Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Star.

Options
  • 04-10-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

just out the front of my house in Mallow and i could see this brightish star, it was fading bright and dark for about 10 minutes and then it vanished, there are no aircraft in the area as i have checked and the sky is clear. any ideas what it was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

whats a chinese lantern? this star was not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WE REALLY HAV TO GET THAT THREAD STICKIED!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NBCPass

It's a star.....

chinese lantern my ass, it was still doing it at 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

chinese lantern my ass, it was still doing it at 4am.

Any details eg. direction (at 8pm and 4am), brightness, colour, etc
    There were a lot of small clouds passing fast over Co Cork last night, that only made themselves known by blocking out stars. It wasn't a totally clear night.
    I was out about 12 and was momentarily confused because the sky seemed clear but there was no sign of Jupiter, until a small cloud I couldn't see, moved away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any details eg. direction (at 8pm and 4am), brightness, colour, etc
    There were a lot of small clouds passing fast over Co Cork last night, that only made themselves known by blocking out stars. It wasn't a totally clear night.
    I was out about 12 and was momentarily confused because the sky seemed clear but there was no sign of Jupiter, until a small cloud I couldn't see, moved away.

Exactly same for me, the sky looked clear last night but it wasn't. Jupiter kept poking in and out all night with it's brightness changing all over the place. There must have been a good bit of broken high stratus clouds about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Selected

just out the front of my house in Mallow and i could see this brightish star, it was fading bright and dark for about 10 minutes and then it vanished, there are no aircraft in the area as i have checked and the sky is clear. any ideas what it was?

I saw that too.

Yesterday evening, around dusk, (all cloud formations were clearly visible, sky was still blue) to the west. Shone very brightly (much brighter than any star I've ever seen) for a few seconds and then faded.

Normally, I don't pay much attention to these things, as they invariably turn out to be some other phenomena, but this definitely got my attention.

As for the Chinese Lantern theory, Mallow is a long way from West Cork.

Also, there have been a few UFO sightings reported in Cork over the last few days.

This was definitely a stationary object however.

I’ve been thinking about it all day.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Could it have been a supernova explosion?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I will be laughed at for saying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Could it have been a supernova explosion?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I will be laughed at for saying that

Very unlikely, but not something to be laughed at over ;)

• Advertisement

It was actually doing it again tonight and there was deffo not a cloud in the sky. just kept geting bright and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was actually doing it again tonight and there was deffo not a cloud in the sky. just kept geting bright and dark.

Only clouds can cause a star to do that to the naked eye. No star varies that much that quickly as you look at it. Yes some do flicker a good bit but their brightness does not vary by any order of magnitude over the space of a few minutes without cloud cover of some kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

If you really are curious to find out what this is, why wont you give any details eg time, direction, an estmate of brightness, hight above the horizon etc....:confused:
    Nobody can answer your question unless you provide these.
    You said earlier you saw it at approx 8pm then again at 4am, where in the sky was it at both times.??

Advertisement