Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

you end up having no life as you're working 60-70 hours a week with a chance of making no money.it might be ok if you live with your parents,have no bills and dont want a social life.i would stir clear,ive know students that started it in the summer and were put under pressure to jack in their studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Lads would ye recommend door to door commission only sales as a very short term job? like I'm in limerick and due to start with cms acquisitions next week. looks ok from what I can see but don't know too much. only want the job for a few weeks till college starts back like!

Selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Selling?

Oh sorry forgot to say. Selling telcoms. (i.e. landline phone and broadband bundles) our prices are fairly good too, pure telecom.

Oh sorry forgot to say. Selling telcoms. (i.e. landline phone and broadband bundles) our prices are fairly good too, pure telecom.

Ok, here's the thing, pure telecom are pure ****ee, trust me 70% if not more people never heard of them there prices are dearer than most others and very unreliable aswell, trust e mate stay well clear, or do a week and see if I'm right, sorry to be blunt but hate seen people made a mug of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If people want telecoms they go online or into a store like Carephone. Noone wants people coming to their door. I did it last summer and noone wanted it, but sure I sold it...by the end of a summer of hard graft and crashing my car, nearly losing my girlfriend and not talking to any friends I made around 600.

This summer I'm working in retail, slightly above minimum and pulling in about 1500 a month.

door to door is horrible and you will fall into the trap of thinking its great. once you get in they will drag you in to stay. I've seen sound lads think they could own the world in them jobs. they are life draining and while the experience looks good on the CV overall there is someone above you laughing that you are doing the donkey work for them.

honest to god opinion, just dont bother yourself. it seems like a great short term fix, but its got a huge turn over and while the sales is good experience its only this if you actually sell...if you are in the absolute minority.

i was lucky to be one of the best in the office when i was doing it...and i just came out with 600 after 3 months of busting my arse. so just really think of it. its dishonest scam artistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

even if your bloody good you will earn around 4-5 euro an hour.

thanks for the advice lads. Might give it till the end of the week and see how it goes shur.

thanks for the advice lads. Might give it till the end of the week and see how it goes shur.

Lets know how u get on

Lets know how u get on

Will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Lads would ye recommend door to door commission only sales as a very short term job? like I'm in limerick and due to start with cms acquisitions next week. looks ok from what I can see but don't know too much. only want the job for a few weeks till college starts back like!

Get out as fast as you can would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Well Hybrid, any stories to tell us of the job, or, are you convinced?

padma wrote: »
    Well Hybrid, any stories to tell us of the job, or, are you convinced?

Yeah................ It's a bunch of sh1te! xD Left it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I worked door to door for three weeks and it was the worst three weeks of my life . I would seriously tell anyone considering it they would be better taking a minimum wage job if they can get one . The commission is good but I found it hateful getting paid three hundred a week and putting in sixty hours a week to make that . The stress and exploitation of people is a real eye opener and it should be a job that is made illegal if it's commission only .

Just got an email from the people I worked for saying the in the 2 people I signed over to our company decided to cancel and stay with their previous companies, so I get NOTHING! Soooooooo pissed off right now. I have absolutely no money to my name cause the little bit I had went on travel expenses and food for work, have to pay for college and everything in a few weeks time and I literally can't even afford to buy a new box of rollies!! Feel like crying right now!

Just got an email from the people I worked for saying the in the 2 people I signed over to our company decided to cancel and stay with their previous companies, so I get NOTHING! Soooooooo pissed off right now. I have absolutely no money to my name cause the little bit I had went on travel expenses and food for work, have to pay for college and everything in a few weeks time and I literally can't even afford to buy a new box of rollies!! Feel like crying right now!

I got caught that way a few times also and that's the worst part about the commission only pay . I remember going home one friday thinking I had made about five hundred that day and once the cooling off period kicked I got paid for one sale out of the twelve . Chin up mate at least your not doing door to door anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Francesca

Hi all,
    I really wish I'd found this thread sooner! I was hoodwinked into one of these commission-only door-to-door jobs, and unlike someone mentioned earlier, I actually did move all the way back to Ireland for it. I flew over to meet the company beforehand of course, passed an interview, everything seemed fine. I had my doubts after the 'observation day' but was quickly assured that D2D would not be my role, that it was just a character test and I would be going into management with a basic salary rate of 18K. On my first day I was then told that it would be commission only, and it slowly started to unravel that I would be doing nothing but door-to-door sales for 12 hrs a day without a break, six days a week...for a year.
    Not only was the job advertisement misleading but the company lied to me flat-out.
    I don't have a problem with door-to-door sales if that's what people want to do, but companies like these are being deceitful.

Livid!!

Shoud be a law against it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Shoud be a law against it

And zero hour contracts while you are at it.

How does this happen in the 21st century?

Yet here we are celebrating the 100 anniversary of the lockout.

Do we learn nothing as a race? The profit motive is always above the moral imperative. Bit sick really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Francesca wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I really wish I'd found this thread sooner! I was hoodwinked into one of these commission-only door-to-door jobs, and unlike someone mentioned earlier, I actually did move all the way back to Ireland for it. I flew over to meet the company beforehand of course, passed an interview, everything seemed fine. I had my doubts after the 'observation day' but was quickly assured that D2D would not be my role, that it was just a character test and I would be going into management with a basic salary rate of 18K. On my first day I was then told that it would be commission only, and it slowly started to unravel that I would be doing nothing but door-to-door sales for 12 hrs a day without a break, six days a week...for a year.
    Not only was the job advertisement misleading but the company lied to me flat-out.
    I don't have a problem with door-to-door sales if that's what people want to do, but companies like these are being deceitful.

Livid!!

Surely there must be something you can do about that from a legal point of view.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Surely there must be something you can do about that from a legal point of view.

There has to be. Thing is, I can report the job ad to advertising standards for being misleading but I can't prove the deception at interview (which is more serious really because it was outright face-to-face lies).
    The other 'employees' starting out there are so brainwashed it's frightening, and even though we got on well they would never back up a claim against the company.
    I thought I'd made a couple of friends there, but then I quit and the following day they refused eye-contact with me in the street.
    The whole thing makes me lose faith in humanity. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭statomosh

Francesca wrote: »
    Hi all,

Livid!!

What was the name of the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

That is ridiculous

Hayezer wrote: »
    That is ridiculous

My thoughts exactly. They probably know that the naive young graduates they take in can't afford the legal costs. I don't really want to broadcast the name publicly and give them the satisfaction of knowing how much it's upset me, but I will say they represent Eircom and Airtricity - the usual stuff, and the branch I went to was in Cork. Apparently there are a few companies like this in the area, but it's not a name I've seen on this forum (maybe they operate under several names? *Shiver*)
    If you've applied to any direct marketing companies in Cork, my advice would be to make sure you have your questions answered and if they are evasive about anything, forget them. Alternatively just avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 freelance2013

Hi guys,

I have been meaning to share my experience with Roar Promotions in Galway for a while.

I, like many others, applied for the job online on jobs.ie even after finding out it was all door-to-door sales. I was given an 'appointment' (interview) because they can't call them interviews for a sole trader position apparently.

I have a good degree but was finding it difficult to find work so I simply decided this was going to do it for a while. When I arrived for the interview there were a lot of people there, mostly non-Irish.

The group interview was the easiest I've ever come across, all I did was feed the boss exactly what he wanted to hear. Anyone with English and some level of competency was offered a position.

We were informed that we needed to register as sole traders, the position was 100% commission based with a 25% stay on the commission for a number of months. The company sells Eircom Phone Watch monitored alarms but are not run by Eircom they are an Appco Group company.

You are expected to be at the office beside Argos at 10am every morning for the most demoralising pep-talks by the boss. He basically Googles inspirational talks and reads this out to you. Feeds the impressionable sales people buzz words and the promise of large pay cheques.

We were given the expert advice to make sure not to spend more money than we earn and he offered to keep our money in a savings account run by the company, as patronising as you can get really.

