Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

why don't you tell those unemployed who they are, so someone else can have a chance of a job,

not very hard to interpret.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

padma wrote: »
    why don't you tell those unemployed who they are, so someone else can have a chance of a job,

not very hard to interpret.

So people ehh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

So people ehh

So people?

lala88 wrote: »
    So people?

Some........better?

So people?

Some.......better?

• Advertisement

Some.......better?

Clearly, seeing as so people doesnt mean anything

Clearly, seeing as so people doesnt mean anything

Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

This is the best description of MLM/Pyramid/Ponzi schemes I have ever come across. It's a bit long but a great read...

http://www.vandruff.com/mlm.html

Other "companies" in Limerick to watch out for (don't know if they've already been mentioned) are CMS Acquisitions (George's Quay) and Flawless Marketing (Henry Street)

I got a phone call (must be over a year ago) from some crowd who I didn't even apply to, who apparently were very impressed with my CV which they found on monster.ie. Wouldn't give me any info about the job over the phone other than very vague references to marketing. Knew what it was all about straight away from then. Told them I wasn't interested and don't bother contacting me again. Although I was half tempted to go along to the interview and make a scene in front of all the other potential recruits...:D

What would people think companies like this would be like to deal with? As in supplying them with office supplies etc Would there be hassle with the fact they change nmae and owner so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

What would people think companies like this would be like to deal with? As in supplying them with office supplies etc Would there be hassle with the fact they change nmae and owner so much?

I wouldn't be surprised if the reps are required to provide their own stationary out of their own pockets, given the way these "companies" operate, in the same way that all travel and fuel is your vehicle at your expense with no reimbursement.

You're right, Ponzi scheme companies do change names all the time to cover their tracks (e.g: CMS who I referred to was MKM direct and PerDM before that) but they all operate out of the same rented office with the same postal address, so it's easy enough for other co's who deal with them to find them.

Some of these crowds are registered companies, often registered in the UK (presumably for getting around paying taxes). If you take a look at www.companycheck.co.uk and type in their names, you will find that many of them are non-trading companies who have never filed accounts. Some have had strike-off notices against them published in the press for failing to file their accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I remember well over a year ago I met "Mahon Enterprises" for an interview,
    they spoke fairly highly off themselves and had fairly cool little office.

They offered me a "trial" for the day which was two days later, I was to meet a sales rep and shadow him for the day. When I asked about what he would be doing the interviewer replied "attending meetings and closing deals,"
    so all sounded good to me. But what got me thinking was when she said "Just be sure to bring a coat." At the time I didn't really think much of it, but then I got home and decided to do some research on them.

Turned out they where a fully commissioned based door to door sales company,
    No base salary and low percentage on sale.

Anyone ever work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Was offered an interview with Roar there, after doing a bit of digging there in this thread and after advice from family i'm appalled and will reconsider.

Frustrating because im getting sick of not having work and came back from abroad in the hope of landing something but it sounds soul destroying with little reward and i hope i've made the right choice in not chasing it.

Worked a job in street promotion abroad before that was a bit of craic and involved actually being a rep on the nights out but it was definitely hard going and not easy to live off at times, something like this raised serious red flags once i heard as i could only imagine how bad it possibly could be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/26/marketing-company-80p-wage-perdm
    Maria Ludkin from the GMB said PerDM's business model amounted to a "pyramid recruitment scam".
    A spokesman for HM Revenue and Customs said it was "committed to tackling the risks associated with false self-employment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Roar can take you to Canada now apparently: http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1328897

• Registered Users Posts: 34 andrew_ob

Hey guys,
    Any advice on a company called Billsave. Had an interview today. Seemed very genuine to be fair and told me all about the job, that it is door to door sales, selling on behalf of airtricity. Was told I would have the option of a base salary (effectively covering target sales) + commission for everything else, or else I could choose commission only but at a higher rate (I was told most people choose the latter for better earning potential, which given the figures it is; but he said there were people who took the salary option for a bit of security). He sounded completely transparent about the job, but just have a few doubts..

Any help greatly appreciated

Stay away from that crowd 2 guys I know worked for them and got stiffed badly, the only thing u will earn is a cold, Airtricty have a very bad name if u get 2 sales a day u big doing very very we'll stay clear

• Registered Users Posts: 8 torro

I went for a yewtree promotions interview today, I've been asked to come back tomorrow for a 2nd interview but I have an eerie feeling about the whole thing. Does anybody currently work for them or has had any dealings with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Don't go back. They're a door to door company. Avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 khan1

Hey guys, this seems like an ideal thread to ask my question. I had an interview today with BillSave, the company which sells Airtricity. Recruitment Manager Sinead Moloney was the interviewer - A really lovely, and I must say a very attractive girl. She selected me on the spot and have asked me to come on Monday for training. Just want to ask if anybody has worked there, how was your experience? Did you find it easy to make sales considering Airtricity is cheaper than other companies. How much money did you usually make in a week? Its only commission based and no basic pay which is a problem and something totally new for me. I just wanted to ask about your experience of working there. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You have no worries khan1. They pay well and you always get paid at that company. It is commission only, and for some people they might not like that. If you are in anyway decent you will prefer being commission only as you make much more money. Average earnings there range from 150 per week to over 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 khan1

You have no worries khan1. They pay well and you always get paid at that company. It is commission only, and for some people they might not like that. If you are in anyway decent you will prefer being commission only as you make much more money. Average earnings there range from 150 per week to over 1000.

