Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Delancey wrote: »
    A million quid says its the same nonsense with a different name.

As for people not being afraid of being commission only if they have confidence in their sales skills its worth noting that many people have said they never got paid at all or only got part of what they were owed . Some chancers deduct for '' training ''.

It seems a little different. Some work has actually been put in to make it look some but good i.e website etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Anyone ever heard of or worked for this company? I replied to an ad they have on jobs.ie, spoke to the girl on the phone and everything seems above board but then again you can never be too sure. Especially after reading through this thread and hearing about other peoples experiences with door to door jobs.

In fairness to them they're saying out straight in their ad that its door to door sales, not like what ive read on other posts here about some of these 'marketing' companies. She said it's door to door sales, getting people to switch their gas & electricity for huge discounts.

Seems legit, but I cant help thinking its just another pyramid scheme type crap, 'you'll own your own ferrari this time next year' 'be your own boss' bullsh*t.

Another thing that's ringing alarm bells for me is the fact they also have several differently worded ads on gumtree

Am I wasting my time?

Any opinions welcomed, thanks

Hi, I worked for Billsave in Swords since April last year. I left in November because another opportunity presented itself to me. In all the time I was there, I was paid exactly what I was meant to be paid.

The reason there are several different ads on Gumtree, is that they, like any direct sales company, are always seeking more staff. They run incentives and give bonuses to anyone who can introduce someone to the team who is successful. This has led to some of the door to door guys writing up their own ads on Gumtree (as its free) hoping that someone will contact them looking for a job, then they will earn a bonus for doing so. You will notice they all have different email addresses.

The director of the company is a personal friend of mine who I met doing door to door in Scotland 10 years ago, thats actually why I ended up in Ireland myself (Im Scottish). Its a tough job, and its not suitable for everyone, but if you have confidence and an outgoing and friendly nature, then you have every chance that you will make a success of it.

Even if you do decide to leave in the short term, you will still be paid everything youre entitled to. Many other agencies will make excuses and give you nothing. Billsave are very aware that Ireland is a small country and people use forums such as these, to discuss concerns. The last thing they want is to lose potentially good quality staff because they have been given a bad name. So they ensure everyone is paid and treated fairly, that way when you come on here or other similar places, you wont find any bad info about them.

I will say one thing, with the current economic climate, recently hiked prices and this cold time of year, people who previously couldnt care less about switching energy suppliers, are seriously considering it.

Which office are you applying to? DunLaoighre or Swords?

Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jay_3123

Applied for a bunch of jobs in the last few days and get a call back today, of course i'm fairly happy about that.

So, I have to travel from Dublin to Cork (i've relocated from Limerick) the next day. I'm thinking... What was the position again... Graphic Design? Marketing? So, I check the website (roar promotions) and it looks like garbage. Start thinking mightn't be worth the effort and expense of travelling to Cork. Then I checked on boards.ie... Which saved me a lot of effort! Needless to say I won't be bothering.

Thanks to all here for the information. Seems Roar, and many others under the Appco Group, are not neccesarily fraudulent, but very misleading i.e they provide **** jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

lala88 wrote: »

Wow ! They certainly know how make a pigs ear look like a silk purse - pure propaganda but slickly packaged and quite capable of trapping the unwary.

• Advertisement

Wow ! They certainly know how make a pigs ear look like a silk purse - pure propaganda but slickly packaged and quite capable of trapping the unwary.

Yes there are so many of them at this stage its hard to keep up with them! Iv never actually seen this one before

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

got roped into blue steel acquisitions last november...its a real **** company
    brainwashing is the order of the day.. commission only.. you get dropped off in the midddle of nowhere @ 2pm go door to door and get picked up again @ 8pm..you have no high viz jacket and in the midddle of winter walking the roads knocking on doors..
    its a great experience but you are on the road to nowhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 connolly09

Nearly got caught myself yesterday. Posted my cv on jobs.ie and got a call from an intense marketing crowd to go up for an interview the next day. Went up not really knowing much about them but was shocked when they brought in two people at a time to interview. Even then it couldnt be called an interview because bar two simple questions the rest of the time was spent listening to the man supposed to be giving the interview. An hour after the interview got called to say id made the top 20% to come back tomorrow. too easy to be true. Got on to a few people as it seemed awful shady. Found this thread and it confirmed my suspicions. What probably save me was the fact that I would have to move to dublin and with no basic salary what was i gonna survive on. Thankfully i didnt waste a train fare going up today. I wont be so naive again. Seem likes a very dodgey outfit, ya'd have to wonder how their let away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

trail man wrote: »
    you have no high viz jacket and in the midddle of winter walking the roads knocking on doors..
    its a great experience but you are on the road to nowhere..

Id have thought with a username like yours, this would be your dream job! :)

well D J RICHARD....
    spinning would be one of your strong points with an alias like yours...

