Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

lala88 wrote: »
    I know two people who have worked with them. One was told to leave straight away or he'd never get another job in sales if people found out he had worked with them.

The second left a few weeks as he was sick of pretty much being bullied and not getting paid for sales.

They have also started to badmouth CPM, a bad sign when you have to start with that kind of s***.

Defo cowboys mate their staff turnover is massive...I know two lads who worked for them and were hounded out no commission. Nowt, and bullied aswell, wouldn't be me.....cpm, now nowt of them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

seanaway wrote: »
    Thanks Lala88

Seems like they aren't worth looking at so. Ayone know any good companies out there looking for trainers?
    Stay well away. Be for the best in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Thanks Guys

Appreciate the info.

I'll check cpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

Great post on Reddit from a guy who dealt with Mahon Enterprises, now dealing as TDR Connect, who I'm sure you've all seen spamming up Jobs.ie

http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/226l8p/just_thought_you_might_like_to_know_an_experience/

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

I have a 2nd interview with one of these dodgy companies, door to door commission only. I'm going along to what they called an "observation day" and take the p**s out of the people doing the door to door tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I have a 2nd interview with one of these dodgy companies, door to door commission only. I'm going along to what they called an "observation day" and take the p**s out of the people doing the door to door tripe.

Why don't you leave the field agents alone, I'm sure they are finding it tough enough without someone acting the moron going along for kicks.

I hope you have informed the welfare of your new role before you act too smart and start ridiculing people who are trying anything that will provide them a way to support themselves without being a burden on the state.

DSM based in Thurles are another of theses kind of companies. Much the same as SaleSenece

Why don't you leave the field agents alone, I'm sure they are finding it tough enough without someone acting the moron going along for kicks.

I hope you have informed the welfare of your new role before you act too smart and start ridiculing people who are trying anything that will provide them a way to support themselves without being a burden on the state.

I'm not on welfare, I wonder how many of these Field Agents are paying taxes or how many are claiming the dole on the sly?

I'm not on welfare, I wonder how many of these Field Agents are paying taxes or how many are claiming the dole on the sly?

Why don't you take a notepad with you, perhaps sit them down at lunchtime and start interrogating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Does anyone have information on Phoenix Marketing? My sister has an an interview with them tomorrow and I have some reservations about them as a business. Another door to door commission jobby? I think they may have been Roar Promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Clegg wrote: »
    Does anyone have information on Phoenix Marketing? My sister has an an interview with them tomorrow and I have some reservations about them as a business. Another door to door commission jobby? I think they may have been Roar Promotions.

Spoke with them recently. Phone watch, commission only. No salary. Door to door. Talk about decent incentives and getting 1k+ a week.

Having done door to door for just under a year with two well known companies, it's no walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

I've been contracted to an Appco/Cobra organization for nearly a year now. I've seen a lot of people come and go, seen a lot of people stay; seen people make a LOT of money, seen some make very little.

I think it's unfair to say it's a scam or a pyramid scheme, it's just a business. The opportunity is unbelievable though, it's transformed me from an 18 year old with no experience to become a businessman and an industry expert in sales and marketing.

The money itself is good if you work hard, I save more than half of what I make! I'm not sure what this craic is about this 2€/hour nonsense. You're working from 2.30 to 8 at the latest, the rest is optional (and free) sales coaching; which, btw, would cost thousands if you had to pay for it. Great experience, even if you move on after a month or two.

Moromaster wrote: »
    I've been contracted to an Appco/Cobra organization for nearly a year now. I've seen a lot of people come and go, seen a lot of people stay; seen people make a LOT of money, seen some make very little.

I think it's unfair to say it's a scam or a pyramid scheme, it's just a business. The opportunity is unbelievable though, it's transformed me from an 18 year old with no experience to become a businessman and an industry expert in sales and marketing.

The money itself is good if you work hard, I save more than half of what I make! I'm not sure what this craic is about this 2€/hour nonsense. You're working from 2.30 to 8 at the latest, the rest is optional (and free) sales coaching; which, btw, would cost thousands if you had to pay for it. Great experience, even if you move on after a month or two.

Why then are they not more upfront about what they do? Every other business tells the person what they will be doing in the interview why doesn't yours do the same? Why do they change name so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

lala88 wrote: »
    Why then are they not more upfront about what they do? Every other business tells the person what they will be doing in the interview why doesn't yours do the same? Why do they change name so much?
    Initial appointment; explanation of how commission works, company history and grade social skills, fluency etc are graded.

Open Day: Everything in detail; product, commissions, hours.

The name never changes, every person that gets promoted out has their own limited company. They can chose their own name or be a partner and have it be like a franchise.

Initial appointment; explanation of how commission works, company history and grade social skills, fluency etc are graded.

The name never changes, every person that gets promoted out has their own limited company. They can chose their own name or be a partner and have it be like a franchise.

Well thats strange because i have gone for an interview and there was never anything about how commission works, company history and grade social skills, fluency etc Care to explain that? Also the ''Open Day'' as you call it. Nothing about hours or commissions. Again care to explain?

