Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

ciaran1996 wrote: »
    hi i have a interview with engerizing plus in galway tomorrow. Thinks its for a marketing assistant or customer service position. is it door to door and all commission based pay? thanks,

It certainly is pal. The money is out there, pick it up, it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

At this point anyone coming on to this thread asking about XX Company should wander back to the start of the thread and see how many of them still exist which were being asked about at the start. It isn't many. They all follow a similar pattern and burn out due to bad reputation/over saturation after a few years. They burn through a lot of people as well because that's the model.

If they have to bait and switch to get you to go to an interview think about what that says about the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Paddy Irishman1985

So guys I went and done the training day with Energia its all kind of happened very quick to be honest, today I had a guy come out and I watched him to see how he does things, not sure if it for me yet but I'll give it a go I tried a few doors on my own but no joy just a few doors shut in my face lol I'm out on my own tomorrow so should be interesting I'll update the thread tomorrow and let you's know how I get on, do any of you who sold the same or similar thing door to door that might have a bit of advice on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

So guys I went and done the training day with Energia its all kind of happened very quick to be honest, today I had a guy come out and I watched him to see how he does things, not sure if it for me yet but I'll give it a go I tried a few doors on my own but no joy just a few doors shut in my face lol I'm out on my own tomorrow so should be interesting I'll update the thread tomorrow and let you's know how I get on, do any of you who sold the same or similar thing door to door that might have a bit of advice on the whole thing.

I was involved in the launch for the domestic product for them. I was trialing the software on the tablets to make sure it was ready before they started recruiting. It was a very very rainy day in Dundrum in Dublin and I knocked on 11 doors and got 9 doors opened. I signed up every single one of them. I was fortunate in that initial run that I happened to speak to people who were not in contract. Actually 5 of them were old and had never ever switched before so that made it a bit easier, or harder depending on how you approach them.

The main thing people are looking for is that you know what you are talking about and you are trustworthy. If they ask you a question that you do not know the answer to then do not make it up, or say what you think to be true, phone your team leader and find out the answer. the customer will respect the fact you sought the correct answer for them and will be impressed.

Take your time when talking to them. Do not rush in throwing fact after fact at them as it is very off putting. Body language is key. Do not stand right in their face, do not try and seem like youre trying to get in the house from the outset. Lean back with you weight on your back foot. Turn slightly side on to them, you could even stand entirely sideways. Remember to smile at them, but not like some over the top cheese ball. Be absolutely charming and exceptionally polite and courteous. These days, especially in Ireland, people are quite rude and abrupt, so if you make the extra effort to be utterly engaging to speak to, people will subconsciously want to listen to you. Even people who would normally slam the door in the face of most sales people.

I get immense satisfaction from signing up people who say things like "I never normally sign anything at the door!". In fact most of my business came from those kind of customers, the kind who have always been abrupt at the door and scared the sales guy off. Whenever I get someone like that I get excited as I know its not going to be another straight forward sale, I relish the prospect of locking horns and breaking their will. What always happens is that after a bit of back and forth, as they try to suss you out, they start to warm to you and before you know it they are laughing at the stuff you say and you know youre right onto a winner when you are able to have a conversation for a few minutes right from the moment youve knocked the door and youve not once mentioned why you are even there. That ability takes time and Ive only seen 3 people like myself who is natural at doing it.

Another issue a lot of sales reps have is overcoming peoples objections to Direct Debit. Or they mess up when they ask the customer for the account details. Just ask for them outright, in the same manner you are asking for their name. Its no big deal. Its how they will be paying from now on and you require them. Simple as that.

Persistence beats resistance. Most difficult customers do not even know what they are saying no to, they just respond that way whenever anyone knocks the door. So once youve explained the obvious benefits and name dropped half the street (make sure you ask those people when you sign them if its ok to reference them) then the next logical step is for them to sign.

Remember switching energy supplier is actually something EVERYONE should be doing. Ive personally switched every single year since 2000 when I started the job. You are doing them a favour, in reality they should be doing all of this themselves.