• Advertisement

One i seen on Jobs.ie for along time was a compnay called JM Energy Savings. A friend of mine looked into and said they guy running it came across as a right p****. He sent Airtricitry an email about him and he now seems to be gone so at least it seem Airtricity are taking steps to get rid of companys like this

Dont expect much from airtricity as they know exactly whats going on and will do anything to get new customers...:cool:

trail man wrote: »
    Dont expect much from airtricity as they know exactly whats going on and will do anything to get new customers...:cool:

Well they are a business and im fairly sure if they didn't have customers for very long

Airtricity , Vodafone , Bord Gais , SKY and all the other utility providers don't give 2 sh1ts what these direct sales crowds get up to once they produce new business.
    I have not known 1 person who signed with Airtricity and did not bitterly regret it later - their billing is a pure disaster.
    Check out the consumer forum for some horror stories.

Airtricity , Vodafone , Bord Gais , SKY and all the other utility providers don't give 2 sh1ts what these direct sales crowds get up to once they produce new business.
    I have not known 1 person who signed with Airtricity and did not bitterly regret it later - their billing is a pure disaster.
    Check out the consumer forum for some horror stories.

Really id have no problem with them using theres compnays at the end of the day it brings them business and thats whats its all about for them what ever way you look at it.

Also its not there problem if theres companys say all there s*** about running there own office seeing as there part of a bigger compnay. At least they have taken steps in getting rid of the sales companys that they cam get rid of like the JM Energy Saveings

about running there own office.......YOUR QUOTE..
    I SMELL A RAT HERE..

ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE....:cool:..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This thread is a gift, the younger brother just mailed me asking how to get to dun laoghaire. He has an interview with MGM marketing in the morning. I knew I read somewhere about these "marketing" companies. I told him in no uncertain terms to save his bus/dart fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Hi GUys,

I've just been on jobs.ie and I came across an ad for a sales job in which the company name was "undisclosed". The job description itself seemed ok as they said that you would earn 8.65/hour plus commission and that it was not outdoors. There was a phone number in the ad for any further information but there was no location as to where the company office was.

I have alredy fallen victom to a pyramid scheme and the set up was totally dodgy as the company failed to give many important details.

I would love to know if anyone has either seen this job advertised or applied for it and if so, could they provide details. :)

Cheers

Easily answered - once the company name is not disclosed it's a safe bet it's another one of these outfits. Don't waste your time.

I think this sould be on the first page as much as it can. So hears one of there new ads

Sports Minded People Are you a competitive person? Do you like to win?
    Then match your passion for sport with a potential career!

With a solid track record for success our client's rapid expansion plans throughout the country means we now have openings available in Cork and Kerry at the Entry Level for Events, Marketing, and Field Sales.

After obtaining a new client we are now looking for fun-loving and motivated individuals who excel within their role, enjoy themselves while they work, and are ready to start immediately.

Successful Applicants will be given Advice and Guidance in:
    • Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction
    • Direct Sales and Marketing Techniques
    • Business Development and Campaign Management
    • People Management and Public Speaking

We Offer:
    • Team Nights Out and Company Incentives
    • Travel Opportunities throughout Ireland, UK, Europe
    • Business Development Opportunity for the More Ambitious
    • Great Bonus and Commission Structure
    Positions are suitable for anyone up for a new challenge including students/graduates, hospitality and retial staff, tradespeople, and sales reps.

No experience is necessary as full product advice and guidance is provided.

If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and love to have fun while you work then apply below today!

Location Cork or Kerry Payment
    Depending on Experience Category
    Construction / Engineering, Sales - Up to €35k, Pubs, Bars & Clubs. Terms
    Permanent, Full-time Last updated
    01/02/2012
    If you look it says no experience but then under payment it says depending on experience!

• Advertisement

The words '' fun loving '' send a chill down my spine......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Vigilant Citizen

lala88 wrote: »
    I think this sould be on the first page as much as it can. So hears one of there new ads

Sports Minded People Are you a competitive person? Do you like to win?
    Then match your passion for sport with a potential career!

With a solid track record for success our client's rapid expansion plans throughout the country means we now have openings available in Cork and Kerry at the Entry Level for Events, Marketing, and Field Sales.

After obtaining a new client we are now looking for fun-loving and motivated individuals who excel within their role, enjoy themselves while they work, and are ready to start immediately.

Successful Applicants will be given Advice and Guidance in:
    • Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction
    • Direct Sales and Marketing Techniques
    • Business Development and Campaign Management
    • People Management and Public Speaking

We Offer:
    • Team Nights Out and Company Incentives
    • Travel Opportunities throughout Ireland, UK, Europe
    • Business Development Opportunity for the More Ambitious
    • Great Bonus and Commission Structure
    Positions are suitable for anyone up for a new challenge including students/graduates, hospitality and retial staff, tradespeople, and sales reps.

No experience is necessary as full product advice and guidance is provided.

