Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

Its true these companies are pretty brutal, full of fluff and pomp. Knocking on doors however for commission only is the building block for excellent sales skills. Its the toughest sales job you can get, requires the most mental fortitude, and to be successful requires cultivating brilliant sales skills that will stand to you for the rest of your life.
    The training in many of them is top notch, their system works.

After I got my degree in university - marketing - I couldnt get a job, and after 3 months of trying. I started with one of these door to door companies selling telecom. 4 weeks later armed with the sales skills i had learned and bits and pieces picked up on the business itself I set up my own company and got my own telecom reseller contract (and I dont mean as one of their subsidiaries, I quit when they wanted me to travel home for 2 hours to pick up my sales ID :D.)
    3000 door to door sales later I sold my company and moved onto setting up other business that fortunately dont involve knocking on doors!
    Im pretty certain without the training skills I learned traipsing 12 hours a day in the rain around housing estates, I wouldn't have gone on to bigger and better things.
    You'd also be surprised some of the people that have become very successful after starting on this bottom rung - Mark Cuban to name one. The people that have done and come out the other side will usually testify it made a man out of them.

I agree,these kind of jobs can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.I agree with everything that you have said,you can definitely learn a lot and gain some valuable experience,but my point was that I didn't apply for a door to door sales job in the first place.If I wanted this job then I would apply for myself!

It's the way that these jobs are presented that annoyed me, customer service in an office environment, couldnt be further from the truth. I wasn't lied to once,but twice, interviewer told me that it was an office job, suited my skills, degree, but that wasn't the case.

Clearly many more people have fallen for this scam,and continue falling for this scam. There should be a fraud alert website in place for companies that mislead job seekers.

I am still angered and insulted, there is no way that I would be able to stop people on the streets and beg them for money, literally BEGGING!!!

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I agree,these kind of jobs can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.I agree with everything that you have said,you can definitely learn a lot and gain some valuable experience,but my point was that I didn't apply for a door to door sales job in the first place.If I wanted this job then I would apply for myself!

It's the way that these jobs are presented that annoyed me, customer service in an office environment, couldnt be further from the truth. I wasn't lied to once,but twice, interviewer told me that it was an office job, suited my skills, degree, but that wasn't the case.

Clearly many more people have fallen for this scam,and continue falling for this scam. There should be a fraud alert website in place for companies that mislead job seekers.

I am still angered and insulted, there is no way that I would be able to stop people on the streets and beg them for money, literally BEGGING!!!

For sure, I went for an interview to a "sports marketing' job, and ended up selling door to door telecom. If there was a such a word as 'ethicless' you could apply it to these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Flawless in limerick rang me there. Want to talk to me about my application. Anything I should be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Flawless in limerick rang me there. Want to talk to me about my application. Anything I should be aware of?

Commission only door to door run a mile m8

Commission only door to door run a mile m8

Cheers, Phone Watch just rang me there so I've an interview with them tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Anyone know where Phonewatch are based in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cullow123

Intense communications have changed there name to intense marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Listen pal u are there since fen on business team u are 1 of 2 and only 2 still der since then my sales were there I moved in to better things and if u call 25k a year plus a 10 er a day petrol an amazing wage then ur deluded they are in NoBODY stays anymore than 6 months most realise t e is a twat over 100 reps have passed through the doors in under 12 months ur paid from 9/5.30 not 7.30 till 9 I could go on and on and for the record t e came to my home and tried to get me to stay I always got my 11 plus well 90% of the time, I'm not having a go at u if ur happy there then good in u but don't lie about how great they are there was a tread here all about them some time ago which has strangly disappeared, ur entitled to ur optinion as am I

MOD-NOTE: As per boards.ie rules, please don't use txt-spk. That means "u" is spelt "you" etc. And don't call people twats etc. Thank you.

Would love to know if your still with sales sence or was I (I no I was) right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hello4seasons!