Do not be afraid to let people know you have just started. Explain you were a bit scared to knock on doors as you are normally shy, but a lack of opportunity in other sectors forced your hand. Explain you didnt want to sign on benefits. you want to earn your own way. People, especially tax payers, will admire this and will likely feel compassion and say stuff like "oooh its a tough job youre doing, I couldnt do it myself". At that stage let them know you have a target to achieve and you get paid commission (be sure not to sound like youre begging!) and ask them outright "Now that I have explained the benefits of switching supplier and Im sure you will agree there are great savings to be made, (Nod your head as youre saying this and watch them nod along with you!) may I register you for your discount now and also help me with out in my new job?".

If you have took the time to put the groundwork in, if you have got that person to like you and admire you, it would be very difficult for them to say no at this point. Everyone is a winner in this outcome. You must understand in your heart that you switching them does you both a favour, nobody is getting conned.

Its all a fine balancing act and you must overcome objections by repeating the same answers over and over, often they dont really hear them the first few times as they are so suspicious they are barely listening to you.

Did you get the best person in the office to shadow for the day? What office are you based in?

I was involved in the launch for the domestic product for them. I was trialing the software on the tablets to make sure it was ready before they started recruiting. It was a very very rainy day in Dundrum in Dublin and I knocked on 11 doors and got 9 doors opened. I signed up every single one of them. I was fortunate in that initial run that I happened to speak to people who were not in contract. Actually 5 of them were old and had never ever switched before so that made it a bit easier, or harder depending on how you approach them.

The main thing people are looking for is that you know what you are talking about and you are trustworthy. If they ask you a question that you do not know the answer to then do not make it up, or say what you think to be true, phone your team leader and find out the answer. the customer will respect the fact you sought the correct answer for them and will be impressed.

Take your time when talking to them. Do not rush in throwing fact after fact at them as it is very off putting. Body language is key. Do not stand right in their face, do not try and seem like youre trying to get in the house from the outset. Lean back with you weight on your back foot. Turn slightly side on to them, you could even stand entirely sideways. Remember to smile at them, but not like some over the top cheese ball. Be absolutely charming and exceptionally polite and courteous. These days, especially in Ireland, people are quite rude and abrupt, so if you make the extra effort to be utterly engaging to speak to, people will subconsciously want to listen to you. Even people who would normally slam the door in the face of most sales people.

I get immense satisfaction from signing up people who say things like "I never normally sign anything at the door!". In fact most of my business came from those kind of customers, the kind who have always been abrupt at the door and scared the sales guy off. Whenever I get someone like that I get excited as I know its not going to be another straight forward sale, I relish the prospect of locking horns and breaking their will. What always happens is that after a bit of back and forth, as they try to suss you out, they start to warm to you and before you know it they are laughing at the stuff you say and you know youre right onto a winner when you are able to have a conversation for a few minutes right from the moment youve knocked the door and youve not once mentioned why you are even there. That ability takes time and Ive only seen 3 people like myself who is natural at doing it.

Another issue a lot of sales reps have is overcoming peoples objections to Direct Debit. Or they mess up when they ask the customer for the account details. Just ask for them outright, in the same manner you are asking for their name. Its no big deal. Its how they will be paying from now on and you require them. Simple as that.

Persistence beats resistance. Most difficult customers do not even know what they are saying no to, they just respond that way whenever anyone knocks the door. So once youve explained the obvious benefits and name dropped half the street (make sure you ask those people when you sign them if its ok to reference them) then the next logical step is for them to sign.

Remember switching energy supplier is actually something EVERYONE should be doing. Ive personally switched every single year since 2000 when I started the job. You are doing them a favour, in reality they should be doing all of this themselves.

Do not be afraid to let people know you have just started. Explain you were a bit scared to knock on doors as you are normally shy, but a lack of opportunity in other sectors forced your hand. Explain you didnt want to sign on benefits. you want to earn your own way. People, especially tax payers, will admire this and will likely feel compassion and say stuff like "oooh its a tough job youre doing, I couldnt do it myself". At that stage let them know you have a target to achieve and you get paid commission (be sure not to sound like youre begging!) and ask them outright "Now that I have explained the benefits of switching supplier and Im sure you will agree there are great savings to be made, (Nod your head as youre saying this and watch them nod along with you!) may I register you for your discount now and also help me with out in my new job?".

If you have took the time to put the groundwork in, if you have got that person to like you and admire you, it would be very difficult for them to say no at this point. Everyone is a winner in this outcome. You must understand in your heart that you switching them does you both a favour, nobody is getting conned.

