Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

hi i got a call today from this compayn for a job interview and was wondering if its that self employed door to door nonsense or a proper job??? any help will be appriecated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

hi i got a call today from this compayn for a job interview and was wondering if its that self employed door to door nonsense or a proper job??? any help will be appriecated

crap door to door commission only rubbish - don't waste your time

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

the company that was called mkm direct based in pery square limerick has now changed name to cms and is based in charlotte quay in case anyone gets a call from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

meet a guy that recently got promoted to assistant manager with one of these companies.the ****er had the neck to try taking the piss out of my job,he went on to tell me how he is making 800 euro a week,my response was if he was making so much why was he wearing the same thread bare suit he had a year ago and why did he need to go onto the field to make extra money.hope he enjoyed walking around in the pissing rain today,prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

statomosh wrote: »
    meet a guy that recently got promoted to assistant manager with one of these companies.the ****er had the neck to try taking the piss out of my job,he went on to tell me how he is making 800 euro a week,my response was if he was making so much why was he wearing the same thread bare suit he had a year ago and why did he need to go onto the field to make extra money.hope he enjoyed walking around in the pissing rain today,prick

tis the brainwashing. They tell you how much they make all the time, yet still drive rubbish cars, have old shoes and suits and no expensive things like watches or phones or anything. Maybe its what thye made the company and they feel its what they earn so to speak. its just brainwashing man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

so if u were soooooooooooooo good at it why u leave??? and how much were u gettin per week??? and tell us what u were selling?

MOD-NOTE: Please don't use text-speak on boards.ie Thank-you.

was on a solid 300 min a week...that was the worst of the worst...my average would have been up over 450, with one or two weeks clearing 800.

its a soul destroying job, and actually since my previous posts I've seen the ads on jobs.ie etc, and have to beg people to not do it...the experience is great, but their underhand way of advertising the jobs as 'graduate wanted'....

i was literally laughed at for having a degree, and saying i was leaving the job to pursue college.

the whole thing stinks...sure if you need cash and are able to sell (i sold security) fair enough...but dont think this is a answer to long term unemployment...its a quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

allibastor wrote: »
    tis the brainwashing. They tell you how much they make all the time, yet still drive rubbish cars, have old shoes and suits and no expensive things like watches or phones or anything. Maybe its what thye made the company and they feel its what they earn so to speak. its just brainwashing man

it goes further though...

sometimes they do have the flash phones, and then then sneakily try get people to get onto expensive plans...

spending money, in a contract...stuck into the job...its just so underhand...

i would only recommend these jobs, if youre strong enough to get back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

El Spearo wrote: »
    it goes further though...

sometimes they do have the flash phones, and then then sneakily try get people to get onto expensive plans...

spending money, in a contract...stuck into the job...its just so underhand...

i would only recommend these jobs, if youre strong enough to get back out.

Thing is though, if your strong enough you wont stay there that long in the first place as you will spot the brain washing a mile off. I remeber being there and thinking what a joke, these lads all playing games with a pen throwing it back and forth with sales pitches. in once sense it was good as quick fire sales, but it was just so brain washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Has anyone heard of bifta ltd, based in drogheda? It's a telesales position, a search on the company gives its category as direct marketing.

Are these positions usually commission only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Has anyone heard of bifta ltd, based in drogheda? It's a telesales position, a search on the company gives its category as direct marketing.

Are these positions usually commission only?

Almost certainly commission only , if it carried a basic you would find you would get the boot rapid fire if you fail to hit targets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

There are some amount of complete wasters posting in this thread. Just because youre totally ****e at sales, doesnt mean its a bad job, or a big con. If you make no money it usually amounts to one simple thing, that you have no charisma, no desire to succeed, give up too easily and are probably claiming the dole anyway and spend half your day in the bookies or the pub moaning about how tough the job is. Youre are in fact the victim of a nanny state who has given you too many benefits that you feel you are ENTITLED to and it has quelled your desire to provide for yourselves and your families. Its much easier to sit on this forum at the taxpayers expense giving excuses about why you couldnt succeed.

Its true, some people are certainly not cut out for high pressure sales and they wouldnt make any money whatever they did. They are usually the quiet, shy types who prefer to slink away in the corner. If youre a shrinking violet, sales will only highlight your character.