The turn over of employees in there is very high with the longest serving sales person only being there for a few months. When someone just stops turning up the boss would joke that they fell off a cliff. It's a constant battle for the company to have a full roster of staff.

Even as a sole trader you cannot simply do the work at your leisure and pick what days or locations to pitch the product to. You are packed into a car of one of the sales people, they all smoke and the cars are of questionable road worthiness/incompetent drivers.

A number of the employees, all in the late teens of early 20s, seem in the most polite way possible, a little simple and bought into all the career progression opportunities spouted by the boss.

The boss would tell up to make sure to protect our attitude and when your feeling terrible because of either abusive people or lack of sales to bottle it up and smile. No joke - effectively he was telling everyone, when you feel terrible just pretend you're not feeling terrible.

I found the positive reinforcement very obvious but many of the others didn't and were hoping to climb the ladder to owner of another sister company in some other part of the country. The boss makes €300 per sales where as the staff will make €100 for the first and them incrementally up to €200 for the fifth i.e. if you sell 5 in a week you will get €1,000 (that would be a very rare occurrence)

You will work for about 12 hours a day, eat from petrol stations, be around chain smoking non intellectuals, have no spare time in the evening and become depressed if you take up this job in my opinion. No money is worth the mental damage you will undergo doing this job.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I know the post is a bit long but there is still loads more detail you should know before subjecting yourself to this job. Though funnily enough I would recommend doing it for a few days to experience the true nature of the beast.

You are packed into a car of one of the sales people, they all smoke and the cars are of questionable road worthiness/incompetent drivers.

Forgot to mention this. Freelance, I'm really sorry about your experience. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

I did commission only door to door sales straight out of college for 3 months. It is a tough job especially in the cold winter when you can see lovely warm fires through the window and ppl won't even answer the door to give you a chance. I personally was not made for the job as I didn't believe in the product and to be perfectly honest I found ppl who actually did purchase from me quite stupid as I was selling a high cost product. For someone to hand over 1400 euro on their door step to the complete stranger is not clever if u ask me. I cud of been anyone and I never once was asked to verify who I was. Like I said I'm just not made for selling but if you are and can put up with the cold and self motivating...very hard when ppl slam the door before u even get to speck then it's worth a shot, its better than been on the dole and if u are good then you can make half decent money.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

promises wrote: »
    its better than been on the dole and if u are good then you can make half decent money.

Even at that you are wrong my friend, nobody last in those kind of places (1+year) without the owners giving them a basic wage(on the sly) to make them stay!! They do this to pretend like you can make a decent consistent living off commission only.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

A family member has just started with FMI, d2d for Dogs Trust. He was told he would get a basic wage of €288 per week, but needs to make €125 first - I assume if he doesn't reach the €125 it means he gets paid nothing?!

On the first day it was an interview, called back the next day for a trial - did not realise this meant going out all day following two "cheeky chaps" around, observing them. Was out all day & evening, and was told he got the job, to start in the morning.

He is driving teams around too. Supposed to be 12 - 8pm, but has been 10.30 am to 10.30pm by the time he heads home. He was told being the driver means he gets paid mileage / tolls but they never told him keep receipts or anything, so I am guessing when he goes looking for that they will expect him to show receipts. Seems such a scam!

AND his black runners were completely unsuitable. Needs to get loafers, to walk around in all f**king day. Most people they knock on the doors of "hate dogs". I imagine it is just a way to get rid of them.

I am wondering why they are only told on the morning of each new day where they are going to be that day? What is the thinking behind that?

@misstierney

I would tell him to consider not doing it , D2D is a scam job and he will at some stage be taken for a ride . My understanding seems to be he will get paid if he makes 125 worth of sales a week and how much is it to sponsor a dog ? When you sign up they try to convince you to do it for a year . All the companies also have a cool down period where it seems he could have a good day when in fact once it's all sorted the people don't actually take up the sponsorship . I would ask him to get all the information and if anything at all seems anyway suspicious walk away .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I do know for a fact, the dogs trust is a terribly hard sale. Went out with them for one day before and all five of the staff, none of them got a sale at all.

Advertisement