Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

I got called for an interview for sales and training manager with this company in cork next week. Does anyone know anything about this company or work for them. I live in the midlands and i am thinking of relocating to Cork if i get the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

it will be door to door sales...most likely airtricity...you will get the job no problem.. be prepared for long long walks around housing estates or alone in the countryside ...you will get dropped off and collected around 9pm in a designated pick up point..guarnteed it will be commission only..
    if you have any sense you will stay clear ...They also tend to brainwash people into thinking that the world is now your oyster and you will become part of a brainwashed team of misfortunates...
    I personally done it for a week... WITH BLUE STAR ACQUISITIONS..:eek:...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Thank for your reply. I am not going to go for the interview its a 3 hour drive not worth it. I have done some research and I am best to stay clear from this job. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

Anyone interested about work for AVON?
    Good profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Michael525 wrote: »
    First time poster here but after doing some homework on these marketing company's I'd like to drop my experience.

Much like many of the stories here i was out of work, i registered my CV with jobs.ie, applied for a few jobs that fitted my qualifications but no joy. A few weeks had passed and i got an email from a company asking if i'd be able to attend an interview the following week, no mention of what the job was but i said id chance it anyway.

I put on my best togs and arrived for the interview 20 mins early... the first this that struck me was the office environment, it seemed a bit "laid back", almost a bit too laid back for my liking, there was one room that looked like a training room of sorts and there was people sitting around on the floor with terrible dance music blaring :confused. I didnt pay too much attention to this and i went in and introduced myself, I filled all the paperwork and waited to be called for my interview. At this stage i still had no idea what the job entailed :confused:

Shortly after i was called, but to my surprise the lady i was sitting beside was called at the same time, we were essentially pitched off against each other in the interview. The guy behind the desk went on with all the stuff mentioned here already, he boasted about how much he earned, his merc SL500 :rolleyes:, his big house etc... So we carried on and i sold myself pretty well, at the end of the interview he asked me to wait back and the other girl left, he started giving me his life story about how he was a down and out in the gutter and that this company brought him to new levels of success etc etc... He said they were a big family, not a business and he wanted me to join the family, now at this stage alarm bells were going off, it was almost like a cult more than a business...and it gets better..

He asked me to come in at 10am the following morning for some intensive training, (still no idea what the job was, although I had gathered that it was some sort of sales job). I arrived the following morning and met my team, they were all very similar to the person I had already met, they all fed me with this zero to hero story and told me they were all working towards that ultimate managers job :rolleyes:. It was only in the car on the way to the estate we were working that I was actually told what we were doing. We set about our d2d thing and I have to admit I admired what the guy I was paired with could do, he could literally engage anyone in conversation and before I knew it he had literally ran in their front door and was sitting at their kitchen table.Its not a skill that everyone master. It didn’t take me very long to detest what these people do however.. When he got into the house he became very pushy and arrogant, he would completely disregard what the homeowner would say and begin filling out contract documents in their names and demanding that they sign, I was genuinely embarrassed to be associated with this person and at one stage I apologised to one homeowner.

After a 12 hour day and 2 sales out of 120 doors knocked we went back to the office, this person was still telling me they were more than a company more a big happy family and how they all live together and regularly have themed nights out etc.. ( I got that cult feeling again)…

I know ive rambled on a bit but to finish I went in the following morning to tell the boss that I didn’t think I was the candidate they were looking for and I would have to part company with them. He was pretty sound about it but he told me of all the opportunities id be missing and all the fast cars and big houses etc…He told me id always be welcome to call in to say hi and whatnot.

I met the whole gang of them out in a pub two nights later and every single one of them snubbed me, I even noticed one of them throwing me the stink eye on a few occasions.. I was literally gobsmacked but the whole thing, they really were a proper bunch of freaks!

To conclude, in my opinion there is a very good reason they don’t fully advertise exactly what it is they do, they seem to attempt to pressure young naïve individuals who are easily led into borderline slavery, while at the same time brainwashing some sort of indelible positivity into them…

Stay well away!
    and the company was???

• Advertisement

simple sales and marketing????????????????? any1 no this crowd??? mate goin for interview monday in dublin, their website says lots of stuff quite impresive really, however it dont say what the hell the company sale??? any1 no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

simple sales and marketing????????????????? any1 no this crowd??? mate goin for interview monday in dublin, their website says lots of stuff quite impresive really, however it dont say what the hell the company sale??? any1 no

Never heard of them myself but I guarantee you it's one of these outfits . Is his interview in Capel Street or Talbot Street by any chance ?

