Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

g-grandfather irish militery records

• 04-10-2010 6:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

mods, i am not sure i this should be here .............

well, my g-grandfathers records turned up today and i am very confused.

according to the records he enlisted in 1922 and was discharged in 1924 according to my gran in was in the army until he retired.

and he appears to only have been a private rather then a Sargent like she said:confused:

Could i be missing some of the irish records?

thanks

IB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

There is a department you can ring regarding records,but I cant remember which department it is at the moment sorry.

But I am sure someone else will point you in the right direction. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

There is a department you can ring regarding records,but I cant remember which department it is at the moment sorry.

But I am sure someone else will point you in the right direction. :)

they have come from cathal burgha archives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

irishbird wrote: »
    they have come from cathal burgha archives

Yup,I think thats where you ring. But if they came from there I would assume they will just tell you what is on the records.

Still,maybe its worth a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Address
    Officer in Charge(I think its Comdt. Laing),
    Military Archives,
    Cathal Brugha Barracks,
    Rathmines,
    Dublin 6.

Telephone
    01 8046457

For privacy reasons, the records are only available to next of kin though, so you'll prob have to get your gran to sign or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

yekahs wrote: »
    Address
    Officer in Charge(I think its Comdt. Laing),
    Military Archives,
    Cathal Brugha Barracks,
    Rathmines,
    Dublin 6.

Telephone
    01 8046457

For privacy reasons, the records are only available to next of kin though, so you'll prob have to get your gran to sign or something.

That is the route that I went down to check out my late father's military record.

Sadly, I got stone-walled. A copy of his and my birth certificate was not good enough to prove a kinship, so I hope you do better than I did.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement