Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish version of http://www.mysociety.org

Options
  • 04-10-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

yup I would like to do an irish version of http://www.mysociety.org and I am looking for some volunteers both developers, designers (my css isn't great), researchers etc.

let me know if you are interested by posting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd like to be able to provide some time and dev work towards this. Depends on the time commitment though.

What would you use to build it? From our pm's you've suggested Ruby - I'll put a vote in for python? Django is a good framework, the google app engine is good too (and it supports django). Quick turn around time with python from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I am open to any framework. (I'm from a MS background but a good excuse to learn something new).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Please not php! :pac:

Have a look at python, and the google app engine. Depending on the traffic hosting on the GAE could be free or next to nothing. Otherwise a *traditional* hosting solution would be just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Which version of MySociety specifically do you want to implement, there's a few pieces of software involved.

kildarestreet.com is one excellent site that covers the Dáil anyway. Is it the mapping one you're referring to?

If it's the fixmystreet site, then I think that's a great idea. I looked into it a few months ago and discovered a few small things that may help you out. 1 all the code for fixmystreet is open source :) but it's tied into the UK ordinance survey maps, and 2, that fixmystreet.ca (the canadian version) is also open source and much more modern in it's coding. I believe it's Python with Geo-Django and google maps. There's also an iphoen app that hooks into it, so that is most likely a good starting point.

I'm be delighted to volunteer my design services to improve the visual design, UX, marketing & strategy once you have a rough version working. Just drop me a PM/email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi Op,
    Just hit on your thread after googling "mysociety Irish version?" when I saw article about founder of mysociety.org in this morning's Observer.
    Any progress on the site yet? Definitely think it's hour has come...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

no progress yet. Busy working at my day job. But if you are interested in helping?

Advertisement