Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

DubCRule wrote: »
    any1 know anythin about ACT Organisation???

All you need to know about them is that they are exactly like the rest , same Modus Operandi as the rest of them , same crap terms of ' employment ' , etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DubCRule

Delancey wrote: »
    All you need to know about them is that they are exactly like the rest , same Modus Operandi as the rest of them , same crap terms of ' employment ' , etc.

kinda thought as much. i will b cancelling dat 1 too. thanks for these threads, saved me wasted journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bard wrote: »
    Then the thought hits me... I'd better learn a bit about the company so I can understand & identify with them better in the interview ... so off I go to google them so I can get a bit of research on them... and I find this very thread

This is what I love about this thread. It pops up when people go searching for info on the companies.

Best of luck with your job search Bard.

This is what I love about this thread. It pops up when people go searching for info on the companies.

Yeah , I'd say these companies loathe this thread , given their high staff turnover its essential that they find a ready supply of willing ' cannon fodder ' - it's safe to say this thread has saved more than a few people a lot of wasted time and petrol. Long may it continue......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Delancey wrote: »
    Yeah , I'd say these companies loathe this thread , given their high staff turnover its essential that they find a ready supply of willing ' cannon fodder ' - it's safe to say this thread has saved more than a few people a lot of wasted time and petrol. Long may it continue......

Great, you're right Delancy, just saved me 60 miles' journey for a 'wonderful' :D work hard play hard job with Clearwater Advertising.

Maybe door to door works for some people but I paid a fortune one week to have my kids minded so I could do market research. I only got one survey done!!! I just don't like being there like the 'hungry dog at the door'.

The patronising nonsense about the Managing Director selecting my CV herself and a sing song voice asking me, as if I was a child, the rhetorical question; Wasn't that great? It got my alarms blaring so I came on here. KNEW it was false. Led up the garden path with a bucket of s***. It's too expensive to traipse around the country, Clear Advertising is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

All scams. how can you work for a company when you are based solely on commission and are classed as a sole trader. surely that should mean you should also be able to keep your own hours and roughly do as you see fit to complete the job, so why do many of these places make you go to the office in the morning for these "training" meetings where you throw a ball around or something like that ans try to make sales pitches to each other. all you need to know is there silly mantras like how to kiss and kill and conversation or some rubbish like that.

also as a note, how many of these companys are employed by the likes of aritricity or eircom and are not given the details of customers who have signed up already. i have airtricity yet still i get a call every couple of weeks or months asking to sign up. holy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

allibastor wrote: »
    All scams. how can you work for a company when you are based solely on commission and are classed as a sole trader. surely that should mean you should also be able to keep your own hours and roughly do as you see fit to complete the job

Please be careful what terms you use, this thread has been a massive pain to moderate. Crap job does not necessarily mean a scam.

As an aside, plenty of sole traders have to work the hours they're told to.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

sole traders may have to do the hours they are told,but these companies tell you that you are self employed,that you are your own boss,yet the amount of bitching that goes on when you need to take time off for a hospital appointment is unreal.i know one lad that was sick for a week and had certs to prove it was actually told to **** off out of the building.on a side note anyone that had dealings with s*** from pmd/mkm might be happy to knew he is no longer working there as he was asked to leave by perdm management.on the downside he is looking at setting up another one of these companies.

Mod note: I've blanked out the name, 'cos these threads can be troublesome for boards.ie. A reminder, please don't name names. We want these threads to continue, because they provide valuable information for people. But that requires some restraint about what's said.

Eoin wrote: »
    Please be careful what terms you use, this thread has been a massive pain to moderate. Crap job does not necessarily mean a scam.

As an aside, plenty of sole traders have to work the hours they're told to.

yes but sole traders have the right to work hours which they find agreeable also, and they have better rights and access to information then these companies, believe me i have been a sole trader and also worked for one of these companies.

i also use the term scam in that they are not up-front about the job and give very mis-leading answers to questions and do not facilitate good information to employees.

thanks,

giving people a heads up here that MKM are now calling themselves encore aquisitations.don't want people to get caught out thinking its a new company.