Delancey wrote: »
    Never heard of them myself but I guarantee you it's one of these outfits . Is his interview in Capel Street or Talbot Street by any chance ?

no bluebell, av alook at website, gonna ring them meself 2morrow, will post anwswer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

http://advertsjobs.boards.ie/jobs/xr-marketing/no-experience-but-a-fast-learner-sales-starts/1359249?utm_source=boards-ie&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=ajs

Are the powers that be here allowing those folks to advertise?

I know they are only after launching the site but hopefully they're not chasing the easy money.

pithater1 wrote: »
    http://advertsjobs.boards.ie/jobs/xr-marketing/no-experience-but-a-fast-learner-sales-starts/1359249?utm_source=boards-ie&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=ajs

Are the powers that be here allowing those folks to advertise?

I know they are only after launching the site but hopefully they're not chasing the easy money.

Have to agree with you , disappointing to see this garbage up on a site frequented by the users of boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

LOOK AT THIS FOR A LOAD OF DOGS TESTICLES....

JUST AFTER GOOGLING IT..:cool:..

November 14, 2011

Have Fun – Make Money: Blue Steel Acquisitions, Google, and You Tube Agree

There’s no doubt about it, success begins with having fun and loving what you do. Ask any company and anyone who is successful and they’ll tell you the exact same thing – their career is their passion and they have fun pursuing it. Companies such as Blue Steel Acquisitions, Google, and You Tube are all capitalising on this idea and creating work environments that are fun, creative, and support a healthy work-life balance.
    With the announcement this week that Google Headquarters in Dublin are planning the development of an on-site swimming pool for their workers it’s clear that a happy, stress free environment is the key to increasing performance and results in the workplace. The list of office perks at Google also includes a gym, pool table, table tennis and football, as well as an X-Box and drum kit. Google provides these facilities because they believe that if you’re happy you’re going to be more productive and are going to have more good ideas that will move the company forward.
    You Tube has also followed suit, and while sales figures and performance targets are still important, their workers are able to work out any stress by playing table tennis, going to the on-site gym, playing X-Box or PlayStation, or visiting the on-site masseuse. By providing these facilities You Tube ensures that their workers are too busy enjoying themselves to be overwhelmed by their responsibilities. It is this corporate commitment to creating a great atmosphere that has led to You Tube and Google’s huge success.
    Blue Steel Acquisitions in Cork also operates on the exact same principles. Managing Director Sarah Bennett says “It’s always been really important to me to have fun at work every day and enjoy what I do. I believe that you have to love your career and be passionate about what you do in order to be successful. That’s why we’ve always created a great environment at Blue Steel Acquisitions that encourages an entrepreneurial spirit and gives people the room they need to grow.” A typical day at Blue Steel Acquisitions includes listening to music, playing PlayStation, games such as Pictionary, Charades, and quizzes, as well as outdoor sports including hurling, soccer, French cricket, and handball. By creating this fun and competitive environment Blue Steel Acquisitions ensures, like Google and You Tube that they consistently hit their sales targets and goals, and achieve the highest possible standards in everything they do.
    ← Back to Press Releases

Who writes this shyte ? The word ' Fun ' in the context of Blue Steel gives me the sh1ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Delancey wrote: »
    Have to agree with you , disappointing to see this garbage up on a site frequented by the users of boards.ie

Not only that - a site that's part of the same group as boards.ie

Also, Blue Steel?

3lxEGp6ismutrhwqC8qK30x2o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

That is an awesome picture in fairness ha ha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://search.hireland.ie/sales-agent-job-242

How can they let them advertise these jobs on sites that are meant to be solving the unemployment problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

How can they let them advertise these jobs on sites that are meant to be solving the unemployment problem?

I suppose they are laying out their cards in black and white.

I am not a fan of these jobs at all but at least this one is saying that the job is commission only so it serves anybody who applies for it right if they do get burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pithater1 wrote: »
    I suppose they are laying out their cards in black and white.

I am not a fan of these jobs at all but at least this one is saying that the job is commission only so it serves anybody who applies for it right if they do get burned.

Agreed, they're being pretty upfront about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Agree completely, this hireland site is supposed to be a job pledge site, not free advertising for commission only jobs. I have doubts about this site, not sure what the agenda is but it is certainly not for the support and provision of real, in other words paid work. Friend of mine emailed them over 4 weeks ago enquiring about posting 4 read jobs and is still waiting for a reply. Four people have been hired and started work a week ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slim91

hey,
    Has anyone heard of simple sales and marketing??
    Applied for a job last week and have been offered an interview tomorrow.
    Their website looks impressive but I am aware of the bad rep theses types of d2d sales businesses have.