Thanks mate. Lets see how it goes. I have never worked in commission only job before so hopefully will not be under too much pressure.

khan1 wrote: »
    Thanks mate. Lets see how it goes. I have never worked in commission only job before so hopefully will not be under too much pressure.

The company you work for will not put you under any pressure, most pressure will be what you apply to yourself. Just try and not get too worried, especially when you get slight abuse from people at the door. Do not take things personally, there are a lot of different characters out there and you have to have a tough disposition. I dont mean be tough in a "im hard" sense, I mean a tough skin able to put up with a bit of stick.

Householders generally assume door knockers are the scum of the earth that dont have any money and are desperate, and while this may be true for some, Ive been doing it since 2009 and I have made a very comfortable living and will almost certainly have a lot more disposable income than those people who look down on you at the doors. Let them remain in ignorance, because you will get sales from people who feel sorry for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

khan1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in the new job.

Word of warning though. Don't come knocking uninvited on my door. You won't be under any pressure, but you will leave under the same sustained hail of vile abuse that all the other unsolicited doorknockers receive. I don't make allowances for the 'new guys'.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Wouldn't bother with commission jobs, worked two of them already. Crazy hours for little money. I was working from the morning until the evening time and didn't get home until late at night. Worst part was that the job was Dublin based but they dragged you out to all parts of the countryside!

user.name wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with commission jobs, worked two of them already. Crazy hours for little money. I was working from the morning until the evening time and didn't get home until late at night. Worst part was that the job was Dublin based but they dragged you out to all parts of the countryside!

So because you were not cut out for it, and you tried a massive 2 different jobs, you think that qualifies you to say all commission jobs are no use? Seriously, what a stupid naive post you have made there.

Its like you trialling for a top flight football team, then when you suck at it you tell everyone its no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

People are correct to be highly skeptical of commission only jobs. There have been a rake of companies who use commission only and fill their staff full of BS about being managers in 6 months. They churn through staff on a hybrid commission only/multi level marketing whose main aim is to keep new staff coming in so the higher ups get a % of their commission. IF there is any sort of BS involving your manager/team leader getting a % of your sales then that should be a major red flag. Especially when they start talking of you having your own sales team in 6 months/year.

That isn't to say that commission only is a bad thing of itself. However the business model which involves commission only, door to door outsourced sales etc etc is a well worn path by less reputable companies operating akin to a COBRA business style.

You only need to look back over this thread for numerous examples of those type of companies. A good number which are no longer in operation or have changed names because they eventually get enough of a bad reputation.

Agent J wrote: »
    People are correct to be highly skeptical of commission only jobs. There have been a rake of companies who use commission only and fill their staff full of BS about being managers in 6 months. They churn through staff on a hybrid commission only/multi level marketing whose main aim is to keep new staff coming in so the higher ups get a % of their commission. IF there is any sort of BS involving your manager/team leader getting a % of your sales then that should be a major red flag. Especially when they start talking of you having your own sales team in 6 months/year.

That isn't to say that commission only is a bad thing of itself. However the business model which involves commission only, door to door outsourced sales etc etc is a well worn path by less reputable companies operating akin to a COBRA business style.

You only need to look back over this thread for numerous examples of those type of companies. A good number which are no longer in operation or have changed names because they eventually get enough of a bad reputation.

Could not agree with you more. However I was replying to someone who said commission only jobs are not good. Which is just a load of utter garbage really. I have been commission only since the year 2000 and I love it. I wouldn't dream of accepting a salary. In fact several times companies have tried to headhunt me and I have refused solely on their requirement that I go on salary. The smart people do not have a salary, unless they want to fund the ridiculous welfare bill this country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

Could not agree with you more. However I was replying to someone who said commission only jobs are not good. Which is just a load of utter garbage really. I have been commission only since the year 2000 and I love it. I wouldn't dream of accepting a salary. In fact several times companies have tried to headhunt me and I have refused solely on their requirement that I go on salary. The smart people do not have a salary, unless they want to fund the ridiculous welfare bill this country has.

What job are u in? I'm on door todoor sales and liking it at the moment tbh!

• Advertisement

D.murphy wrote: »
    What job are u in? I'm on door todoor sales and liking it at the moment tbh!

I work with Energia.

Advertisement