If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and love to have fun while you work then apply below today!

Location Cork or Kerry Payment
    Depending on Experience Category
    Construction / Engineering, Sales - Up to €35k, Pubs, Bars & Clubs. Terms
    Permanent, Full-time Last updated
    01/02/2012
    If you look it says no experience but then under payment it says depending on experience!
    • Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction = knocking at doors
    • Direct Sales and Marketing Techniques = knocking at doors
    • Business Development and Campaign Management = deciding which estate to go to to knock at doors
    • People Management and Public Speaking = knocking at doors and speaking to people

Its this kind of bullsh*t talk, using fancy words to hide the fact that its knocking at doors that sucks in the vulnerable job seekers before they realise its too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Vigilant Citizen

@lala88, have you worked for one of these companies before? What kind of experience did you have?

I did door to door sales before, but that was in australia a few years ago. Ive heard nothing but bad things about the door to door companies here in Ireland

My little bro has been for an interview with one of these outfits (don't know if im allowed name the company on here?) Im trying to warn him off it as much as I can, to be honest im actually quite worried about him going for it, especially after coming across this thread.

He's only been for the interview and a training day, yet already the shyte talk has started. he's talking about becoming a 'hub' manager (whatever that means) owning his own office, going on a trip to amsterdam with his new colleagues. And worst of all this company has promised him a high earning sales job with google or o2 after he works for them! I couldn't believe it when he told me this, but I've done a bit of research into this company and they actually do say this in their adds. They use the words sales 'internship', and sales 'apprenticeship', and most laughable of all their 'alumni' have gone on to big jobs in google and the like. What an absolute joke! Are they even allowed use these words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RandomLight

Great thread. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 normz24

went for an interveiw,.. then went for a second interview where i had to walk around in the freezing cold all day to get told it was commission only at the "third stage" of he interveiw... i was sick!!! my legs hurt and i SPENT 20 euro on luas and food that day,.. dont do it!!!!! :/ :eek:

@lala88, have you worked for one of these companies before? What kind of experience did you have?

I did door to door sales before, but that was in australia a few years ago. Ive heard nothing but bad things about the door to door companies here in Ireland

My little bro has been for an interview with one of these outfits (don't know if im allowed name the company on here?) Im trying to warn him off it as much as I can, to be honest im actually quite worried about him going for it, especially after coming across this thread.

He's only been for the interview and a training day, yet already the shyte talk has started. he's talking about becoming a 'hub' manager (whatever that means) owning his own office, going on a trip to amsterdam with his new colleagues. And worst of all this company has promised him a high earning sales job with google or o2 after he works for them! I couldn't believe it when he told me this, but I've done a bit of research into this company and they actually do say this in their adds. They use the words sales 'internship', and sales 'apprenticeship', and most laughable of all their 'alumni' have gone on to big jobs in google and the like. What an absolute joke! Are they even allowed use these words?

Yes i have! ITs the same story as everyone ealse really, you'll run your own office in 6 months, make lots of money etc. Total buls**** the whole thing

yes indeed all these door to door jobs are a disaster..
    no pay and wearing out your own shoe leather..
    now look on the bright side if you have a weight problem you wont be long slimming down after walking miles every day in all kinds of weather for a couple of weeks ..oh
    dont sign off the dole as it creates hassle trying to get back on and the door to door job working for free will keep your cv up to date..you wont be any richer most likely a lot poorer ....but wiser..:D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 james 181

Hi,

I applied for a sales job today to a company called XR Marketing on Monster.ie. Only an hour or two had passed when a woman rang me explaining one of their recruiters picked out my CV and wanted me to come to an interview tomorrow. After reading this thread am I hugely skeptical, however, this company has not really been mentioned as being a scam on this. Their website does look quite legitimate.

The ad does say the salary is between €300-€800 and it does not say it is commission only. The company is based in Dun Laoghaire which is where other companies of their ilk are located. I am from Wexford and have been told to travel to Dublin for the interview. I do not want to waste time on this job if it is 100% commission. I hope someone can shed some light on this before tomorrow.

Guaranteed its one of these outfits - don't waste your money travelling for the ' interview '.

james 181 wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for a sales job today to a company called XR Marketing on Monster.ie. Only an hour or two had passed when a woman rang me explaining one of their recruiters picked out my CV and wanted me to come to an interview tomorrow. After reading this thread am I hugely skeptical, however, this company has not really been mentioned as being a scam on this. Their website does look quite legitimate.

The ad does say the salary is between €300-€800 and it does not say it is commission only. The company is based in Dun Laoghaire which is where other companies of their ilk are located. I am from Wexford and have been told to travel to Dublin for the interview. I do not want to waste time on this job if it is 100% commission. I hope someone can shed some light on this before tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Just looking back on the thread. Hadn't read it in a while.

Good to see that it is helping people out when they search for info after being offered interviews.

Advertisement