Also care to explain the countless examples of name changes? Some even changing every few months?

What is the name of your company?

Its amazing. Im all for door to door commission only jobs, I've been doing it myself for 15 years.

In this time, I have witnessed the incredible control Cobra asserted over their agents. In the early days I wasted an awful lot of energy trying to convince individuals from their various campaigns to leave and join us. It was like pissing into the wind. Anyone good at sales is convinced they are going to become the next Richard Branson and no amount of facts or testaments from previous contractors with them would make them see sense. They are literally brainwashed.

The reality is that all I would have to do is give them my business card, and tell them to hang on to it "just in case" for the future. It usually was not too long before they called, when they had burnt out and started to realise things were not quite as they seemed.

They are selling a dream, but I assure you it will not be realised.

Do you get paid a basic, or are you commission only?

Owners never tell newbies how many new franchises go into liquidation after less than 12 months, I know someone who was an owner in Cork a number of years ago and he called it quits after 14 months.

You should also google Steve Broadey who had a franchise called Boss Worldwide Promotions Ltd, he was sued for €50k in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

What is the name of your company?

Its amazing. Im all for door to door commission only jobs, I've been doing it myself for 15 years.

In this time, I have witnessed the incredible control Cobra asserted over their agents. In the early days I wasted an awful lot of energy trying to convince individuals from their various campaigns to leave and join us. It was like pissing into the wind. Anyone good at sales is convinced they are going to become the next Richard Branson and no amount of facts or testaments from previous contractors with them would make them see sense. They are literally brainwashed.

The reality is that all I would have to do is give them my business card, and tell them to hang on to it "just in case" for the future. It usually was not too long before they called, when they had burnt out and started to realise things were not quite as they seemed.

They are selling a dream, but I assure you it will not be realised.

Do you get paid a basic, or are you commission only?

Who is us (sorry I tried reading all 78 pages of this thread and hung in as long as I could but .... )

And what do you sell?

What are Moromaster's company selling?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I really don't think it's fair big companies expect staff to work unpaid and commission only. I actually think it leads to a poor customer experience in the end and leaves a negative image with door to door sales people.

Maphisto wrote: »
    Who is us (sorry I tried reading all 78 pages of this thread and hung in as long as I could but .... )

And what do you sell?

What are Moromaster's company selling?

Well I'm talking about over a long period of time, so initially I would be talking to people I met whilst out in the field myself, and nowadays when recruiting for my own company.

I'm not going to talk about it here though, I'm not trying to recruit staff in here and it would take a brave man to try and promote commission only direct selling in this thread!

• Advertisement

Well I'm talking about over a long period of time, so initially I would be talking to people I met whilst out in the field myself, and nowadays when recruiting for my own company.

I'm not going to talk about it here though, I'm not trying to recruit staff in here and it would take a brave man to try and promote commission only direct selling in this thread!

I was chatting to a politician the other day and I asked him a question I thought only had a couple of possible answers but no.

What is the product?:
    a) Timeshare
    b) Space ship rides
    c) Life Insurance
    d) Swapping energy utilities

I was chatting to a politician the other day and I asked him a question I thought only had a couple of possible answers but no.

What is the product?:
    a) Timeshare
    b) Space ship rides
    c) Life Insurance
    d) Swapping energy utilities

I sold timeshare for 4 years in Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. Great money and very very easy if you've been properly trained on how to sell like I have. I got sick of the constant sunshine though and the people you made friends with who were not very successful who had to return home.

I sold timeshare for 4 years in Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. Great money and very very easy if you've been properly trained on how to sell like I have. I got sick of the constant sunshine though and the people you made friends with who were not very successful who had to return home.

Oh right, like a Ponzi scheme then?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

What's a Ponzi scheme?

What's a Ponzi scheme?

A form of pyramid selling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

I did not actually do the selling of the timeshares, my job was to run a team of OPC's, the guys in the street who ensnared tourists into free taxis to visit the resorts.

There was much more money to be made from that, as we got paid whether the tourists bought a timeshare or not. In theory the reps selling it could have made much more money, but most of them were washed out alcoholics who spent most of their days after work making excuses about how things have changed and its not like it used to be.....in other words, losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Worked for one of these companies for a whole summer a few years ago. Tough job. Long hours and there was very little reward, and I was actually making more money than most people in the office. Even the ones that get promoted to assistant manager/the next level have no guarantee of a sustained career. The potential for social welfare fraud is high in these types of offices too.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Worked for one of these companies for a whole summer a few years ago. Tough job. Long hours and there was very little reward, and I was actually making more money than most people in the office. Even the ones that get promoted to assistant manager/the next level have no guarantee of a sustained career. The potential for social welfare fraud is high in these types of offices too.

What were you selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

What were you selling?

Vodafone Door to Door. Tough business.

• Advertisement

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Vodafone Door to Door. Tough business.

Yes I can imagine it would be and thank you that is the first direct answer I've ever got about the product.

Advertisement