Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lala88 wrote: »
    Why? This is always the answer people on here give but never actually explain it

A lot of householders hate door to door sales persons.

A lot of people who did it, absolutely hated it. Why? Because it's a tough monotonous job and the pressure is mighty and motivation is often zero. A lot of the jobs are commission only - so if you don't make sales, you don't make money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Sully wrote: »
    A lot of householders hate door to door sales persons.

A lot of people who did it, absolutely hated it. Why? Because it's a tough monotonous job and the pressure is mighty and motivation is often zero. A lot of the jobs are commission only - so if you don't make sales, you don't make money.

Have ever done it? Or any of the people who say ''run a mile''? If not you're not really in a position to comment on it now are you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

lala88 wrote: »
    Have ever done it? Or any of the people who say ''run a mile''? If not you're not really in a position to comment on it now are you?

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, I am qualified to speak on it considering it did it for just shy a year for two major companies. I got paid a salary, wasn't commission only. Furthermore, I know a number of other people with a lot more experience than myself that I have worked with and continue to be friendly with and they all agree with my view.

Door to door sales is not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Those guys probably make more money in a month than you do in a year, so it seems like jealousy to me. Well done to them.

People that think all door to door jobs are crap are just crap at it. I went out on Friday from 9:30am and worked until 2pm and then headed home. I earned €800 in that time, knocking on doors. So tell me, what is so crap about it?

Course u did, and u prob paid your Prsi and tax plus your USC charge and didn't bother going to the post office for your labour?good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Those guys probably make more money in a month than you do in a year, so it seems like jealousy to me. Well done to them.

People that think all door to door jobs are crap are just crap at it. I went out on Friday from 9:30am and worked until 2pm and then headed home. I earned €800 in that time, knocking on doors. So tell me, what is so crap about it?

you worked from 9.30am to 2pm? Surely that was a bit early to go knocking on peoples doors.

• Advertisement

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    you worked from 9.30am to 2pm? Surely that was a bit early to go knocking on peoples doors.

Totally :-)

Also note, that times are a LOT different now and many people are a LOT more careful with how they spend their money. So getting sales isn't as easy as it was in the boom.

Sky have decided to withdraw from the door to door sales, having tried it directly themselves for six months. Most (if not all) of the agencies that were doing it are no longer doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Not at all. Today I was at a door at 9:25 and by 10:30 I was out in the car and heading to the Post Office to send the form away by registered post. Now to be honest I did leave the house about 8:35 this morning as I had to drive to the site I was at, but my bank balance is exactly €1020 better off for that few hours of my time. Not only that, but I will be on another training course next week for another product to sell alongside it and that will increase my revenue stream substantially.

As for the poster above asking about going to the Post Officer to claim labour, no I cannot do that, I'm not registered in the Republic so even if I was that way inclined, which I am not, I couldnt if I wanted to.

I do not generally work in the residential markets, I spend 90% of my time working in the commercial sector. If I am dealing with residential markets, I would normally contact estate agents or housing associations, rather than individual customers, its too time consuming and I wouldn't earn enough to justify relocating to Ireland.

Not at all. Today I was at a door at 9:25 and by 10:30 I was out in the car and heading to the Post Office to send the form away by registered post. Now to be honest I did leave the house about 8:35 this morning as I had to drive to the site I was at, but my bank balance is exactly K€1020 better off for that few hours of my time. Not only that, but I will be on another training course next week for another product to sell alongside it and that will increase my revenue stream substantially.

As for the poster above asking about going to the Post Officer to claim labour, no I cannot do that, I'm not registered in the Republic so even if I was that way inclined, which I am not, I couldnt if I wanted to.

I do not generally work in the residential markets, I spend 90% of my time working in the commercial sector. If I am dealing with residential markets, I would normally contact estate agents or housing associations, rather than individual customers, its too time consuming and I wouldn't earn enough to justify relocating to Ireland.
    So what do u sell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

So what do u sell

€1020 for 65mins work? Has to be class A drugs.

• Advertisement

So what do u sell

Various utilities. I cant specify company names as they have become ruthless if we talk about specific companies on social media. It did not used to be like that, but now as social media has taken over its now written into every contract I have signed in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

Just curious lads are any of these companies worth applying for I have seen a lot of these sales kind of jobs in the likes of jobs.ie roar promotions and what not , I currently am looking for work so was considering applying for some of these companies .

Is there any companies that anyone can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SpLiDi

Hi I have a question about XR marketing based in Dublin City Center is it commision only? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Well, I got a interview with "Consultonomics" in Limerick but now I've seen this thread and various links about MLMs.

Should I email them and tell them I'm not coming now I understand there is no minimum wage, or should I go and bring it up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Occono wrote: »
    Well, I got a interview with "Consultonomics" in Limerick but now I've seen this thread and various links about MLMs.

Should I email them and tell them I'm not coming now I understand there is no minimum wage, or should I go and bring it up there?

Maybe go for the interview experience if it isnt a long bus journey away. Otherwise dont both contacting them. They dont value your time.

Im sure someone will be here to tell you you'll be living on a yacht in a week from all the money you'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Maybe go for the interview experience if it isnt a long bus journey away. Otherwise dont both contacting them. They dont value your time.

Im sure someone will be here to tell you you'll be living on a yacht in a week from all the money you'll make.

It's not, it's just in town. I already emailed to cancel the interview though, I don't want to go into that knowing what the deal now. I'm fine, though I have read one person saying a similar-sounding company would tell welfare on them if they didn't take it in the end (though that was an empty threat).

Yeah, I don't even want to go in now. Desperation clouded the mind indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Update on Salessense.

I had three interviews with them.
    Told I was down to the last two.
    €150 and three days lost in travel only to be told they had made 'internal changes' and the post wasn't actually there.

Waste of time. There should be laws against them.

seanaway wrote: »
    Update on Salessense.

I had three interviews with them.
    Told I was down to the last two.
    €150 and three days lost in travel only to be told they had made 'internal changes' and the post wasn't actually there.

Waste of time. There should be laws against them.

I have a friend who works for them. Total shower of cowboys. Commissions have been wrong every week since he started. They promise huge commissions on certain products, but the target is so high that you have virtually no chance of ever achieving them, and I'm talking about my friend being a phenomenal salesman, not a halfwit trying it out to see how they get on.

In their defence, they have been recruiting for Bord Gais since Centrica gave them the contract for that. With BG meant to have been deregulated on 1st July this year, they should be out targeting gas consumers on a winback campaign soon. Thats what I would expect anyway. They also have other contracts like Vodafone selling in the commercial and domestic market.

I would stay well clear. They do that annoying thing where they keep trying to promote you if you're good, hitting you with all the usual crap about "opportunities like this are rare" blah blah blah. Dont forget having to check in like a 5 year old several times a day to tell your "team leader" how you're getting on. AWFUL!

Salessense bunch of cowboys over 90 sales staff through the door last. 6 months....there is a legal issue going against them at moment in relation to tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FHughes95

I have an interview with Flawless Marketing tomorrow morning, they're based in Sligo and I have to travel 2 hours to get there. Is it really worth it and what is the story with them?

• Advertisement

FHughes95 wrote: »
    I have an interview with Flawless Marketing tomorrow morning, they're based in Sligo and I have to travel 2 hours to get there. Is it really worth it and what is the story with them?

D2d comm only don't waste ur time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

FHughes95 wrote: »

No you should go. You never know, you might actually end up with that yacht that they all talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

allibastor wrote: »
    No you should go. You never know, you might actually end up with that yacht that they all talk about.

The only way he'll be on a yacht is if they send him down to the marina to try and sell prepay power :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Have interview with Roar promotions but would cost a bit to get the bus to Dublin, is it worth it or are the also d2d commission only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    Have interview with Roar promotions but would cost a bit to get the bus to Dublin, is it worth it or are the also d2d commission only?

Yup, they're d2d and commission only.

Salessense bunch of cowboys over 90 sales staff through the door last. 6 months....there is a legal issue going against them at moment in relation to tax

No Suprise there in either of those points.

They should be shut down.

The big questions is:
    IF this info is on Boards, tehn why is it companies like VF and Bord Gais don't check here before giving them contracts? Bad business sense. (pardon the almost pun)

Why would they NOT use them. The only pay for the sales which are made, nothing more. They may give some promotional material out, or maybe rent them the handheld units for sales but nothing more.

They get a very high return rate for whatever little capital they put in. They avoid any issues with bad press as it is not up to them to regulate their sub-contractors business methods.

As much as I hate these companies, If I had a product which could be sold door to door I would use them as there is very little cash outlay to yield your returns.

Why would they NOT use them. The only pay for the sales which are made, nothing more. They may give some promotional material out, or maybe rent them the handheld units for sales but nothing more.

They get a very high return rate for whatever little capital they put in. They avoid any issues with bad press as it is not up to them to regulate their sub-contractors business methods.

As much as I hate these companies, If I had a product which could be sold door to door I would use them as there is very little cash outlay to yield your returns.

All well and fine until the public get fed up of untrained, ill-informed, and sometimes untruthful sales people flogging useless products or good products mis-sold.

I'd stay away from a company using shoddy businesses like this.

seanaway wrote: »
    All well and fine until the public get fed up of untrained, ill-informed, and sometimes untruthful sales people flogging useless products or good products mis-sold.

I'd stay away from a company using shoddy businesses like this.

I am sure the public are fed up of it. The public were also fed up of water meters, but they didn't stop.

There can be 100 sales reps on the road for these companies, but as long as 1 sale a day comes in, its is 1 more sale for nothing.

• Advertisement

They avoid any issues with bad press as it is not up to them to regulate their sub-contractors business methods.

This is not true. Although they will deflect some bad publicity by explaining a particular issue was related to a subcontracted company, they are still ultimately responsible for their products being missold. Many companies have had to pay huge fines due to mis selling of their products by outside sales agencies.

Vodafone is the worst. Salessense actively encourage their sales staff to target people in areas with a poor internet connection, because they are desperate for an alternative they are much more likely to engage in dialogue. Then they intentionally mislead the customers telling them that Vodafone offer speeds of "X" when they know the speed is only going to be as fast as they currently get.

I know this for a fact as I sent someone there from my own company to go in as a new recruit and find out their processes. Even when that rep asked "But surely they wont get any faster than their line can handle?" they were told "You just tell the customer what they want to hear."

I might just send someone in with recording equipment the next time and see about getting that Vodafone contract removed from them. It disgusts me idiot cowboy companies like this who ruin an entire market by making decisions based on short term greed.

Vodafone are aware of these issues, but turn a blind eye because its a commercial decision and unless a customer really went all the way and escalated the complaint, no action would be taken. The reality is that sacking a rep would not solve the problem, they are being told from the highest level to mislead the customer.

Advertisement