Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with rent payment

Options
  • 04-10-2010 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello I am currently stuck in a rut here with regards to paying the rent. I am currently in shared accommodation and moved in on the 20th of September, and am paying the sum of €400 per month for the bedroom I’m in.

However, tonight the landlord has called to the house collecting rent off of the tenants saying that he collects rent on the first Monday of each month. But I do not understand this as I thought the rent I paid on the 20th of September covered me up until the 20th of October. It is only 14 days since I paid the €400, so I do not understand how I could be paying again on the 4th of October, when that €400 is supposed to cover me until the 20th of October.

If I’m not mistaken, this would mean me losing approximately €200. Am I correct in making this assumption, and if so – is there a problem here?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Talk to the landlord when he arrives, but there could be 1 of two things happening.

1. The initial sum you paid was the deposit plus rent for 10 days.
    or
    2. The €400 you paid covers you to October 19th, and he now wants to collect another 100odd (130ish maybe), which will cover you up to the end of October completely. After that you'll pay your rent monthly with everyone else.

It would be difficult for the landlord to keep track of each persons moving in date and calling each month on different days to pick up different people's rent. On top of that it would be more disruptive to the entire household trying to keep track of the 3/4 times a month he'll be turning up. This way the landlord calls just once a month, and is out of everyone's hair the rest of the time.

He should have made that clearer to you when you moved in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did you meet/speak with the landlord before you moved in? And did you discuss the payment of rent with them - i.e. does he expect you to pay for the full month of Sept even though you only moved in on 20 Sept? Or did you only talk to the tenants who are already living there?

So you paid 400 euro expecting that to last you until the end of Oct, but the landlord wants his rent paid at the start of each month, which means you've paid c. 200 more than necessary. Chat to the landlord, explain the situation and say that seeing as you've already paid 400 euro that you'll just give another c. 200 which brings the balance to c. 600 as by the end of Oct you'll be there for 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Payment issue

convert wrote: »
    Did you meet/speak with the landlord before you moved in? And did you discuss the payment of rent with them - i.e. does he expect you to pay for the full month of Sept even though you only moved in on 20 Sept? Or did you only talk to the tenants who are already living there?

So you paid 400 euro expecting that to last you until the end of Oct, but the landlord wants his rent paid at the start of each month, which means you've paid c. 200 more than necessary. Chat to the landlord, explain the situation and say that seeing as you've already paid 400 euro that you'll just give another c. 200 which brings the balance to c. 600 as by the end of Oct you'll be there for 6 weeks.

If not quite clear on the situation, but the other tenants paid full rent - and i'm not sure if this will be expected of me as well. If so, what should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If not quite clear on the situation, but the other tenants paid full rent - and i'm not sure if this will be expected of me as well. If so, what should I do?

When did you agree to take the accommodation and when did the landlord tell you you could move in? If it was the case that you agreed to take it in September but didn't move in until the end of the month, then you would be liable for the full month as you could have had use of for the entire month. It wasn't the landlord's fault you didn't move in until the end of the month.

However, if it is the case that you both agreed you would move in on the 20 Sept. and you have signed a lease you need to have a look at it and see what it says re. payment of rent?

You didn't mention if you met the landlord before you moved in and if anything was agreed regarding the payment of rent for each month or part thereof?

Did the other tenants move in at the same time as you or were they there before you? If you all moved in at the same time, then you could work as a group and inform the landlord that you will all just pay extra rent for the 2 weeks you were there, but will not pay a full month's rent for that period.

Advertisement