Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

noodler wrote: »
    Everyone here who has dealt with them should contact ASAI.

that has been done.

Darragh wrote: »
    BOARDS.IE EDIT: Protea Direct have been in touch with us asking us to remove this thread or all mentions of their company. We don't do this as we believe that honest feedback is essential. We did invite Protea Direct to answer on thread or participate in the conversation, but they have refused as they "do not want to encourage or discuss the matter any further."

I have edited posts below by adding points where necessary to show where the conversation is general and not directly about Protea Direct Ltd.

Thanks

Darragh

Should have just deleted the thread then, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Des wrote: »
    that has been done.

Not just one or two complaints in a full thread. I mean every single person posting here who dealt with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

noodler wrote: »
    Not just one or two complaints in a full thread. I mean every single person posting here who dealt with them.

I've done that. ASAI thank me for my input, aknowledge that they have received a number of complaints about these ads, and are currently looking into the matter.

I also reported the ads to the job website in particular, and they asked me for specifics, and I haven't heard from them since

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Should have just deleted the thread then, in fairness.
    Why? So other people can fall foul of their incurrate advertising of jobs?

There's so little difference between multi-level marketing and pyramid schemes that the only distinguishable difference is legal status imo.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    There's so little difference between multi-level marketing and pyramid schemes that the only distinguishable difference is legal status imo.

And thats down to you not having to actually invest any cash into it at the start. Thats really the only difference that I can see.

The guy that I did the observation day with was saying that you can set up your own branch, and that the "company" will provide 1st months rent and equipment, and after that you're on your own.

So you can go from knocking on people's doors, to having your own business in a year. His words exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wonder if you could set up your branch for a month, getting the company to 'rent' your own premises ;)

Would be nice to give some of these companies a taste of their own sharp practices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DevilsTemptress

They are still doing the same thing, I only came across this thread after I went to the interview. Sadly they are not the only ones doing it. Its my second time in a week that the same situation!!
    They should not be allowed to do this, people are being brought to interviews with the promised of one job and then in the interview it slowly unravels that months and months of door to door sales are to be done in order to acquire the position in which you INITIALLY applied for.

they are an absolute disgrace and as a whole should either be 100% honest and upfront or get the hell out of Ireland!!!

As I am sure you can tell they have infuriated me.

I am honest hardworking and now jobless (only as a result of the economic downturn) these people ought to be ashamed of themselves! HOW DARE THEY!!! HOW DARE THEY.

When did you apply for the job, can I ask?

I have a letter dated 20th January from the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland stating that Protea Direct were recommended not to continue running the advertisement, as the ASAI had indeed found it to be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Looks like they are still advertising the same jobs using the same Job Details.

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1025306

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

krieture wrote: »
    Looks like they are still advertising the same jobs using the same Job Details.

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1025306

LOL
    Protea Direct Ltd provides the opportunity for people to get their foot in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Yeah i got a good giggle out of that aswell

It was the other day (2 days ago) they boil my blood doing that.

Door to door sales I don't agree with anyway! If the product is good enough it will sell itself! No Door to door / telesales needed!! Grrrr:mad::mad::mad::mad::eek:

What is the problem with those people

Oh I too have now submitted a formal complaint about them and one other similar company who also "duped" me!
    I'm fighting back now - feel better now having done something about it!!

If the ASAI are taking action, maybe those of you that have been hoodwinked by Protea Direct, should take the matter up with the ASAI if you haven't already, especially if they're still advertising the "jobs!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bdog

hi ive just been for the first interview today with protea i was under the impression that i would be going in at mid level management,but after reading some of these comments im having second thoughts about going back tomorrow,no wonder the second phase takes 8 hours,seems like they want a days work for free !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Bdog wrote: »
    hi ive just been for the first interview today with protea i was under the impression that i would be going in at mid level management,but after reading some of these comments im having second thoughts about going back tomorrow,no wonder the second phase takes 8 hours,seems like they want a days work for free !!!!!!

Only having second thoughts-have you not read this thread? ah sure just for the laugh go in for the second interview and walk around for 8 hours selling door to door:pac:

Bdog wrote: »
    I wouldnt even consider it - you are talking months & months of door to door sales!!!!
    They are a joke!
    If they are THAT good a company they should advertise the job for WHAT IT IS - The girl interviewed me said that there were 100's of other applicants - I simply pointed out they are applying for the job advertised NOT the one being given

I have reported them to the relevant boards I had enough

When did you apply for the job, can I ask?

I have a letter dated 20th January from the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland stating that Protea Direct were recommended not to continue running the advertisement, as the ASAI had indeed found it to be misleading.

I got my response from ASAI today. They aknowledge other complaints, and have given me a draft of the meeting held about this ad, dated 20th Jan.

My eyes were drawn to the advertisers response. Protea basically said that they're sorry, will re word their ads mentioning the commission only pay structure, and that the nature of the role included face to face sales:confused:

So I went to the job website I originally applied from, and guess what. Same Title, same job description. 2 fingers to the ASAI IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nevaeh.aaric

I have an interview with them tomorrow morning, went to the first interview of another company. They are all the same. when I further enquired about the door to door selling and commision only salary.Avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Denise Miley

I like many of you was called for a 2nd interview for customer care, when I went back they wanted me to go out on the road for a days observation. I explained that I did not apply for the sales position but they did not want to know, said that they had no customer care position to fill. It is a complete scam but I am taking matters further as I think they are exploiting people. STAY WELL AWAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Why not just take all the crap they give you to sell and head home.
    If they send the guards after you just tell them you were observing the product from the comfort of your own home and hand it back :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I like many of you was called for a 2nd interview for customer care, when I went back they wanted me to go out on the road for a days observation. I explained that I did not apply for the sales position but they did not want to know, said that they had no customer care position to fill. It is a complete scam but I am taking matters further as I think they are exploiting people. STAY WELL AWAY!

report them to asai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Denise Miley

Hi all, I have been in contact with Joe Duffy radio show and will on between 1.45 - 3pm today. If anyone else would like to join in please call them now
    01 2083263. Protea are going to join in and no doubt will try to say that they are not advertising positions that do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

This is being discussed now on Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Interesting stuff!

I feckin missed it, is it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I feckin missed it, is it over?

yea, podcast ftw

How soon does the podcast go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

How soon does the podcast go up?

10/15 mins after the whole show ends.

so about 3.15

they might go back to it, before it ends.

• Advertisement

Suppose, there's only a while left.

I've to go out though, so I'll listen in when I'm out, or grab it later.

Advertisement