Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

I work with Energia.

I thought ye were not out yet ? I work for a marketing company selling prepay power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

D.murphy wrote: »
    I thought ye were not out yet ? I work for a marketing company selling prepay power

It has not officially launched to the general public. However I have been working with Energia in the commercial market for a number of years.

We do have a team of lads out right now selling in the domestic market in Dublin, Cork, Roscommon and Galway. What area do you live? I put up a post about it here, post #205.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88558624#post88558624

We recruited a few lads who used to sell for Pinergy, your competitor. Easy enough product to sell, only problem is that its a very limited market for it, and once they have been around a few times, it becomes more difficult to find new people willing to switch over to the prepay meters, especially with the €136 extra standing charge!

Send over an email with your contact details to Energia using the email address provided in that post I linked to, mark it "FAO: Boards.ie" and I will contact you sometime in the next week if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Could not agree with you more. However I was replying to someone who said commission only jobs are not good. Which is just a load of utter garbage really. I have been commission only since the year 2000 and I love it. I wouldn't dream of accepting a salary. In fact several times companies have tried to headhunt me and I have refused solely on their requirement that I go on salary. The smart people do not have a salary, unless they want to fund the ridiculous welfare bill this country has.

What do you mean when you imply that you don't fund the ridiculous welfare bill in this country?

What do you mean when you imply that you don't fund the ridiculous welfare bill in this country?

I will leave you to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

So u have been with this company comm only since 2000. Jasus u must be a slow worker, or you have visited the same people over and over again, or are there more reps in the company aswell? I smell a lot of bs comming from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Either 1, he is not paying tax to keep the countries welfare recipients with food in their mouth or 2, he doesn't earn enough to pay tax on his earnings, due to all those bills for lunch, petrol etc.etc. and of course 4/5 pairs of shoes a year and an ould goretex rain coat

So u have been with this company comm only since 2000. Jasus u must be a slow worker, or you have visited the same people over and over again, or are there more reps in the company aswell? I smell a lot of bs comming from you.

I think you should mind your manners, if you cannot be respectful, I suggest taking yourself off somewhere else.

I said I have been commission only since 2000, I never said I was with the same company all that time. Try reading the post first before mouthing off, save you from embarrassing yourself any further.

padma wrote: »
    Either 1, he is not paying tax to keep the countries welfare recipients with food in their mouth or 2, he doesn't earn enough to pay tax on his earnings, due to all those bills for lunch, petrol etc.etc. and of course 4/5 pairs of shoes a year and an ould goretex rain coat

Have you seen the price of the Gore-tex jackets? I tell you, with a good accountant you would be surprised what can be written off.

I stand over what I said.........

I still think your talking bs

• Advertisement

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, or maybe you wont but I can't figure it out. Please enlighten me.

I still think your talking bs

About what exactly?

Are you upset because you didnt manage to make any money when you tried a commission only job? Did the bad man shout and you and tell you to go and get a proper job and stop bothering folks in their homes? Did you take it personally and cry and complain to your manager that nobody was interested and then quit like a loser?

Meanwhile, in another part of town I was smashing in the sales making a fortune and thinking to myself how easy it is to make money and hoping that the recession continues and gets worse as it makes my job easier and easier!

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, or maybe you wont but I can't figure it out. Please enlighten me.

Many costs can be written off as they are an expense associated with work. With a good accountant you would certainly be paying a lot less than you would be had you been employed.

Many costs can be written off as they are an expense associated with work. With a good accountant you would certainly be paying a lot less than you would be had you been employed.

Ok so. I'm interested. You said previously that you are now working for Energia? Are you working on a contract of services or a contract for service basis?

Ok so. I'm interested. You said previously that you are now working for Energia? Are you working on a contract of services or a contract for service basis?

When I said I was working for Energia, that was in response to a question someone else asked as they wanted to know what I was selling, as they probably thought it sounded good if I had been there for a while.

I am self-employed there, the same as everyone else. I get paid commission on my sales and that is all. If I make no sales, then I get no pay, if I make a lot of sales, I earn more pay. Pretty much most direct sales jobs operate in this manner. The problem people face is that sales is a very tough industry that requires you to have a very strong mindset and for you to be able to handle customers aggression. So many try and fail at the job, it is like a revolving door of people coming and going. The good ones stay and the poor ones go.

The problem which makes all of this worse, is when you are working for an agency who set out to deliberately rip you off. They have you working all the hours and enforce conditions which would apply to an employed person. Then they dont pay you correctly and next thing you are sacked. That is pretty much the whole reason for this thread, to warn others of dodgy agencies to help them avoid them.

The only reason I posted is because it would seem that every commission only job is a scam, and that the only people making a living are the bosses. While Im sure my superiors make a healthy living, so do I and I work part-time hours to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Could not agree with you more. However I was replying to someone who said commission only jobs are not good. Which is just a load of utter garbage really. I have been commission only since the year 2000 and I love it. I wouldn't dream of accepting a salary. In fact several times companies have tried to headhunt me and I have refused solely on their requirement that I go on salary. The smart people do not have a salary, unless they want to fund the ridiculous welfare bill this country has.

do you pay tax?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    do you pay tax?