Has anyone worked for LVE Enterprises or applied for any jobs with them. I have a interview with the company but not sure how reputable they are. I have a fear that they are similar to companies like Peerless Acquisitions, Stream Consumer Solutions, and Mahon Enterprises. I have applied for the role of "Trainee Management" but am afraid that this is essentially supervising door to door sales reps. Any input would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

https://www.recruitireland.com/company/search/?Company=ZENITH%20IDEAS

zenith ideas, anyone have any information on them ? my friend had a interview yesterday with them and she couldn't find out about what they did but that she will be going out with a team leader to see what the company was about. she heading out about 11 am to 8.30 pm. After reading all these comments I've a feeling its a door to door job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bazatron

Anybody have interaction with Jobs Fundraising? Advert says they have a basic of 300 per week no commission needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leaving cert is fun

Does anyone have information on energizing plus ? they have an advertisement at the minute asking about bar/restaurant / hotel experience on jobs.ie. they say the job consists of customer services, customer relations, sales and promotions. The job offers 300 a week plus in basic bay. does anyone have experience with the company and is the job more than likely d2d sales ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

D2D sales, commission only. Last week I went in for a interview with consultonomics in limerick. Lucky enough I had a read on this thread before I went in so I knew what to expect. Didn't want the job but was hoping to get some interview experience, just ended up the guy telling me how great the company is and all the money you would be making and so fort.

Energizing-Plus's job adverts are word for word the same as consultonomics
    http://www.jobs.ie/Energizing-Plus/
    http://www.jobs.ie/CMS-Acquisitions-Ltd/

Avoid!

neasyerac wrote: »
    D2D sales, commission only. Last week I went in for a interview with consultonomics in limerick. Lucky enough I had a read on this thread before I went in so I knew what to expect. Didn't want the job but was hoping to get some interview experience, just ended up the guy telling me how great the company is and all the money you would be making and so fort.

Energizing-Plus's job adverts are word for word the same as consultonomics

Avoid!

i knew it was too good to be true, ive an interview tomorrow i might still go for the experience of the interview as i havent had many. the but that excited me though is that it states 300 plus weekly salary in galway, how can hotel and pub be d2d ??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 showsaf

So I just got called for an interview tomorrow for Flawless in Sligo. From reading all about the fact that it is commision-based and stories of the chances of actually earning anything, I'm really considering putting it off. I'm desperate for work atm, so that's why I'm still hesitant to put it off just yet. Any more thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Donegal dude

Hey I'm looking for advice, I started my first day today selling door to door for a electricity provider (rather not say who) it was not the start I was hoping for I got 0 sells just abuise which didn't bother me, just the fact I worked all day for nothing, is this common for the first day selling door to door for people to struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sick of these kind of companies coming up in my job searches. Retail job, Call Centre, Warehousing & logistics, you name it, these company come up and there seem to be dozens of them advertising nonsense jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hey I'm looking for advice, I started my first day today selling door to door for a electricity provider (rather not say who) it was not the start I was hoping for I got 0 sells just abuise which didn't bother me, just the fact I worked all day for nothing, is this common for the first day selling door to door for people to struggle?

Yes, this can happen. First 10 seconds is key. What kind of abuse did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Donegal dude

Yes, this can happen. First 10 seconds is key. What kind of abuse did you get?

Just the usual, get the f##k of my property and so on, it's my first time trying this kind of job i wouldn't even call it a job at the minute! But it's soul destroying the whole experience today, I knew it would be tough but it was a hell of a lot harder than I thought, I kind of hoped too get at least 3 sales but it never happened.

Just the usual, get the f##k of my property and so on, it's my first time trying this kind of job i wouldn't even call it a job at the minute! But it's soul destroying the whole experience today, I knew it would be tough but it was a hell of a lot harder than I thought, I kind of hoped too get at least 3 sales but it never happened.

that sounds terrible, im glad i didnt go to my interview now. even though my job apparently had a salary which was bogus according to someone i knew in the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

It must have been bad for you to finally post after registering here in 2012!

Is it residential sales you are doing? If you are working in housing estates be aware they get hammered by all manner of sales people day after day and the residents are just sick to death of being constantly pestered. My advice would be for you to get yourself a little bit further out of town, country roads. They are not pestered as much and the people there can be a lot nice because of it. The only extra issue you will have there is that a lot of country folk wont pay through the bank and you will need their bank details to sign them up, unless you're unfortunate enough to be selling prepay meters.

Ive been selling energy since the year 2000 and I make a lot of money from doing it, so it can be done.

