were the same level as me were nice people fair enough but it is not something I would recommend and it a friend told me they were thinking of taking the job, I would have a long and serious chat about it to them before they would!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

I notice they seem to be making a big puch to get people in the last few weeks saying they can make extra money for christmas etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

lala88 wrote: »
    I notice they seem to be making a big puch to get people in the last few weeks saying they can make extra money for christmas etc

Then after Christmas they'll be telling people they can pay off their credit card debts and after that they'll tell people they can get money for their summer holidays and after that.............

You get the idea , recruitment of ' Cannon Fodder ' is essential for the survival of these outfits.

Delancey wrote: »
    Then after Christmas they'll be telling people they can pay off their credit card debts and after that they'll tell people they can get money for their summer holidays and after that.............

You get the idea , recruitment of ' Cannon Fodder ' is essential for the survival of these outfits.

Surprised there still in business. I taught Airtricity had got rid of there door to door reps? Still dont know why anyone would fall for there lies

• Advertisement

Some people must be believing them or they wouldn't be there but then there are people out there that desperatly need to make money so I guess you can't blame then for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cici.x

NerdPantzz wrote: »
    I am due to have an interview with thesepeople tomorrow and had no idea door to door sales is what I'm goeeting involed in! Don't think I'll go to the interview now!!!

i just applied online for roar promotions and i was searching about it and this popped up and said its door to door sales and commission only ?? is that true??? i have an interview tomorrow and i dont want to go now!!!
    It said nothing about door to door or commission only , this is what it said ...

Sales and Client Representation.

We are currently recruiting for an enthusiastic sales and customer service team for us. Representing national high brand clients and full product training provided, this could be the opening you have been looking for.

No previous sales experience is required as we have a team ready to coach and develop you in all aspects of our business and clients, but previous customer service experience is an advantage.

Successful applicants will;
    - Have great customer service skills
    - Be a team player
    - Be looking for a new challenge
    - Be focused towards hitting targets
    -
    You will be responsible for;
    - Delivering high quality performance
    - Understanding clients and customers requirements
    - Generating a high customer service skill set
    - Promoting and delivering our client to people

Don’t delay, send your CV today...
    so whats the deal????? and it said 350-650 Per Week???
    fake or true??????????? :confused:

Its commission only - either door to door or setting up a stand in a shopping centre and asking passers by '' excuse me have you a minute ? '' , you'll be lucky to make any money at all much less 600 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Cici.x wrote: »
    i just applied online for roar promotions and i was searching about it and this popped up and said its door to door sales and commission only ?? is that true??? i have an interview tomorrow and i dont want to go now!!!
    It said nothing about door to door or commission only , this is what it said ...

so whats the deal????? and it said 350-650 Per Week???
    fake or true??????????? :confused:

well, as you see there are 33 pages of information telling you over and over again that these companies are door-to-door, commission only, so what do you reckon? that we're only messing, and we didn't mean in in the last 33 pages of advice?
    to be very clear...
    YES it is commission only
    YES it is door-to-door type sales
    YES you will essentially be self employed
    YES you will be worked like a dog
    NO you won't get rich

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Just wanted to add my experience on these places. I worked for a company part of the Cobra group run by Jason Freyne, with offices beside the old Statoil on the quays.

I wasted almost all my savings as the money you earn is so poor. We were selling restaurant cards and worked a min of 12 hours a day.

When we returned to the office to "ring the bell" the owner would boast about how he had earned 17,000 that month and was buying a new Jag soon. And how this could be us this time next year..

I'm sure even Del and Rodney would have got a pain in their arse with it!!

• Advertisement

cannonball5 man i feel your pain i went through the same thing in waterford

I would love to know how people actually take up these jobs and fail to smell a rat ?
    Plenty of people here have fallen for this nonsense - anyone care to explain how they found themselves in this situation ?
    I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I would love to know how people actually take up these jobs and fail to smell a rat ?
    Plenty of people here have fallen for this nonsense - anyone care to explain how they found themselves in this situation ?
    I'm genuinely interested.

Delancey, I was just out of school and thought I was some big shot. Getting up eveyday putting on a suit, i beleived them when they said it was that easy.

They make you feel like a team and you can't let the other people down that you are with.

The best speech was one that if you ever felt defeated or low "in the field" to call into a furniture shop and pick out desks and chairs for your office that you will own next year. This will motivate you to make more sales

When I look back it's kinda funny in a weird way !!!

