Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9,6escape for begginer

Options
  • 04-10-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I m beginner surfer ,I want buy board 9,6escape but Im not sure about that brand.IF samebody can write more and wht think about this board. I 180cm and 96kg,THANKS FOR HELP:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi There,
    Escape make excellent surfboards:) A 9'6" is just the right size for a beginner.

The bad news is, a fiberglass or Epoxy surfboard is more suitable for an intermediate to advanced surfer.
    If you are just starting out, you are lightly to be spending lots of time riding broken waves. In chest to waist deep water.
    This kind of surfing, is very hard on a surfboard.
    Every wipe-out is gonna crack ( Or as we surfers say) "DING" the fiberglass, on a decent board:eek:

If the Escape is a good deal, buy it....Just be prepaired to spend lots of time with fiberglass resin, patching those dings:eek:

My first board was a plactic, or ACS bic magnum, totaly indestructable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sorry really think its a bad idea, have you ever seen what a longboard fin can do if it hits someone:eek:

A 9'6 is a big board and would be lethal weapon in the hands of a beginner.

I think you should go for a 7'9 mal with normal tri fins

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Every wipe-out is gonna crack ( Or as we surfers say) "DING" the fiberglass, on a decent board

What are you talking about? Every wipe-out does not ding a board. I have boards that I am willing to admit to wiping out on :) and they have no dings on them. Dings on boards are from impacts with other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Softop rules the waves for learning on imho theres one that has passed around a load of us and is the go to board if anyones board is gettting dings fixed etc. everyone loves the pink lady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭nickybutler

Get a decent fibreglass longboard. Escape use good foam and glass and are very sturdy boards. If you buy a cheaper fibreglass board you run the risk of crap foam or fibreglass which is easier to damage.

Stay away from epoxy boards, there not as good, though some people will argue. If your going for an epoxy stay away from the cheap beginner orientated ones.

Once you have your fibreglass board look after it like a baby, keep a good distance from other surfers in the water, stay away from to close to the shore and away from rocks, get a bag for it and use a roof rack and be carefull.

Worse case scanario drop it into a surf shop for a repair or get a repair kit and do it yourself. Never surf a board with a crack or a ding in it. You dont want any water getting in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

What are you talking about? Every wipe-out does not ding a board. I have boards that I am willing to admit to wiping out on :) and they have no dings on them. Dings on boards are from impacts with other things.

True, every wipeout isn't neccessarily going to ding a polyester board.
    But the kind of surfing a begginer is lightly to be doing, like surfing broken waves in shallow water.
    This is very hard on on a fiberglass/polyester/type surfboard:eek:
    I have seen so many newbie surfers, wreck very espensive boards:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

One of my earlier boards was similar to whats shown in the link below;

http://www.escapesurfboards.co.uk/p/91-nose-rider--5289

Great board, was very happy with it but cost a bomb in comparison with something similar shaped locally.
    Now use it as a back up board or in conditions that may suit it better over my other boards.

If you want to get a real poly Longboard then do so but be mindful of it, both for its own sake and especially for the sake of others nearby.

However I'd recommend you talking to an Irish based shaper instead. More input into your board, you end up with a more individual custom stick, ya support local business and you save cash too.

Various details regarding local shapers both here and on longboardireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JeanOH

the guys at shorebreak surfboards in kerry always seem to have a stock of secondhand boards...they have a website www.shorebreaksurfboards.com

Advertisement