The problem is that most of you have been raised from a generation who expect others to give you money while you figure out where youre going with your life. I would love to see the Government stop your welfare and make you get out off your lazy arses and provide for yourself. Suddenly, you might have some motivation to try and succeed.

Ive made a lot of money from sales, and I dont mean simply walking into a high paid job, I mean out there doing the graft on the doors. Its provided me with a good standard of living and I get to enjoy more free time than anyone I know in any other normal job. I can go on holiday whenever I choose and it makes me sad when I see my friends working so many hours in the day and finding themselves just able to scrape by with their mortgage payments. The concept of a holiday for them is ridiculous, and they are actually spending most of their waking lives working to pay tax to support losers who claim welfare because they were too weak and gutless to put a bit of effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SEDM

trail man wrote: »
    Done it last november for a company based in kilkenny on behalf of a gas company.. commission only.. crap job.. made 6 sales in 2 weeks and never got paid...A **** JOB..
    Was this for FG for S.E.S.F with a one called rachael?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

@CRM_Ireland.

A Sales Job is fine. That is not what this thread is about.

These aren't sales jobs.They are variants on multi level marketing scams with a good deal of social programming thrown in.

The only people who make any money are the ones at the top of the pyrimad

Agent J wrote: »
    @CRM_Ireland.

A Sales Job is fine. That is not what this thread is about.

These aren't sales jobs.They are variants on multi level marketing scams with a good deal of social programming thrown in.

The only people who make any money are the ones at the top of the pyrimad

There are many many sales jobs spoken ill of in this thread. Ive read an awful lot of this thread and its not just scam companies that are being talked about. It seems like there is a general consensus that any commission only job is a scam, and that is quite frankly ludicrous. Anyone saying that as a rule, commission only jobs are a con/scam/brainwashing are IMO complete fools and either have no idea what they are talking about, or having tried one particular job and failed miserably, they are now going to make assumptions about every commission only job and spout drivel on here like they have some secret insider knowledge.

There are many many sales jobs spoken ill of in this thread. Ive read an awful lot of this thread and its not just scam companies that are being talked about.

It is however the majority of them. I've been watching this thread for quite sometime. Granted some of them aren't techinically illegal but that's only because the law hasn't caught up yet.

It seems like there is a general consensus that any commission only job is a scam, and that is quite frankly ludicrous.

It's a big red warning flag. If a company isn't confident to take on a staff memember as a proper employee & pay them a basic salary they they start ticking the boxes of a scam.

Of course what you really have to watch out for are the shills. They have a vested interest in getting people to at least try the "Job" because any sales they make part of it goes to them.They are people in real life & who come on threads like these to convince people that commission only isn't actually that bad & if they stick out a little longer & work that bit harder they'll hit the pot of gold.

Agent J wrote: »
    It is however the majority of them. I've been watching this thread for quite sometime. Granted some of them aren't techinically illegal but that's only because the law hasn't caught up yet.

It's a big red warning flag. If a company isn't confident to take on a staff memember as a proper employee & pay them a basic salary they they start ticking the boxes of a scam.

Of course what you really have to watch out for are the shills. They have a vested interest in getting people to at least try the "Job" because any sales they make part of it goes to them.They are people in real life & who come on threads like these to convince people that commission only isn't actually that bad & if they stick out a little longer & work that bit harder they'll hit the pot of gold.

If you are inferring that Im somehow trying to convince people to try a job because of some vested interest, youre barking up the wrong tree.

I would suggest that EVERYONE in receipt of welfare money due to being unemployed, should try any job being offered, and if its not for them, so be it. So long as they are not out of pocket themselves, what is the harm?

There are literally thousands of jobs where people are self-employed. Ive refused to do a job a few times before simply because I wasnt able to do it as self-employed, they insisted I could only do it as employed, which means I would be paying ridiculous sums of tax and would receive less money for my sales. It would also mean that I wouldnt have the freedom to do exactly what I want as I would be employed.

As it stands, I can work when I choose to. If I fancy not going into work because the weather is poor, or the lure of Battlefield 3 proves too much, then thats what I do.

In the direct sales industry in particular, it can be a very tough job if youre not made from the right stuff. So why would a company want to pay someone a basic when the chances are the new employee would be rubbish and they would end up costing the company money. No business sets out to lose money, and keeping people self-employed reduces the risks for the company, then that is of course what they do.

Its up to the self-employed individual to know their rights, and not be fooled into attending sales meetings, starting at a certain time and finishing at a certain time. I know a lot, if not most, sales companies try and control their self-employed staff as if they were employees. Ive even heard of people being fined for being late.....

Letting people know their rights and not being conned is the great thing about this thread, but I also think there are some people reading this and thinking that any self-employed direct sales job is a scam based on whats written here. If I had not had the experience I have now, Id certainly not do it if I had read whats here. The result of that is Id not have realised I have a particular skillset which enables people to trust me very quickly, and that in turn allows me to sell companies products with great financial benefit and freedoms for me.

The fact that direct selling is so hard, is exactly why companies pay so much money in the first place. If every Tom. Dick and Harry could do it, the commissions would be crap and Id not be doing these kind of jobs. For the people with real sales ability, people like myself, its actually very very easy for us to make our sales. I can usually obtain my weekly sales targets in the first day of the week.

If anyone is looking for a great career opportunity, then visit my website on www.shilling-r-us.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

If you are in receipt of welfare money due to being unemployed and you take a job where you have no control over the product with no basic salary you are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Cici.x wrote: »
    i just applied online for roar promotions and i was searching about it and this popped up and said its door to door sales and commission only ?? is that true??? i have an interview tomorrow and i dont want to go now!!!
    It said nothing about door to door or commission only , this is what it said ...

Sales and Client Representation.

We are currently recruiting for an enthusiastic sales and customer service team for us. Representing national high brand clients and full product training provided, this could be the opening you have been looking for.

No previous sales experience is required as we have a team ready to coach and develop you in all aspects of our business and clients, but previous customer service experience is an advantage.

Successful applicants will;
    - Have great customer service skills
    - Be a team player
    - Be looking for a new challenge
    - Be focused towards hitting targets
    -
    You will be responsible for;
    - Delivering high quality performance
    - Understanding clients and customers requirements
    - Generating a high customer service skill set
    - Promoting and delivering our client to people

Don’t delay, send your CV today...
    so whats the deal????? and it said 350-650 Per Week???
    fake or true??????????? :confused:

i fell for this one aswell. got the call the day after i emailed my cv. they told me i was lucky enough to get an interview. i checked their website and although it looks fancy its basically nonsense to make them look good. i always avoid these d2d jobs but the "client representation" made me think it was legit. seriously considering going to the interview in the morning just to let them have it and wasting my time!

big thank you to everyone on this thread for the heads up.

If you are inferring that Im somehow trying to convince people to try a job because of some vested interest, youre barking up the wrong tree.

Nah. I'm pretty sure you're not one of the types who works for Cobra/Appco or similar. Or at least i am now ;) You mentioned something about having "free time"/Holidays which is a dead give away.

Take a look at the thread though. You'll spot the real shills a mile away.

I would suggest that EVERYONE in receipt of welfare money due to being unemployed, should try any job being offered, and if its not for them, so be it. So long as they are not out of pocket themselves, what is the harm?

I disagree. If it's one of the "Jobs" (Which arent even jobs really) by one of the companies mentioned here then it isn't even worth their time. They money they waste on travel/lunch etc isn't even worth it.

Everyone should google the company name and do some research. If they are a MLM style company getting information out of them is very difficult to begin with. If they are cagey/misleading at all about the job,role, pay or system then it's time to walk away. A decent company shouldn't need to mislead potential employee/agents.

Now if you spot it is one of these BS companies & decide to hang around for the day to see exactly how they work because you have nothing better to do & are curious *Ahem*

Nothing wrong with direct sales but it is as you say. You need to work hard & have the aptitute for it. You also need to be on your guard & set your BS detector to full....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 do your thing

Hi everyone - i had to set up an account so I could share my experience with ACT Marketing in Cork. I learned a very big lesson from my time there - if it seems to good to be true, it is!