• Advertisement

statomosh wrote: »
    giving people a heads up here that MKM are now calling themselves encore aquisitations.don't want people to get caught out thinking its a new company.

its funny cause MKM direct are still advertising, and encore have been around for ages. i think they are Dublin or kilkenny or something. i wonder if they merge the two "companies" or some rubbish like that.

wouldnt be surprised if they are merging them.mkm is being rebranded again soon as CWM(i think) and encore is only temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nibblesworth

As others have said, thank god for this thread. It's saved many people from wasting their time with these scammers. It would be great if this thread could be stickied so people could see it straight away.

All these so called companies are the same, taking advantage of people that are desperate for a job in these recessionary times. Hiding the fact that it's a door knocking, commission only, joke of a job by advertising it as 'marketing consultant' 'face to face customer advisor' or some other bullsh*t title.

I think a list of these companies is in order for any potential jobseeker, I'll start and hopefully you guys can add to it...

All of the companies below should be avoided like the plague. They are all commission only door knocking jobs with slave labour hours selling either Telecoms or Electricity & Gas:

MGM Marketing - Dun Laoighaire

Roar Promotions - Capel Street, Dublin

Billsave - Marine Road, Dun Laoighaire

MKM Direct - Pery Square, Limerick

CWM Marketing - (address?)

Imperial Promotions - (address?)

Encore Acquisitions - Parkmore, Galway

Intense Marketing - Talbot Street, Dublin

Blue Steel Acquisitions - Grand Parade, Cork

KH Marketing - Celbridge, Kildare

D2D Outsourcing - Sandyford, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

http://wolfram.org/scam/ds_max/index.html

If you want to find out where all these companies began use this link. It also shows you the whole psychological side to it, how they take vunerable people and use theyre vunerability to control them. Its actually very scary, their similarities to cults is incredibly obvious. I left the company after reading all the things in this link and I think if you have a family member or friend caught up in one of these scams show this to them and hopefully it might open their eyes and save them before they get in too deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommy587

I have worked with a lot of marketing firms under Appco and found them a very good company to work with as long as you have the right frame of mind, i have been working with appco for over a year and so far i have being sent to london 5 times tenerife and heading to manchester in june as working/learning holidays with expense's paid.
    i am not a MD trying to talk up the company, i just would like to tell everyone don't listen to all you read online ad give it a try. it could be the perfect job for some of you or the worst but you'll never know until you try.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommy587

http://wolfram.org/scam/ds_max/index.html

If you want to find out where all these companies began use this link. It also shows you the whole psychological side to it, how they take vunerable people and use theyre vunerability to control them. Its actually very scary, their similarities to cults is incredibly obvious. I left the company after reading all the things in this link and I think if you have a family member or friend caught up in one of these scams show this to them and hopefully it might open their eyes and save them before they get in too deep.

can you please tell me how the said company is a scam??
    there is no money taken from any body? all you do is come in get trained go sell? with a good chance to open your own office!! all people that think its a scam were just clearly **** at sales and had no people skills
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm just wondering, say I'm literally looking for pocket money over the summer, are these types of things still terrible? I've a friend who did really well at it but she had to work insanely hard and people on the street were really mean to her, but still, I've applied for all the other jobs I can think of and no one has even emailed me back :(

with these jobs you are giving up about 10-11 hours a day,five-6 days a week with the possibility of making no money that day.you could make no sales and still have to pay for lunch/travel so you could end up paying out more than you make.you are walk for 6-7 hours during the day even if it is pissing rain so i would advise you to look elsewhere for a job.i did this work for 6 months so i have experienced it.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, say I'm literally looking for pocket money over the summer, are these types of things still terrible? I've a friend who did really well at it but she had to work insanely hard and people on the street were really mean to her, but still, I've applied for all the other jobs I can think of and no one has even emailed me back :(

Whether you do it for a day or a year the fact remains is that its a crap job . Read this thread and ask yourself do you want to spend the summer doing that.
    As for your friend being on the receiving end of rudeness she needs to grasp that ther country is mired in deep recession , people cannot pay their bills yet it seems impossible to walk down a main street without being stopped by some gormless eejit flogging crap or asking for your bank account details - frankly they should be grateful that rudeness is all they have received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

tommy587 wrote: »
    can you please tell me how the said company is a scam??
    there is no money taken from any body? all you do is come in get trained go sell? with a good chance to open your own office!! all people that think its a scam were just clearly **** at sales and had no people skills
    :mad:

Very simple.