I second that. I'd done hospitality work and just need a change. I was still only 18 and I was lead on to believing that this was a good opportunity. Lasted a couple of months in it until I realized how wrong I was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Title: Sales/Marketing Rep
    Type: Temporary Full Time
    Qualification: Degree level/ Full Driving License
    Description:

We are looking for a hard working, motivated sales person that will achieve results.
    The ability to close out a sale is a must as the position is on a commission only basis.
    The expected commission would be in the region of 500 to 1000 euro a week.
    Applicants must have their own car. Laptop and mileage provided.
    Organisational skills is key to this job and we want someone that is really enthusiastic.

The product you will be selling is a unique web based golf tool. You will be calling to Golf Clubs,Ranges,Shops depending on your geographical location.

PM for more details.

That is an absolute farce!!! I wouldn't go near the place with a barge poll!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michael525

First time poster here but after doing some homework on these marketing company's I'd like to drop my experience.

Much like many of the stories here i was out of work, i registered my CV with jobs.ie, applied for a few jobs that fitted my qualifications but no joy. A few weeks had passed and i got an email from a company asking if i'd be able to attend an interview the following week, no mention of what the job was but i said id chance it anyway.

I put on my best togs and arrived for the interview 20 mins early... the first this that struck me was the office environment, it seemed a bit "laid back", almost a bit too laid back for my liking, there was one room that looked like a training room of sorts and there was people sitting around on the floor with terrible dance music blaring :confused. I didnt pay too much attention to this and i went in and introduced myself, I filled all the paperwork and waited to be called for my interview. At this stage i still had no idea what the job entailed :confused:

Shortly after i was called, but to my surprise the lady i was sitting beside was called at the same time, we were essentially pitched off against each other in the interview. The guy behind the desk went on with all the stuff mentioned here already, he boasted about how much he earned, his merc SL500 :rolleyes:, his big house etc... So we carried on and i sold myself pretty well, at the end of the interview he asked me to wait back and the other girl left, he started giving me his life story about how he was a down and out in the gutter and that this company brought him to new levels of success etc etc... He said they were a big family, not a business and he wanted me to join the family, now at this stage alarm bells were going off, it was almost like a cult more than a business...and it gets better..

He asked me to come in at 10am the following morning for some intensive training, (still no idea what the job was, although I had gathered that it was some sort of sales job). I arrived the following morning and met my team, they were all very similar to the person I had already met, they all fed me with this zero to hero story and told me they were all working towards that ultimate managers job :rolleyes:. It was only in the car on the way to the estate we were working that I was actually told what we were doing. We set about our d2d thing and I have to admit I admired what the guy I was paired with could do, he could literally engage anyone in conversation and before I knew it he had literally ran in their front door and was sitting at their kitchen table.Its not a skill that everyone master. It didn’t take me very long to detest what these people do however.. When he got into the house he became very pushy and arrogant, he would completely disregard what the homeowner would say and begin filling out contract documents in their names and demanding that they sign, I was genuinely embarrassed to be associated with this person and at one stage I apologised to one homeowner.

After a 12 hour day and 2 sales out of 120 doors knocked we went back to the office, this person was still telling me they were more than a company more a big happy family and how they all live together and regularly have themed nights out etc.. ( I got that cult feeling again)…

I know ive rambled on a bit but to finish I went in the following morning to tell the boss that I didn’t think I was the candidate they were looking for and I would have to part company with them. He was pretty sound about it but he told me of all the opportunities id be missing and all the fast cars and big houses etc…He told me id always be welcome to call in to say hi and whatnot.

I met the whole gang of them out in a pub two nights later and every single one of them snubbed me, I even noticed one of them throwing me the stink eye on a few occasions.. I was literally gobsmacked but the whole thing, they really were a proper bunch of freaks!

To conclude, in my opinion there is a very good reason they don’t fully advertise exactly what it is they do, they seem to attempt to pressure young naïve individuals who are easily led into borderline slavery, while at the same time brainwashing some sort of indelible positivity into them…

Stay well away!

I think Jobs.ie dont make themselfs look very good. Seeing as there the only ones that have theres jobs advertised. To me is shows that they'll take anyones money

I think Jobs.ie dont make themselfs look very good. Seeing as there the only ones that have theres jobs advertised. To me is shows that they'll take anyones money

+ 1 , it just proves jobs.ie have zero credibilty - they also carry a lot of ads for ' jobs ' that I believe do not exist.

I assume they'll have a big recruitment drive now after Charistmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DoLL_Face

Got a phone call from Impala Direct today asking to come for an interview. Thought they looked a bit fishy and googled them and found this thread.

The job advertised was "Cosmetic Trainee Manager" so I'm guessing its selling cosmetics door to door or business to business.

I have nothing against sales work, I worked door to door for 3months in Australia. But that was for a base wage and it was still hard work. Its really long hours and a really draining job!