The job description says its a basic salary + commission, i live fairly far away from where their based so would be grateful for any info past experiences with these people i treck out!

cheers

I have to say I would be very surprised if there is a basic salary , cannot say I've heard of them but they're almost certainly a re-named rubbish outfit like the rest.
    I wouldn't waste the petrol TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

vikingdub wrote: »
    Agree completely, this hireland site is supposed to be a job pledge site, not free advertising for commission only jobs. I have doubts about this site, not sure what the agenda is but it is certainly not for the support and provision of real, in other words paid work. Friend of mine emailed them over 4 weeks ago enquiring about posting 4 read jobs and is still waiting for a reply. Four people have been hired and started work a week ago.

Hireland is a voluntary organisation and everyone involved is working on it in their spare time. There have been so many pledges that they are struggling to keep up with the admin. There is no hidden agenda, just a group of people doing their best with very limited resources. I know the people involved in Hireland, if you would like to PM me your friends details I'll pass them on if they still have jobs to pledge.

And you are right, Hireland is primarily about pledges and stimulating positive thinking about hiring in Irish companies. The free job board is an extra resource for companies who want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Looked through most of this thread and decided to throw in my experience on the matter.

I worked for a couple of months with XR Marketing when it was based in Galway. I had moved to live with my girlfriend for the summer and needed a job pretty sharpish. It was always only going to be a summer job and as I was still a student the dole was not an option.

The initial experience was the same as most mentioned on here. Vague advertisement about the exact type of job it was and extravagant promises about the amount of money that could be made. Anyway, as it wasn't part of my long-term career I gave it a shot anyway, even after I found out that it was door-to-door (Eircom Phonewatch).

The outcome for me was...ambiguous. There have been many descriptions of these places being described as a cult and that is pretty close to the truth. When some of the managers describe it as a 'family' it often seems like it is meant more in a 'Mafioso' sense. When you leave, you're out of the family and contact is pretty much cut off from that. The company don't want to be brought down by 'neg-heads'. From my experience I don't recall many who applied not getting a position. If it's 100% commission then why not give everybody a job. It does the company no harm. However while working there nobody is ever told of somebody who quit but rather they are told that they failed their interview/assessment and were not suitable for the role.

The 'ringing the bell' procedure is laughable and a trip to London to a 'rally' was one of the most insane experiences I've ever had. People dancing in the aisles to cheesy dance music as some pointless prize is given to managers, team-leaders and salespersons. It seemed that almost everybody got a prize. Actually, the time of the rally in London I was so broke that I had to walk back to the hotel after a night out as I couldn't afford a taxi...that tells its own story really.

However, the people that I worked with were quite nice in the main. Most of them were deluded, but nice all the same. Incidentally I noticed a few familiar faces in the photos on the AppCo/Cobra website so some of them have still survived and hopefully they are doing ok.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not a great salesperson. However a little too many customers pulled out for my liking and my 'bond' (which I received after I left) was considerably smaller than it was meant to be. I got into debt with my girlfriend as I hadn't enough money for rent even though I was working Monday-Saturday from 10a.m. to maybe 9 or 10p.m. Even after that there were many work nights out and although there was no obligation to go, you really felt you were missing out by not going. So basically it takes over your life (like a cult!). The result of all this was that I broke up with my girlfriend (I had moved to be with her and ended up never seeing her although she also worked awkward hours ) and I ended up in debt to her (not by a huge amount or anything, but it was still uncomfortable).

However, somehow looking back on it I don't feel it was the worst experience in the world. I wasn't planning on making millions or staying long-term. If I had stayed longer I would hope that I would have realized that it was bad for me and I'd say that there were many who were naive like me but couldn't stop and ended up in much more dire straits than I.

After graduating I had a couple of legitimate sales roles (salary + commission) that I certainly would not have got without this experience, although I didn't last too long in either of them and I eventually decided never to touch another sales job again, legitimate or otherwise. I still actually talk about the job any time I have a job interview as it makes for a good test of my willingness to work and trying to survive on 100% commission can be one of the hardest things to do (I may over-elaborate slightly on how good my ability was!).

So in conclusion I have mixed feelings about the experience. I was incredibly naive and looking back at it out I laugh at myself and my willingness to do such a ridiculous job for pittance. However I did certainly learn something from the experience and it did give enough experience to get a legitimate sales job. And as i said, it still has a place on my CV.

