Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I never said I'm great. I'm good at my job. I was using it as an example that you don't have to be pushy to be a decent sales rep, because I completely disagree with the forcing sales on people policy that most d2d companies employ. Maybe actually read my posts before attempting to slate me.

Thanks for clearing that up then :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

I never said I'm great. I'm good at my job. I was using it as an example that you don't have to be pushy to be a decent sales rep, because I completely disagree with the forcing sales on people policy that most d2d companies employ. Maybe actually read my posts before attempting to slate me.

Yes the clue was when you said it was soul destroying. But then you were also sort of supporting the jobchoice, you seem to be for and against, maybe just weighing up the pros and cons or it's just the way I read it.

Anyway, I would say it is very difficult trying to get something from people at the moment in a Sales Rep type job. Also the "recession" (continued excessive spending and wastage of taxes by the Government) is stopping people buying anything, or really thinking before they change from the utility bill from the devil they know. Whoops there goes another 8 or 9 billion on social welfare to foreign nationals 'entitlements' here, and children's allowance for children who have lived in Poland/Lithuania/Moldova etc all their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Cathyht wrote: »
    Yes the clue was when you said it was soul destroying. But then you were also sort of supporting the jobchoice, you seem to be for and against, maybe just weighing up the pros and cons or it's just the way I read it.

I was moreso trying to say that sales rep work itself isn't all that bad, it's company practice that is bad. If it's a rep job without the need to force sales, which provides a basic wage that is enough to live off of, then go for it. But general sales reps that do door to door and work off of commission only, don't do it. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just to enlighten people, but those guys who have sprung up everywhere with Paralympics Ireland badges and scratch cards, they are actually working within the same horrible pyramid scheme as door to door people. Furthermore, the charities make a tiny percentage of that stuff. Just food for thought.

http://www.paralympics.ie/pin-and-support/

a quick glance and you'll see the lovely Appco name stated, which means this is money going to corporate not charity.

had an awkward moment whena guy try to stop me today, and I said I don't support them...had to walk back 20 seconds later and clarify that I meant Appco, and that I think donating directly to the paralympics is much better.

PS
    http://www.mycharity.ie/donate_charityFund.php?charityID=476

Just to add in, this is a very good alternative to donations with 99% of the donation reaching the charity.

Actually if anyone has further information on the structure of the campaign involving the paralympics could you give me a shout. Its rather disgusting to imagine that someone is making a profit off the charity, and it is quite obvious that they are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FinnK

Hi I have an interview with Roar tomorrow and im wondering are they legit after reading some of the posts? I really dont want to have my time wasted. The job I applied for is titled, Sales and marketing Representative. If this is door-to-door i'm not interested. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

FinnK wrote: »
    Hi I have an interview with Roar tomorrow and im wondering are they legit after reading some of the posts? I really dont want to have my time wasted. The job I applied for is titled, Sales and marketing Representative. If this is door-to-door i'm not interested. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Yep it's door to door. They are part of Appco. You will not earn any wage and you will work 10-9 earning very little money, most likely well below minimum wage.

The one thing I will say is the first week is targetting at getting you three sales. Which means the guy looking after you will sacrifice his own sales for you. You'll get a free lunch and maybe easy money depending on how it goes. But to be honest it's really not worth it.

PS Also if you watched the penn and teller link above you'll get a laugh outta the crap youll see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Captain Plan It

FinnK wrote: »

Thanks!
    Went for an interview with this crowd a while back, they'll do a short interview and then send you out with one of the experienced people who are building their own team, its door to door sales, commission only. I left after about 20 mins of it. Waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I think roar promotions are the door to door crowd that sell dildos and other similar paraphernalia.

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    I think roar promotions are the door to door crowd that sell dildos and other similar paraphernalia.

Is there more to this joke or is it just impeccably immature? I hate them as much as anyone, but don't want to see the derision of them become so childish that people don't listen to us anymore.

No, seriously, that what they sell

No, seriously, that what they sell

No Roar are based in security, tv and electricity providers.

I must be wrong so. Continue on sir.

No no no come back...who the hell have you got knocking on your door with dildos :P

El Spearo wrote: »
    No no no come back...who the hell have you got knocking on your door with dildos :P

And can you send them to my house? :p

And can you send them to my house? :p

how things suddenly change...now we're mad to get them over :D

Think I'll set up a d2d selling sex toys. Save all the tired housewives traipsing into town. I'll make a fortune! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Think I'll set up a d2d selling sex toys. Save all the tired housewives traipsing into town. I'll make a fortune! :D

<Knock knock>
    <Man Answers Door>

Salesman: Afternoon squire.. Is your wife a goer?

Lets meet for lunch and discuss this business proposal, I think we would make a bloody fortune, I would say 1000e start up money and were off, s hit mate this is a defo goer, and body want a job? Only thing is how would we demonstrate the product????????????

• Advertisement

Lets meet for lunch and discuss this business proposal, I think we would make a bloody fortune, I would say 1000e start up money and were off, s hit mate this is a defo goer, and body want a job? Only thing is how would we demonstrate the product????????????

I'm sure we can find an exhibitionist willing to work for us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

What do people make of this ad http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1258330

Does it sound dodgy?

Sounds alright if u like knocking on doors and asking folk to give a few quid a month for different causes. There's at least an hourly rate. Difficulty would be the time that your doing it ie.. Lunchtime.

Plus with total fundraising if you don't perform they'll fire you. So personally myself I'd run away. Unless you really feel you'd like to help out different charities, but beware it may take a year or so for the money you raise to get there. That is the problem with fundraising agencies against say the likes of Concern or amnesty who do their own fundraising.

Sounds alright if u like knocking on doors and asking folk to give a few quid a month for different causes. There's at least an hourly rate. Difficulty would be the time that your doing it ie.. Lunchtime.

Plus with total fundraising if you don't perform they'll fire you. So personally myself I'd run away. Unless you really feel you'd like to help out different charities, but beware it may take a year or so for the money you raise to get there. That is the problem with fundraising agencies against say the likes of Concern or amnesty who do their own fundraising.

Well I was meant to be starting a part-time job but not sure if it's going ahead now so just looking at other options there really is feck all jobs out there:(

ziggy23 wrote: »
    What do people make of this ad http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1258330

Does it sound dodgy?

Most jobs on this site are nonexistent anyway.

Most jobs on this site are nonexistent anyway.

Yep I noticed! Any recommendations for better job sites?

Most are linked to jobs.ie I think the only reliable 1 is Fás.ie

My tip is think about you nearest shopping centre, then go to websites of every company that are based in it and apply through their employment or careers section.

Worst thing you can say is there is no work out there. I've said that for ages, and two weeks ago said screw it im going to go do somethig about it. Handed out 20 CVs, got 2 job offers, second interviews and 5 interviews in total.

There is plenty of work out there, and if you haven't found it you need to look harded in places that involve thinking outside the box a little..

The answer isnt door to door though :P

Most are linked to jobs.ie I think the only reliable 1 is Fás.ie

• Advertisement

El Spearo wrote: »
    My tip is think about you nearest shopping centre, then go to websites of every company that are based in it and apply through their employment or careers section.

Worst thing you can say is there is no work out there. I've said that for ages, and two weeks ago said screw it im going to go do somethig about it. Handed out 20 CVs, got 2 job offers, second interviews and 5 interviews in total.

There is plenty of work out there, and if you haven't found it you need to look harded in places that involve thinking outside the box a little..

The answer isnt door to door though :P

Thanks for this yea I'm being a bit negative alright! I havent worked in over 4 years so things are a bit different than I remember!

Advertisement