Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

The only place I never see mentioned in this thread is Unicef.. Anyone worked for them? It's door to door but they pay a decent basic and cover travel as well. I also heard they have a bus that takes their workers where they're going and back, rather than them having to make their own way out, dunno how true that is. Having said all that, I only lasted a day in a place that paid basic so I may just be getting desperate from all the rejection e-mails I've been receiving lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

the unicef thing is probably another compamy like total fundraising doing it for them.i know from experience that even though total fundraising pay a basic wage you get no time to improve,one bad day and you're gone.when i started,there was 6 six that started the same day and i was the last one given the sack a week later,some were let go on their 1st day for making no sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

They need to get 10 sales and anything after that is a bonus. If they don't get 10 sales, they are made work Saturdays and your hourly rate is dropped by €1. .

At least you got paid for the day, say 10 hrs at min rate 8.65 = €86.50,
    Or not? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BohsMeerkat

Anyone worked for concern? They're advertising on Jobs.ie atm and say it's a 13 euro per hour flat rate, if that's true i'd imagine if you make no sales they'll sack you..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

What I don't understand is that every time these salespersons call, I tell them I am in a contract for the specific utility there are on about (does not stop them) and if I was ever to change it would be online.

I understand now that why they persist so much. Feel sorry for them, but not so sorry to sign up for anything on my doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

So glad I didn't go in for the second interview after reading this thread.

I got a call from a company saying they were impressed with my CV, mumbled the company name, and asked me to come in for an interview. Desperate for a job I just said yes of course, they gave me the address and when I asked for the company name I got a "oh we're on blah blah street, big purple sign you'll see us", refused to mention the name. I googled the number and came up with a company called CBC with an address on the same road so thought grand.

Morning of the interview, google maps in hand I get lost. I call to apologise and ask for directions, company name never given just the big purple sign. Walking up and down Talbot street for another 10-15 minutes I notice a guy roughly my age go into a building, with a tiny purple sign, so thinking it could be the place I followed. Saw the sign "ROAR" and thinking to myself that's not the company attached to the number and location I googled so went to the desk, inquisitively wondering if it was the right place, it was.

Fancy shiney place, young hip and attractive people walking around having a grand aul lad being as nice as can be. Finally called into the interview, the interviewer working there 9 months was already on level 5 and setting up his own company, I was meant to be impressed. He noticed a lot of sport stuff on my CV (coaching badges and the likes) and almost starts answering for me, hinting and leading the answer. Left being confused as hell but told I'll be called that afternoon.

8pm hits as I'm down the park, phone rings. "Sinead" who I was talking to before apparently and met in the office spent 5-7 minutes explaining about the number of CVs they get a week, how my interviewer was very impressed but they can't give everyone a second interview. At this stage I was getting worried, "I can't even get a second interview for a company like this?", feeling a little desperate. Lo and behold I'm one of the lucky ones and got the next interview, as if I one the great big cash prize. Asked to come in the Friday morning for a "group meeting", bring a pen and paper etc. Thursday night, I got quite drunk and had a laugh with my friends and blew off the interview, best decision ever made.

A month later I got lucky and was offered a coaching job at a summer camp. Decent hours/pay and a cycle distance from home. Was amazed how good the company was at manipulation though, really quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Can any1 give me some info on FMI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Anyone worked for concern? They're advertising on Jobs.ie atm and say it's a 13 euro per hour flat rate, if that's true i'd imagine if you make no sales they'll sack you..?

It's not a flat rate of 13 euro per hour. My ex (while I was dating him!) worked for Concern doing d2d for three months.

It's 9 euro per hour. If you get a sign up, your rate for that day changes to 11 euro per hour. If you make two sign ups that day, it changes to 13 euro per hour.