The main problem with these companies is they try to trick you in to taking a job, and they are good at what they do because at the end of the day they are sales people, all they are doing is selling the job to you!
    They're just wasting their own time and everyone else by interviewing people under false pretenses!!

Companies should have to state if the job is commission only in their ad's! Really commission only jobs shouldn't be allowed at all!! I mean 1st of all its slave labour! And 2nd of all consumers are affected because there will be way more dodgy sales/scams being made when people are being pressured to make sales to make a wage!

But Anyway.. Needless to say I won't be going to the interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The brother leader

Anyone ever heard of or worked for this company? I replied to an ad they have on jobs.ie, spoke to the girl on the phone and everything seems above board but then again you can never be too sure. Especially after reading through this thread and hearing about other peoples experiences with door to door jobs.

In fairness to them they're saying out straight in their ad that its door to door sales, not like what ive read on other posts here about some of these 'marketing' companies. She said it's door to door sales, getting people to switch their gas & electricity for huge discounts.

Seems legit, but I cant help thinking its just another pyramid scheme type crap, 'you'll own your own ferrari this time next year' 'be your own boss' bullsh*t.

Another thing that's ringing alarm bells for me is the fact they also have several differently worded ads on gumtree

Am I wasting my time?

Any opinions welcomed, thanks

Am I wasting my time?

I think only you can make that decision - there is plenty of material in this thread that allows you to make an informed choice.

At least Billsave were upfront about the commission only nature of the job but at the end of the day you will be knocking on doors that have almost certainly been knocked on many times before by people trying to get consumers to switch utility providers.

I'd sooner break stones.....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

I think only you can make that decision - there is plenty of material in this thread that allows you to make an informed choice.

At least Billsave were upfront about the commission only nature of the job but at the end of the day you will be knocking on doors that have almost certainly been knocked on many times before by people trying to get consumers to switch utility providers.

I'd sooner break stones.....

Done it last november for a company based in kilkenny on behalf of a gas company.. commission only.. crap job.. made 6 sales in 2 weeks and never got paid...A **** JOB..

Anyone ever heard of or worked for this company? I replied to an ad they have on jobs.ie, spoke to the girl on the phone and everything seems above board but then again you can never be too sure. Especially after reading through this thread and hearing about other peoples experiences with door to door jobs.

In fairness to them they're saying out straight in their ad that its door to door sales, not like what ive read on other posts here about some of these 'marketing' companies. She said it's door to door sales, getting people to switch their gas & electricity for huge discounts.

Seems legit, but I cant help thinking its just another pyramid scheme type crap, 'you'll own your own ferrari this time next year' 'be your own boss' bullsh*t.

Another thing that's ringing alarm bells for me is the fact they also have several differently worded ads on gumtree

Am I wasting my time?

Any opinions welcomed, thanks

There different to the other ones alright. As far as i know its just sales no becoming an owner etc

DoLL_Face wrote: »
    Got a phone call from Impala Direct today asking to come for an interview. Thought they looked a bit fishy and googled them and found this thread.

The job advertised was "Cosmetic Trainee Manager" so I'm guessing its selling cosmetics door to door or business to business.

I have nothing against sales work, I worked door to door for 3months in Australia. But that was for a base wage and it was still hard work. Its really long hours and a really draining job!

The main problem with these companies is they try to trick you in to taking a job, and they are good at what they do because at the end of the day they are sales people, all they are doing is selling the job to you!
    They're just wasting their own time and everyone else by interviewing people under false pretenses!!

Companies should have to state if the job is commission only in their ad's! Really commission only jobs shouldn't be allowed at all!! I mean 1st of all its slave labour! And 2nd of all consumers are affected because there will be way more dodgy sales/scams being made when people are being pressured to make sales to make a wage!

But Anyway.. Needless to say I won't be going to the interview!

I wouldn't totaly agree with that. If you want to work in sales you shouldn't really be worried about having a wage. Your job is to selling and if you have a wage your going to slack off. Of course thats not the same with every sales job, door to door you should have some small wage seeing as you might not make any sales

I see a new compnay in Cork & Dublin called Simple Sales & Marketing are theres the same or are they different?

I see a new compnay in Cork & Dublin called Simple Sales & Marketing are theres the same or are they different?

A million quid says its the same nonsense with a different name.

As for people not being afraid of being commission only if they have confidence in their sales skills its worth noting that many people have said they never got paid at all or only got part of what they were owed . Some chancers deduct for '' training ''.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Did you get their mass spam email too then?

I wonder how many poor souls were taken in by it

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    Did you get their mass spam email too then?

I wonder how many poor souls were taken in by it

No i just see it on jobs.ie (like all theres jobs) and was just wondering

Advertisement