Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nrsv Bible translation.....

• 04-10-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I'm studying Theology and I'm wondering why it is universities prefer you use the Nrsv translation as opposed to any other? they say its because its what the scholars are using but I'm still confused as to why? anyone here who can help me answer my question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

NRSV is widely held in academia because of its accuracy to the original languages. It's a literal translation, and regarded as one of the most accurate. It on the other hand, IMO isn't the most readable due to this literal translation philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would have thought that your lecturers would be the people to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I would have thought that your lecturers would be the people to ask.

*hands up* ok ok I was bored and looking for a topic to come up with, am I the only one on this forum who does so? :rolleyes:;):D

You pointed out the obvious though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Onesimus wrote: »
    I was bored and looking for a topic to come up with, am I the only one on this forum who does so?

How about explaining how Protestants personal interpretation of the Bible is problematic when Roman Catholics do the same thing (in interpreting the Bible to support Rome as the ones ordained to interpret).

:)

How about explaining how Protestants personal interpretation of the Bible is problematic when Roman Catholics do the same thing (in interpreting the Bible to support Rome as the ones ordained to interpret).

:)

Antiskeptic, why would you want to begin such a conversation with a foolish person such as myself?

• Advertisement

Antiskeptic, why would you want to begin such a conversation with a foolish person such as myself?

I've not called you nor have I implied that you are a fool. Nor do I think that you are a fool. As for the topic? The only two answers I've ever heard boil down to:

1) "Christ established his (Roman Catholic) church and the gates etc. They are the authority charged with interpreting the bible. I know this because "on this rock.." (circular reasoning)

2) "Christ established his (Roman Catholic) church and the gates etc. They are the authority charged with interpreting the bible". (ducking the question)

...and I was bored figured to give you a bite of the .. er.. apple

I've not called you nor have I implied that you are a fool. Nor do I think that you are a fool. As for the topic? The only two answers I've ever heard boil down to:

1) "Christ established his (Roman Catholic) church and the gates etc. They are the authority charged with interpreting the bible. I know this because "on this rock.." (circular reasoning)

2) "Christ established his (Roman Catholic) church and the gates etc. They are the authority charged with interpreting the bible". (ducking the question)

...and I was bored figured to give you a bite of the .. er.. apple

Antiskeptic, I know you are not calling me a fool, I am stating that I am a fool, so why would you want to have such a debate with a foolish person as myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

My university didn't push any one translation. We were told we could use pretty well any translation except the King James Version.

Antiskeptic, I know you are not calling me a fool, I am stating that I am a fool, so why would you want to have such a debate with a foolish person as myself?

Realising oneself a fool takes a certain amount of smarts. That smarts is who I'd figure to be discussing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Afaik, the NRSV is very similar to the RSV but uses inclusive language.

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »

It also removes the archaic 'thee' and 'thou' when addressed to God.

PDN wrote: »
    My university didn't push any one translation. We were told we could use pretty well any translation except the King James Version.

Why not the KJV?

Why not the KJV?

Just not up to scratch on the accuracy stakes. Those who would use the KJV in academic settings tend to do so for ideological reasons, rather than based on its rendering of the Greek and Hebrew.

Realising oneself a fool takes a certain amount of smarts. That smarts is who I'd figure to be discussing with.

Really? then if I am so smart, why dont you become like me? for if I were to label you to be so smart and wise, would I not become as you are?

Really? then if I am so smart, why dont you become like me? for if I were to label you to be so smart and wise, would I not become as you are?

Become like you? I too engage in foolishness and am smart enough to see that I do. It would seem we are as each other in fact.

So why not discuss the topic suggestion utilising the smarts we both have?

Become like you? I too engage in foolishness and am smart enough to see that I do. It would seem we are as each other in fact.

So why not discuss the topic suggestion utilising the smarts we both have?

If we are infact the same as each other, and as smart as the the other, then we would both be one in belief. Thus if we were to utilise the smarts we both have it would be useless, and would suggest that one is more a fool than the other. That would be me of course, for being the unintelligent being I am, it would take the smarts of God to help me comprehend this.

If we are infact the same as each other, and as smart as the the other, then we would both be one in belief. Thus if we were to utilise the smarts we both have it would be useless, and would suggest that one is more a fool than the other. That would be me of course, for being the unintelligent being I am, it would take the smarts of God to help me comprehend this.