It's a new form of a pyrimad scheme known as Multi Level Marketing with a dash of social programming thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

statomosh wrote: »
    sole traders may have to do the hours they are told,but these companies tell you that you are self employed,that you are your own boss,yet the amount of bitching that goes on when you need to take time off for a hospital appointment is unreal.i know one lad that was sick for a week and had certs to prove it was actually told to **** off out of the building.on a side note anyone that had dealings with s*** from pmd/mkm might be happy to knew he is no longer working there as he was asked to leave by perdm management.on the downside he is looking at setting up another one of these companies.

Mod note: I've blanked out the name, 'cos these threads can be troublesome for boards.ie. A reminder, please don't name names. We want these threads to continue, because they provide valuable information for people. But that requires some restraint about what's said.

Well As usual the information is way off.... Number 1. I own MkM Direct Ltd. so its my company. Number 2. I was not asked to leave PerDm, I left because I didnt like how things were run, and as usual someone put a spin on it that I was asked to leave to make PerDM look good !!
    Here are some other facts you need to know I did not own PMD I worked there, I went in the field like everyone else, MkM Direct Ltd is my company and I have not changed my company or merged with Encore, they are in the Limerick area as part of the PerDm organisation, because they have a contract with that client in that area.

You really should check the reliability of your information before posting about it.

It just makes the other people on here who have true stories to tell look bad.

ladder wrote: »
    Well As usual the information is way off.... Number 1. I own MkM Direct Ltd. so its my company. Number 2. I was not asked to leave PerDm, I left because I didnt like how things were run, and as usual someone put a spin on it that I was asked to leave to make PerDM look good !!
    Here are some other facts you need to know I did not own PMD I worked there, I went in the field like everyone else, MkM Direct Ltd is my company and I have not changed my company or merged with Encore, they are in the Limerick area as part of the PerDm organisation, because they have a contract with that client in that area.

You really should check the reliability of your information before posting about it.

It just makes the other people on here who have true stories to tell look bad.

Are you still trading out of both Dublin and Limerick then, and if you have left over not liking how they run the company than fair play, it can only be a good move i suppose. also please stop advertising jobs in the construction section of Irish jobs, they also find their way to the suns job hunt section.

thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

tommy587 wrote: »
    I have worked with a lot of marketing firms under Appco and found them a very good company to work with as long as you have the right frame of mind, i have been working with appco for over a year and so far i have being sent to london 5 times tenerife and heading to manchester in june as working/learning holidays with expense's paid.
    i am not a MD trying to talk up the company, i just would like to tell everyone don't listen to all you read online ad give it a try. it could be the perfect job for some of you or the worst but you'll never know until you try.:confused:

Ya really someone should go and see what they think before they deside, after a week they'll know if they like it or not. However i wouldnt be depending on it to live off....

lala88 wrote: »
    Ya really someone should go and see what they think before they deside, after a week they'll know if they like it or not. However i wouldnt be depending on it to live off....

No you don't. Thats part of the trap. They get you to try it for a day, week whatever then try to sucker you in to it long term. Usually with stories of how much they make, how much the company makes. Some sort of faux success story & stuff about company trips away etc etc.

If its contracted represenative(ie not an employee) based purely off commission & whoever hires you gets a cut then it's a scam. It's multi level marketing which uses a product to distingush itself from a standard pyriamad scheme.

If you can't get the answers to find that out upfront that should be a major red flag.

Agent J wrote: »
    No you don't. Thats part of the trap. They get you to try it for a day, week whatever then try to sucker you in to it long term. Usually with stories of how much they make, how much the company makes. Some sort of faux success story & stuff about company trips away etc etc.

If its contracted represenative(ie not an employee) based purely off commission & whoever hires you gets a cut then it's a scam. It's multi level marketing which uses a product to distingush itself from a standard pyriamad scheme.

If you can't get the answers to find that out upfront that should be a major red flag.

Whos to say someone wouldnt be happy doing the job after seeing what its like? Im not trying to defend companys like this but at the end of the day its up to the person themselfs if they like it or not.