He got on great with the other staff, and did well for a few months, always hitting targets. However, one week, his 'area' was O'Connell Street. 'Cause there are SO many houses there? :rolleyes:

As a result, he was two sign ups off of his target (I can't remember the target, think it was 10 per week), and was then 'put on target,' for the following week. This is where, if you fail to hit target one week, you have a MUCH bigger target the following week (his was something like 16 sign ups in three days, as opposed to 10 sign ups in 7 days). If you fail to hit that much bigger target (it's impossible to hit tbh), you are let go with no notice period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Does anyone have any experience with Sector Alarms (previously Eircom Phonewatch)? My girlfriend has a trial with them tomorrow in a shopping center, and since it's an all commision salary I'm trying to convince her out of it as we need a constant income. From what she tells me it seems like a **** job, can anyone convince me otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Does anyone have any experience with Sector Alarms (previously Eircom Phonewatch)? My girlfriend has a trial with them tomorrow in a shopping center, and since it's an all commision salary I'm trying to convince her out of it as we need a constant income. From what she tells me it seems like a **** job, can anyone convince me otherwise?

She shouldn't do it.
    Why? Read the previous posts in the thread, there is more than enough information there, draw you own conclusions from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dhegarty

I been with Green Shield Energy since April on a part time basis while I was in College but since 01st July I decided to go full time.

My job is go to a Housing estate and go door to door and do a 30 second energy survey of three short questions and I get €7.50 per lead simple as that. I have no knowledge of Solar panels or energy saving products and I spend an average of 2 to 4 hours on a typical day, i am my own boss i am actually self employed but I know people working for Green Shield Energy are still claiming Jobseekers and it really up to people to register with the revenue. My situation is that I signed off the Jobseekers allowance and register with the revenue.

In the evening I email the leads to my team leader and the following day the call center contact the people. By Thursday I email an Invoice to my team leader and I get paid on Monday and the money goes into my Bank account. The week Starts on Friday and ends on Thursday

I am supplied with a ID Badge, clipboard, Polo Shirt and Literature from the company.

My plan as I am full time is to work from 2-8 Monday To Saturday, my target is 15 leads a day and once I get 15 leads i can finish early

My best week was two weeks ago when i was paid €435 but normally I get an average from €150 to €270 per week but if I put in the hard work I am hoping to get anything up to €600 per week.

I am currently building a team under me and so far I have 1 from Donegal, 1 from Dublin and 3 from Cork all 5 are starting this week and they do the same as me BUT they get €6.50 per lead and I get a €1, if they build their own team they break away from me and get paid the same as me.

I love this Job and I have no intention in applying for an ordinary 9 to 5 job.

If anyone finds this information useful feel free to PM me anytime the company is looking for people from all over Ireland

dhegarty wrote: »
    My job is go to a Housing estate and go door to door and do a 30 second energy survey of three short questions and I get €7.50 per lead simple as that. I have no knowledge of Solar panels or energy saving products and I spend an average of 2 to 4 hours on a typical day

Hey dhegarty, sounds like you are enjoying the job. I just want to let you know that i'm NOT attacking you here.

The solar panel and 'energy saving products' (brick insulation i'm guessing) only work as a product because of government subsidies. These subsidies make them attractive to buy and may actually save a householder money. However if there were no money given from the government they would never sell. I'm assuming the subsidies are part of an EU programm/directive.

Fair enough you are making money but it will never last. In the end everyone who wants one will get one. I'm hoping you aren't looking to make a career of this and it is just a short term thing.

Something unrelated reagrding APPCO offices (we all know the ones)
    The long term staff who have been doing door to door for 2+ years(the ''i've been here since 2009'' guys) get paid a basic wage on the sly to keep them in the company, make it look like people will work on commision only and help them recruit. They make additional money by making sales, but they have a basic wage to keep them ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dhegarty

The thing is GodlikeRed and I repeat part of your post ''The solar panel and 'energy saving products' (brick insulation i'm guessing) only work as a product because of government subsidies. These subsidies make them attractive to buy and may actually save a householder money. However if there were no money given from the government they would never sell. I'm assuming the subsidies are part of an EU programm/directive.'', now I am always honest to the person at the door when i do my survey and they will agree with me that I dont know anything about the products but if someone offers you €7.50 per lead would you care to find out about the products and the company.