As little as possible. I mentioned about writing things off a couple of posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

As little as possible. I mentioned about writing things off a couple of posts ago.

but you still pay tax so your contributing too the idiots who help fund the social welfare.

You do relise you insulted most of the country infact most of the world with that statement :pac:

good job though I wouldn't be able to hack a commission job, need a steady income and I get angry quite fast so if someone shut the door on me while shouting abuse I'd probably put their window in:pac: although I understand people knocking on doors I hate them as well

About what exactly?

Are you upset because you didnt manage to make any money when you tried a commission only job? Did the bad man shout and you and tell you to go and get a proper job and stop bothering folks in their homes? Did you take it personally and cry and complain to your manager that nobody was interested and then quit like a loser?

Meanwhile, in another part of town I was smashing in the sales making a fortune and thinking to myself how easy it is to make money and hoping that the recession continues and gets worse as it makes my job easier and easier!
    Eh no, i have a real job tjat pays tax same one since 1989 so to answer your childish post........no and ur still talking bs, another part of town, who are u john fcuking wyane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Eh no, i have a real job tjat pays tax same one since 1989 so to answer your childish post........no and ur still talking bs, another part of town, who are u john fcuking wyane

Whats a ''real job''?

• Advertisement

I am glad to see that you have managed to find employment. You have provided hope for everyone else that is looking for work. Once they see that someone with your level of literacy skills can hold down a job, they can feel positive for the future.

I think you had best be off to bed now, its just past midnight and no doubt you will have to be up early to help contribute to society. Good man!

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    but you still pay tax so your contributing too the idiots who help fund the social welfare.

You do relise you insulted most of the country infact most of the world with that statement :pac:

good job though I wouldn't be able to hack a commission job, need a steady income and I get angry quite fast so if someone shut the door on me while shouting abuse I'd probably put their window in:pac: although I understand people knocking on doors I hate them as well

There have been a few incidents over the years which have tested my patience!

If people have no choice but to be employed, then that is not their fault. It is not a wise financial choice in direct sales if you have the option to be self-employed. I did not mean everyone on PAYE was an idiot, I should have made that a little clearer.

I do contribute to society, and for that I receive many benefits. However when I see people who do not want to work out of laziness or because they don't feel its worth working for "just a little bit more than on welfare" then it really frustrates me. Anyway I do not want to drag this way off topic as there are many threads about welfare etc on this forum.

There have been a few incidents over the years which have tested my patience!

If people have no choice but to be employed, then that is not their fault. It is not a wise financial choice in direct sales if you have the option to be self-employed. I did not mean everyone on PAYE was an idiot, I should have made that a little clearer.

I do contribute to society, and for that I receive many benefits. However when I see people who do not want to work out of laziness or because they don't feel its worth working for "just a little bit more than on welfare" then it really frustrates me. Anyway I do not want to drag this way off topic as there are many threads about welfare etc on this forum.

Idiot.

Idiot.

You really should not be so hard on yourself.

Now please, do stop posting if you are not going to contribute anything other than drivel, nobody is interested. I will no longer be replying to you because there is no point, the only outcome is that you are going to find yourself banned from boards for being abusive towards other members.

U won't reply any more? Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

U won't reply any more? Result.

don't post again in this thread please.

@TireeTerror, drop the attitude too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cogkush

Hi guys & gals. Got a phonecall today from a company called 'Flawless Marketing' in Cork City. They said they will tell me the details tomorrow about what I will be getting paid if I get the job. Does anybody have any experience with them? Is it entirely commission based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

cogkush wrote: »
    Hi guys & gals. Got a phonecall today from a company called 'Flawless Marketing' in Cork City. They said they will tell me the details tomorrow about what I will be getting paid if I get the job. Does anybody have any experience with them? Is it entirely commission based?

I mentioned them a few pages back. They also have offices in Limerick and Sligo.

Cobra style business model => don't even bother turning up to the interview.

Commission only and very low percentage at that. I knew someone who worked there for about eight months who was hitting targets yet still only making about two quid an hour for an eighty hour week. Avoid at all costs.

If sales is your forte, there are plenty of reputable, decent sales companies out there like Vodafone, Energia and the like who pay good commission and don't demand their reps to work stupid hours under awful conditions. There you can make a tidy amount of money, if you're good.

Seriously, forget Flawless Marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cogkush

Thanks for the reply mate, I appreciate it. Do you know any good way to distinguish between scam companies like Flawless Marketing and good ones like Energia? The only way I can tell right now is that Flawless Marketing seem to be posting adverts all over jobs.ie every few weeks, which made me very sceptical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

First of all the dodgy outfits have very flashy names like Total Xtreme Marketing (a made up name). They change names quite often as they earn very bad reputations.

Their job adverts seem very appealing without actually saying anything about the job. Things like "sick of working in the supermarket...", "no experience? No problem!!!" and so on.

Most of them won't tell you that the job involves direct sales on a commission-only basis until you actually start. If they're being vague about the job on the phone and in the interview, then they're dodgy. Legit companies will be upfront about this.

One poster on the last page mentioned that he represents Energia. Maybe you could send him a private message and he could help you to get in contact with the right people

Advertisement