Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Ammo Question

Options
  • 04-10-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I have .22 pistol, Sig Mosquito. It loves CCI Mini Mag High Velocity 22LR 40 Grain. I have run out and all that is available is Remington .22 Yellow Jacket Hyper velocity. What is the difference or is there one? Hyper/High velocity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

CCI Mini Mags = 40gr bullet @1235fps - 136 ft lbs m/e

Remington YJ's = 33gr bullet @1500fps - 165 ft lbs m/e

You choose.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

knockon wrote: »
    I have .22 pistol, Sig Mosquito. It loves CCI Mini Mag High Velocity 22LR 40 Grain. I have run out and all that is available is Remington .22 Yellow Jacket Hyper velocity. What is the difference or is there one? Hyper/High velocity.

CCI Stinger are on a par with Yellow jacket, all I used for years when I only had a .22lr for foxes, was CCI Stingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

knockon wrote: »
    There's quite a bit of discussion about 22lr pistol ammo on the 'Buck Mark' slide thread.

You certainly don't need to use high/hyper velocity rounds in a pistol; unless it's got a recoil spring that came from the suspension of a land rover ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You certainly don't need to use high/hyper velocity rounds in a pistol; unless it's got a recoil spring that came from the suspension of a land rover

+1 to that. I was using Mini mags too until rrpc set me straight. Granted the Mini mags worked reliably, but the various subsonics I've used have cycled equally well and been more accurate to boot, not to mention easier on the recoil.

The only type that wouldn't cycle for me in the Buck Mark happened to be standard velocity in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

rrpc wrote: »
    There's quite a bit of discussion about 22lr pistol ammo on the 'Buck Mark' slide thread.

You certainly don't need to use high/hyper velocity rounds in a pistol; unless it's got a recoil spring that came from the suspension of a land rover ;)

Ok
    I found I was getting a lot of "stove piping" using the Mini mags so on Griz advice I changed the spring on the slide to a stronger tension and it was perfect (even on the Mosquito!). I was at the range last week and had a box of Eleys .22 (not High Velocity) - absolute disaster. Ever second round was jambing etc. I am not all that well educated on ammunition so forgive the basic explanation. So you are saying use a lower tension spring for sub-sonic will work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Not a lot of ranges will allow you use HV 22s - it's a noise thing.

If you have put in a heavier spring to suit using Mini Mags then it may be too heavy for using subs.

Subs are more accurate - no doubt about it - the original spring would have been made to handle those.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    Not a lot of ranges will allow you use HV 22s - it's a noise thing.

If you have put in a heavier spring to suit using Mini Mags then it may be too heavy for using subs.

Subs are more accurate - no doubt about it - the original spring would have been made to handle those.

B'Man
    +1. Also apart from the noise, there can be issues with bullet catchers, baffles etc.

Use the original spring and subs will work fine.

Advertisement