How does it being commission only make it a scam? Even if you had a wage they would still be getting a cut. If it to be a scam they would have to be taking money off you. Theres always been commission only jobs and nothing was said, so why now do people think there a scam?

Could any business be considered multi level marketing or a pyramad scheme? A shop buys something with the aim of selling it at a profit is that not what happens with pyramad schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

TRY Going to the welfare offfice after being on a door to door comission only job for 6mts and you are skint...you havent put up any credits as you are self employed and most likely have been scraping the arse of the bucket trying to make ends meet..you will walk out of the welfare office and head for your nearest saint vincent de paul for assistance as you are going to get nothing off the goverment....maybe you could try in opening your own office and getting poor misfortunes to go door to door for free to line your pocket:D...

Whos to say someone wouldnt be happy doing the job after seeing what its like? Im not trying to defend companys like this but at the end of the day its up to the person themselfs if they like it or not.

How does it being commission only make it a scam? Even if you had a wage they would still be getting a cut. If it to be a scam they would have to be taking money off you. Theres always been commission only jobs and nothing was said, so why now do people think there a scam?

Could any business be considered multi level marketing or a pyramad scheme? A shop buys something with the aim of selling it at a profit is that not what happens with pyramad schemes?

You're engaging in "Whataboutry". What if someone likes being a slave? What if someone likes working for free? What if someone is happy to invest in an obvious ponzi scheme? It's not relevant to the point at hand.

These companies thrive on not disclosing what their structure & pay is really like. They avoid questions on it for as long as possible.

Look up and research Multi level marketing for yourself. I would also strongly suggest reading up on Pyrimad schemes as well as you seem to have a misunderstanding if you confuse them normal retail operations.

It's very simple. You aren't an employee of this company and anything you make the person who hires you gets a %. They pay part of that % higher up their own sales line & so on.

They sell you that someday you'll have your own sales team/office etc & you'll get a % from them.

The interest is in the company & people to hire more people to gain more % of their sales rather than sell the product. They hire people to be sales fodder.

You're engaging in "Whataboutry". What if someone likes being a slave? What if someone likes working for free? What if someone is happy to invest in an obvious ponzi scheme? It's not relevant to the point at hand.

These companies thrive on not disclosing what their structure & pay is really like. They avoid questions on it for as long as possible.

Look up and research Multi level marketing for yourself. I would also strongly suggest reading up on Pyrimad schemes as well as you seem to have a misunderstanding if you confuse them normal retail operations.

It's very simple. You aren't an employee of this company and anything you make the person who hires you gets a %. They pay part of that % higher up their own sales line & so on.

They sell you that someday you'll have your own sales team/office etc & you'll get a % from them.

The interest is in the company & people to hire more people to gain more % of their sales rather than sell the product. They hire people to be sales fodder.

No one works from free for any of theses compnays do they? They can leave when ever they like so how are they a slave?

They never say that your an employee of the company. In any job the person who hire you gets a % of what you make for them do they not?

If people do stick at it and put in work theres nothing to say they wont have there own office, may be made out to be easier then it is but can be done so dont see how its a scam or scheme.

Again is the aim of a compnay not to make more sales and more money? How ealse would they do that without getting more people?

No one works from free for any of theses compnays do they? They can leave when ever they like so how are they a slave?

They never say that your an employee of the company. In any job the person who hire you gets a % of what you make for them do they not?

If people do stick at it and put in work theres nothing to say they wont have there own office, may be made out to be easier then it is but can be done so dont see how its a scam or scheme.

Again is the aim of a compnay not to make more sales and more money? How ealse would they do that without getting more people?

You're cherry picking from my post. See the ones you highlighed & then just missed the rest of it?

Are you intentionally trying to misrepresent what i am saying?

Do you know how a pyrimad scheme works?

Do you have an interest any any of these companies by the way?

• Advertisement

You're cherry picking from my post. See the ones you highlighed & then just missed the rest of it?

Are you intentionally trying to misrepresent what i am saying?

Do you know how a pyrimad scheme works?

Do you have an interest any any of these companies by the way?

Things i highlighed were the parts i was making points about, all true you say things like ''working for free'' ''being a slave'' etc all not true. I have no interest in any of them but did work for one of them something i assume you havent?

Advertisement