I didn't say we were the same as each other, I merely said that I too am smart enough to see that I engage in foolishness. I might be smarter or less smart than you. I might engage in different types of foolishness than you do.

The same in a broad sense (just as we are the same in both being human) but different in an individual sense. And so able to engage on an internet discussion forum.

But just not on the topic suggested it would appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Ah, a game of smarty fooly ey?!

I didn't say we were the same as each other, I merely said that I too am smart enough to see that I engage in foolishness. I might be smarter or less smart than you. I might engage in different types of foolishness than you do.

The same in a broad sense (just as we are the same in both being human) but different in an individual sense. And so able to engage on an internet discussion forum.

But just not on the topic suggested it would appear.
    It would seem we are as each other in fact.
    ???

But you see, I dont engage in foolishness, I AM a fool thus engaging with me in any type of conversation is useless. Yes we are both human, but who is the bigger fool? surely I would retain this title :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

antiskeptic - for the love of God, please do not re-open this thread.

• Advertisement

For God's sake guys! While calling yourselves fools is better than calling other people fools (the usual default position on boards.ie) let's leave it at that? You're both equally foolish, therefore equally smart, and we can discuss Bible translations now. Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Hi, PDN. I just bought an NRSV. I have an NIV also.
    Here is a very interesting lecture you might like. (btw he states a few times here that he is not a KJV only man).
    This is long, 9 videos, so if you have the time, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

lionmqj wrote: »
    Hi, PDN. I just bought an NRSV. I have an NIV also.
    Here is a very interesting lecture you might like. (btw he states a few times here that he is not a KJV only man).
    This is long, 9 videos, so if you have the time, enjoy.
    The intro of the video made me long for death, so I stopped watching. What's the gist of it?

Puck wrote: »
    The intro of the video made me long for death, so I stopped watching. What's the gist of it?

Before I spend 10 minutes watching a youtube video I want to know if it's worth the bother (most videos say in 10 minutes what you can read in 30 seconds).

So I googled Walter Veith. The first sentence of his wikipedia entry (Walter Julius Veith is an author and speaker known for his work in nutrition, creationism and other Christian topics) made me decide not to bother.

Before I spend 10 minutes watching a youtube video I want to know if it's worth the bother (most videos say in 10 minutes what you can read in 30 seconds).

So I googled Walter Veith. The first sentence of his wikipedia entry (Walter Julius Veith is an author and speaker known for his work in nutrition, creationism and other Christian topics) made me decide not to bother.

Ah come on ............... really.

Isnt that judging a book by its cover mate?

Did you even give the video ten min's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

lionmqj wrote: »
    Ah come on ............... really.

Isnt that judging a book by its cover mate?

Did you even give the video ten min's?

TBH, its just saying, thats alot of time to be wasting if it turns out to be a crock. Best for you to summarise the point, and refer to the video if needed. I looked at the first one and a bit of the second one. Not impressed enough to go on with it myself. Though, if you were, maybe you could summarise what you took from it?

JimiTime wrote: »
    TBH, its just saying, thats alot of time to be wasting if it turns out to be a crock. Best for you to summarise the point, and refer to the video if needed. I looked at the first one and a bit of the second one. Not impressed enough to go on with it myself. Though, if you were, maybe you could summarise what you took from it?

Ok I get you. I'm not an educated man so Ill try. It touches on where our bible comes from, what the the Jehovah's witnesses done to it to make it their own, how the jesuits came into play, what happened around the reformation, how the vatican was trying to destroy it by deploying the jesuits (ordering them to cast the teachings of the bible aside........), what the spanish armada had to do with it.

(One point I must be clear on, I belive that the Bible is the Word of God, from Gen to Rev. It is inerrent, suffiant......etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

kelly1 wrote: »
    Aah! The latter might be THE reason behind their choice of the NRSV.

Queen's in Belfast, for example, will apply sanctions against anyone who does not use gender inclusive language in their written material. This applies across the disciplines, as far as I'm aware, not just Theology.

One wrong use of 'man' and you fall down the manperson-hole.
    To them that find Thee all in all.

Bernard of Clairvaux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Walter Veith is Seventh Day Adventist isn't he? That explains the interest in nutrution. I think church founder Ellen White was big on vegitarianism.

• Advertisement

Yes thats right georgieporgy as far as I'm aware he is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church

In this video though, he does'nt talk doctrine.
    Just the bible, it's fascinating.

Advertisement