It is essentially a pyramid scheme and therefore some people do make money out of it but if you surveyed everybody who ever worked for these companies (including those who still work there) I'd suggest that only about 0.1% would get anywhere near the figures advertised on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Yip

is the Impala Direct LTD on Castle street the same as the
    one on Capel Street mentioned in this thread?
    any1 had any experience with them lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I very nearly fell for it with "Roar Promotions" at 76 Talbot Street just today, myself...

I got a call from them regarding a CV and cover letter I'd idly sent in based on an ad on adverts.ie... the mentions of the job itself and what was involved were very vague, as were any mention of any kind of pay, but the upshot was that I had an interview/meeting all lined up for tomorrow and was told that I was lucky!- my CV was selected and shortlisted out of over 300 applications!!! And I was even luckier!!! My meeting was going to be with the managing director!!!

"Great!", I thought... despite not having much info about what the job was about... but sure I'd find out more tomorrow, eh?

Then the thought hits me... I'd better learn a bit about the company so I can understand & identify with them better in the interview ... so off I go to google them so I can get a bit of research on them... and I find this very thread (also this Daily Mirror blog and some other bits and pieces). Oh and when I googled their phone number, it seems they've the same phone number (and address) as both Carpe Diem Marketing and Spire Marketing.

So this is very quickly followed by an angry mutter of "f**k this!" and a quick phone call back to them...

They answer "hello, 76 Talbot Street?" instead of "hello, Roar Promotions?"... (if alarm bells hadn't been ringing earlier, they were now!)... the girl I was dealing with is busy (no doubt on another of her "short" list of calls to get someone else into an interview) so I've to leave a message for her to call me back... which she does... from a mobile... 2 minutes later.

I tell her something's come up and I want to cancel tomorrow. I'm asked if I want to reschedule instead of cancelling, and she again stresses that the meeting is "with the managing director" in a voice that suggests that this should really impress me and I'm missing out here. I insist that no, I want to cancel it altogether. She persists and asks "do you mind me asking why?" and I tell her "something's come up that would prevent me from working with you.".

This is met by "Do you mind me asking what?" to which I say "I do mind going into any detail actually, that's not something I can do apart from saying another job has come up for me and I want to cancel THIS meeting completely. I no longer want an interview for your company". She then tries a while longer to convince me that I'm making a mistake... and I reassure her that I'm certainly not and end the call in as polite a way I can.

Now I could have told her that I'd taken a (very) little time to research her company, that they sounded like absolute scam artists, that they had nothing to offer me and that I'd rather eat 500 litres of horse manure than "work" for them, but I decided to be polite and simply tell her that "something else had come up", but she then goes into persistent mode, trying to bully me and practically guilt-trip me into taking the interview.

I kinda feel like I've dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Claire

Bard wrote: »
    I very nearly fell for it with "Roar Promotions" at 76 Talbot Street just today, myself....

Hi Bard,

Thanks for letting us know. These "jobs" are stricly not allowed on our site and we have now banned the account.

All jobs posted on Adverts.ie are checked regularly but the way this job was posted didn't raise any alarms with us and it should have.

I sincerely apologize for the time you wasted on this.

Best of luck with your job search.

Claire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hi Bard,

Thanks for letting us know. These "jobs" are stricly not allowed on our site and we have now banned the account.

All jobs posted on Adverts.ie are checked regularly but the way this job was posted didn't raise any alarms with us and it should have.

Claire

Thanks for the swift action! Fair play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kautostoned

Hi Bard,

Claire

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/experienced-electricity-and-gas-residential-sales-advisers-required-in-portlaoise/1042611

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/sales-agents-required-to-sign-up-gas-customers-to-a-16-discount-on-bord-gais-rates-ote-600pw/1042623

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/commission-sales-internship-programmes-laois/1042615

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/sales-apprenticeships-available-portlaoise-and-mullingar/1042638

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/paid-sales-internships-in-dun-laoghaire-learn-earn/1042659

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/paid-sales-internships-in-mullingar-learn-earn/1042670

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/sales-apprenticeships-available-in-swords-help-people-save-up-to-16-on-gas-and-electricity/1042646

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/billsave-ie/paid-sales-internships-in-new-portlaoise-office/1042700

Claire, good to see you guys at adverts.ie are not willing to let these people advertise their "jobs" on your site. I just hope your rule applies to all of these so called 'employers'. Countless ads on adverts.ie, all for the same thing. Let's hope no vulnerable desperate jobseekers fall for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kautostoned

Could have just reported "all jobs by billsave.ie" really

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DubCRule

i had a story similar to many here a few years back, think it was PMD marketing. stupidly applied for a few more. decided not to go to blue steel acquisitions today after readin a thread here. any1 know anythin about ACT Organisation???

Advertisement