Its all a fine balancing act and you must overcome objections by repeating the same answers over and over, often they dont really hear them the first few times as they are so suspicious they are barely listening to you.

Did you get the best person in the office to shadow for the day? What office are you based in?

I am in the west of Ireland I'm not near any of the offices but Galway would be my closest, yea I had a manager out with me he was sound, he was very good when facing customers as in his swagger lol, I in the other hand was a nervous wreck didn't know what to do or where to look when facing customers, hopefully that backwardness will go away after a few doors today, it's all totally new to me this going from working in a factory to knocking on doors but I'm not the type of person who wants to sit at home and just claim my stamps so feck it I'll give this a good go and if anything it will be a experience and who knows maybe a career in sales! I'll not jump the gun yet tho I realise many have probably thought the same as me and didn't like it or failed so I'll take it day by day for the moment.

• Advertisement

I am in the west of Ireland I'm not near any of the offices but Galway would be my closest, yea I had a manager out with me he was sound, he was very good when facing customers as in his swagger lol, I in the other hand was a nervous wreck didn't know what to do or where to look when facing customers, hopefully that backwardness will go away after a few doors today, it's all totally new to me this going from working in a factory to knocking on doors but I'm not the type of person who wants to sit at home and just claim my stamps so feck it I'll give this a good go and if anything it will be a experience and who knows maybe a career in sales! I'll not jump the gun yet tho I realise many have probably thought the same as me and didn't like it or failed so I'll take it day by day for the moment.

The owner of NKC is from Galway, in fact so is the trainer in the Dublin office if you went there.

At least youre starting at a good time of year where you are less likely to get wet. By the time the bad weather starts you will have found your way and getting inside peoples houses will become second nature. I dont get wet at all regardless of the weather. I wouldnt be willing to stand at someones door in the rain and discuss anything, I would be asking to step inside.

Good luck.

The owner of NKC is from Galway, in fact so is the trainer in the Dublin office if you went there.

At least youre starting at a good time of year where you are less likely to get wet. By the time the bad weather starts you will have found your way and getting inside peoples houses will become second nature. I dont get wet at all regardless of the weather. I wouldnt be willing to stand at someones door in the rain and discuss anything, I would be asking to step inside.

Good luck.

Do you still work for nk communications/Energia

Do you still work for nk communications/Energia

I do indeed. Ive had a contract with them for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cms88

Horizon Energy in Cork another one to stay clear off. They were formally know as ''Utility Brokers''

cms88 wrote: »
    Horizon Energy in Cork another one to stay clear off. They were formally know as ''Utility Brokers''

They are good if you want ripped off. I know a few people personally that went and worked for them, to not only be paid very low commission, but also they had a remarkably high cancellation rate, something they wouldnt prove. I would avoid them like the plague.

• Advertisement

They are good if you want ripped off. I know a few people personally that went and worked for them, to not only be paid very low commission, but also they had a remarkably high cancellation rate, something they wouldnt prove. I would avoid them like the plague.

They had quite a bad rep when they were ''Utility brokers'' also. Very much so when it came to mobile sales. Telling customers they would get a phone free etc only to then be charged

Are sales sense still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Are sales sense still around?

Horrible bunch of people

Horrible bunch of people

It always amazed me how they get away with some of the stuff they do

It always amazed me how they get away with some of the stuff they do

Worked there for 9 months rep/couch

Worked there for 9 months rep/couch

Iv head quite a lot of stories about them i have to say

Iv head quite a lot of stories about them i have to say

In the 9 months i was there i saw atleast 80 reps come and go, tim (silly person) is just a IM GREAT person

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Avoid SalesSense like the plague. Complete and total timewasters. Had to do 4 x 400KM round trips in a month for interviews...told me I was in the last two and then said the position was on hold...

They advertised the same position a tad later and never even had teh courtesy to contact me...or call me back after i phoned to ask about the job.

They come across as being very gung ho but are a total mess. Got four different starting salaries form 4 different people.

seanaway wrote: »
    Avoid SalesSense like the plague. Complete and total timewasters. Had to do 4 x 400KM round trips in a month for interviews...told me I was in the last two and then said the position was on hold...

They advertised the same position a tad later and never even had teh courtesy to contact me...or call me back after i phoned to ask about the job.

They come across as being very gung ho but are a total mess. Got four different starting salaries form 4 different people.

What vacany were u applying for??? They employ anybody

What vacany were u applying for??? They employ anybody
    Trainer role.... they told me when I called back the job was gone but you can't believe anything they say.

Stay away...you'll regret having any dealings with them.

I asked them to at least compensate for my travel costs - not aword

• Advertisement

Trainer role.... they told me when I called back the job was gone but you can't believe anything they say.

Stay away...you'll regret having any dealings with them.

I asked them to at least compensate for my travel costs - not aword

I was a trainer/coach with them **** money and long hours taking home 1924 a monrh gor 60 hrs aweek

I was a trainer/coach with them **** money and long hours taking home 1924 a monrh gor 60 hrs aweek
    Yeah, kinda figured it would have been like that...far off the golden promises they gave...
    Did they pay on time for hotels and travel?
    They were full of how well they would take care of trainers on the road.

Yeah, kinda figured it would have been like that...far off the golden promises they gave...
    Did they pay on time for hotels and travel?
    They were full of how well they would take care of trainers on the road.
    Did they f uck first week stayed in 2 hotels never got it back after that never did i stay again i had a fuel card but before i left i filled up my/mrs/kid and mates car so kinda got my own back that tim chat is an awful fool

Did they f uck first week stayed in 2 hotels never got it back after that never did i stay again i had a fuel card but before i left i filled up my/mrs/kid and mates car so kinda got my own back that tim chat is an awful fool
    Had a feeling they'd be like that ok. My plan was to get them to pay in advance if I got it. If they didn't I wasn't going to stay.
    I cannot believe these guys are allowed to stay in business.

Has no one ever taken them to court?

There are loads of companies out there like Sales Sense. The important thing to know is that any genuine company worth their salt and your time, is the company who will ensure they pay your travel costs upfront. In real business the idea that you would pick up the tab yourself is ludicrous. They are simply exploiting the naivety of their target market, the market of the desperate.

Even in the timeshare industry, which is full of not just sharks, but proper hardcore gangsters and crime lords with personal fortunes of £300 million, they still pay for your flights and provide a months free accommodation to give you a chance to get on your feet. If you dont do well, you just go home yourself.

There are loads of companies out there like Sales Sense. The important thing to know is that any genuine company worth their salt and your time, is the company who will ensure they pay your travel costs upfront. In real business the idea that you would pick up the tab yourself is ludicrous. They are simply exploiting the naivety of their target market, the market of the desperate.

Even in the timeshare industry, which is full of not just sharks, but proper hardcore gangsters and crime lords with personal fortunes of £300 million, they still pay for your flights and provide a months free accommodation to give you a chance to get on your feet. If you dont do well, you just go home yourself.

Totally agree with you. The problem is finding a good one training company that will give a full contract.

Rarer than hen's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

I assume, the company "TV Revolution" offers the same (D2D)? I found many offers from them on Gumtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Do you still work for NK Communications TireeTerror? They have a lot of ads on Jobs.ie at the moment, worth applying? Do you get a basic wage plus commission or is it just Commission based with a lot of pressure to meet targets?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Do you still work for NK Communications TireeTerror? They have a lot of ads on Jobs.ie at the moment, worth applying? Do you get a basic wage plus commission or is it just Commission based with a lot of pressure to meet targets?
    I worked with them for Energia there a really nice crowd to work for but it wasn't for me, you are paid commission for me I got 20 euro for the first 15 sales after that you get 25 per sale.
    Too get the basic 200 a week you have to get so many sales to get that I can't remember how many think it's 9.
    If your good at cold calling and can take a little bit of abuse it might be for you.
    You have to go to dundrum for a one day training course it's very easy to find a small village handy parking or the luas runs right beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I worked with them for Energia there a really nice crowd to work for but it wasn't for me, you are paid commission for me I got 20 euro for the first 15 sales after that you get 25 per sale.
    Too get the basic 200 a week you have to get so many sales to get that I can't remember how many think it's 9.
    If your good at cold calling and can take a little bit of abuse it might be for you.
    You have to go to dundrum for a one day training course it's very easy to find a small village handy parking or the luas runs right beside it.

So you're fecked if you only get 8 sales a week? Not the most secure sounding of jobs.

Advertisement