Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triton t90i not heating water!

Options
  • 04-10-2010 7:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

in the last few days my triton t901 isnt heating the water as much as it should.last week the dial was at 3 where as this week i have to turn it to 8 or 9 to get the same temp.
    one other thing it tripped the switch while using it last week,think the problem started after that!
    any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

try de-scaling the shower head

have a look under plumbing and heating forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055951534&highlight=triton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

how would i do that meer cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320
    click on above link
    when you are there click search forum
    then type in triton t90 not heating
    plenty of posts on this problem

sorry misread your post
    you can buy a kettle de scaler or use vinegar

ok thanks meercat just read your link.i checked the filter in the unit earlier and it was crystal clear,ill try descaling the head now.

ok thanks meercat,i checket the filter in the un it earlier it was clean,ill try descaling it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

maybe an elements gone open-circuit -assuming it's not going hot and cold

you will have to turn it up in colder weather-but not that much

it holds the temperature but the dial is 180 degrees further than it should be to get the same temp.

same temperature as previously

but dial up higher and less water pressure?

nail on the head here cebee! do you reckon its the heating element

'probably' an element open-circuit then i would think

but couldn't be certain

• Advertisement

now the most important question,is it expensive to replace parts and labour?

ahh- you can't be certain til you get it checked

wait around you may get more opinions:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Im with m cebee on this one, one of the elements has stopped working most likely. Scale on shower head will cause the water to get hotter not colder, and sudden major drop but you can get it hotter by turning up the dial(reducing flow) means one of the 2 elements is not working.

Colder nights can cause shower to run colder needing a turn up in temperature dial, but it would not be that drastic.

It could be element gone, push on connection gone bad, heat selector switch gone, an electrician can find that problem easy enough.

Update;
    Just noticed OP said it tripped breaker when problem first started, element gone so by the sound of that, I never looked at replacing the tank in them showers, i would`t imagine they would be cheap,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I replaced a heating can/element in one of those before (as in the whole heating assembly/ unit, not the actual element)
    I'm sure I got the part in a place off the Lucan dual carriageway (near or at the turn for maynooth) the place does parts for triton (seem to be a dealer for them). Id say its a third to a quarter the price of a new one but it was a good while back and extended the life of the shower a good bit (so long i cant rememeber the exact price of the part, approx 76ishhh)
    The last time I rang them looking for parts I was told the T90i was not supported anymore.
    Is yours the type without an on-off button? T90i was.
    I ended up getting parts for a Trtion and a Mira in a largish plumbing wholesalers on the north side some where but unfortunately I cant recal the name of it.

i've replaced a few over the years for people-cost about 90

still on the original mira elite myself

it was the element that was gone.replaced the whole unit with a t90xr bought it for 240euro.its the only shower in the house so couldnt be waiting around trying to get parts.thanks for the help!

it was the element that was gone.replaced the whole unit with a t90xr bought it for 240euro.its the only shower in the house so couldnt be waiting around trying to get parts.thanks for the help!

Best solution to that problem.

hmmm what area are you in? did you throw the old one out yet?

Merch wrote: »
    hmmm what area are you in? did you throw the old one out yet?
    kerry,and i still have the old one,sparky said its just the element gone in it.

Ah Kerry, too far for me, I'm in Dublin, if you were throwing it out might have taken it off your hands :D
    You might have a few spare parts in there, well maybe brushes

• Advertisement

im keeping it for parts for when the new one starts playing up.

I'm not sure if the parts in the T90i ar compatible with the T90xr,(not just saying that) just that it seemed to me as if they were differantly shaped,(probably done on purpose) but you may still get a few parts out of it.I'd be keeping it if it was myself.
    Still, least you're not just chucking it out, I'd probably threw you a few quid if you were near but, too far to be worth it.

the sparky told me to keep it so it must be pretty similar.
    if someone from triton is reading this why did you have to reposition the screws in the bloody housing.was it beyond the bounds of thinking that people might just want to place the new one in exactly the same place as the old one.

the rep was here recently- but got booted out:)

if someone from triton is reading this why did you have to reposition the screws in the bloody housing.was it beyond the bounds of thinking that people might just want to place the new one in exactly the same place as the old one.

Its things like that which would make you pull your hair out when doing these jobs, terminals too small to loop connections in light fittings etc, holes not the same like your saying here, no thinking at all.

The holes wont line up with an T90xr but you can use maybe up to three of them and then drill one new hole.
    Similarily the internal parts look very similar but, think they looked slightly differant shape, so you cant replace exactly a T90xr part with a T90xr, but dont take my word for it, have a look, some parts may be suitable.

Personally I think they have considered this, if you had a Triton shower it probably lasted for ages but was replaced because one part went kaput, you then have a few spares on hand but cant really re-use an old part as a spare as its not an exact fit.
    I'd still hold onto it, someone might have a T90i and need something other than the heater can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭championc

Merch wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the parts in the T90i ar compatible with the T90xr,(not just saying that) just that it seemed to me as if they were differantly shaped,(probably done on purpose) but you may still get a few parts out of it.I'd be keeping it if it was myself.
    Still, least you're not just chucking it out, I'd probably threw you a few quid if you were near but, too far to be worth it.

Just a question, is the water feed on a T90xr in exactly the same place as a T90i. A friends' T90i has gone wallop so needs to know if it's a simple swap (apart from some plate screw holes not lining up with the previous ones)

C

championc wrote: »
    Just a question, is the water feed on a T90xr in exactly the same place as a T90i. A friends' T90i has gone wallop so needs to know if it's a simple swap (apart from some plate screw holes not lining up with the previous ones)

C

They are in the same position alright, on the bottom left of the unit when the cover is off.

Advertisement