Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭suelaw

vikingdub wrote: »
    Were you selling for a charity or for a private organisation?

I suggest that you contact the organisation that your were selling for and let them know what is happening, you might mention that you are considering taking this to the media, this is not the type of attention that either private companies or charities want.

it was a private company, they defo would not like this broadcast at all. thanks for the tip

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Good luck, hope you get your hard-earned money back, would teach them a lesson.

Thanks OnTheCouch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

funny enough my own bonds are also over due.

even when taking into account the allowance of days 'included in my contract' to process it...

I'm still expecting that this will be paid soon, or they can expect a sh!t storm!

El Spearo wrote: »
    funny enough my own bonds are also over due.

even when taking into account the allowance of days 'included in my contract' to process it...

I'm still expecting that this will be paid soon, or they can expect a sh!t storm!

fight it all the way. after all we earned it so it is ours. were u charity r a product

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

suelaw wrote: »
    fight it all the way. after all we earned it so it is ours. were u charity r a product

product. yeah as i said, im sure enough ill get it, and wont fight until it looks like im being screwed. got a mail last week saying its owed and all so im not worried.

• Advertisement

El Spearo wrote: »
    product. yeah as i said, im sure enough ill get it, and wont fight until it looks like im being screwed. got a mail last week saying its owed and all so im not worried.[/QUOT

high five for you, hopefully i'll be as lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markyd212

Remmy wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry for bumping this thread but did anyone ever come across a company called Yew Tree Promotions before? Just from a quick google search they seem to be connected somehow to XR marketing which was flagged on that list of companies to avoid. I got called for an interview but after having read through this thread they seem to be meeting all the pre-cursors for a commision only job. It would be a decent enough commute to get there so I don't want to be throwing money away for nothing.

Yea Tree is a sub company of xr, they sell eircom phonewatch door to door. You dont sell you dont get paid, And you wont get your first paycheck until two weeks after you start selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooljinx

Hey does anyone know anything about this company interactive events ltd tried to google it cant find anything bad about it yet, any help would be brillant got an interview with them tomorrow, trying to decide if im gonna go there ad is here
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1217156

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

pooljinx wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know anything about this company interactive events ltd tried to google it cant find anything bad about it yet, any help would be brillant got an interview with them tomorrow, trying to decide if im gonna go there ad is here
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1217156

The job description in the ad says it's selling a charity lottery product outside shopping centres and the payment is commission only. They are pretty upfront about the details. Up to you to decide if that's something you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 confusedlad

I have an interview 2moro with clearwater and after reading some posts im undecided wether to stay at home or just go for it. Im out of work so i need the money but i dont wan to spend weeks chasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Go for the interview. If still unsure, go out on the "observation day" where you are shown what the sales rep is up against. If the rep is wearing a cheap suit, go home before you follow him/her anywhere. There is potential to make money in some of these companies, but it's very hard to earn and all too often, you're taught the dirty tricks of the trade, which are cause for 40% bonds. 11 Yeas ago, I worked for Cobra and the bonds were 10%. I got them back every time and bonds were adjusted from person to person depending on cancellation rates. Normal bond is 20%. At times I made no money, but at times I made lots. The charities are a waste of time as the hits are low and the bonds are stretched way too far. Securities and telecomms are good money, but tougher to sell. Run a mile from scratch cards or personal injury services.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrHorse

thanks for the heads up guys and gals.;)

i nearly started working as a door to door fella.

much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gobab

Has anyone heard of Smart Advantages in Waterford. Its very like Clearwater in their approach but he insists that the company is not part of them. Also you get paid all your commission and they don't have bonds. they give you an allowance for your car if you are driving. The loud music in reception bugged me alittle. Oh yes I impressed them so much that I have a second interview on Monday. lucky me ;-)

We are becoming a mini America with all our door to door sales people.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

what is the bond thing?????

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrHorse

bond is when sum1 backs off from a subscription u sold u will get less pay. but the sleazy ppl who run these things will always mess around with the numbers that ''supposedly'' did back off. so in the end u will never know if u deserve the full commission or not becoz there is no way (i think) of ever knowing if the guy/gal u signed up to ever backd down or not

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

I don't work in door to door anymore, but when I did it was fine... like here really is nothing wrong with it... I was never told about it until the initial appointment, but when I did I was excited in a way, I had never done it before and wanted to get the experience... I got great training, and the owners treated everyone including me really really well... It built me confidence alot and gave me skills I've used to start my own business which I would have had to have paid for in a training course otherwise... Like It isn't for everyone, but I would definitely say that if you aren't working, give it a shot... Nothing ventured nothing lost... If you already have a job you are happy in, and just looking for a change, it might not be for you... You do need to have an above average level of ambition and work ethic, but you can make good money and learn loads! And everyone is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

If ur not working, try it what ya got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You mean besides your time, money, personal relationships, self respect, skills and the oppertunity cost of missing other jobs...

Not much at all.

(Go back and read my many posts on this thread)

Agent J wrote: »
    You mean besides your time, money, personal relationships, self respect, skills and the oppertunity cost of missing other jobs...

Not much at all.

(Go back and read my many posts on this thread)

As a matter of interest, how do you loose - skills, self respect, personal relationships ? I can kinda see where you're going with the time and money, if you aren't selling, but if you aren't selling just leave... No-one is stopping you...

As for missing other jobs, I'd agree, but just tell yourself, okay, I won't sacrifice another job interview for the sake of this unless it's going well...

Really and truly there's no excuse for not giving it a shot, unless you feel somehow that selling door to door is below you, and that may very well be the case, and if so, fine! Don't worry about it, just don't go to the second appointment... :D

I'm just a pragmatist when it comes to things like this... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

EmmettInc wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how do you loose - skills, self respect, personal relationships ? I can kinda see where you're going with the time and money, if you aren't selling, but if you aren't selling just leave... No-one is stopping you...

As for missing other jobs, I'd agree, but just tell yourself, okay, I won't sacrifice another job interview for the sake of this unless it's going well...

Really and truly there's no excuse for not giving it a shot, unless you feel somehow that selling door to door is below you, and that may very well be the case, and if so, fine! Don't worry about it, just don't go to the second appointment... :D

As you have a low post count you will now be accused of working for one of theses company's because you dont agree with what the other poster and boards as a whole. Thats how things work here you see, if the all knowing posters here take a side in something anyone who disagrees with there view is wrong.

• Advertisement

lala88 wrote: »
    As you have a low post count you will now be accused of working for one of theses company's because you dont agree with what the other poster and boards as a whole. Thats how things work here you see, if the all knowing posters here take a side in something anyone who disagrees with there view is wrong.

Oh you again? Myself and others are still awaiting your replies on that other thread about Banners Brokers....

I'm not going to rehash everything i've already said on this thread. The information is already here if you choose to go look it up for yourself. Not all door to door jobs are the same but the *Vast* majority of anything which was mentioned on this thread is a variant on the same quazi-ponzi scheme which there is no point is giving any of your time to.

If you have any questions about the points already made then go ahead.

If you genuinely want to know more put Cobra group into google. A lot of these "companies" operate on a similar model

Or Here http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/Cobra-Group.aspx

I'm really not, I did, as my first post stated, but not anymore... Like honestly I thought it was fine... I just can't stand people not looking at a thing logically...

I'm really not, I did, as my first post stated, but not anymore... Like honestly I thought it was fine... I just can't stand people not looking at a thing logically...

yes but thats not good enough for the likes of AgentJ and his friends. They know everything and anyone who disagrees are wrong. Id read his posts but like most people like him they have no idea about how places like that work so they make claims who out anything to back the claims. But like i said thats boards in its typical bias one sidedness view of things, like i said when they dont agree with something thats it everyone else is wrong and people with low post counts who disagree (or anyone who disagrees with them in fact) have to have a vested interest in the matter, proof of the bias of boards is if someone whit a low post county comes on a agrees with them its fine

yes but thats not good enough for the likes of AgentJ and his friends. They know everything and anyone who disagrees are wrong. Id read his posts but like most people like him they have no idea about how places like that work so they make claims who out anything to back the claims. But like i said thats boards in its typical bias one sidedness view of things, like i said when they dont agree with something thats it everyone else is wrong and people with low post counts who disagree (or anyone who disagrees with them in fact) have to have a vested interest in the matter, proof of the bias of boards is if someone whit a low post county comes on a agrees with them its fine

Personally I like logic, evidence or maybe just a reasoned arguement which stands up to scrutiny.

Still waiting over here about Banners Brokers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789845&page=18

You really should go back and read some of my posts on this one though.

Particularly this one. I see we've already done the back and forth on this Lala88. There are more posts around this one so maybe read them in context.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78449167&postcount=595

Good overall explainer here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78518926&postcount=631

A link to a very good first hand account in this post & a little about my own dealings with such companies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64395058&postcount=69

Now @ EmmettInc I've no idea about who you worked for or what you did. None of my business. However anything I am saying is directed at the jobs types which are referenced on this thread. If nothing you read in any of these posts rings any bells or seems familiar then I am actually really happy that you haven't run into this type of company.

like don't get me wrong... i can see how people could be upset by this style of job, or company and all that, I get that, my point is just that just because something offends you, doesn't mean you should be offended... and i'm very aware that some companies are unscrupulous and promote misleading selling etc. These I have no time for, I'm just saying - commission only jobs, are not working for nothing, my mother works on commission and easily makes 1500 a week... with no basic... as for d2d I agree there are some terrible products, the answer though is simple... don't do it, and don't go for an interview until you get all the details, if they won't give them, then assume there's a reason and don't go... Like noone grows upn wanting to be a d2d sales person, but for some people its great, and theyre good at it, and the enjoy it... Just dont see sense in painting everything with the one brush :)

like don't get me wrong... i can see how people could be upset by this style of job, or company and all that, I get that, my point is just that just because something offends you, doesn't mean you should be offended... and i'm very aware that some companies are unscrupulous and promote misleading selling etc. These I have no time for, I'm just saying - commission only jobs, are not working for nothing, my mother works on commission and easily makes 1500 a week... with no basic... as for d2d I agree there are some terrible products, the answer though is simple... don't do it, and don't go for an interview until you get all the details, if they won't give them, then assume there's a reason and don't go... Like noone grows upn wanting to be a d2d sales person, but for some people its great, and theyre good at it, and the enjoy it... Just dont see sense in painting everything with the one brush :)

That's the important part and good advice.

I admit I came off the blocks a bit strong at you on this thread. I apologise.
    I have a bias against D2D and an automatic assumption that anyone talking about D2D on this thread is talking about one of these companies.

Your right in principle Commission only isn't nesscarily a bad thing. It works really well for some people but it's that kinda success that other companies try to pretend they are doing the same when they are really just leading people up the garden path.

I really recommend that previous link on Cobra(For anyone). It's a long read but it's a great insight into those type of companies.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/corrupt-companies/cobra-group/cobra-group-deceptive-liars-a-c85c6.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

That Cobra article is unbelievable. I had an image of several 80's dressed men sitting in a bunker Dr Strangelove style plotting their next move. Night not be too far off by the sounds of it. Makes me think back to an attractive job ad I saw advertised on a jobs site about a year ago. Seemed perfect until I googled the company and saw that they were little more than peddlers of s**e. The website was offering exciting team weekends of boozing and clubbing and the chance to work on your own initiative, yet looked like it had been not beenupdated in about 5 years. Haven't seen as many of them walking around in 2's or 3's with suitcases lately.

Agent J wrote: »
    Personally I like logic, evidence or maybe just a reasoned arguement which stands up to scrutiny.

Still waiting over here about Banners Brokers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789845&page=18

You really should go back and read some of my posts on this one though.

Particularly this one. I see we've already done the back and forth on this Lala88. There are more posts around this one so maybe read them in context.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78449167&postcount=595

Good overall explainer here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78518926&postcount=631

A link to a very good first hand account in this post & a little about my own dealings with such companies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64395058&postcount=69

Now @ EmmettInc I've no idea about who you worked for or what you did. None of my business. However anything I am saying is directed at the jobs types which are referenced on this thread. If nothing you read in any of these posts rings any bells or seems familiar then I am actually really happy that you haven't run into this type of company.

Im still waiting for you and the others to show us all the people who have lost money on that?

On this subject show us how theres companys are a scam? And all the money people lose?

You say its none of your business who the other poster worked with if so why are you posting then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There has to be an undercover documentary made about how these companies work

Advertisement