Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to have a CF rifle back in Ireland, question

Options
  • 04-10-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

As some of you know, I've got a fairly large collection of rifles pistols and shotguns here in the states.
    I want to have a target shooting rig for the time I spend back in Ireland.
    I stay mostly in northern Cavan and north east Kildare.
    Would midlands be the closest place for me to join for CF target shooting?
    If so, do they have an enrollment period? Do they require a current member to vouch for you? How do they feel about milsurp stuff (I'd like to have a K31 or Swedish Mauser ...)

Any members that could help me out with these questions?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'm only a member of Midlands a short while, but...
    • Midlands is the closest range I can think of to both those places which serves centre-fire rifle well. The only other ranges "nearby" to you that I can think of that shoot centrefire anything would be Lough Bo and Harbour House, but I don't know how well they're set up for centrefire rifle.
    • The membership form does ask for a proposer and seconder from the existing membership, but if finding two is an issue for you contact Jim or JP and explain the situation. (Contact details on the website).
    • Classic/vintage milsurp shouldn't be an issue at all. K31s, Lee Enfields and Swedish Mausers have all been shot there.

Give Midlands a ring and/or drop in next time you're in the country. There's no substitute for seeing for yourself to see if it will suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You might want to check this site out as well while you're waiting for GMT to roll around...

http://vcrai.com/

I'm sure someone from that club will be along here soon to fill you in on the details, but I think they shoot in the midlands range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

firefly08 wrote: »
    You might want to check this site out as well while you're waiting for GMT to roll around...

http://vcrai.com/

I'm sure someone from that club will be along here soon to fill you in on the details, but I think they shoot in the midlands range.

Yes, the VCRAI shoot at the Midlands and also at An Riocht [on occasions]. There are a few on THIS site who are members of this fine organisation of keen vintage arm shooters.

Did I mention that they are a great bunch of lads, helpful as well as knowledgeable?

And did I also mention what a great bunch they are?

AND helpful?

tac
    www.vcrai.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

IRLConor wrote: »
    I'm only a member of Midlands a short while, but...
    • Midlands is the closest range I can think of to both those places which serves centre-fire rifle well. The only other ranges "nearby" to you that I can think of that shoot centrefire anything would be Lough Bo and Harbour House, but I don't know how well they're set up for centrefire rifle.

I'm pretty sure that neither Lough Bo nor Harbour House have fullbore rifle ranges quite yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rovi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that neither Lough Bo nor Harbour House have fullbore rifle ranges quite yet.

Cool, just didn't want to leave anyone out unnecessarily! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Guys,

Lough Bo are authorised up to .308 as far as I am aware, but only have a 100 Metre range.

Regards

DB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Midlands would appear to be the best option for distance and availability of ranges. They have 3 seperate fullbore ranges.
    1. 100 -300 mtr range with over 20 sheltered firing point.
    2. 100 - 600 yard windmill range.
    3. 800 - 1,200 yard windmill range.
    They also have the highest authorisation allowing pretty much every caliber rifle to be shot there. Give them a shout and maybe drop by for a look see.

MNSCI.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement