Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Moromaster wrote: »
    I'm going to post a more in depth review of my experience with the Appco Group. Before I begin, I must warn you that I am currently working with the Appco Group, and have been for between 1 and 3 years.

There are a lot of positives and negatives about working on a commission only basis. To make above 500 euros on a weekly basis, it'll require a hell of a lot more work than would be required in most companies; but, if you can't make 500 euros elsewhere, the opportunity is certainly available within an Appco company.

Sales programme

I personally believe that working purely on the sales programme is stupid. If you are just knocking on doors/working at event stalls, no matter how much money you make, you will start to burn out after six months. That's why you'll never see people at other sales companies that have been around for more than a year.

Advantages

• Honestly, it's ridiculously flexible. I've had people on my team that had kids or responsibilities outside of working. If you only need between 200-350 euros a week, and you're remotely talented at sales, you can hit that in three or four days. You could also work from 3-7pm daily if you didn't want to go into the office at all.
    • While uncapped earnings sounds a bit bull****ty, it's definitely a fact. I was eighteen, I had no experience, and I was making more money some weeks than my parents. You can make absolutely nothing, that's definitely a risk, but you can also make a fortune.
    • It's just a cool place to work if you don't take on too many responsibilities. Anyone who's been in an Appco company for more than a week has seen a few morning meetings. The shouting and screaming looks goddamn terrifying and cultlike for the first few times you're in one, but after enough time, you start to look forward to them. It's a bit childish, but it's good fun.

Disadvantages

• For the sales programme, burnout is definitely a huge risk. Salespeople typically spend less time in educational meetings, and don't learn how to control the ups and downs that naturally occur. It can get boring too, you're just repeatedly doing the exact same thing day in and day out.
    • The upper limit of earnings typically is around 900-1100 euros on a weekly basis (If you're brilliant). That it, though. it's pretty hard to go beyond that; if you're not making money off anyones sales but your own.
    • You don't work. You don't get paid.

Business Development programme.

Advantages

• Firstly, silly, silly, silly money. One of my best friends just got his promotion to business ownership. He's 21 and he made 2000 euros last week. He didn't go on the field or do one personal sale. (Office with 35 people)
    • Trips! In my first year in the business, I was sent on five trips abroad. Unbelievable experiences.
    • Getting the opportunity to train brand new people, who may not be in the best financial situation, into crack salespeople. Passing on the opportunity.
    • Having a kickass CV. I am very young, and through my LinkedIn profile, I've been headhunted for some major tech firm's sales departments.
    • Personal development. I'm more confident than any of my friends that I grew up. I signed up a millionaire who sold airplane parts for a living to a bloody prepaid smartmeter because I gave him advice on delegation and how to scale some aspects of his business.
    Disadvantages

• It's unbelievably difficult. I hear a lot of people going 'Oh, it's bull****; you can't get promoted, they just tell you that to keep you around and brainwash you'. That is not true. Anyone can do it. It's just really tiring and requires you to live a startup lifestyle for 12-18 months to finish off a promotion. Look at inc.com or some website to see the lifestyle of some startup entrepreneurs. Not pretty.
    • It'll take a lot of time for you to learn how to live off your own commissions and train new people at the same time.
    • Because each sale matters more, you can massively lose your indifference if the day or week isn't going that well; which can reduce your performance more.
    • You have to be the best example. If you want to be like your owner or business partner, you have to become them. This can be hard for a lot of people, if they lack in confidence.

Overall, do I love the Appco Group? Absolutely not. There is a lot of stuff that goes wrong on a weekly basis, it's not at all some person little bubble. What it does do though, is gives you the opportunity to go as near or as far as you want. I've created my own startup company within someone else's building, they've done my recruitment, they've provided me with territory, they've provided me with clients. I had to invest nothing.

Not everyone can do it, but I think everyone should give it a go for two months. You'll learn a lot about yourself, you'll come out a lot stronger, even if you quit. The training is free, and once you actually understand it, you can reapply it in nearly every industry.
    So tell us what ur selling, u kinda sound like a boss trying b to recruit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Sounds like he is converting people onto prepaid energy meters, most likely electricity. Which, if you dont already know, is a rip off.

In the UK prepaid energy meters are free of charge. However as ESB have been sickeningly reluctant to install them in the Republic, it has opened up the market for scoundrels such as Prepay Power and Pinergy to be created. The other main suppliers such as SSE, Bord Gais, Flo Gas and Electric Ireland have now responded to the large uptake bvy offering similar products. The problem I have is that unlike the UK, where these meters are designed to assist those who struggle to manage their finances with potentially cheaper than standard tariffs, these meters are actually the most expensive way to pay for electric in the country. Prepay Power and Pinergy for example, track the standard Electric Ireland price (that's the price with no discount) and then they add an additional charge of 37.5c per day to pay for the keypad they install in your house. You still have to pay for the standing charge for the normal meter, so you basically pay €136 per year for the prepay meter, and this charge with Pinergy and Prepay Power continues year after year. It is a complete con. They target areas of high unemployment as they know they are easy pickings. Having worked in the energy market since 2001, and I still do, this is among the most vile practice I have witnessed.

I have heard so many stories like the essay above about the one guy who made it, I just do not believe it, because I have met hundreds who have hated every aspect of Appco. Why do you think its not called Cobra anymore? Their reputation preceded them! It is no use trying to tell someone who is still currently there, because they have very sinister sales techniques designed to brainwash their victims, and believe me, victims is exactly what they are.

There is a reason why they have not one single long term employee other than the bosses themselves, because they seek only to exploit the young and the desperate. Regardless of what they tell you, if it was good people would stay. I know sales people who are at the same place for many years in a row because they get treated with respect and are paid fairly for what they sell.

To any youngsters out there desperate for work and who may think "I might as well give it a go, what have I to lose?", well avoid Appco like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LusciousOis

Hi lads,

I know a lot of door2door companies have been mentioned on here but I'd just like to share my experience (thus far) with Consultonomics in Limerick City and would appreciate any information on them of any sorts or just a general chat its all good.

So I knew what the "company" was before even setting foot inside the place, i.e door2door sales. However, from the ad on Jobs.ie it seemed as if there were maybe different aspects to what they did and so I gave it a go and applied and got a call for an interview and a follow email discussing what the interview will be about (My experience, why I would be a good addition to the team, The company, what they do, pay structures the whole lot).

I went to the building, went into the reception area of their offices and filled out an application form. Their offices were on the 4th floor of a building with other companies and offices etc. The place was very bare, nothing was going on at all and there was about 3 rooms in total in the place, very small. I heard this guy shouting out from one of the rooms to the guy at reception about "business" and "targets" and the securing a new "client". I was greatly suspicious.

Anyways out comes Joe (I won't give his full name) the Managing Director of the place and I'd say anywhere between 23-26 years old. I shake his hand and he takes me into another room with one desk and two chairs and that's it, not even a painting on the wall. The interview lasted around 20 minutes, a relatively long interview by all standards, especially when in the whole 20 minutes I was only asked three questions about myself; What am I doing now? what am I hoping to do in the future? and what age am I? To which I said I was 22 and he responded "oh you're only a young fella so," pretty rich I thought coming from another young fella. The rest of the interview consisted of him talking about himself, and who he is and what he is all about. He writes everything he says down and all over my application form that I've just filled out, on the back, on the front and pretty much anywhere that doesn't have print on it drawing arrows and circles here there and everywhere. He tells me all these wonderful things, that he started this company and that they had a market share starting out at 1,500 people and now reach close to one million people. He tells me that they also have offices in Galway, Cork, and Dublin (I CANNOT for the life of me find any evidence of this whatsoever, their Facebook, LinkedIn and their own website only ever mention Limerick, unless they are under different names). He then moves on to tell me that they are expanding internationally later this year to London, New York and Australia all the while still writing all this down on my application form. About 10 minutes pass and I try to ask him questions about what they do here but simply get cut off by him as he rambles on about something else. All I could gather is that they "market" and sell energy? So I presume prepaid energy like Pinergy and that.

At the end of the interview he invites me back for an observation day where I can immerse myself in the day to day goings on in the company, sit in on presentations, meetings and meet the team as well as their clients.

I came out of the place laughing to myself, I never experienced anything like it. I would honestly love to go back for the observation day, which is next Friday, but they tell me it is from 12:00pm to 8:00pm and I really don't have the time or patience for the wool being pulled over my eyes. I also read a couple of pages back that there's a possibility I could be put in a car and drove off to a town miles away to do Door 2 Door, which I don't fancy.

If anyone could tell me of their experiences with Consultonomics specifically that would be great, I'd appreciate it.
    To end sorry for the long post and any spelling mistakes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Palyo

Hi lads,

I know a lot of door2door companies have been mentioned on here but I'd just like to share my experience (thus far) with Consultonomics in Limerick City and would appreciate any information on them of any sorts or just a general chat its all good.

So I knew what the "company" was before even setting foot inside the place, i.e door2door sales. However, from the ad on Jobs.ie it seemed as if there were maybe different aspects to what they did and so I gave it a go and applied and got a call for an interview and a follow email discussing what the interview will be about (My experience, why I would be a good addition to the team, The company, what they do, pay structures the whole lot).

I went to the building, went into the reception area of their offices and filled out an application form. Their offices were on the 4th floor of a building with other companies and offices etc. The place was very bare, nothing was going on at all and there was about 3 rooms in total in the place, very small. I heard this guy shouting out from one of the rooms to the guy at reception about "business" and "targets" and the securing a new "client". I was greatly suspicious.

Anyways out comes Joe (I won't give his full name) the Managing Director of the place and I'd say anywhere between 23-26 years old. I shake his hand and he takes me into another room with one desk and two chairs and that's it, not even a painting on the wall. The interview lasted around 20 minutes, a relatively long interview by all standards, especially when in the whole 20 minutes I was only asked three questions about myself; What am I doing now? what am I hoping to do in the future? and what age am I? To which I said I was 22 and he responded "oh you're only a young fella so," pretty rich I thought coming from another young fella. The rest of the interview consisted of him talking about himself, and who he is and what he is all about. He writes everything he says down and all over my application form that I've just filled out, on the back, on the front and pretty much anywhere that doesn't have print on it drawing arrows and circles here there and everywhere. He tells me all these wonderful things, that he started this company and that they had a market share starting out at 1,500 people and now reach close to one million people. He tells me that they also have offices in Galway, Cork, and Dublin (I CANNOT for the life of me find any evidence of this whatsoever, their Facebook, LinkedIn and their own website only ever mention Limerick, unless they are under different names). He then moves on to tell me that they are expanding internationally later this year to London, New York and Australia all the while still writing all this down on my application form. About 10 minutes pass and I try to ask him questions about what they do here but simply get cut off by him as he rambles on about something else. All I could gather is that they "market" and sell energy? So I presume prepaid energy like Pinergy and that.

At the end of the interview he invites me back for an observation day where I can immerse myself in the day to day goings on in the company, sit in on presentations, meetings and meet the team as well as their clients.

I came out of the place laughing to myself, I never experienced anything like it. I would honestly love to go back for the observation day, which is next Friday, but they tell me it is from 12:00pm to 8:00pm and I really don't have the time or patience for the wool being pulled over my eyes. I also read a couple of pages back that there's a possibility I could be put in a car and drove off to a town miles away to do Door 2 Door, which I don't fancy.

If anyone could tell me of their experiences with Consultonomics specifically that would be great, I'd appreciate it.
    To end sorry for the long post and any spelling mistakes! :)

They are part of an umbrella company called Credico, who do indeed have offices throughout Ireland,Europe, N.America and Australia, however the company in Limerick with whom you interviewed with are not monetary beneficiaries of these other offices, only what they promote out themselves.

It is a commission only basis job, selling Airtricty door to door.
    If you work hard and the opportunity is what you want, go in on friday, you have nothing to lose, if anything you gain an insight to selling and marketing which will help you in your future.

Regards

Palyo wrote: »
    They are part of an umbrella company called Credico, who do indeed have offices throughout Ireland,Europe, N.America and Australia, however the company in Limerick with whom you interviewed with are not monetary beneficiaries of these other offices, only what they promote out themselves.

It is a commission only basis job, selling Airtricty door to door.
    If you work hard and the opportunity is what you want, go in on friday, you have nothing to lose, if anything you gain an insight to selling and marketing which will help you in your future.

Regards

Thank you but I'd definitely rather not to now. Your post has just proved the lies I was fed. Joe made it sound like it was his business, a business he built and that he, himself, is currently expanding into New York, London and Australia. It's funny how you are able to tell me they do Door 2 Door for Airtricity yet I wasn't even given a hint in the interview. You obviously are in this line of work and I get that you are defending it and respect that. However, it is not for me. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Thank you but I'd definitely rather not to now. Your post has just proved the lies I was fed. Joe made it sound like it was his business, a business he built and that he, himself, is currently expanding into New York, London and Australia. It's funny how you are able to tell me they do Door 2 Door for Airtricity yet I wasn't even given a hint in the interview. You obviously are in this line of work and I get that you are defending it and respect that. However, it is not for me. Thank you.

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Credico... sounds a lot like Appco....

I wonder... *goes to Google*

Yup. Same crowd. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You know what you need to sell energy door to door? Brass balls. Go and do likewise ladies and gents. The money is out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Can anyone tell me about Phoenix Marketing? Have a job interview with them Wednesday for a sales roll. Bit worried it might be one of those commission only jobs, it wasn't really specified in the job listing

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1435305

tgdaly wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me about Phoenix Marketing? Have a job interview with them Wednesday for a sales roll. Bit worried it might be one of those commission only jobs, it wasn't really specified in the job listing

It is apart of that Appco group that everyone on here seems to recommend staying away from. So obviously they have many offices all over Ireland which isn't necessarily a bad thing but seems dodge that they have to change their names every so often and have the same company under different names all over the country. You should go for the interview and see what happens you might think it's for you who knows. See if it's anything like my experience above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

It is apart of that Appco group that everyone on here seems to recommend staying away from. So obviously they have many offices all over Ireland which isn't necessarily a bad thing but seems dodge that they have to change their names every so often and have the same company under different names all over the country. You should go for the interview and see what happens you might think it's for you who knows. See if it's anything like my experience above.

Thanks for that. Ye I'll go the interview regardless. I'm just concerned about what the pay situation might be, is it all commission or is a certain amount guaranteed. I suppose I may just ask them Wednesday, I couldn't take a job that was solely commission based

Agent J wrote: »
    Credico... sounds a lot like Appco....

I wonder... *goes to Google*

Yup. Same crowd. Avoid like the plague.

While there are a lot of similarities between the two, they are also seperate in their dealings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1435305

They are almost certainly exactly the same. The amount of ambiguity in their ads is a dead give-away. The one and only time I have interviewed for one of these type of companies was about 15 years ago.
    If you spend enough time looking at jobs online, these type of companies are incredibly easy to spot, with multiple listing in completely inappropriate job categories. Only consider a role like this, if you are just out of school and want some extra pocket money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thanks for that. Ye I'll go the interview regardless. I'm just concerned about what the pay situation might be, is it all commission or is a certain amount guaranteed. I suppose I may just ask them Wednesday, I couldn't take a job that was solely commission based

It's solely commission with Phoenix, and not worth waiting your time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

In any other industry OTE means or at least used to mean over-time excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Palyo wrote: »
    While there are a lot of similarities between the two, they are also seperate in their dealings

Uh huh..

So similar Appco used to own Credico?

http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/appco-group-financial-services-ltd-04339039/
    https://www.kompany.co.uk/p/uk/04339039

For those of you just tuning in. These companies do this all the time. They change their names after a year or two because they gather so much of a bad reputation. The larger ones don't tend to do it that often but they tend to try and fuzz things a bit.

Go back through the earlier posts of this thread and you'll see those companies don't really exist anymore.

In any other industry OTE means or at least used to mean over-time excluded.
    It means on target earnings

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Felix Culpa

As someone who has recently quit working in Direct Sales, I thought I'd share what my experience was for people deciding whether or not to go into an interview.

Just for a bit of credibility, I was an Assistant Owner and I worked in an Appco office for about two years. I was doing door to door sales on commission.

First thing, there are good offices, and there are terrible offices; there's a huge amount of variance. Sometimes good offices become bad, and vice-versa. The industry itself is fine, it's legitimate. The problem comes in when the "leaders" responsible for coaching new people are inept and the MDs start bull****ting their people.

The biggest issue for me is that you're asked to do small bits of 'development work', and this workload is gradually piled on until you're spending 70% of your working day doing things that you don't get paid for. Whenever this is questioned, you're given some sort of spiel like 'You want to run an office someday? Well this is the stuff you've got to learn'. This is only true to an extent, due to the fact that if you don't end up running a location, then you've spent hundreds of hours doing unpaid work. Which is the reality.

Money itself, yeah, it's okay. I made an average of four hundred euros on a weekly basis. I was pretty good at pulling out sales, and to be perfectly honest, I feel like I committed a lot of sales that, while certainly not pushy, I feel to be rather unethical. (Impulsing someone to buy a product that they either have no need for, or cannot realistically afford).

All in all though, I eventually got fed up of a lack of support and crushing workload; I eventually got horribly sick from pure burnout. There was no 'Hey good one mate, hope to see you around', it was more of a 'We need to make up a good story so the fact that you quit doesn't make other people question the system'.

Now though, I'm ridiculously young and I have no college experience; but, I'm working in a major international company as a Business Development Manager earning 23 euros an hour, and all of my colleagues are probably my senior by twenty years. There is no way I could be working this sort of work without the experience and training that Appco gave me, so I have to be grateful.

If ya' have any questions feel free to ask.

23e an hour?? What are u a Jnr doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My Mom is far from a doctor and gets 30e+ an hour. Pays to get a job after you get a degree, particularly if you graduate in science or engineering!

• Advertisement

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    My Mom is far from a doctor and gets 30e+ an hour. Pays to get a job after you get a degree, particularly if you graduate in science or engineering!
    That's great

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Felix Culpa

Ha! 20+ an hour is relatively normal middle bracket pay. My friend who's a GP earns about 120K a year, and I'll earn about 47k before tax so it's hardly mega money. But it's a decent chunk for an ex-d2d salesperson with no degree.

And btw, the D2D companies are contracted to Appco. They open and close quite regularly, which is definitely a negative, but it's hardly a situation where they change their names for publicity reasons.

As far as I remember, Roar Promotions and XR Marketing have been registered for about a decade or so. The market for D2D companies here is stupidly saturated, it's not really that profitable in Ireland anymore. That's why ACT, CBC and Blackwater have moved to The Netherlands; Intense moved to France. I can't really think of any off hand that have closed for good recently (Bar Spire, but that was probably six years ago), all of the closed office's are usually an "Owner-Partnership" deal; they're a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gaga84

Any know anything about horizon energy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ha! 20+ an hour is relatively normal middle bracket pay. My friend who's a GP earns about 120K a year, and I'll earn about 47k before tax so it's hardly mega money. But it's a decent chunk for an ex-d2d salesperson with no degree.

And btw, the D2D companies are contracted to Appco. They open and close quite regularly, which is definitely a negative, but it's hardly a situation where they change their names for publicity reasons.

As far as I remember, Roar Promotions and XR Marketing have been registered for about a decade or so. The market for D2D companies here is stupidly saturated, it's not really that profitable in Ireland anymore. That's why ACT, CBC and Blackwater have moved to The Netherlands; Intense moved to France. I can't really think of any off hand that have closed for good recently (Bar Spire, but that was probably six years ago), all of the closed office's are usually an "Owner-Partnership" deal; they're a dime a dozen.

Are you on crack?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

I have an interview with Consultonomics on Friday. I found the job on Jobs.ie. Should I bother going if im not interested in door to door? I see a few people saying they advertise different jobs on the website and then when they have you in they mention its door to door. I just dont want to waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

I agree with most of these comments. My advice would be to AVOID COMMISSION BASED JOBS!!!!!!!!!!

I had 2 interviews recently and quiet frankly they were not worth any of the hastle.There is no fixed salary with these sales jobs,and your working off commission, if you don't make a sale, you don't get paid, could be 8 hours out in the cold with no pay. It's actually very clever the way that they word and present everything, specially on jobs.ie,avoiding all the important details, and misleading potential job seekers!

Let me start with Intense Communications, based in Dublin,went for an interview recently and we were involved in a big group interview. The main guy was trying to glorify the agency, claiming that they worked with big companies, not giving much away,that the expansion was huge and it was going overseas, and foreign investment was flooding in,then claimed that training was provided, training that would cost €5000 euro, or more, in any college. He made reference to the fact that the company could not stop growing, no matter what, and that only a few lucky people would be chosen the next day. So I got a call and returned, full of hope, and then I quickly found out that everything that he had said previously was false and it turned out to be a job begging on the street for DogsTrust. The guy that was meant to be training me in that day was a school leaver of about 17 years of age, along with some of his henchmen,also about 17-20, with no skills or qualification. It's a last resort job, if you are an early school leaver, or free for a summer!

Next up was Ace8 Media, again based in Dublin. Went for an interview, interviewer wasn't really giving anything away there and then, he told me straight out that I would be on a fixed pay, so I returned the next day, went to observe one of the other workers for the day, then he told me that he was working on commission, and the only way that he would get a fixed salary was if he sold more than 6 products a day, poor man! He had told me that he made €40 the day before for an 8 hour working day. The way that he was approaching the people was forceful, literally in their faces, on every given occasion, trying to sell the products.

To conclude, I don't see any positives working at these kind of jobs. You will be neglected and abused by these agencies, hated by people on the streets, with little hope of progression!!!!

Parasites

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I agree with most of these comments. My advice would be to AVOID COMMISSION BASED JOBS!!!!!!!!!!

I had 2 interviews recently and quiet frankly they were not worth any of the hastle.There is no fixed salary with these sales jobs,and your working off commission, if you don't make a sale, you don't get paid, could be 8 hours out in the cold with no pay. It's actually very clever the way that they word and present everything, specially on jobs.ie,avoiding all the important details, and misleading potential job seekers!

Let me start with Intense Communications, based in Dublin,went for an interview recently and we were involved in a big group interview. The main guy was trying to glorify the agency, claiming that they worked with big companies, not giving much away,that the expansion was huge and it was going overseas, and foreign investment was flooding in,then claimed that training was provided, training that would cost €5000 euro, or more, in any college. He made reference to the fact that the company could not stop growing, no matter what, and that only a few lucky people would be chosen the next day. So I got a call and returned, full of hope, and then I quickly found out that everything that he had said previously was false and it turned out to be a job begging on the street for DogsTrust. The guy that was meant to be training me in that day was a school leaver of about 17 years of age, along with some of his henchmen,also about 17-20, with no skills or qualification. It's a last resort job, if you are an early school leaver, or free for a summer!

Next up was Ace8 Media, again based in Dublin. Went for an interview, interviewer wasn't really giving anything away there and then, he told me straight out that I would be on a fixed pay, so I returned the next day, went to observe one of the other workers for the day, then he told me that he was working on commission, and the only way that he would get a fixed salary was if he sold more than 6 products a day, poor man! He had told me that he made €40 the day before for an 8 hour working day. The way that he was approaching the people was forceful, literally in their faces, on every given occasion, trying to sell the products.

To conclude, I don't see any positives working at these kind of jobs. You will be neglected and abused by these agencies, hated by people on the streets, with little hope of progression!!!!

Its true these companies are pretty brutal, full of fluff and pomp. Knocking on doors however for commission only is the building block for excellent sales skills. Its the toughest sales job you can get, requires the most mental fortitude, and to be successful requires cultivating brilliant sales skills that will stand to you for the rest of your life.
    The training in many of them is top notch, their system works.

After I got my degree in university - marketing - I couldnt get a job, and after 3 months of trying. I started with one of these door to door companies selling telecom. 4 weeks later armed with the sales skills i had learned and bits and pieces picked up on the business itself I set up my own company and got my own telecom reseller contract (and I dont mean as one of their subsidiaries, I quit when they wanted me to travel home for 2 hours to pick up my sales ID :D.)
    3000 door to door sales later I sold my company and moved onto setting up other business that fortunately dont involve knocking on doors!
    Im pretty certain without the training skills I learned traipsing 12 hours a day in the rain around housing estates, I wouldn't have gone on to bigger and better things.
    You'd also be surprised some of the people that have become very successful after starting on this bottom rung - Mark Cuban to name one. The people that have done and come out the other side will usually testify it made a man out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

Anyone ever worked for this company and if so what was their experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

El Rifle-have to agree people who manage to do door to door for some time are like war veterans.

Now onto issue i have at least 1-2 of eircom/sky/gas/eletricity door salesman coming over every month and can only feel sorry for them,since ive been using some of their services over the years and paying over the roof for charges like phone line,extra packages etc-who the f uses phone line these days besides large businesses and old people really.last straw was when Ive seen my BB line that was hanging on two pieces of wire thats 40years old,horrible days,when people in other estates had like x100 the speed.Same with tv,i dont need it BB gets you anything you want in minutes nowadays.

So to cut some slack now i just give lowest number in my head when im asked how much i pay monthly and they are on their way.

thinking of this age id imagine such practice would be non existent on such companies-if you offer something better surely couple ads and word will spread,but if companies need to lure people that their service can match another it surely means they are way to late,since focus was to make $ during good times rather then provide better service.

Advertisement