In my interview I was told I could be earning up to €1000 a week like their best salesman, that I could be flexible with my working hours and that I would be supported every day. Even though I made it clear that I was moving to Cork for this job, I was not told it was door to door sales until I arrived for my first day of work - I was led to believe I would be working in sales with businesses(and I know now in hindsight I was incredibly naive!).

When I got started my support came from a frazzled 20 year old who needed me to perform well to reach her own personal targets, who in turn was supported by an inexperienced 23 year old who needed us both to perform to reach his targets. I was under enormous pressure to learn this business quickly and was expected to work 10/12 hour days which included up to 5 hours of commuting - also not in the job description. In five weeks, only once did one person earn the €1000 in one week (minus 40% bonds) and this was the best week that anyone in the whole of Appco in Ireland had had in months. Clearly, the owner forgot that he had told me this was a weekly occurance for many people in the office and nationwide as he lauded this rare achievement!

I was also "promoted" in my 4th week, which means you join in morning meetings that newbies are not allowed to sit in on, and at these meetings I was taught ways to recruit new employees for my "crew" and how to disguise the true nature of the business until they were already in it - in other words the scam I has fallen for was explained clearly to me and I was expected to in turn sell it to other unsuspecting people!

I am disgusted with myself for having fallen for this scam, and disgusted with the people who run these branches of Appco and recruit more people for these same experiences every week.

I want to ask a question of those who claim these enterprises are not a scam; what legitimate company has to remind it's workers every day that it is NOT a pyramid scheme - and even has to go so far as to forbid workers to mention pyramid schemes in the office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Hi everyone - i had to set up an account so I could share my experience with ACT Marketing in Cork. I learned a very big lesson from my time there - if it seems to good to be true, it is!

In my interview I was told I could be earning up to €1000 a week like their best salesman, that I could be flexible with my working hours and that I would be supported every day. Even though I made it clear that I was moving to Cork for this job, I was not told it was door to door sales until I arrived for my first day of work - I was led to believe I would be working in sales with businesses(and I know now in hindsight I was incredibly naive!).

When I got started my support came from a frazzled 20 year old who needed me to perform well to reach her own personal targets, who in turn was supported by an inexperienced 23 year old who needed us both to perform to reach his targets. I was under enormous pressure to learn this business quickly and was expected to work 10/12 hour days which included up to 5 hours of commuting - also not in the job description. In five weeks, only once did one person earn the €1000 in one week (minus 40% bonds) and this was the best week that anyone in the whole of Appco in Ireland had had in months. Clearly, the owner forgot that he had told me this was a weekly occurance for many people in the office and nationwide as he lauded this rare achievement!

I was also "promoted" in my 4th week, which means you join in morning meetings that newbies are not allowed to sit in on, and at these meetings I was taught ways to recruit new employees for my "crew" and how to disguise the true nature of the business until they were already in it - in other words the scam I has fallen for was explained clearly to me and I was expected to in turn sell it to other unsuspecting people!

I am disgusted with myself for having fallen for this scam, and disgusted with the people who run these branches of Appco and recruit more people for these same experiences every week.

I want to ask a question of those who claim these enterprises are not a scam; what legitimate company has to remind it's workers every day that it is NOT a pyramid scheme - and even has to go so far as to forbid workers to mention pyramid schemes in the office?

bloody cheeky fcukers, did u earn anything decent???? what does 40% bond mean? i know a guy that does it with vodafone for a cavan company he is doing over a year they pay him 50e per contract, works his own hours nobody hassels him at all he gets 10/12 a week and he is happy with that, m point is 95% of these so called companies are usless twats the odd 1 or 2 do what is right

• Registered Users Posts: 3 do your thing

Irishjig69b - we did used to run into people selling Vodafone while we were out selling and they seemed to have a better deal alright - they were picking their own hours and where they wanted to sell their product which we could not do.

In 5 weeks with the company, I made the guts of €1000 euros. When I explained that this wasn't enough for me to live on, I was told it must be my fault due to poor attitude or not following the steps!