I will be honest though, Ive seen thousands (literally) come and go and if you are suffering so bad on your first day its unlikely you will stick it out. When I started I was excited to do it and in my first week I signed up 51 direct debit and 4 bill pay customers. I was the number one sales person in the UK for all of the years that I was there until I moved to Ireland. Doorstep selling is no longer done in the UK due to bad practices by the energy companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Paddy Irishman1985

How hard is it really to sell door to door? I see jobs advertised for Vodafone, eircom and Energia online all offering a basic pay and commission after that, I know eircom pay 25k a year basic and them commission on your sales after that, but they are always posting the same jobs every few months so the sales targets must be extremely hard to get and I must add its not with eircom its with cpm, I don't know much about vodafones sales process but I assume it's much the same as eircom, so that leaves Energia I know they offer a fairly good deal to new customers as do all them companies most people change energy supplier every year so you would think it would be easier to sell door to door that the telecoms jobs. I never done sales but it's something I'm really considering as I can't get work and it beats sitting at home all day doing nothing, what do you guys and gals recommend to try from the three I named above? Any reply will be appreciated. At the end of the day if it doesn't work out there is no real harm done, I'm just hoping some of you might have some insight on the company's I named and which you's would in theory think be easier to sell?

I know all 3 companies very well having contracts with them all currently. The best by far is Energia. Best rate of pay and they do not have the bad reputation the others have managed to obtain over the years. If you had been a member on boards for longer and had made posts that I could judge your character on, I would have got the right person to contact you to help you along as a fellow boardsie, but as you have just registered I would not be willing to take the chance as there are lots of nonsense accounts setup here all the time.

Jobs.ie has all of the vacancies anyway, so its not too hard to find. Its not an easy job for the average person, but for the right person its a very easy job and hugely rewarding if you get yourself into a good position. Good luck.

I know all 3 companies very well having contracts with them all currently. The best by far is Energia. Best rate of pay and they do not have the bad reputation the others have managed to obtain over the years. If you had been a member on boards for longer and had made posts that I could judge your character on, I would have got the right person to contact you to help you along as a fellow boardsie, but as you have just registered I would not be willing to take the chance as there are lots of nonsense accounts setup here all the time.

Jobs.ie has all of the vacancies anyway, so its not too hard to find. Its not an easy job for the average person, but for the right person its a very easy job and hugely rewarding if you get yourself into a good position. Good luck.

I seen someone said the first 10 seconds is key so if I were to work for a electricity company how would you's approach your first 10 seconds?

Best thing for you to do is go for an interview and then after you have completed the training course, you will be shadowing someone with experience. My best advice I can give you is to find out who the best performer is in whatever hub you work from and ask to go with them to give yourself the best chance of success. In every office, especially tolerated here in Ireland, will be a bunch of under performing dead weights, who are skint and are very negative. They will like to bore you with tales of woe and they will be staring at you as you eat your lunch as they cant afford to buy any as they never get any sales as they are not fit for the job. AVOID THEM.

Be blunt, tell them you're not interested in listening to it and be around those that are laughing and joking and eating.

Genuinely there is plenty of money to be made if you have it in you. If you find yourself talented at direct sales, you would be amazed at the amount of jobs that will suddenly open up to you.

Best thing for you to do is go for an interview and then after you have completed the training course, you will be shadowing someone with experience. My best advice I can give you is to find out who the best performer is in whatever hub you work from and ask to go with them to give yourself the best chance of success. In every office, especially tolerated here in Ireland, will be a bunch of under performing dead weights, who are skint and are very negative. They will like to bore you with tales of woe and they will be staring at you as you eat your lunch as they cant afford to buy any as they never get any sales as they are not fit for the job. AVOID THEM.

Be blunt, tell them you're not interested in listening to it and be around those that are laughing and joking and eating.

Genuinely there is plenty of money to be made if you have it in you. If you find yourself talented at direct sales, you would be amazed at the amount of jobs that will suddenly open up to you.

Thank you for the reply and your advice, I'm going to look into the Energia add that was online and see were it goes, I'll not know till I try!

Are you from Mitch and Murray?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9XW6P0tiVc

Are you from Mitch and Murray?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9XW6P0tiVc

hahahahaha Ive not seen that film for years. Its great though, the script is so accurate. I used to sell timeshare and it was the murkiest world of nonsense, I have some incredible stories from that experience which I wont share here.

hahahahaha Ive not seen that film for years. Its great though, the script is so accurate. I used to sell timeshare and it was the murkiest world of nonsense, I have some incredible stories from that experience which I wont share here.

There's only one thing that matters in this life. Get them to sign on the line which is dotted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaran1996

hi i have a interview with engerizing plus in galway tomorrow. Thinks its for a marketing assistant or customer service position. is it door to door and all commission based pay? thanks,

Advertisement