Door to Door sales/marketing are dead end Jobs and thats a fact but what I am doing at the moment is a doddle and there is no such a thing in the jobseekers market as making a career, my motto is its a job and Door to Door sales/marketing is not what I really want to do but at least I am not calling myself a loser and living off the taxpayer, I am getting off my butt to do something that will pay my bills and put food on the table simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Button94

Hey guys,
    I'm a student taking a year out of college and I applied for a job in CMS acquisitions in Limerick on Friday through jobs.ie and I was called for an interview for them yesterday to come in today and after my interview (with very little questions) they told me not to be disheartened if they didn't call me for a second interview but to my surprise they called me to come in tomorrow for a second meeting from 12-8 tomorrow and I was just wondering is this definitely door to door sales? And is it commission only? This is my first job and I am clueless!
    Any help at all would be extremely appreciated!!
    I want to know if I should bother going tomorrow or should I just keep applying for jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Button94 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm a student taking a year out of college and I applied for a job in CMS acquisitions in Limerick on Friday through jobs.ie and I was called for an interview for them yesterday to come in today and after my interview (with very little questions) they told me not to be disheartened if they didn't call me for a second interview but to my surprise they called me to come in tomorrow for a second meeting from 12-8 tomorrow and I was just wondering is this definitely door to door sales? And is it commission only? This is my first job and I am clueless!
    Any help at all would be extremely appreciated!!
    I want to know if I should bother going tomorrow or should I just keep applying for jobs!

I see them in jobs.ie a lot advertising no experience necessary etc etc. seems like the usual pyramid scheme alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Button94

padma wrote: »
    I see them in jobs.ie a lot advertising no experience necessary etc etc. seems like the usual pyramid scheme alright.

And what does usual pyramid scheme mean? Like that your only paid if your on the top level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Have a read of the thread and go figure it out.

CMS acquisitions are 100 percent commisson,they used to be mkm diect and before that they were pmd,both have been mentioned here plenty of times.they used to be in pery square but have now moved office.avoid them at all costs.they will suck the life out of you.6 days a week from 10.30 to 9.30 ish.if you want to see what way they operate by all means go for it but don't fall for their brainwashing crap.

and it is knocking on doors for 8-9 hours selling airtricity or pure telecom.

F35 wrote: »
    Anyone know the going rate for selling sky/upc?

Commission only, 25e a sale

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

That's ridiculous, if you sold them up yourself online, you can receive up to €115 / €150 commission!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

No its not all commission only as you can see from this. Maybe people should actually look things up before they post

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/muskerry-group/sales-agents-required-tipperary-20k-basic-commission/3495157

lala88 wrote: »
    No its not all commission only as you can see from this. Maybe people should actually look things up before they post

http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/muskerry-group/sales-agents-required-tipperary-20k-basic-commission/3495157

Yes I know but mostly are comm only ,

Just looked at ur link, I know some one who went for an interview here. In orde to get ur basic u must have 11 sales, then ur comm kicks in, not 11 sales no money

Yes I know but mostly are comm only ,

ya i know. but people shouldn't just jump on the its commission only bandwagon when it might not be the case

Fair point lala88

lala88 wrote: »
    ya i know. but people shouldn't just jump on the its commission only bandwagon when it might not be the case

Having to make 11 sales to get the basic wage, its effectively the same thing though.

As I said before nobody last in those kind of places (1+year) without the owners giving them a basic wage to make them stay and try make it look like commission only works.

Door to door commission only is all smoke and mirrors shíte

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Having to make 11 sales to get the basic wage, its effectively the same thing though.

As I said before nobody last in those kind of places (1+year) without the owners giving them a basic wage to make them stay and try make it look like commission only works.

Door to door commission only is all smoke and mirrors shíte

Thats how any sales job with a wage works. You have to meet targets. Do you think they'll just pay someone if there not bringing in sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Coming from the more student aspect of the sky job, if it was to be one of the people working in the little stands like in Stephen's Green it'd be alright, say 6.50e an hour plus commission per sign up, as let's be honest most of the time they just stand around watching sky sports news until someone shows interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Lads would ye recommend door to door commission only sales as a very short term job? like I'm in limerick and due to start with cms acquisitions next week. looks ok from what I can see but don't know too much. only want the job for a few weeks till college starts back like!

Advertisement