I was working in the charities division, trying to get monthly sponsors for a charity. 40% bonds means the company keeps 40% of your earnings for 5 months after you earn it, as a security against cancellations. e.g. If I made a sale worth €50 in January, ACT would keep €20 of it until June. Unless the person cancelled their standing order within that 5 months know as the "clawback" period. However if someone did cancel, I would lose the full €50, or the bonds from 2.5 sales. I was owed several hundred euro in bonds from this company and when I asked them for it, I was told that actually, I owed them money and that it would need to be paid! In fairness it was a great laugh when I saw the email and obviously I'm not going to give them a penny. I didn't really think I would get any of the money owed to me but I said I'd try anyway.

Whats interesting is that they did not provide any proof of the cancellations, all I received was a PDF document I could make myself which indicates that I owe them money, which I will post here if anyone is interested in seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

kings cumications in cavan to my knowledge is the best to work for (vodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Went for an interview with them a few weeks ago and was told the exact same garbage. Thankfully, after the interview, when they tried to ring me I didn't take the call as I heard enough bollix in the interview and from what I saw in the reception area.

But like yourself, I was told the same things, that I could earn 1000 a week if I put in the work, that the owner would train me so I could open my own branch in a year and I had the option of working with charities, business' or doing promotions in pubs.

Don't feel too bad about being sucked in, the only reason I saw through them was because I got sucked into something similar a few years back. Also they make no mention of the line of work or that its commission based until you actually get into the interview and I had to drag it out of him with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭suelaw

so i worked for this company for 1 month, august. i was due to get my "bonds" today, basically they keep a small percentage of what you earn and after 3 months u get it back, <snip>. so i rang to c y my bonds were not in the bank. my bonds have gone into minus....yeah right. basically they r trying to say that some of the contracts i sold were cancelled so they owe me no money. yet they cant tell me wat people cancelled and i have no way of proving they did r did not cancel. STAY AWAY from them. i joined as i was unemployed and needed a job. BIG MISTAKE

Irishjig69b - we did used to run into people selling Vodafone while we were out selling and they seemed to have a better deal alright - they were picking their own hours and where they wanted to sell their product which we could not do.

In 5 weeks with the company, I made the guts of €1000 euros. When I explained that this wasn't enough for me to live on, I was told it must be my fault due to poor attitude or not following the steps!

I was working in the charities division, trying to get monthly sponsors for a charity. 40% bonds means the company keeps 40% of your earnings for 5 months after you earn it, as a security against cancellations. e.g. If I made a sale worth €50 in January, ACT would keep €20 of it until June. Unless the person cancelled their standing order within that 5 months know as the "clawback" period. However if someone did cancel, I would lose the full €50, or the bonds from 2.5 sales. I was owed several hundred euro in bonds from this company and when I asked them for it, I was told that actually, I owed them money and that it would need to be paid! In fairness it was a great laugh when I saw the email and obviously I'm not going to give them a penny. I didn't really think I would get any of the money owed to me but I said I'd try anyway.

Whats interesting is that they did not provide any proof of the cancellations, all I received was a PDF document I could make myself which indicates that I owe them money, which I will post here if anyone is interested in seeing it.

OMG the same thing happened me, i never expected mine back. im waiting on the email now to show the cancellations and how i owe them money...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

suelaw wrote: »
    so i worked for this company for 1 month, august. i was due to get my "bonds" today, basically they keep a small percentage of what you earn and after 3 months u get it back, a little scam basically. so i rang to c y my bonds were not in the bank. my bonds have gone into minus....yeah right. basically they r trying to say that some of the contracts i sold were cancelled so they owe me no money. yet they cant tell me wat people cancelled and i have no way of proving they did r did not cancel. STAY AWAY from them. i joined as i was unemployed and needed a job. BIG MISTAKE

They told me the exact same thing, that customers had cancelled, but with no discernible proof. Live and learn I suppose.

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    They told me the exact same thing, that customers had cancelled, but with no discernible proof. Live and learn I suppose.

im on the phone now, admin totally tripped herself up. i had 12 sales, im fighting for this money

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

im on the phone now, admin totally tripped herself up. i had 12 sales, im fighting for this money

Were you selling for a charity or for a private organisation?

I suggest that you contact the organisation that your were selling for and let them know what is happening, you might mention that you are considering taking this to the media, this is not the type of attention that either private companies or charities want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Good luck, hope you get your hard-earned money back, would teach them a lesson.

Advertisement